| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: The "My Pet is Old and I'm Sad" Thread
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:11 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

I've been putting off posting in this thread because I've basically been in denial since Daine was like 8(he turned 15 last month) that he would ever get old, and you know, eventually not be here... He's had a grey beard for a good many years and because of being hit by a car, some health problems in the past, dog fights, etc, he doesn't have the greatest body around but he has managed pretty well. Even last summer at the dog pond, a few people didn't believe me that he was 14. He out swam (in distance and time spent in water) almost all of the dogs there.

He still has a lot of fight (for life, not aggression) left in him and surprises me at how strong he can still be sometimes but lately I've been noticing small things that make me accept that he is an old man. He can't walk nearly as long or as well as he used to, he will pretend or try and fight through it but I can see it in the way he starts carrying himself that he's physically exhausted. After most of our walks, even if its just around the block I have to walk behind him up the stairs in case his paw misses a step and he starts slipping or falling. My back stairs are out of the question because of how narrow and windy they are. He still has excellent bladder and bowel control, no issues there, but because of his achy bones, he can't stand with his leg up, or squat for pooping for more than a few seconds before starting to wobble or coming close to falling over, a lot of times it results in him pee/poop walking.

Even though I specifically do not have a bed frame so it is easier for him to get up into the bed, he hasn't actually attempted getting up into it more than a few times this month. One night recently, he fell off the bed. He has started sleeping either on the floor next to the bed or on the couch in the living room.

He has always really loved rubbing his face slowly on things - kind of the way cats do(couch, side of mattress, peoples legs), specifically his eyes, there is nothing wrong with them, I think it may be because they are slightly droopy due to being part bloodhound. Or it just feels really good?

Anyways, this morning I walked into the living room to wake him for breakfast and thought he was having a forking seizure. He was sitting on the couch, rubbing his face on it so vigorously that the way his body was moving was frightening to me. Thanks to his old age he is also losing some hearing, which I am very aware of, but when I was calling his name in a panic and he didn't respond, all logic went out the window. I rushed over to him and as I was about to put my hand on his back, he sensed me coming, stopped, looked at me, wagged his tail and laid back down. Meanwhile, I burst into tears both from being scared he was dying and happy he was not.

We got him when he was a pup, he was our family dog from when I was 14 up until last year, when I adopted him from my parents to come live with Gizmo and I. We have always had a really strong bond and just understood each other. Having 3 dogs in itself is a huge responsibility, but that becomes even greater when one of them is a senior dog. Adopting him is one of the best decisions I have ever made, but I am finding it extremely difficult to accept and prepare myself for the fact that he really will not live forever. Or probably more than another year or so, I have a really bad feeling about how this summer is going to affect him. I've had him for literally half of my life - watching him get old is the hardest thing. Somehow, for me, harder than watching a human family member get old.

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:50 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

VFR, that is so hard. But it sounds like he is still doing AMAZINGLY. Many dogs don't even get close. So when you have sad thoughts, remind yourself that he really has ha a truly excellent life and he has lived the hell out of every second with you and your family.

Can you get him a lovely, supportive bed for beside yours if you haven't already? Sounds like he would really appreciate that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:51 pm 

Yeah - thats what I try and do.

He does have a bed but because my room is so small there is nowhere to put it in there, its in the living room. I don't like not having him right there while I sleep.

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:47 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Hugs VFR <3

So our little Pomeranian Sara is starting to majorly go down hill :( She's 16 and a half, and around two or three years ago she started showing signs she was getting up there, but in the last year it's been so much more evident. In November she was diagnosed with kidney failure. We tried fluid therapy, but it was just too stressful for her, and once we tried anti-acids before every meal her appetite came back, and she has been doing really well every since. But then last week she started refusing her wet food. We rotate because she is a finicky eater and gets bored fast, but she wouldn't eat any of the ones she usually likes (there were 5 open containers when I got home Friday, so my mom was trying everything). She's willing to eat cheesy scrambled eggs (she loves cheese, it's ridiculous haha), and my mom cooked up some chicken for her and she's eating that on occasion, and she's been eating a bit of pumpkin and yogurt. Right now we're still hoping she'll start eating some sort of wet food again, but it looks like it might be her time :( She's sleeping a lot, but when she is up she is perky and happy, just more cuddly than normal.

We're trying to decide if we should take her to our general vet for a check up or not. She hates the vet, and the car has started to stress her out, so we don't know if it's worth it for her sake. My mom is calling a local vet that does house visits and home euthanasia's tomorrow, so hopefully they can come out and see her soon.

