| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Healthy Choices and Advice
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:18 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

It seems like there might be cause to have a thread that focuses on making healthy, awesome choices (whether that's food, exercising, or whatever) as opposed to talking just about weight loss, so here it is! Talk about being healthy and awesome here!

I can start:

I'm a person who races bikes. That means I need a fair amount of calories, but lately I've been struggling with getting them from good sources. I hardly beat myself up if I decide I eat a brownie after a tough ride, but it's not very productive in terms of recovery and fueling for the next tough ride, particularly if I do it every day. I always feel great when I eat more "whole" foods (which usually means cooking everything myself), but I also find that it's harder to get in the calories that way. I'm experimenting and trying to find the best ways to get enough calories from healthy sources. So far, I'm loving adding in lots of sweet potatoes, trail mix, and homemade veggie burger patties to my diet.

Yay!

Post subject: Re: Healthy Choices and Advice
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:33 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Great idea! I have no interest in losing weight, but do have a very intense two-week aerial convention in June which will involve hours of intense exercise every day.

Can anyone suggest what kinds of meals I should be making/eating? I'll be staying somewhere with a basic kitchen facility and will need to take a substantial packed lunch every day.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:37 pm 
Impressive boner

Great idea!

I lift weights but I don't eat enough protein.

When I have tofu in the house I'll eat it every day, but I haven't had a protein shake in weeks despite having a pack of Sun Warrior in the cupboard. I've made a plan to help increase my protein intake which simply requires me going grocery shopping tomorrow.

I'm currently going through a short course of CBT for my body image concerns. At the moment I'm keeping a diary of negative thoughts I have about myself and am coaching myself to have positive responses to counteract them. I'm creating a collection of hilarious put-downs for my internal bully.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:38 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Awesome thread!

I recently put the scale away stopped focusing on calorie counting , restriction, and achieving an arbitrary number for my weight. Instead I've started focusing on setting fitness goals, and eating in a way that make me feel healthy, full, and happy. Turns out this former junk food and sweet addict now actually likes green smoothies and salads way more than doughnuts. Who knew!

My goals are: Run 5k (I'm in week two of C25K), hold Crow during yoga for 7 seconds (I held it for 2 this morning!), be able to touch my forehead to knee in a forward bend, and I'm going to hike Mount St. Helens! I feel so much more joy in seeing my progress towards these goals than I ever did if I was down a pound or two on the scales.

JoPa - I think I remember that you really like oatmeal? I think it's pretty easy to load up the healthy calories in oatmeal by adding a lot of nuts, seeds, coconut milk, or peanut butter.

Last edited by Nebraskalaska on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:39 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

8ball wrote:
At the moment I'm keeping a diary of negative thoughts I have about myself and am coaching myself to have positive responses to counteract them. I'm creating a collection of hilarious put-downs for my internal bully.

I. LOVE. THIS.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:44 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

8ball wrote:
When I have tofu in the house I'll eat it every day, but I haven't had a protein shake in weeks despite having a pack of Sun Warrior in the cupboard. I've made a plan to help increase my protein intake which simply requires me going grocery shopping tomorrow.

What are your favourite high-protein foods? I'm ideally looking for things which are easy to find in a regular supermarket/shop as the convention is in a very small town.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:47 pm 
Impressive boner

Linda McCartney sausages have a decent amount of protein - about 11g per sausage I think and you can cook them in a microwave. There's also Cauldron marinated tofu or falafel.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:50 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I've started powerlifting and I LOVE it. I feel so strong and empowered after lifting a bunch of heavy things. And I laugh when dudes seem put off by a woman in the squat rack.

JoPa, if you like smoothies you could try adding oatmeal and/or avocado. Both good ways to get a wack of calories in. I also like doing what I call "breakfast cookies"--lower sugar (so I can eat them for breakfast without crashing!) and full of good things like oats, nuts, maybe almond butter, coconut, etc. They might make a good snack for you as you have nice and high caloric needs. I will see if I can find the recipe I use.

