| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Opt Out Day
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:29 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

xGreenling wrote:
A pipe bomb, FFS! (Funny story, that... There's a reason they tell you to check if anyone has tampered with your luggage.)

WHAT THE WHAT?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:36 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I wouldn't say it was a failure. I would just say it was the first day of battle, if you will.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/11/tsa-cave-scanners-thanksgiving-rush/

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:06 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:31 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I bet a lot of TSA agents are dreading going to work lately.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:33 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Rach*n wrote:
xGreenling wrote:
A pipe bomb, FFS! (Funny story, that... There's a reason they tell you to check if anyone has tampered with your luggage.)

WHAT THE WHAT?

Yes....WHAT?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:46 pm 
Chard Martyr

I thought this was an interesting read, summarizing what we've been discussing here recently. I'm disappointed that more people did not opt out.
It's scheduled to run in this Sunday's Washington Post.
Why the TSA pat-downs and body scans are unconstitutional
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/24/AR2010112404510.html

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:56 am 
Saggy Butt

paprikapapaya wrote:
Rach*n wrote:
xGreenling wrote:

WHAT THE WHAT?

Yes....WHAT?

So... the story behind that one?

I have interesting friends. I was visiting one of these, who herself has some even more interesting friends, and as we were sitting and chilling in her dorm when I was visiting her in London on my half-term break, she started rifling through her desk for cigarettes or something, and then paused abruptly, and then proceeded to fish out a pipe bomb her friend had made - apparently they'd set off all the others in the park earlier. Or something. She asked me if I wanted it - so I said "Uh, sure" because my brain still hadn't caught up with the fact that she was brandishing a bomb. So she chucked it at my head, and I ended up taking it back to school with me. This was the kind of school which had room searches to check for booze, and when one of these loomed, I buried the thing in a jar of dirt to hide it, because in no search had anyone ever opened the jar of dirt. (Obviously nobody was taking their cues from Norrington.)

Then I completely forgot about it.

Six months later, when my father came to visit, he offered to take back a bag of assorted personal affects I would not need in the time between then and graduation, so I gave him my little treasure chest, packed with a plastic skull, some random knickknacks, and... a jar of dirt.

It was only about a month later that I started looking to see what the fizzle I had done with my pipe bomb, and realised - oh. shiitake. And then nervously phoned my father.

"So, uh, got home all right? No - um, uh - no trouble with customs?"
"No... why?"
"NOTHING NEVERMIND."

It's currently sitting on my shelf over my desk in a little dish as a memento, and I kind of hope it doesn't contain anything which will spontaneously decide to kill me in the night.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:23 pm 
Hip Goiter

Hilarious and lucky-as-shit turn of events xGreenling!

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:30 am 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

These are awesome
http://www.likecool.com/4TH_AMENDMENT_U ... t+magazine)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:45 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

FootFace wrote:
And if that happens, what then? How will we keep American aircraft safe from the buttbombers?

Mandatory pre-flight enemas. I'm OK with it if it makes us safer.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:29 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

laminatedcat wrote:
FootFace wrote:
And if that happens, what then? How will we keep American aircraft safe from the buttbombers?

Mandatory pre-flight enemas. I'm OK with it if it makes us safer.

If cavity searches are go at some future point, I'mma be really pissed if my boyfriend goes through security because "it makes us safer" but still won't let me play with his butt. One would think girlfriend fingers > government fingers.

Formerly rad.badger

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:51 pm 
Grandfathered In

Mother harassed and forced to miss flight. The vid is long but makes up for it in infuriatingness.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:47 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

There is almost nothing I hate more than small ignorant people with too much authority! That woman had way more patience than I ever would have. I would have kirked out on them and gotten arrested. I'm hoping she has some sort of grounds for a lawsuit.

