| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Safe for her to lose (extra) weight while battling infection
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:56 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

My seven year old dog, Guinevere, has been diagnosed with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever this past few days. It was so scary. I really though she was dying. :'-( Now that we know whats going on she is on an antibiotic regime and will be for the next month. She seems to be responding well the the antibx. She went from being totally unable to walk, to this AM she was wrestling with her twin brother.

Before the diagnosis, we were cutting back her food a little cus she is about 10 lbs over weight (normally she weighs 165, she was tipping the scales at just under 175 at the vet this weekend.) We're not giving her additional exercise (That would be impossible right now as Im practically on bed rest with a difficult pregnancy) So we have just been cutting her meals a little. Of course, now that she is on a med, that means a tablespoon of peanut butter every night and every morning to get her to take the pills. So who knows where she is at with calories.

She LOOKS like she has lost a little weight to me already. But Im getting nervous. Do you think its safe for us to have her lose weight while she is battling such a SERIOUS, life-threatening infection? Or I guess the question could go the other way too, is it safe to let her remain overweight while she is battling such a serious infection? Hummm...

What do you guys think?

Post subject: Re: Safe for her to lose (extra) weight while battling infec
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:09 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I don't think it will hurt a 165/175lb dog to be 10lbs overweight for another month while she recovers. Maybe with her energy levels coming back up as she feels better she'll shed some pounds without you having to cut her food.

A quick google search shows that peanut butter has ~188 calories for 2 tbsp. A cup of dry dog food is about 325-400 calories. So if you are worried, maybe cut out a bit of dog food (1/4-1/3 cup maybe) to accommodate the calories from the peanut butter.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:42 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Thank you. I think I kinda feel that way, it just seems like a lot to ask her body to do all at one time. She'll be fine being a little heavy for the next month I think.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:44 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

OMG, Im so stupid! I just realized I reported her weight at ONE HUNDRED and sixty/seventy five.

Shes really just 65/75. Does that change your opinion?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:45 pm 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

what does your vet say?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:49 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

So, what I'm about to say applies to humans, but probably to dogs, also. the extra 10 pounds won't hurt her in terms of being sick and you burn a lot more calories when you have an infection, so maybe don't worry about her weight until she gets better. But yeah, you should talk to your vet!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:21 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Yeah, a bit of extra weight while battling infection is not necessarily a bad thing. If she just started antibiotics recently there's still time for it to cause some havoc and start bothering her stomach.

If towards the end of the regimen she's looking/acting significantly better/normal then I'd start her weight loss regime again.

And calculater makes a good point - what does the vet have to say? Are there any other conditions that need to be considered also? (Heart problems, for example?)

I'm so glad she's doing ok! I can't imagine how scary that must have been.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:30 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Haha, I think that even at 65/75 pounds she'll be fine for a month. Our dalmatian (who should have been a 60ish lb dog) weighed 80 lbs her whole life. She never had a health problem and lived to be 13 so I'm convinced that a bit of extra weight, especially short-term, isn't the worst thing in the world (being underweight seems like it would put more strain on a body than being a tad overweight). I wouldn't worry about an extra 10lbs for a month.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:59 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I think she'll be fine either way, but when our little beagle-mix had spinal surgery last year, we did cut back his food, because he was going to be in a pen with no exercise for 5 weeks (minimum). also, they told us the number one thing we could do to prevent future back pain was keep him super trip. He wasn't overweight, but he's gone from 16 to 14 lbs, which is a lot for a little guy. Anyhow, he was also fine. But I did check with the vet about reducing the food (because obviously he needed calories to heal). We reduced by about 10% (just by eyeballing it) for each scoop.

the moral of the story is that hopefully your sweet doggie will recover and she'll be just fine either way.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:50 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Thank you for all the replies! I think the point that one burns a lot more calories when sick is spot on. I think thats what Im seeing right now. She looks thinner and thinner everyday and we have not been that good about keeping her on the reduced meal size- Kinda forget sometimes. Just in the past three days I feel like she looks so much trimmer. Her ribs are more easily felt through her little fat padding too. So Im actually a little worried about KEEPING HER from getting too thin!

I will call the vet and talk to him about the weight. The week before she was diagnosed I had her at the vet (for something that turned out to be the first sign of the RMSF- if only we had known!!) and he said we needed to get her to trim down. Thankfully, she doesnt have any health issues besides RMSF. In fact between her and her twin, he has us at the vet way more often. We were shocked to have to rush her to the vet twice in two weeks! :-O

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:39 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

VegHeadZealia, how's Guinevere doing?