| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: b12 and cobalt allergy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:13 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Hi everyone, I’m new here but have been lurking around for a while (creepy). Anyway, recently I was patch tested at the dermatologist because I’ve been experiencing hives and rashes and swelling for most of the year. Turns out I was allergic to a lot different things and one of them was cobalt. I wasn’t really aware that was in b12 until I got home and took a look at my paper of things to avoid and right at the bottom it said b12. So I’ve been kinda freaking out all day. A cobalt free b12 doesn’t exist does it? What am I going to do? Cobalt wasn’t the big thing that was causing reactions, fragrance was but it’s certainly not helping things. Ughh what do I do? I have another appointment with my derm at the end of the month but I don’t really think she’s going to be much help on this issue. This is really stressing me out.

Post subject: Re: b12 and cobalt allergy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:12 pm 

A few more things I wanted to add, this was a patch test for skin allergies so is it possible this could just be for skin or is it likely going to affect me internally too (this is something I will bring up with my derm as well) and is cobalt also used in my foods that are fortified with b12?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:54 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Vitamin B12 is a vitamin, therefore, we all have to take it (in food or supplements) in order to function properly. There's no cobalt-free vitamin B12. We need very little vitamin B12, micrograms a day. They might be just advising against taking megadoses of it or against using cosmetics containing it (such as Creme de la Mer).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:03 pm 

rhelune wrote:
Vitamin B12 is a vitamin, therefore, we all have to take it (in food or supplements) in order to function properly. There's no cobalt-free vitamin B12. We need very little vitamin B12, micrograms a day. They might be just advising against taking megadoses of it or against using cosmetics containing it (such as Creme de la Mer).

Thank you! That's what I was suspecting but my brain started shutting down and I panicked.