My goals are: increase strength (eventual squat goal is 200lbs but I am waaaay far from that right now. It just sounds fantastically badass in my head!), start running again (I feel like being able to run for 30 minutes is just prudent), and get back on my bike with an eye toward taking another bike trip with my grandpa in the summer. Oh, and getting my temperature back to normal! Since my surgery in December I am constantly cold and my temperature is often in the 96-97 range.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:52 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

nice thread!!!!

i have been trying out things from websites with more protein and flax [i tend to forget my flax]. i just made these this week.
http://ohsheglows.com/2012/01/10/oh-meg ... n-monster/
they are really nice!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:25 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'm training to run a half marathon in a month and I'm trying to be pretty consistent about making sure I eat 'whole foods' 80% of the time, which has (in some ways surprisingly) really helped me to not fall back into old emotional eating patterns. Having the goal of the half marathon is helping with keeping my strength/physical goals in line which also helps with my mental health. I'm so happy about that and it's been way easier to forgive minor 'slipups' as my self-critic would like to call them.

Mostly, I'm just really happy to be eating so many vegetables and that it feels really good! I do need more protein. I've been dumping some in oatmeal in the evenings but can't stomach it on it's own mixed with water. I don't do smoothies really, though, so I'm not sure what to do.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:56 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Yeah, it's way easier not to get into bad eating habits when you think of food from a utilitarian angle. I'm lucky that I've never had any serious issues with food, but I do tend to overdo it with the sweets and baked goods, which definitely affects me more both as I get older and as I place more demands on my body through racing. If I think about the cinnamon bun the size of my head in terms of "is that going to make me feel good on my next ride" instead of just "do I want to eat that," I tend to make better decisions.

As for protein, I will down a water bottle with a scoop of Vega powder in it after rides. It's not amazing taste-wise, but it does get me 25 grams of protein in one go. I also snack on Primal strips (10g each) and eat a lot (and big servings) of tofu and seitan. I also make a point of buying bread (Dave's Killer) with a relatively high protein content (6g per slice, I think, for most varieties). Oh, and nut butter. I eat a lot of that shizz.

The thing I need better ideas for is snacks, I think. I do oatmeal with nut butter, fruit, chia, and hemp seeds for breakfast and usually have some healthy leftovers for lunch. I like trail mix and dried fruit and just regular fruit for snacks, but sometimes I crave more and end up eating toast, which isn't bad once in a while, but I eat enough snacks that if I lean on it as a snackfood, I will end up eating 7 or 8 slices a day, which isn't all that helpful. I think that making snacks ahead of time might be good - like I had some fruit that needed using and mixed it up with hemp seeds and soy yogurt and put it in the fridge, and that was a great snack later on. I need more stuff like that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:47 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I'm a skinny and very active guy who's trying to gain muscle. I do cardio twice a week, lift weights four times a week and between that I do yoga.

I try to stick to whole foods and stay away from refined sugar. I eat a lot of peanut butter and tahini, nut based sauces, an avocado every day, huge amounts of beans and lentils, tofu, seitan and TVP. I make my own milk with nuts or almonds or seeds. For carbs I eat whole wheat pasta, brown rice, whole wheat bread and oatmeal.
I don't eat that much fruit, maybe 1-2 a day, but I try to incorporate as much veggies as possible in my meals. I choose organic when i can. I also have a protein drink everyday.

According to this app I use for tracking my food intake, I get more than enough of fat and protein, but not enough carbs? Does that really matter though if I get enough calories in total?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:24 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

This is an inspiring thread! I have been eating crepe and losing weight as I exercise more (for me anyway, which is not a tonne). Exercising (particularly swimming and just doing a lot of heavy lifting at work) tend to kill my appetite a bit, so I have to get the calories in when I can. I tend to feel uncomfortable with large meals, so small snacks are best...but I need to focus on the fruit/nut/smoothie stuff rather than potato chips.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:56 am 
Ninja Master

I like this thread.

I need to make better choices too. Sometimes I'll eat oreos just because I have the calories left but they certainly don't help with how I feel or how crepe my skin is looking lately.

This last week I've been away for work and vegan food is basically limited to hummus sandwiches and crisps or chips. I'm looking forward to getting home on sunday and eating actual vegetables again.

I do get lazy when I cook. I have a couple of days where I'm pressed for time and so if I can think ahead and make dinner at the weekend, I'm ok but if not then I end up cooking something quick & crappy and need to get out of that habit.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:41 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

jordanpattern wrote:
Yeah, it's way easier not to get into bad eating habits when you think of food from a utilitarian angle. I'm lucky that I've never had any serious issues with food, but I do tend to overdo it with the sweets and baked goods, which definitely affects me more both as I get older and as I place more demands on my body through racing. If I think about the cinnamon bun the size of my head in terms of "is that going to make me feel good on my next ride" instead of just "do I want to eat that," I tend to make better decisions.

