| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 134  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:11 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Steph wrote:
torque wrote:
omg! went running in an underwire bra yesterday (which i NEVER do) and got the most nasty rug burn from the wire! oozy and yucky. so not cool.

Holy shiitake ow!! As the chafing queen (even in a sports bra), this makes me cringe!

I have the WORST chafing from my sports bra after a race today. I've never had it this bad before. I won't get into the details, but there is a lot of missing skin and I'm throwing that bra away.

And yes, races are so much fun! I was scared to do one (what if I come in last?) but once I did it I was hooked. You get so much positive energy from everyone, it's amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:13 am 
Saggy Butt

Way to go, everyone!
I ran my first relay yesterday and had a ton of fun. Funny story: there was a guy who said something i didn't catch to me during the race and then he kept pace with me the last few kms and we sprinted to the finish against each other. Same guy was in the photos my husband took of me and you can totally follow his train of thought in the series of pictures. In the first few he's watching me, in the next one he's taking a step in my direction and the last few he's right behind me. It's funny how we pick one person out in a race of 40,000.
Now gearing up for my full next weekend!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:59 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I ran a 5K yesterday and got a PR: 25:31! I would love to get down to 25:00 but I really don't want to do any of the specific training to run faster like track workouts and having to use a stopwatch or whatever.

I forget who was saying they have never done a race, but I agree with everyone else to DO IT! They are different levels of fun depending on all the variables, but always interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:59 am 
Dead by dawn

Nice work, DtC! I really want to break a 25 minute 5k but I'm nowhere near that yet. I think I can do 26. So close and yet so far!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:12 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Butternut wrote:
Steph wrote:
torque wrote:
omg! went running in an underwire bra yesterday (which i NEVER do) and got the most nasty rug burn from the wire! oozy and yucky. so not cool.

Holy shiitake ow!! As the chafing queen (even in a sports bra), this makes me cringe!

I have the WORST chafing from my sports bra after a race today. I've never had it this bad before. I won't get into the details, but there is a lot of missing skin and I'm throwing that bra away.

And yes, races are so much fun! I was scared to do one (what if I come in last?) but once I did it I was hooked. You get so much positive energy from everyone, it's amazing.

I seem to get the sports bra chaffing if I am wearing a cotton one instead of a tech, wicking one. Switching might help in the future?
I also use one of those anti-chaffing sticks and that helps, but I'm sure what I have (which I bought ages ago) isn't vegan. Does anyone happen to know of a vegan anti-chaffing stick?
Funny blurb with that though: One day last summer I got up super early do a long run before it got too hot out, so I'm yawning half asleep and anti-chaffing myself up a storm before I realized that I just applied deoderent everywhere. Doh!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:22 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I have the Vanilla Puff dusting powder from Lush and I use it as anti-chaffing powder- works fairly well, I did a long run yesterday with no ill effects.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:38 pm 
Dead by dawn

BodyGlide doesn't use animal ingredients or test on animals.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:17 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I ran 10 K for the first time today!! It felt awesome and I felt strong. After about 3,5 K my calves felt really really tight and sore but it loosened after about 1 K more. Not sure what happened there. The snow has finally started to get lost from the woods so I ran on a timber road. There were some parts with quite some snow yet which definitely slowed me down. But it was so warm outside I could run in a t-shirt for the first time this year. Hooray for my achived goal! Now I'm aiming for a half marathon this autumn.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:32 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

monkeytoes wrote:

I use this daily in the summertime. Overshaaaaaare! But really, it is the best.

Dedicated my 4.25-mile run this morning to Boston.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:21 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

The world is conspiring against me running again! Finally we have decent weather for running outside and either work things or other appointments have prevented the first run of the season so far. But if all goes well, tonight is the night! Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:39 am 

I developed a shin splint in my left leg after having to run in my trail runners for a week. Did stadium climbing last wednesday and have essentially given myself time off since then (lots of walking on saturday, which hurt my hip more than it did my shin. I think I walk wrong or something? Because it pinches the front tendon that I forget the name of after a while). Might go for a short jog tonight to see how it feels after yoga (with which I'll stretch out the muscles in my shin as best as possible) and do stadium again tomorrow am. Really hoping I can build back into the longer miles this weekend as I have a half marathon in two and a half weeks!! (this saturday/sunday would be my last long long run, I'll scale back to ~6-8 miles the weekend before)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:07 pm 
Dead by dawn