Oh and this is real awesome too if it hasn't been posted already http://www.boingboing.net/2010/11/24/me ... man-s.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:34 pm 
Waited in a line late at night for some stuff

You guys have convinced me. No trip to Germany next year if the TSA is still this out of control. The vids have shown me that even they can't believe they're being crassholes not for the sake of security; they're being crassholes because they can get away with it or because they're afraid of being fired for not going along with what their supervisors say.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:37 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

FootFace wrote:
Mother harassed and forced to miss flight. The vid is long but makes up for it in infuriatingness.

That is beyond unbelievable.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:16 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

FootFace wrote:

I was pretty convinced I'd gotten to the maximum rage peak about halfway through, but I watched until the end. The last 20 seconds make me feel like hitting a brick wall with a baseball bat until the bat is in tiny little splinters all over the floor. Goddamn!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:48 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

how did this thread get so damn long?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:57 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

New stories every day, that's how it got so damn long. It's kind of nerve-wracking, actually.

So, last week, I flew out of Chicago, and nary a person was asked to go through the x-ray scanners (our stuff did, but our bodies didn't). I was all hyped up to opt out and I just had to walk through a metal detector. It took me fewer than fifteen minutes to get from the front door of the airport to my gate. Chicago has thex-ray scanners, so I don't know why they weren't using them. The optimist in me wants to think it's because everyone on the internets was making such a stink, and the TSA didn't want to deal with the hassle the day before Thanksgiving? That's prgoress, right? Something?

I didn't go through an x-ray scanner on the way back, because Sacramento doesn't have them, yet.

No drama for me. Yet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:00 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I was groped and tomorrow expect to be again. I can't even believe I have to mentally prepare to get groped to fly.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:17 pm 
Hip Goiter

This http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/12/airp ... se-expert/ is just despicable. Telling children the pat-downs are "a game". I can't handle it.

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:53 pm 
Chard Martyr

RandiJM wrote:
This http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/12/airp ... se-expert/ is just despicable. Telling children the pat-downs are "a game". I can't handle it.

Thank you for this article. While awful, it just furthers my belief of how incredibly inappropriate this is for children especially.
Quote:
Children "don't have the sophistication" to distinguish between a pat-down carried out by an airport security officer and an assault by a sexual predator, he said.

The TSA policy could "desensitize children to inappropriate touch and ultimately make it easier for sexual offenders to prey on our children," Wooden added

Very true.
I say children especially, but I do believe it's inappropriate for everyone. It's completely out of control. I haven't watched the video that was posted above because I'm not in a mood where I want to rage right now. I know that at certain airports, pilots just have a sticker affixed to their car and they drive into a special parking lot for pilots and aren't even screened until after they're through a certain part of the airport. I mean, there are numerous ways around security, there are stories of bombs being mailed in the bellies of planes... and this. This.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:23 am 
Nailed to the V

I haven't weighed in on the issue yet, but that video makes me so forking angry.

What was the point of keeping her penned up? Why did they refuse to follow their own rules about the "special liquids"? HOW THE HELL IS THIS FIGHTING TERRORISM. I applaud that woman, I can't say I wouldn't have been arrested.

I know this has all been said, but damn. I need a cookie. Or 5.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:30 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Steffers! wrote:
I haven't weighed in on the issue yet, but that video makes me so forking angry.

What was the point of keeping her penned up? Why did they refuse to follow their own rules about the "special liquids"? HOW THE HELL IS THIS FIGHTING TERRORISM. I applaud that woman, I can't say I wouldn't have been arrested.

I know this has all been said, but damn. I need a cookie. Or 5.

because she compained about them previously. that was them getting back at her. (and denying a child of a few hours of food. way to go, TSA) plain and simple, they were being petty bisques.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:04 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

LazySmurf wrote:
tinglepants! wrote:
Well, I fly bright and early tomorrow morning. Good people of hte ppk, whatever should I wear?

A leotard?

I opted for a kilt the last time I flew. My blog entry about it even got picked up by Ars Technica... :)

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news ... speaks.ars

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:09 pm 
WRETCHED

I saw a guy wearing a kilt on my last flight. He totally looked like he was straight out of Braveheart. I didn't hear him speak though so don't know if he had an accent.

Reply to topic  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next