| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 966 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sunday thread: What are you making for dinner this week?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

-sweet chili lime tofu from vegan yum yum
-arroz con seitan from viva vegan
-tempeh helper from AFR
-chili verde from AFR
-big easy jambalaya from betty goes vegan
-chana masala from vegan indian kitchen (finally collected all the spices & dried pomegranate seeds she calls for)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:10 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

-Celebration roast (cuz it was on sale), mashed potatoes, steamed asparagus, onion gravy.
-seitan chimichurri tacos
-beyond meat chkn pot pie casserole
-creamy pesto pasta with the new Tofurkey spinach, pesto sausages
-baked tofu, snow pea salad with almonds and cranberries

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:46 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I'm so impressed that you can plan all this out for the week. I wish I was better at that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:56 pm 
WELFARIST!

Done my cookin' for the day. In fact, for pretty much the week. Everything turned out fantastically (except the lemon bars, the crust of which I overbaked slightly but not ruinous--I think I caught it just before a burnt taste would have set in) but I've made that mistake before because when I use my toaster oven things tend to bake faster and I forget. Good thing I was standing right by the toaster oven, stirring the lemon curd for the topping on the stovetop so I caught the change in the smell from nicely toasted to turning burnt before any real damage was done.

The tempeh creole from Oprah's vegan stint is really a delightful recipe. I've made it before and don't remember it packing this kind of flavor punch. That could, of course, have a lot to do with the brand of Cajun seasoning I used (I had to use Cajun seasoning because I didn't have Creole seasoning on hand) but it calls for a lot of the seasoning, so that's a lot of the flavor for the recipe. But the tempeh really gets a flavorin' with it simmering in a very strongly flavored marinade for an hour or so, being dredged in flour mixed with more creole/cajun seasoning and then sauteed before being added to the veg mixture. I always loved the Tempeh Creole from The Voluptuous Vegan and would have said that's the best tempeh creole I've tried but now I'm not sure....this one is pretty damn good! Really rich flavor for a fairly short cooking time. Here's the recipe link in case anyone's interested in trying it. Yum, I recommend it!

http://www.oprah.com/food/Tempeh-Creole

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:58 pm 
Inflexitarian

It's my sister's birthday today and I'm cooking dinner tonight...

- seitan schnitzels
- caulipots
- onion gravy
- roasted caponata (Big Vegan)
- chocolate and almond cake (Big Vegan)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:40 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

seitanicverses wrote:
Done my cookin' for the day. In fact, for pretty much the week. Everything turned out fantastically (except the lemon bars, the crust of which I overbaked slightly but not ruinous--I think I caught it just before a burnt taste would have set in) but I've made that mistake before because when I use my toaster oven things tend to bake faster and I forget. Good thing I was standing right by the toaster oven, stirring the lemon curd for the topping on the stovetop so I caught the change in the smell from nicely toasted to turning burnt before any real damage was done.

The tempeh creole from Oprah's vegan stint is really a delightful recipe. I've made it before and don't remember it packing this kind of flavor punch. That could, of course, have a lot to do with the brand of Cajun seasoning I used (I had to use Cajun seasoning because I didn't have Creole seasoning on hand) but it calls for a lot of the seasoning, so that's a lot of the flavor for the recipe. But the tempeh really gets a flavorin' with it simmering in a very strongly flavored marinade for an hour or so, being dredged in flour mixed with more creole/cajun seasoning and then sauteed before being added to the veg mixture. I always loved the Tempeh Creole from The Voluptuous Vegan and would have said that's the best tempeh creole I've tried but now I'm not sure....this one is pretty damn good! Really rich flavor for a fairly short cooking time. Here's the recipe link in case anyone's interested in trying it. Yum, I recommend it!

http://www.oprah.com/food/Tempeh-Creole

Pinned the recipe :) sounds tasty!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:09 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

This week:

-Mexican-inspired grilled cheese, with daiya, avocado, salsa, refried beans, corn.
-Pesto Pasta with grape tomatoes
-A mishmash of things: lentil salad, raw broccoli/cheese salad, roasted potatoes, sautéed kale.
-Macaroni adapted from Chloe's recipe with lots of green veggies.
-Some kind of wonderfully fancy pizza.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:35 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

This week:

-Jackfruit tacos (with cashew lime crema and pickeled red onions - from VEW), slow cooked cuban beans, brown cilantro lime rice.
-Lentil Salad with tofu feta, pita with green Za’tar
-BBQ soy curls with slaw side of asparagus (that I found in my crisper!)
-Fajita soy curl tacos with beans and rice (or a bowl)
-Tortilla Soup (from AFR)
-Masala Chickpeas (from VEW)

I did a TON of cooking yesterday. Made the tacos, beans and rice, onions, cashew crema, and the BBQ sauce.

