| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Kitchen
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:34 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Thanks, brontrent! I'll check it out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:12 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

OMG as I type this I'm eating the tomato basil bisque. It is fantastic. It is so creamy and flavourful, the best tomato soup I have ever eaten. It says it make 6 servings but being as good as it is I just polished of 1/3 of the pot by myself. I didn't make the pumpernickel croutons as I cannot find any vegan pumpernickel bread which is a bummer because I used to love pumpernickel. I did follow the recipe for the soup exactly even weighing out the tomatoes, oh and I only used onion instead of two because I had a big asparagus onion (I used a sweet one). I have been wanting to make this recipe since I got the book in the fall but didn't want to use low quality winter tomatoes and give me a bad impression of the soup. I just bought a case of perfectly ripe on the vine tomatoes at Coscto and thought time to make Tomato Bisque Soup, I think I used 7-8 medium sized tomatoes. Definitely make this soup.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:47 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

brontrent wrote:
OMG as I type this I'm eating the tomato basil bisque. It is fantastic. It is so creamy and flavourful, the best tomato soup I have ever eaten. It says it make 6 servings but being as good as it is I just polished of 1/3 of the pot by myself. I didn't make the pumpernickel croutons as I cannot find any vegan pumpernickel bread which is a bummer because I used to love pumpernickel. I did follow the recipe for the soup exactly even weighing out the tomatoes, oh and I only used onion instead of two because I had a big asparagus onion (I used a sweet one). I have been wanting to make this recipe since I got the book in the fall but didn't want to use low quality winter tomatoes and give me a bad impression of the soup. I just bought a case of perfectly ripe on the vine tomatoes at Coscto and thought time to make Tomato Bisque Soup, I think I used 7-8 medium sized tomatoes. Definitely make this soup.

I have been eyeballing this recipe so hard, thanks for sharing- it's going on the menu this week!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:49 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That is a lovely soup! I've made it a ton make a variation with shallots, roasted jalapenos and smoked ancho peppers into the mix. Swoon (and have definitely used canned whole tomatoes, too).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:24 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I made the Sweet and Sour Meataballs without the sweet and sour sauce. I made the meatballs and added them to a tomato marinara sauce. They were awesome. I made them using the brown rice option. So delicious!

I also made the Drunken Noodle Soup, I thought I would really love this but I found it a little bit bland. It is so easy to doctor it up though, so no big deal.

I noticed many say how unhealthy this cookbook is, I really don't find it too bad, yes there is a lot of oil but you can easily cut back or omit it. Most of the ingredients she uses are whole foods. I am really liking this so far. I will be making the Alfredo next because I am hoping my picky toddler will eat it up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:42 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Ok, made the tomato basil bisque...This will be my new go-to tomato soup, the flavors of the roasted tomatoes/onions/garlic...WOW! So slurp worthy!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:44 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

bree wrote:
Ok, made the tomato basil bisque...This will be my new go-to tomato soup, the flavors of the roasted tomatoes/onions/garlic...WOW! So slurp worthy!

When I ate the leftovers the yesterday (the next day) I think it tasted even better. I scraped every last bit out of the bowl. I told my husband next time I want to double the recipe and I need to go to Coscto soon to get another case of tomatoes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:55 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yesterday I made the Sea Salt Toffee Bars. They were very easy to put together. Its done in stages which was nice as I had time to do other things. The bars are good but *VERY* sweet. I had one small bar and afterwards I felt a little off from the sweetness. I liked the bars, but just not sure I would make them again. I much prefer her Yoga cookies.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:27 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made the spinach artichoke dip again, but this time I used a normal grocery store silken tofu I found in the refrigerated section. The recipe calls for soft tofu, which I can never find. So when I've made it before I used the shelf-stable silken tofu.

It was not good. It was super watery. I still ate it, but it wasn't what I had been craving! :( If I had used this type of tofu first I would've never given the recipe a second chance.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:56 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I forgot about this cookbook for a while and am giving it another go. I made the Mongolian seitan and pineapple fried rice (sans pineapple bowl) last night. So good and so fast and easy!

masuphl wrote:
I made the spinach artichoke dip again, but this time I used a normal grocery store silken tofu I found in the refrigerated section. The recipe calls for soft tofu, which I can never find. So when I've made it before I used the shelf-stable silken tofu.