The thing I need better ideas for is snacks, I think. I do oatmeal with nut butter, fruit, chia, and hemp seeds for breakfast and usually have some healthy leftovers for lunch. I like trail mix and dried fruit and just regular fruit for snacks, but sometimes I crave more and end up eating toast, which isn't bad once in a while, but I eat enough snacks that if I lean on it as a snackfood, I will end up eating 7 or 8 slices a day, which isn't all that helpful. I think that making snacks ahead of time might be good - like I had some fruit that needed using and mixed it up with hemp seeds and soy yogurt and put it in the fridge, and that was a great snack later on. I need more stuff like that.

i'm with you, JoPa - if i ask myself "how is this going to make me feel?" i tend to make better food choices as well. just thinking about it now, i'm going to start writing down what i eat and how it makes me feel. this way i can look back and see should i need reminding.

as for snacks - i like to make big batches of cold salads and eat them for snacks. one of my favorites is to make 2 quinoa salads. i make a ton of quinoa then put it in 2 big bowls. to 1 bowl i'll add: chickpeas, cucumber, tomato, green onions, red onion, lemon juice, olive oil and parsley. to the other bowl i'll add black beans, tomatoes, red onion, cucumber, jalapeno, lime juice, cilantro and olive oil. so i have a cold mexi-quinoa salad for snacks and a cold mediterranean quinoa salad for snacks. i simply grab a small bowl of either salad for a snack - and sometimes i'll top my cold quinoa salad with something like: avocado, tahini dressing, salsa, chopped spinach, canned artichokes, etc. you can make it as basic or as fancy as you like.

i also really super love those basic oat squares from the oh-she-glows site: http://ohsheglows.com/2012/01/20/on-the ... l-squares/ i put almond butter 'n fruit spread on mine. i bet you could totally add some protein powder to the batter if you wanted to.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:12 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i make a lot of pickles for snacks [i am a bit overweight so am not looking for nutrition/protein/calories in snacks]- i find that it hits the spot really well when i am looking for something.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:47 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Great thread!

I'm definitely way happier when I'm focusing on fitness and eating healthy than I ever was when I was counting calories and even reached my goal weight. At that point, I was expecting to feel "whole" and finally happy, and then I realized that reaching some arbitrary number on a scale didn't help me at all. Due to taking SSRIs and loving food a lot, I'm at 100 lbs over what that goal weight was (120lbs was what I was and I'm 225lbs now, at 5'8") and I'm somehow happier than before. I definitely admit I need to choose green smoothies over mug brownies more often, but I think I'm doing pretty alright.

My goal is to bring Zumba back into my weekly routine. What a mood booster PLUS it gets your heart pumping!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:54 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I'm happy for this thread! I'm kind of in between weight loss and just focusing on healthy choices. More than anything, I'm trying to be more active and get enough protein and whatnot to fuel being more active.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to try some yogurt with chia and fruit for a snack this weekend. I think I ought to start adding in some chia, flax, or walnuts to things, and I have some chia seeds, so why not?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:28 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I think a huge area I need to work on is using my calories on nutrition rather than shying away from things like seeds and nuts because of the calories and then eating the remainder of my allowance on crisps. That makes no sense!

My carbs intake is also getting slightly out of control so again, perhaps a slightly higher calorie but higher protein breakfast might be more sensible.

Looking forward to following this thread.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:33 am 
Impressive boner

j-dub wrote:
feel so strong and empowered after lifting a bunch of heavy things. And I laugh when dudes seem put off by a woman in the squat rack..

Hahaha, yeah me too!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:44 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

8ball wrote:
j-dub wrote:
feel so strong and empowered after lifting a bunch of heavy things. And I laugh when dudes seem put off by a woman in the squat rack..

Hahaha, yeah me too!

You both really inspire me. I wish I could get over myself and try out some heavier lifting.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:10 am 
Huffs Nooch

Love Child wrote:
I'm a skinny and very active guy who's trying to gain muscle. I do cardio twice a week, lift weights four times a week and between that I do yoga.

I try to stick to whole foods and stay away from refined sugar. I eat a lot of peanut butter and tahini, nut based sauces, an avocado every day, huge amounts of beans and lentils, tofu, seitan and TVP. I make my own milk with nuts or almonds or seeds. For carbs I eat whole wheat pasta, brown rice, whole wheat bread and oatmeal.
I don't eat that much fruit, maybe 1-2 a day, but I try to incorporate as much veggies as possible in my meals. I choose organic when i can. I also have a protein drink everyday.