Tonight i want to get the beans and veggie stock out of the way, then the rest of the week will be super easy cooking. I think i will be working late a lot, so I am trying to prepare. Lots of stuff for lunches too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:26 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't do the whole cook everything on Sunday for the week thing. But I have been managing to meal plan, and grocery shop for the whole week. And I've been doing tribute dinners for Sarah Kramer for the past three weeks! So all of these are from How it all Vegan or The Garden of Vegan.

- Spicy Szechuan noodles with peanut butter sauce tofu, bean sprouts, and sugar snap peas
- Curried vegetables with rice, cauliflower, peas, carrots, potato and coconut milk
- Broccoli and squash toss with rice noodles
- Tofu toss with veggies and rice
- Spring time pasta with GF rotini, sundried tomatoes, basil, peas, and chickpeas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:41 pm 
WELFARIST!

I made a big pot of chili from the Teany Cookbook. Okay, this chili is outstanding, probably the best I've ever tried, but it calls for 3/4 cup of olive oil and I decided to use it all. The recipe also calls for seitan (I used some Red Seitan I had in the freezer from Viva Vegan) which I find sucks up a lot of oil when you saute it because I guess seitan is pretty low fat. So anyway, I made this chili for the first time as written and yeah, it's really good but I wrote a little note by the recipe in the book that next time to try cutting the oil in half and see if it's still as good. I think it'll hurt the recipe some though because what makes it so good to me is that it's RICH not too rich, like sick afterward rich and heavy full, but there a luxuriousness to the broth from all that oil. Also, the flavor balance is really nice, but it's the richness giving it the edge. Like, I think this stuff could win a chili cook off down in Texas--that kind of good.

I also made the pan bagna from the Teany Cookbook which is a sammich I really enjoy and make at least once every summer.

And quinoa lentil stew from La Dolce Vegan.

I might make some cornbread tomorrow to go with the chili and stew (but not today as I'm not actually eating the chili till tomorrow and I want the cornbread perfectly fresh) as it's quick to make anyhoo.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:49 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Wraps with jerk spiced chickpeas and onions
Green beans and stir fried tofu with a thai peanut sauce
Barbecue tofu with kale and black eyed peas.

That's pretty much my food for the week!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:02 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Yeah, a meal planning thread. I'd love to join in.

Sunday-Mango BBQ Beans (AFR) with Corn and Scallion Cornbread (AFR) and Roasted Zucchini Sticks

Monday-Jumbo Stuffed Shells with Balsamic Mixed Greens

http://ohsheglows.com/2013/03/13/jumbo-stuffed-shells/

Tuesday-Coconut Veggie and Chickpea Curry over Brown Basmati Rice and Roasted Cauliflower

Wednesday-Tempeh BLT’s and Roasted Vegetable Chowder

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2 ... owder.html

Thursday-Quinoa and Brown Rice Bowl with Vegetables and Tahini

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/quin ... and-tahini

Friday-Portobello Tacos with Salsa and Black Bean Salad with Avocado Lime Dressing

Saturday-Takeout

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:23 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

- TVP pot pies
- Mashed potato-edamame burritos & kale salad (Vegan slow cooker)
- Hungarian mushroom soup (also Vegan slow cooker)
- Fusilli Primavera Pasta (Appetite for Reduction)
- Broccoli & Cashew Tofu (http://www.olivesfordinner.com/2013/04/ ... -tofu.html)
- Pizza night (probably frozen prepared crusts)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:15 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm trying to be better about actually planning things and doing my grocery shopping on Sundays! So here's what we've got for the next few days:

- Seitan schnitzels (found in the freezer, originally from the vegan butcher in Sydney), rosemary fries and salad.
- Pesto gnocchi soup with almond-oat bread.
- Marinated tofu burgers, probably with leftover rosemary fries.
- Chimichurri tempeh, green beans and baked potatoes.
- Some kind of hot dogs (this is Boyfriend's cooking night!).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:08 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I was in a weird mood and nothing really sounded good when I made the list this week, so I hope I'm in the mood for stuff when it's time to eat it.

- Beyond Meat fajitas with refried beans & guac
- broccoli almond sweet & sour tofu (vegan yum yum) with WF's vegetable egg rolls
- veggies & dumplings, soy curl variation (vegan diner)
- pasta de los angeles (AFR)
- yellow split pea soup with chard (vegan eats world)
- southern black-eyed peas (chloe's kitchen)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:08 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

(Keeping in mind that I have been incredibly lazy after work lately, and am not particularly interested in getting down and dirty in the kitchen):

-Freshly made pea raviolis with pesto sauce and asparagus with pesto Tofurkey sausages. (Substitute pasta and marinara for my guy)
-Tofu and broccoli stir-fry with frozen pad see ew noodles from TJs (minus the tofu in their package - gross!)
-Craving a curry with potatoes, onions, carrots, peppers, green beans, broccoli, tofu and a coconut-curry sauce with rice
-Also craving some biscuits, and I'll probably BBQ something and sautee some greens
-Inevitably eating out on Friday night

