| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Could Philly host the 2024 Olympics?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The mayor put our name on the list:
Quote:
Mayor Michael Nutter has sent a letter to the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) confirming the city's commitment to working with the USOC to bid on the 2024 Olympic Games.

In the letter, Nutter wrote of the city's interest in the possibility of becoming the U.S. Candidate City, and ultimately, the Host City.
"The Philadelphia region has enthusiastically embraced the prospect of bidding on and hosting a future Olympic Games, and we look forward with great anticipation to the opportunity to work with the USOC on this project," Mayor Nutter said in the letter.

"The City of Philadelphia shares the USOC's dedication to building a spectacular experience for the Olympic athletes, the Olympic family, and the watching world. We have had great success partnering with other organizations to host world-class events and we are committed to working cooperatively and effectively under the direction of the USOC in the months - and hopefully - years ahead."

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?secti ... id=9075306

Post subject: Re: Could Philly host the 2024 Olympics?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:48 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I don't really understand why any city wants to host the Olympics. It's nothing but a money pit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:27 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I, uh, I'm pretty sure Philly would be a terrible place to put the olympics. Don't get me wrong - I love that city with all of my heart, but no.
nope.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:55 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i wrote this last night and then dumped it, but since it looks like i'm not the only party pooper here.....

we are hosting the olympics in Rio and it is the biggest waste of money we could ever have decided on. all the cash for stadiums that really, the private companies that own the stadiums should be financing [they're not owned by the state, and they can afford it.], infrastructure that may be nice, but is removing all sorts of historical stuff including indigenous property, in the meantime the city itself is falling down, crime is out of control.... and why? so that we can be all China/South Africa afterwards and knock the stadiums down? have them occupied by squatters? it kills me to think what we could do with this money (fix public health! full time education instead of part time! fix public transit so that tourists don't have to get attacked in private scam buses, as keeps happening in the news) if we weren't blowing it on a one-time BS event. And the world cup is even worse.
sorry, i guess the better model for US comparison would be Atlanta, but i don't think that it really did much for them either.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:18 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I really hope I don't live here when and if this happens. Or if so, then I'm staying in Jersey that week and taking vacation from work. I'm annoyed with commuting in and out of Philly on normal days. I can't even imagine what this city would be like if the Olympics were here! NO! Besides Mayor Nutter, how are you going to hide all of the trash, homeless, and broken down neighborhoods? And where in the hell would they actually have the ceremonies?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:51 am 
Tofu Pup

This just strikes me as a bad idea all around. While it would certainly be a boost to the city in some ways, I don't think it would change or improve any of the things about the city that really need it. Money would be poured into the athletic areas and the tourist areas, and what of the rest of the city?

I can't even imagine. And GraciaKai, you're right--where would they hide the less photogenic aspects of living here? They've already tried moving the homeless from the Parkway when the Barnes arrived, and I hate to think of what they'd do if the whole world was watching.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:49 am 
Discovered unobtainium

torque wrote:
i wrote this last night and then dumped it, but since it looks like i'm not the only party pooper here.....

we are hosting the olympics in Rio and it is the biggest waste of money we could ever have decided on. all the cash for stadiums that really, the private companies that own the stadiums should be financing [they're not owned by the state, and they can afford it.], infrastructure that may be nice, but is removing all sorts of historical stuff including indigenous property, in the meantime the city itself is falling down, crime is out of control.... and why? so that we can be all China/South Africa afterwards and knock the stadiums down? have them occupied by squatters? it kills me to think what we could do with this money (fix public health! full time education instead of part time! fix public transit so that tourists don't have to get attacked in private scam buses, as keeps happening in the news) if we weren't blowing it on a one-time BS event. And the world cup is even worse.
sorry, i guess the better model for US comparison would be Atlanta, but i don't think that it really did much for them either.

Well, in theory, it is supposed to bring tourism and lots of revenue in, but has it ever? All the spending and building etc (but not the bulldozing all the "negative" areas) would probably be worthwhile if there was a net gain in a variety of ways over the following decade or so, but I don't think this has ever actually happened.

It seems to me that the best thing to do would be to choose a country or location that really needs tourism and infrastructure (because they don't have much or its old/inadequate for their own everyday purposes) and build them up using money from an international coalition, raised for the purpose, thereby leaving a deserving area better off than before.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:32 am 
Seagull of the PPK

you must be talking about Sochi, in Russia? ha! [snif, god the world is so forked up]

no shiitake, i agree with you entirely. if anybody really gave a shiitake about improvements to local communities, we'd be having it in Haiti. However, the real motive is cronyism and steal-as-much-as-you-can.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:24 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

they'd probably build it all in south philly near all the other stadiums. (unless they're planning on tearing those down and making a super complex, which i doubt since those are mostly still rather new.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:05 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I'm pretty sure I hope this doesn't happen, but who knows if I'll even be living here in ten years.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:37 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Philly doesn't have the infrastructure. It can barely support our tiny downtown! Tens of thousands pouring in and out for the games? Fuggitaboutit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:34 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

GraciaKai wrote:
I really hope I don't live here when and if this happens. Or if so, then I'm staying in Jersey that week and taking vacation from work. I'm annoyed with commuting in and out of Philly on normal days. I can't even imagine what this city would be like if the Olympics were here! NO! Besides Mayor Nutter, how are you going to hide all of the trash, homeless, and broken down neighborhoods? And where in the hell would they actually have the ceremonies?

Yeah, that's what I'd be afraid of. All those people. Ohmygod. And public transportation sucks already . . . imagine if thousands more were using it.

I think what they did in London was that a lot of the events were also held in suburbs outside of the city. I imagine that's what they could do if the Olympics ever came here. They'd probably hold events in places like Paoli or West Chester that have less "ugliness."

All in all though, I don't really believe that we'd have that much of a shot of getting it. Hopefully I'm right.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:01 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

they'd probably just run more trains. they have a lot of cars stashed away, they just need to hire more conductors for the week. (and/or make the trains longer.)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:40 pm 

starrynight87 wrote:
They'd probably hold events in places like Paoli or West Chester that have less "ugliness."

Does any train even go to West Chester?!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:40 pm 

I'm trying to even imagine what would happen on the Blue Route. Actually I don't even want to try to imagine that. Bloody hell.