| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Toddler-friendly suggestions for visitors from Portland?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:38 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Hi! We'll be visiting the first weekend in June and I'm totally overwhelmed drooling over all the noms you guys have. I booked a backyard apartment in the U district on airbnb, and definitely want to check out Pizza Pi and the Thai place and maybe the children's museum, and maybe take the ferry to Bainbridge... so many options! Not sure if we'll be taking the train up or driving yet, but we plan on busing and walking around town. Thanks for any ideas!

Post subject: Re: Toddler-friendly suggestions for visitors from Portland?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:24 pm 
Dead by dawn

I don't have any toddler-specific ideas (lacking, as I do, a toddler.) If Pinko doesn't chime in, you might PM her and see if she's got any input, either for the Seattle side or the Bainbridge side of things.

The only thing I can think of, and I guess it would depend on your child, is the Ballard Locks. On a nice day, watching the boats go through the locks might be kid-appealing?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:39 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Hi! I live on Bainbridge and have a 2-year old. If you do end up visiting the island and want some company, let me know! I'd love to meet up. Winslow, the downtown area, is kind of fun to walk around - lots of shops and restaurants. We have a little Supreme Master-type restaurant (Emmy's Vege House) that's all vegan and run by the sweetest family. There's a bakery that has some vegan options and a children's museum (although it's kind of a rainy day thing, in my opinion) and a little playground right downtown. Our farmer's market is downtown on Saturdays and really fun. There's other neat stuff elsewhere on the island (parks, botanical garden, kid-friendly brewery, etc.), but it might be harder to get to without a car.

All the stuff you mentioned for Seattle sounds great! Wayward is also in the U-district and very laid back as far as taking a toddler there goes. The locks are cool, but I think it depends on how old your kid is. When Inez was younger she was kind of oblivious to what was going on but I think if we took her now she'd flip.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:34 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Thank you so much for the responses! Pinko, I'll definitely let you know if we visit the island so we can meet up :) I'll check out the Locks online, and my friend told me that the science museum might be fun... she remembered the dinosaur bones from her childhood. We don't have anything like that in Portland!