I really wish I could be home with her, but I'm up at school. If she takes a turn for the worse I'm going home because I want to be there when she passes, but I know my mom is taking good care of her.

It's just so weird to think about her not being with us anymore. We got her when I was 4 and I'm 20 now, so I don't really even remember much before we had her. Ugh, I am sad :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:30 pm 

Simply_Love wrote:

It's just so weird to think about her not being with us anymore. We got her when I was 4 and I'm 20 now, so I don't really even remember much before we had her. Ugh, I am sad :(

<3 <3 hugs!

I know exactly how that feels. We had Daine's father, Thorin for 19 years. We got him when I was 4 and finally had to put him down when I was 23. We grew up with him, he went on every vacation with us(always hiking), took car rides everywhere with us. I remember once when I was like 17 a few friends and I got into our canoe and were paddling out to the island on the pond we lived on and he busted out of the backyard to follow us. We were about 1/4 of the way to the island when he swam up to the canoe. I grabbed his collar and let him swim along side of us until he got too tired and we pulled him in. Even then he kept trying to jump back into the water. Heh, he was a stubborn old mustard.

I'm going to be 29 and we got Daine when I was 14. After I moved out of my parents house, and before he came to live with me, anytime something was wrong with him I rushed home to my parents and would sleep on the floor next to him until he was feeling better. A few months ago Dainey wasnt feeling so good and didnt want to leave his dog bed so I set my yoga mat up next to it and slept there for 3 nights just so I could be with him, just in case.

I want him to go peacefully, in his sleep, but at the same time I am so so terrified that it will happen while I am not home. I want to be there holding him and letting him know that it's okay to go. Ugh, fork, now I'm crying and he is looking at me wagging his tail!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:47 pm 

Simply_Love wrote:
Hugs VFR <3

So our little Pomeranian Sara is starting to majorly go down hill :( She's 16 and a half, and around two or three years ago she started showing signs she was getting up there, but in the last year it's been so much more evident. In November she was diagnosed with kidney failure. We tried fluid therapy, but it was just too stressful for her, and once we tried anti-acids before every meal her appetite came back, and she has been doing really well every since. But then last week she started refusing her wet food. We rotate because she is a finicky eater and gets bored fast, but she wouldn't eat any of the ones she usually likes (there were 5 open containers when I got home Friday, so my mom was trying everything). She's willing to eat cheesy scrambled eggs (she loves cheese, it's ridiculous haha), and my mom cooked up some chicken for her and she's eating that on occasion, and she's been eating a bit of pumpkin and yogurt. Right now we're still hoping she'll start eating some sort of wet food again, but it looks like it might be her time :( She's sleeping a lot, but when she is up she is perky and happy, just more cuddly than normal.

We're trying to decide if we should take her to our general vet for a check up or not. She hates the vet, and the car has started to stress her out, so we don't know if it's worth it for her sake. My mom is calling a local vet that does house visits and home euthanasia's tomorrow, so hopefully they can come out and see her soon.

I really wish I could be home with her, but I'm up at school. If she takes a turn for the worse I'm going home because I want to be there when she passes, but I know my mom is taking good care of her.

Ugh, I'm sorry. My girl had acute kidney failure and we though we were going to have to let her go, so I know how hard it is to watch them be sick. Finding a mobile vet in situations like these is a good way to go. Hugs to you and your old girl :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:50 pm 

VeganFoodRocks wrote:
Ugh, fork, now I'm crying and he is looking at me wagging his tail!

Awwwwww! <3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:12 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thanks <3

VeganFoodRocks wrote:
I want him to go peacefully, in his sleep, but at the same time I am so so terrified that it will happen while I am not home. I want to be there holding him and letting him know that it's okay to go. Ugh, fork, now I'm crying and he is looking at me wagging his tail!

This is how I feel, too. I was almost hoping when I talked to my mom today that she had passed away last night, though I know if she had I would have felt guilty I wasn't there.

That story about Thorin is so cute <3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:28 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

VeganFoodRocks wrote:

Aw, your pup sounds sweet. I feel the same way about my little old man cat. I check on his breathing all the time when he's sleeping.

He's a grouchy cat, so no tail-wagging even if he was a dog, but he's my grouchy cat!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:10 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

We had to put Sara to sleep yesterday :(

I'm not really sure how I'm feeling at the moment about it. I spent the night at home yesterday, and I kept expecting her to come prancing in the room or to be laying in her favorite spot, and whenever I'd realize that'd never happen again I'd start crying. But, on the other hand, I know it was her time. Her whole life she had been really spunky and perky, even when she wasn't doing so good for a while in November she still had it. Heck, even Sunday when I had to help her balance so she could eat she still had a bit to her. But that was pretty much gone when I got home Tuesday night, and when she threw up all her dinner and had diarrhea, we knew it was time.

