| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oily chocolate chip cookies
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:27 am 
Tofu Pup

So, maybe my favorite cookies in the universe are the chocolate chip cookies from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar. They are chippy perfection. Like, I will have a plate of these freshly baked each afternoon on my kitchen counter in heaven to share with my neighbors. My wife is gluten-free which isn't that huge of a bummer (I mean, it's been five years so it's like second nature to us) but whenever I try and substitute a GF four blend for regular flour the cookies turn out super oily, which IS a huge bummer. Should I use less oil? More flour? Is there a magical ingredient that I can use to make this problem go away?

Post subject: Re: Oily chocolate chip cookies
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:33 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

maybe try a specifically gluten-free recipe rather than subbing. I used to have an awesome one that used rice and soy flour, but not sure where it is right now. If I can find it I'll post it for you...

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:56 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

http://www.food.com/recipe/gluten-free- ... ies-121714 is the base, I think, but without egg. I may have put a flax egg in, as the first comment suggests, and definitely added cinnamon.

If you'd rather keep to the other recipe have you already tried just cutting the oil down, or maybe subbing some apple sauce for some of the oil? is this the cookie recipe also available on the ppk site where you beat sugar and oil together, because I ended up adding more flour to those even not going for gluten-free.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:25 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

more flour. i had that recently with a new bag of flour and that recipe. (it was clumpy, so i think it must have been exposed to a lot of moisture, so the flour didn't have a chance to absorb the liquids in the recipe, therefore oiliness.) i also made the mistake of adding the starch to the flour instead of beating it with the liquids. oops!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:55 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

i'd add a little more flour and also let the dough sit for a while in the fridge before baking. Both of those things have helped me with similar problems in the past. Use maybe 1/4 cup more flour?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:23 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

http://thecinnamonquill.com/blog/2011/1 ... p-cookies/

These are just like those! I promise! I always end up with something thin, moist, chippy and goooooood. I reserve that no cookie is right without Almond Extract, but I'm Italian and grew up with that in everything sweet. If your wife can do almonds, do that!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:18 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I recently tried the PPK blog recipe (not sure if that's exactly the same as the VCIYCJ recipe) using the Bob's Red Mill GF all-purpose flour, and they turned out great!

I actually think that Isa's cookie recipes often have too much oil (GF or not) so I probably used a light hand on the oil, but they were a hit with GF omnis, GF vegans, and "normal" omnis alike.