It was not good. It was super watery. I still ate it, but it wasn't what I had been craving! :( If I had used this type of tofu first I would've never given the recipe a second chance.

The first time you made it, did it turn out well? I'm considering doing it this weekend for a party.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:08 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Huh. Trying to remember what tofu I used. It was super amazing delicious.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:13 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

You HAVE to use the shelf stable stuff or it will be a hot, soggy mess. I've made it several times now and it's fab :)
BTW, I buy all my aspetic tofu on Amazon, you can get the organic stuff for the same price as non-organic at the grocery store.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:49 pm 

I made the Mocha Almond Cake for my roommates birthday. The only substitution I made was using Isa's chocolate ganache instead of the chocolate drizzle from the recipe (my roommate is allergic to coconut). It was incredibly delicious! Everyone (omnis all around) raved about the cake.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:27 pm 
Nailed to the V

mandycoot wrote:
I forgot about this cookbook for a while and am giving it another go. I made the Mongolian seitan and pineapple fried rice (sans pineapple bowl) last night. So good and so fast and easy!

masuphl wrote:

The first time you made it, did it turn out well? I'm considering doing it this weekend for a party.

Yes - it's the most divine dip ever. I have made it several times and can't even believe how much I love it. I think I've used regular and lite.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:28 pm 
Nailed to the V

bree wrote:
You HAVE to use the shelf stable stuff or it will be a hot, soggy mess. I've made it several times now and it's fab :)
BTW, I buy all my aspetic tofu on Amazon, you can get the organic stuff for the same price as non-organic at the grocery store.

I'm glad it wasn't just me. :) Thanks for the tip - I will get a bunch on amazon. It's so dumb for me to buy one at a time and then be sad when I don't have any!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:02 pm 
Nailed to the V

I have decided to make the spinach artichoke dip for a baby shower coming up. I think my only option will be to bake it the day before, then reheat it for the party. I have always thought it tasted just as good reheated the next day, so I am not worried about that. But I just thought that maybe I can dump it into a small crockpot and keep it warm during the party.

Does that sound like a wise idea? The alternative would be to prepare it the day before, keep it refrigerated and then bake it where the party is.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That's probably fine as long as your Crockpot doesn't run super hot. I've had party appetizers dry out before the party's over if I don't think to turn it off after most of the eating is done.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:34 am 
Nailed to the V

Ok thanks. I have actually never used my Crockpot before, but my mom will be there and she's an expert with them. I think it'll be a huge hit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:38 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

A small crock on the "warm" setting (if available) should be perfect, as long as you give it the occasional stir.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:57 pm 
Nailed to the V

Now I am thinking of doubling the recipe and using the larger crock on "warm". I am almost tempted to make 2 separate batches so that I don't accidentally screw something up doubling it. I will definitely keep an eye on it during the party.

Thanks for the help - I am nervous about the party.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:16 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I haven't touched this cookbook since the horrible pancakes incident.

And seriously... do we need a recipe for avocado on toast?

ETA: nevermind me. I am clearly cranky today.

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:26 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I made the potato leek patties with lemon dill sauce last night and they came together quickly and tasted really great together! I did use yukon gold potatoes, because it's what I had on hand (and I prefer them to russets).

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:45 pm 

I made the Spinach Artichoke dip a couple of days ago and I found it to be such an easy, unfussy recipe! Of course, it was just for my roommate and I. Baked it in a glass pie dish, because it seemed like the most logical of all my dishware! I sliced some Daiya havarti on top for extra creaminess.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:12 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I made the falafel sliders, but as burgers. The falafel mix was good and came together quickly, AND stayed in the patties without crumbling. They fried up and got all nice and crispy, and I love them. I did not like the sauces individually, but together with the burger, they just...worked. Can't wait to have one as a snack this afternoon!

ETA: I really like the addition of sundried tomatoes to falafel!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:58 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the blackeyed pea skillet for the second time, and reduced the 1/3 cup of sugar to 2 tbsp, and it was SO much better. Still a little sweet, but not crazy sweet like before. I totally don't get "southern" from this though. It seems like authors who aren't really familiar with southern cooking just throw blackeyed peas into something and think that makes it southern.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 26  Next