We spent the morning cuddling with her and saying goodbye, and then the at home vet came over. It was very peaceful, though when the vet gave her the sedative she wasn't too pleased. It made me almost laugh, because that was just so her. But I was cuddling her and I felt her relax as it took effect, and I'm glad I got to be there with her at the end.

It's really, really weird. I have a picture of her and me from when she first came home. She's been here pretty much my whole life and now she's just gone.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:24 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'm so sorry that Sara is gone Simply_Love. Hugs to you <3 <3 <3

My Kizzy (Kismet, my cat, my dearest little old man) had a couple of bad days last week where he threw up a lot and just seemed a bit more standoffish and wanting to be alone more than usual and I worry, as I always do, that he won't bounce back but thankfully he did and he's back to healthier and happier days and I am so relieved. So long as the good days keep outweighing the bad and he seems mostly happy, I figure I get to keep him in my life.

I also know that if the day comes when Kizzy doesn't sniff Thurston's (my other cat's) asparagus and doesn't seem interested in it when Thurston is walking by him for once in his life, then things are really bad because Kizzy has never failed to be interested in sticking his nose up Thurstle's asparagus at every opportunity. That's one way I know FOR SURE that life's still keeping him interested.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:14 pm 

Simply_Love wrote:
We had to put Sara to sleep yesterday :(

I'm not really sure how I'm feeling at the moment about it. I spent the night at home yesterday, and I kept expecting her to come prancing in the room or to be laying in her favorite spot, and whenever I'd realize that'd never happen again I'd start crying. But, on the other hand, I know it was her time. Her whole life she had been really spunky and perky, even when she wasn't doing so good for a while in November she still had it. Heck, even Sunday when I had to help her balance so she could eat she still had a bit to her. But that was pretty much gone when I got home Tuesday night, and when she threw up all her dinner and had diarrhea, we knew it was time.

We spent the morning cuddling with her and saying goodbye, and then the at home vet came over. It was very peaceful, though when the vet gave her the sedative she wasn't too pleased. It made me almost laugh, because that was just so her. But I was cuddling her and I felt her relax as it took effect, and I'm glad I got to be there with her at the end.

It's really, really weird. I have a picture of her and me from when she first came home. She's been here pretty much my whole life and now she's just gone.

<3 <3 <3 hugs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:20 pm 

I'm so sorry, Simply. I'm happy you got to be with her, though.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:04 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

we had to say goodbye to my cat Hoya today. He was 13 and had a fist-sized tumor in his stomach but purred til the very last. He was amazing, probably the closest I'll ever get to having a bulldog. He snored louder than most humans, loved our 4yr old SO much and some thugs told me a couple times "that cat is gangsta!"
I'm obviously very sad but also so worried about how his brother is going to take it, as well as the other 2 cats we've had living with us the last 7 years. And heartbroken to really have to face the fact that all 3 of those guys will be leaving us someday, as they are all at least his age and maybe older.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:32 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'm so sorry about Hoya, Audrey. Gangsta cat! As heartbroken as I will be (always am) at losing any pet, some of my heartbreak has to do with how my other little furries are taking the loss of their friend because my kitties really mean something to each other, and their world is a lot smaller than mine, so when our hearts are hurting, you can't help but think of the impact on them. <3 <3 <3 Hugs to you. RIP Gangsta Kitty Hoya.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:30 pm 
Impressive boner

Peanut has just turned six and has taken to scaring me. She sleeps so deeply that she doesn't wake until I poke her, which I've taken to doing sometimes just to see if she's still alive. Just now she was on her side, both back legs out, eyes open and totally still. I swore at her when she got up and trotted off.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:07 pm 
Chip Strong

I took in Betty about 8 months or so ago. She is a 15 your old sheltie and was dumped at the shelter. she is the sweetest girl. we found out recently that she has a large tumor in her belly. she went back to the vet this weekend because she was digging at her legs, pulling out all her hair. The vet said that her cancer has spread to her heart and the skin issues are related to liver failure. My poor sweet darling is fading. To make all of this even more heartbreaking, I am going on vacation next week for two weeks. Betty will be boarded at the vet so at a least she will have good medical care and will be appropriately monitored. But I am terrified that she will die while I am away. I feel like I am abandoning her as she nears the end. I don't want her to feel dumped again and I desperately want her to feel loved at the end. I really don't think I can cancel my trip. I am at such a loss and my heart is breaking for my sweetie girl.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:32 am 