Saturday is my best friend's graduation party and I was tasked with making the veggie portion of the taco bar, so I am making:
-chimichurri soy curls
-jackfruit carnitas
-jalepeno slaw
-lime and cilantro crema
-queso (probably for my own entertainment)
-bringing some freshly made tortillas, tortilla chips and salsas from my local Tortilleria.
-sugar skull cake (since it's cinco de mayo themed) - just a chocolate/vanilla bi-layer cake in the shape of a skull with lots of colorful icing. I am doing it free-form, and it's bound to get messy - looking forward to making it, that's for sure!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:27 pm 

That taco bar sounds bomb!

This week's loose plans are:
-Greek pizza with olives, spinach and hopefully something else fresh from the market (sigh, tomatoes, sigh), potatoes and AVC feta
-pho chay with salt & pepper tofu
-some type of chickpea curry with jasmine rice, maybe Indian or Pakistani
-chicky seitan tacos and margaritas, adapted from a Rick Bayless book

I have some mustarb herb tofu in the freezer that can come out if needed...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:14 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

This week: watching what I eat, so it is AFR most of the time. Fine with me. Fine for omni partner too, he loves this book

Tortilla Soup (AFR) last night, eating leftovers right now. Man is this soup good
Summer Curried Corn Chowder (AFR) ok, i did find a recipe in there that I have not made yet!
Ceasar salad with tempeh and coconut bacon bits
Thai Green beans with tofu
Baked potatoes with chickenless tenders and broccoli. Some kinda sauce on it. maybe BBQ
BBQ soy curls and corn/tomato/veggie sautee

Nothing for Saturday. I am going out of town for business for 6 days starting Sunday, who knows what I will eat. So I am trying to convince my partner to take me to Native foods or something. Yeah right....he hates that place :( but I need a good last meal!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:31 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Chicki wrote:
Summer Curried Corn Chowder (AFR) ok, i did find a recipe in there that I have not made yet!

I think this is my favorite recipe in AFR! It has such amazing flavor. I should definitely make it again soon.

I'm cooking from Chloe's Kitchen for the cookbook challenge this week:
-Spinach Artichoke Dip (for snacking)
-Tuscan Greens & Beans Soup
-Chipotle Chop Salad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I'm so impressed that you can plan all this out for the week. I wish I was better at that.

I find it a lot easier to have stuff planned than scrambling to figure out a meal after work. And if I just go shopping and buy a bunch of stuff, some of it will inevitably go bad if I don't already know what it's for.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:03 pm 

I still have a lot of free time on my hands right now, but planning definitely helps financially when I focus on basing my meals around what I have around plus farmers market stuff, and not the other way around.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:25 pm 
WELFARIST!

Tonight I made: Chickpea tacos, cilantro lime rice and curdito coleslaw (last two dishes from Viva Vegan!) for dinner tonight and then with leftovers for three more meals.

Tomorrow, I'll make Quinoa tabbouleh (from Yellow Rose Recipes), Garlicky Lima Bean Soup (from a Sue Spitzer book that may be called "Simply Vegetarian" but it's actually mostly vegan/veganizable) and spiced pitas from VCON for a lunch triage for my middday meals during the week.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:18 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

-Isa's Tamale Shepherd's Pie for dinner tomorrow

That's all I have planned for the week so far. I just got the Forks Over Knives cookbook, so I hope something will inspire me.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:14 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Sunday-Roasted Chickpea and Broccoli Burrito with Green Goddess Salad

http://thugkitchen.com/

Monday-Queen of Greens Soup with Endurance Crackers and Hummus

http://www.brendadavisrd.com/index.php?code=Soups

http://ohsheglows.com/2012/01/31/endurance-crackers/

Tuesday-Baked Beans, Mashed Potatoes and Caramelized Brussels Sprouts

http://www.picklesnhoney.com/2012/06/04/...ked-beans/

http://www.eatliverun.com/caramelized-brussels-sprouts/

Wednesday-Chana Masala with Indian Fried Rice and Roasted Cauliflower

http://www.theppk.com/2011/08/chana-masala/

Thursday-Quinoa Black Bean Burrito Bowls

http://theshiksa.com/2012/05/01/quinoa-b...ito-bowls/

Friday-Ricotta Stuffed Shells and Balsamic Mixed Greens

http://ohsheglows.com/2013/03/13/jumbo-stuffed-shells/

Saturday-Takeout

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:48 pm 
WELFARIST!

Goddess Nicoise salad from AFR.

Lentil soup with smoked paprika from Let them Eat Vegan!

BLT from VwaV

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 966 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 39  Next