According to this app I use for tracking my food intake, I get more than enough of fat and protein, but not enough carbs? Does that really matter though if I get enough calories in total?

You don't need loads of carbs. I eat relatively few starchy carbs as a proportion of my overall calorie intake - I don't measure the exact amount of carbohydrate but basically I'll have 80g oats at breakfast, 80g bread at lunch & 40-50g rice/pasta at dinner; that's it. I do eat high protein & also relatively high fat as part of around 3000 calories a day. At 96kg bodyweight I can gain size/strength on these amounts.

Mainly newbies (myself included) make the mistake of overdoing the carbs/calories when trying to gain muscle; basically I just got fat because I was eating too much. Calories-wise I try to stick to around 110% of my basal metabolic rate so I can make gains without adding bodyfat.

Remember diet is only one part of the equation - rest & what you do in the gym are just as important. What gym routine are you following?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:42 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

JimXVX wrote:
Love Child wrote:

You don't need loads of carbs. I eat relatively few starchy carbs as a proportion of my overall calorie intake - I don't measure the exact amount of carbohydrate but basically I'll have 80g oats at breakfast, 80g bread at lunch & 40-50g rice/pasta at dinner; that's it. I do eat high protein & also relatively high fat as part of around 3000 calories a day. At 96kg bodyweight I can gain size/strength on these amounts.

Mainly newbies (myself included) make the mistake of overdoing the carbs/calories when trying to gain muscle; basically I just got fat because I was eating too much. Calories-wise I try to stick to around 110% of my basal metabolic rate so I can make gains without adding bodyfat.

Remember diet is only one part of the equation - rest & what you do in the gym are just as important. What gym routine are you following?

Yeah, I was going to say basically that^. If you start doing more endurance sports, you'll need to up your carb intake, but for mostly strength and muscle building, which is what you seem to be doing, you are probably getting sufficient carbs if you're eating a variety of veggies and some fruit and not actively avoiding carbs in other forms. If you're feeling good in your workouts, you're probably doing okay nutrition wise. I'm a skinny person myself, and while it sucks in some ways, I do find I get very immediate feedback if my diet is out of whack, since I don't have the reserves some larger people do. I imagine you're similar, so keep listening to your body, and tweak things as needed.

I forgot to mention that I bought a neat book yesterday: Eat & Run by Scott Jurek. I happen to think endurance runners are insane, but Josh at Herbivore said it was a great read on endurance athletics, and that there are some great recipes in the book. If dude can run 100 miles on whatever's in that book, I am game to try it!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:09 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I just stopped at Wegmans. I deliberately used the $10 in my budget that could have gone on junk food on some flowers for my mom. She is happy, and I didn't buy potato chips or chocolate.

I got some Brussels sprouts, strawberries, spinach, and smoothie stuff. I need to get back to doing better, especially since up the iron infusion ordeal has me almost at the high end of anemic instead of at the bottom. I also got some Boca burgers, Boca Chik patties and some convenience items that have decent protein etc so if I get lazy, tired, busy, I don't default to pantry rummaging for instant but not ideal stuff. Chopping up a Boca burger into a spinach wrap is a much better option. If you ignore the sodium, those are actually not bad, nutritionally speaking.

I'm going to make up a big batch of AFR white bean trattoria salad for lunches next week. If you don't mix in the arugula, its great for 3-4 days. I usually increase the dressing by about 50% though. If you do couscous or quinoa instead of the pasta, it makes delicious wraps. I could eat that dressing with a spoon.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:08 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Thanks for this thread! I've been hanging out in the weight loss thread, but I don't really belong there since I'm maintaining my weight and just generally trying to be healthy.

My big problem is eating crepe at work. I have a desk job (which I hate, but that's another topic entirely), and I snack to break up my day. So, I need snacks around 150-200 calories that are full of good nutrition and protein. I often end up eating Luna bars or similar packaged crepe, and it ends up being a whole lot of sugar. I'm really, really trying to get off packaged snacks as much as possible. Even if I'm making my own bars, that's at least a step in the right direction.

I'm also trying to eat a big salad for lunch every day with baked tofu, beans, and/or quinoa for protein. It takes a fair amount of prep, which is annoying, but I feel so much better than if I'd just eaten something quicker. I try to prep two salads at a time, so I only have to deal with packing work lunches every other night.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next