Hoodwinked wrote:
I took in Betty about 8 months or so ago. She is a 15 your old sheltie and was dumped at the shelter. she is the sweetest girl. we found out recently that she has a large tumor in her belly. she went back to the vet this weekend because she was digging at her legs, pulling out all her hair. The vet said that her cancer has spread to her heart and the skin issues are related to liver failure. My poor sweet darling is fading. To make all of this even more heartbreaking, I am going on vacation next week for two weeks. Betty will be boarded at the vet so at a least she will have good medical care and will be appropriately monitored. But I am terrified that she will die while I am away. I feel like I am abandoning her as she nears the end. I don't want her to feel dumped again and I desperately want her to feel loved at the end. I really don't think I can cancel my trip. I am at such a loss and my heart is breaking for my sweetie girl.

Oh that is so hard. I don't blame you for being torn. If she knows the vets well I'm sure she will be fine there and the staff will give her lots of extra love.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:30 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

So if you aren't unfortunate enough to follow me on the tweeter or bookface or that blog thing, we had to put Chester to sleep. I explained it here:

http://donteatoffthesidewalk.com/

This is the first time i've ever had a pet live to die of old age, so even though he was my main homedog it was the least traumatic pet death ever. The hardest part is that it's really hard for me to change my habits/schedule and now I don't have anyone who needs pills or has to pee like a racehorse every few hours so I keep sleeping in and staying up too late and being like, "Oh right, other dogs are here." Because Harley and Fawkes are much more independent and seriously don't ask for ANYTHING. Fawkes sleeps on the bed but they don't really hang out next to me during the day (I put a dog bed right next to my desk when we moved for Chester).

So even though Chester got increasingly difficult to deal with (more grump, jealousy of Harley increased daily, etc.)...I hate change. Change sucks.

In other news, Fatty just turned 18 and that old bisque shows no signs of stopping.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:44 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I'm so sorry, MBM. Chester seemed like an awesome guy.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:58 am 

He was. Even though he had clearly given up on life, there is that nagging voice in my head that's being like, "You know, you acted too harshly. Maybe he was just tired that week. You could still have a dog if you had waited." My brain is a total crasshole to me.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:30 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i'm so sorry, mbm. but we know you adored chester, and i'm sure he knew it, too. i think we all hear that jerk voice for a while--even when the choice is completely clear, it's still hard.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:13 am 
WELFARIST!

I'm sorry mbm. Thanks for the link to your blog because even though it's sad news, it was lovely to read about Chester and I adored the pictures.

It's also timely for me as my 19-year-old cat is clearly on the decline. He's not checked out yet, but he's packing his bags and it's breaking my heart. I've had elderly cats before and know how this goes.

mrsbadmouth wrote:
He was. Even though he had clearly given up on life, there is that nagging voice in my head that's being like, "You know, you acted too harshly. Maybe he was just tired that week. You could still have a dog if you had waited." My brain is a total crasshole to me.

I've had this happen to me when I put my Wee'un to sleep in 2005. Those same thoughts. Just let them pass and don't attach yourself to them as best you can. You loved Chester and gave him a good life. It sounded like his quality of life wasn't cutting it any more and he didn't have the old joy in life and wasn't his best self anymore. It's always so hard, but you did the right thing. <3<3<3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:03 pm 

Chester's favorite thing was food. When he stopped eating, at first he just didn't want his dry food so I was giving him my precious tofurkey slices and I gave him some of Brian's cheese and even a little bit of ice cream. When he wanted nothing, not even peanut butter, I was like, "Well shiitake."

I haven't had any nightmares, which is good. I've had lots of nightmares about Bonny and my high school cat that disappeared/probably eaten by a coyote. I am still sad but i'm glad that I know where he is* and how he went and that it didn't hurt.

*he's in a fancy carved box on my desk, Brian says I am not allowed to take the box on walks or to family events. What a forking jerk.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:13 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

God, Brian's mean.

acr wrote:
i'm so sorry, mbm. but we know you adored chester, and i'm sure he knew it, too. i think we all hear that jerk voice for a while--even when the choice is completely clear, it's still hard.

Seriously. I think everybody feels this way because it's such a forking hard decision to make. When I had to have my cat Oscar put down, I wondered if I had waited too long and made him suffer needlessly. But if I had let him go earlier, I would have wondered if I shouldn't have waited a week to see if he got better. That crasshole voice in your brain will kick in no matter what. Just trust that you made the best decision for him, because you did.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next