| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1661 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 67  Next
 Post subject: Re: Had enough of body shaming?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:41 am 
Semen Strong

A fine selection of dresses for the discerning fuller-figured gal, now in Rhino (both white and black!), Manatee, Elephant and the ever popular Humpback Whale. And check out our winter coat in Giant Grizzly Bear brown.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:34 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

That reminds me of a time maybe 15 years ago when I was outlet shopping with friends and we noticed this horrible dress in the window of Dress Barn Woman (the "plus size" branch of Dress Barn) - it had pictures of burgers, fries, and shakes on it! As if their designer was like "Fat women like fast food - let's put it on a dress!"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:42 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

fork them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:55 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

One of the comments said something about Manatee being a real name for a color, used in the fashion industry. I did a quick google search and I did see one dress that had that color name:

http://www.shopblueeyedgirl.com/product ... MgodczMAAw

I think it's possible that this was just an unfortunate mistake that the regular dress and the plus sized one had different names. I just doubt that Target would do something that was so malicious on purpose, because they must have known they would get called out on it.

ETA: here's a link to other Target products with that color, I found it in a different article:

http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=mana ... ox_manatee

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:07 pm 
WRETCHED

Quarantined wrote:
One of the comments said something about Manatee being a real name for a color, used in the fashion industry. I did a quick google search and I did see one dress that had that color name:

http://www.shopblueeyedgirl.com/product ... MgodczMAAw

I think it's possible that this was just an unfortunate mistake that the regular dress and the plus sized one had different names. I just doubt that Target would do something that was so malicious on purpose, because they must have known they would get called out on it.

ETA: here's a link to other Target products with that color, I found it in a different article:

http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=mana ... ox_manatee

I'd be inclined to believe an unfortunate mistake if the dresses were of 2 different materials, 2 different brands and possibly every other color didn't align. Being the same brand, same style, same material, every color having same name but for the grey?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:09 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I think that's easily explained because if Manatee is actually the official color, and someone just imputted the non-plus-sized dress in with a more generic color name (heather gray), not looking at what the official name was.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:19 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm really not trying to believe the worst about Target (or whoever put in the color name) but I'm pretty dubious.

Also, if you look at the color for Manatee Grey, if it is an official color, the other descriptions for it look to be much lighter than the dress. It lines up more colorwise with other darker grey items from Mossimo that are all labeled heather grey. Not that it couldn't be an honest mistake but I'm not really buying it.

Last edited by linanil on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:19 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I think somebody in marketing or merchandizing did it on purpose as a subtle like joke. Not like stuff like that never happens.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:23 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

linanil wrote:
I'm really not trying to believe the worst about Target (or whoever put in the color name) but I'm pretty dubious.

Also, if you look at the color for Manatee Grey, if it is an official color, the other descriptions for it look to be much lighter than the dress. It lines up more colorwise with other darker grey items from Mossimo that are all labeled heather grey. Not that it couldn't be an honest mistake but I'm not really buying it.

yeah that's true, I didn't really notice that.

lavawitch wrote:
I think somebody in marketing or merchandizing did it on purpose as a subtle like joke. Not like stuff like that never happens.

That's is possible- if so I'm sure they are going to fired pretty quick. I bet they can easily figure it out if that's true because they'll know how the official color should have been inputted.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:29 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Tofulish wrote:
A fine selection of dresses for the discerning fuller-figured gal, now in Rhino (both white and black!), Manatee, Elephant and the ever popular Humpback Whale. And check out our winter coat in Giant Grizzly Bear brown.
And for those who prefer trousers: the Hippo-bottomus! (Does it make me a bad person that I am never going to stop laughing at this?)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:25 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

lavawitch wrote:

I was actually wondering if someone did it as a joke and forgot to change it before it went live.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:35 pm 
Semen Strong

Desdemona wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
And for those who prefer trousers: the Hippo-bottomus! (Does it make me a bad person that I am never going to stop laughing at this?)