Really tough track workout tonight. Coach T put me in with a faster group for 3x1200s descending by 400s from half marathon race pace to 10k race pace. Only they're 1:45-1:50 half marathoners (and my PR is 2:03:34.) I kept up with them on the first one, crapped out on the second, at which point T told me I could go out at my paces on the third, but after recovering I stuck with them for the most part on the third (lost about 4 seconds/lap.) Phew. My legs felt good, but man I was breathing HARD. I've gained some good ground over the last 6 months and she thinks that in the next 4-6 I will be running track with this group regularly. At least one of them is running the same half marathon I'm doing in August. If it's not an A race for her, I might see if she can pace me for a sub-2 hour race. I'm not looking for 1:50, but I think I can do 1:58 with some help.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:53 am 

monkeytoes wrote:
Really tough track workout tonight. Coach T put me in with a faster group for 3x1200s descending by 400s from half marathon race pace to 10k race pace. Only they're 1:45-1:50 half marathoners (and my PR is 2:03:34.) I kept up with them on the first one, crapped out on the second, at which point T told me I could go out at my paces on the third, but after recovering I stuck with them for the most part on the third (lost about 4 seconds/lap.) Phew. My legs felt good, but man I was breathing HARD. I've gained some good ground over the last 6 months and she thinks that in the next 4-6 I will be running track with this group regularly. At least one of them is running the same half marathon I'm doing in August. If it's not an A race for her, I might see if she can pace me for a sub-2 hour race. I'm not looking for 1:50, but I think I can do 1:58 with some help.

Well done keeping up!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:53 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

monkeytoes wrote:

That is the one I use, so I feel better. Thanks for checking!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:32 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Yay! It happened! Finally last night first run of the year. So nice, but so hard! I haven't run since september, and I only managed 20 minutes with some walking on the uphills. I ran in the fields around my boyfriend's house so it wasn't my regular route and it was all up and down, but it was very nice.
Today I gave blood so no running, will do tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:22 pm 
Saggy Butt

You guys are all so awesome! I love this thread for inspiration.

I finished the Linz Marathon! It was great. I met my time goal (first time going out with a time goal!), the race was really well organized and there were more cheering spectators than i thought there would be. Only problem was that it was winter until about 10 days ago so i wasn't at all used to running in the hot and sunny weather we had today. But it was great to not freeze right after!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:33 pm 
Saggy Butt

Also! Because the marathoners had a separate finishing area and the line wasn't horrendous I waited and got one of the free massages at the end of the race for the first time. And it was sooo awesome! My legs were killing me before and even though he only worked on my lower legs because i was wearing capris my whole body felt about one million times better after the massage. Highly recommended!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:37 pm 

Well done inceptisol!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:16 pm 

Ran another 4-mile race in Central Park and knocked about a minute off my pace-per-mile. Whee! I've got another one lined up for next weekend, too. I'M A MACHINE.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:23 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

awesome!!
i was waiting to see what the next races in my city would be to try and get myself motivated to race. Of course the next one is basically this: run 2.5 k down a straight road [think 5th ave], turn around, and run back. also, down a road that i drive every day. i'm sorry, but even to a dope who runs every day on a treadmill, that is the least interesting thing i've heard of, maybe ever.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:22 pm 

Booo. Out-and-backs should be reserved for training runs only! In my humble opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:45 pm 

My half marathon in two weeks is going to be a sort of out-and-back. It goes out for a while and loops back to the original part and you follow it back. Fortunately, however, it's practically on the coast (and starts on a beach), so I'm kind of ok with that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:02 pm 

lillianp wrote:
My half marathon in two weeks is going to be a sort of out-and-back. It goes out for a while and loops back to the original part and you follow it back. Fortunately, however, it's practically on the coast (and starts on a beach), so I'm kind of ok with that.

I'd be totally okay with a view of the water for nearly an entire race!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:04 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I kind of love out and backs because it's easy for me to note my progress, it's like a visual countdown!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:12 pm 

I just take my Garmin, but I get that. My everyday training route is always an out and back, though, so I like to mix it up when I'm running a race.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 134  Next