Yes, yes it does. It also makes me love you that much more. I like my women wicked.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:36 pm 
WELFARIST!

I don't know much about the two dresses they're talking about because there's only a picture of the one dress ("Heather Grey") but "Manatee Grey" is absolutely a Target brand color and it's been around for a while.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:49 pm 
Semen Strong

This explanation sounded pretty credible:
Quote:
The retailer told Forbes that “manatee grey” appears on many Target products and the labeling of the same dress in two different colors was an error. Spokesman Joshua Thomas said two sets of buyers ordered the dress, and the buyers who ordered the plus-size dress used the standard color name of “manatee grey.” The buyers for the other dresses changed the name to “dark heather grey.”

http://blog.chron.com/fashiondiaries/20 ... atee-grey/

It would make sense that there were different buying teams for the plus-size department, who just never checked with the buyers for the Missy department.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffbercovi ... r-notices/

Last edited by Tofulish on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:54 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Makes sense to me. If you look at there other women's products some have really creative names for the colorways such as "vintage denim" or "antique coin", but other styles just randomly get stuck with "yellow" or "red".

Stuff like this happened all the time in the catalogs for the last apparel company I worked for.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

omg so I totally didn't see this thread until today, but good timing imo.
I am currently in a major in college that has only 6 other people, so even if we're not all best friends, we all spend huge quantities of time around each other and have our friendly relationships. I and another friend were talking to one girl about quitting smoking (I quit 3 years ago, she was talking about it so I was trying to ease her fears and encourage her) and she started talking about being worried about gaining weight and I said something like

"oh, well yeah but that's like 15lbs maximum and you get about 10 more years of being alive."

and she said, to me (obvs not thin) and the other person there (also obvs not thin)

"I think I'd rather live 10 less years than be fat"

and like, I just stared at her. SHE WAS TALKING TO TWO FAT GIRLS, COME ON!!
I just said something about how it was kind of indicative of some seriously irrational phobias that she said she would rather die than be fat.

UGH 4EVER.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:26 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

also, I am really in to body politics and positivity being something that people talk about and dissect on a consistent basis. I literally cannot hide my body, I'm alarmingly tall for a woman (6'1) and a US size 16. Society doesn't like me in any direction and for a huge part of my life I felt super alienated from my body and really angry that I couldn't "blend in" no matter how much weight I lost or gained or how much black I wore. I remember distinctly wishing that I could be invisible or just a floating cloud of consciousness on a regular basis. I've been sticking out like a sore thumb for my entire life and I am super sick of people either not wanting to talk about it because they think I don't know, or casually and innocently calling me a giant without thinking about how that reinforces my self concept and my societal categorization as "other."

I have gotten to a point where I am okay with my body, even though the way my nerves were wired and the way my bones were cobbled together cause me a great deal of physical pain: I am still okay with my body and with how much space I take up in the world. I'm also working on my fierce "fork with me, I dare you" glare for every time I leave my house (as I cannot walk down a street without drawing attention to myself.) I'm on a path to being super okay with my body, and I just want other people to talk about it with me, not behind my back! ask me how many times I hit my head on doorways, I will gladly tell you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:37 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

(I just read this whole thread, sorry about 3 posts)
I just wanted to bring up again the whole weight loss from grief thing. last october I lost like 20lbs in a month because a friend killed himself and I couldn't sleep or eat for a while and the only way I could trick my body in to sleeping was to run until I couldn't move. I'm back at my previous weight (thanks winter!) but for a while while I was still super sad and unable to function and had just lost all that weight people would say
"oh wow good for you!"
and I was like "oh hey thanks I want to die, do you have somewhere I can hide and sob for a few hours? so glad you think I look acceptably thin!"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:45 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

booberthefraggle wrote:
I just wanted to bring up again the whole weight loss from grief thing. last october I lost like 20lbs in a month because a friend killed himself and I couldn't sleep or eat for a while and the only way I could trick my body in to sleeping was to run until I couldn't move. I'm back at my previous weight (thanks winter!) but for a while while I was still super sad and unable to function and had just lost all that weight people would say
"oh wow good for you!"
and I was like "oh hey thanks I want to die, do you have somewhere I can hide and sob for a few hours? so glad you think I look acceptably thin!"

The amazing thing to me is that even telling them why you've lost weight "thanks! I'm really forking sick and can't eat anything! And my heart is broken so I exercise instead of crying!" doesn't shame them into realizing how inappropriate it is to comment on bodies. It's like they think "whatever, as long as you're acceptably thin!"

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:59 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I just got back to work after a week of being really sick from a cyst in my kidney rupturing. I barely ate last week due to being incredibly nauseous and even when I wasn't, I still had no appetite.

My boss saw me on Friday and said "It looks like you've lost weight". When I told her it was because I couldn't eat for a week, she replied "Well, you gotta start somewhere". I actually do want to lose a bit of weight; I've put a lot on due to stress lately, and my knees have been protesting. But I don't consider being sick as a dog a good start to any weight loss program. (Plus, she has no way of knowing that. As far as she's concerned, I could be perfectly happy with my weight.)

My boss is built a lot like me: short and zaftig. I couldn't help but wonder if her comments said more about her own body image than about me.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:56 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

j-dub wrote:
booberthefraggle wrote:
"oh wow good for you!"

The amazing thing to me is that even telling them why you've lost weight "thanks! I'm really forking sick and can't eat anything! And my heart is broken so I exercise instead of crying!" doesn't shame them into realizing how inappropriate it is to comment on bodies. It's like they think "whatever, as long as you're acceptably thin!"

One of the biggest disagreements I've ever had with my mother is getting her to understand that commenting on my weight is unacceptable, especially if I've lost weight because I'm throwing up for unknown reasons that could be serious. It's taken a few years (and she tried sending the messages through my father for a while), but it's finally sticking. It's really messed up to (seemingly) care more about a loved one's appearance than her physical and mental health.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:36 am 
Shopped till she dropped

Last summer I lost a bunch of weight due to extreme stress, anxiety, depression, and being on the wrong dose of thyroid medication. When I would talk about how my pants were falling off, but I couldn't afford new ones, people would get so huffy and forget that I was mentally and physically in such bad shape. No one cared that was sobbing at work most days, became a hermit, and my body was rebelling against me. They just cared that I lost 20 pounds without trying.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:23 pm 
WELFARIST!

lepelaar wrote:
I couldn't help but wonder if her comments said more about her own body image than about me.

I feel like this is pretty accurate. I've never been that fixated on my own body personally--but other people have certainly taken the liberty to freely make observations about it, so I know these ideas don't originate in me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:06 am 
Ninja Master

A work acquaintance of mine is bad for body shaming. Mainly about herself but the other day she was talking about how her eldest daughter shouldn't eat carbs, when she was looking at photos of her, because she has "a massive belly". She's 5.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:44 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

One of my co-workers is 5 or 6 months pregnant. She's a pretty tiny person and is carrying all of her baby weight in the belly area. In the break room today, she was recounting something her husband said - something like "you're about to gain a ton of weight in your butt, arms, face, etc." Which is pretty dick-ish, but she was more concerned about the potential weight gain. Another co-worker zeroed in and kept saying that if she hadn't gained that weight yet, she wouldn't.

I couldn't stay out of it. I said that it doesn't even matter - the girl is cooking a human, and there IS weight gain that comes with that. Who cares where that weight is? They kept going back to where she was carrying the weight. Somehow Kim Kardashian came up, and I said how much I hate that tabloids (which I don't read, but see at the stupid grocery store checkout) keep harping on her weight, and that nobody should EVER criticize a pregnant woman (or anyone ever, but that's WAY too lofty for this crowd) for weight gain. Their response was that she wears such awful clothes that basically it's okay that people criticize her.

I gave up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1661 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 67  Next