| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 747 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pet Awesomes
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:36 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

2 vegan bakers on Cupcake Wars - one won!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:27 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Earth Day Dallas this weekend and their many vegan food stand choices! Best fair ever!

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:20 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

the boyfriend's work picked him up a vegan lunch today at our fave thai place!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:15 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I made the Just Chocolate cake from the recipes section for my sons birthday today and everyone proper loved it, some even said it was the best chocolate cake they've eaten, yay!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:24 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

more hot salsa from the neighbor! yes!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:53 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Someone I know is considering going vegan (from vegetarian) thanks to me. Yay! Another person is going animal products free a couple of days a week. Yay again!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:04 pm 
Dead by dawn

Biker boy told me last Sunday that we were invited to dinner at his neighbor C's house for last night and told me that all we were supposed to bring was wine. I fretted over it a bit because I don't really know C, but I just trusted biker boy to have had the appropriate conversation. So it was me, biker boy, C, and a couple that live next door to biker boy (I'd met him before, but not her) and it was all vegan except for shrimp that they could add! C prepped a bunch of fresh veggies and some baked tofu so that we could all roll our fresh rolls, and she made a coconut-based curry with peppers and spinach. It was all yummy and everyone rolling their own fresh rolls was fun and I don't know what the discussion was that went on beforehand, but my guy takes good care of me and all of his friends have always been so accommodating without ever making me feel weird about it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:30 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My friend brought in some non-vegan cookies to give to people. Since they had eggs and stuff, she brought me a super cute penguin pin! It is sparkly and i happened to be wearing my sparkly gypsy princess outfit, so it matches perfectly. Yay penguins!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:47 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Went to my brother in law's thesis presentation/grad thing tonight and they did a big spread of yummies I including pita wedges and salsa and veggie sushi and quinoa stuffed potatoes which were surprisingly yummy. Then the inlaws took us to a pub down the road that actually had a few vegan or easy to make vegan options. I ordered the veggie pizza hold the cheese and olives and the chef added extra veg toppings in lieu of cheese. Plus, a few of the thesis projects were animal based and gave out cute animal pins to match their projects - one was a gourmet pet food company design and one was for a box with dog basics for rescues to give with new adoptions which was adorable and really well done. But one of the best projects was a "how to go vegetarian" kit that included nicely labeled sample bags of things like flax seed and dried beans and quinoa, and a basic how to book with flash cards. I took a few of the mini buttons from that display that had little veggies and fruit on them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:41 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

This adorably awkward teenage bagger at the grocery store asked me if I was vegan tonight (based off my groceries) and when I said yes she excitedly told me that she is too. It was super cute.

(And then I got home and realized that these stupid new lentil crackers I'd grabbed without reading the label because I was in such a rush have like eighteen kinds of dairy ick in them. I want to go back and tell her not to buy them, ha.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:34 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Monkeytoes, that's so sweet and wonderful of bikerboy and his neighbors! Sounds like a fun and tasty evening!

Pinko, you probably made teen bagger's day! Sorry about your crackers, and I feel your need to go back and warn the bagger too! I can see her assuming they must be vegan since you bought them and picking some up for herself.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:10 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Bringing super yummy cupcakes to a party that everyone swoons over, then telling people they're vegan and getting the "wow, i didn't know vegan food could be so good!" response.
Changing the world, one cupcake at a time.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:54 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

You guys I was at a thing all day today with a catered lunch. I'd emailed the coordinator of said thing to let her know I was vegan and ask if it was weird for me to bring snacks or whatever, and she said she'd arrange for the caterer to make something vegan and not to worry about it. I figured it'd be a hummus wrap or something, which is cool. Nope.
She just made about half of what she brought vegan. I got a peppers/onion/basil wrap, rice salad with cashews and other yummy stuff, carrot and raisin salad, fruit salad, and two little vegan truffles. She made a vegan dessert. It was awesome and I thanked the caterer about sixty thousand times.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:55 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Wow!! That is epic!

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:49 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Woah! Mega impressed! I bet she felt great after having a very grateful vegan!

Person at work has now converted to almond milk! Woooohoooo! Only animal product left in her diet is some cheese at the weekend. Nearly there.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:48 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Homemade vegan cookies I bring to the office have evolved in status from objects of mistrust to objects of request.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:39 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

My friend's boyfriend planned a surprise party for her 40th birthday at an Italian place. I didn't think they would make anything vegan but they had a cheeseless bruschetta for me (and a bunch of cheesy ones). All of the plates of bruschetta had dressed greens which no one ate. So I started eating the garnishes off of the other plates. The server was about to take one of the empty of bruschetta plates away and I said, "oh, can I eat the greens?" and he said sure, and brought it over to me. He told me there was a salad, and I said that the salad had cheese and I don't eat cheese. So then he brought me every bruschetta plate and gave me the greens! Then they had tiramisu for dessert and he came and found me and said that they had vegan sorbet that I could have since the tiramisu is not vegan. He was so nice. I didn't think I'd be able to eat anything, but I got to eat food and dessert!

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:20 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

A friend who is really into cooking has been inviting a group of us round to dinner once a week for the past 6 weeks or so. He and his partner are really into food, including quite a bit of meat, fish, dairy, so I've been really impressed and gratified that he's made everything vegan every week except the odd bit of cheese on the side for the others to sprinkle over the top (and last week there was an egg dish, but that was only one component of a big plate of different things).

It's all been really tasty stuff too, and flavour combinations I never would have tried (including a tomato sauce with juniper berries! I don't remember ever eating juniper berries before).

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:20 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

every year the seniors in my major go out for a "senior dinner" and the department pays. I wasn't going to put up a fuss at all since most restaurants in town have a vegan option anyway, but the rest of the group decided unanimously to go to the only all-vegan place in town so I wouldn't be left out! completely blew me away, plus the food is really good so everyone was way happy.

also, yesterday a friend (not at all vegan, but has had to deal with me for 3 years so has heard it all) was mentioning the vegan dinner thing to someone I don't know and we went through the whole "oh you're vegan? I was vegetarian for a while, I think I could do the vegan thing but I REALLY love cheese" song and dance and my friend just turned to them straight faced and said "well, that's a stupid excuse." and it shut that person right up!

I no longer have to fight my own battles of food choice! people have my back!
(the several dozen cinnamon buns I bake them every semester probs has something to do with it)

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:06 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Wow, that's great that they went to an all vegan place!

So the boat trip the other day that I thought was going to be a disaster ended up being able to accommodate me fairly well. My meal card even said 'vegan'! I got a good salad to start, then my main course was grilled veggies with sauce - I know, I know, but it was actually nice vegetables including asparagus, which is ALWAYS a vegan pet awesome because I secretly enjoy the awful smell of asparagus pee - and even dessert. OK, it was a fruit cup, but still, the whole meal was WAY more food than I was expecting. I didn't even break into the builder's bar and cocoa almonds in my purse!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:18 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

booberthefraggle wrote:
every year the seniors in my major go out for a "senior dinner" and the department pays. I wasn't going to put up a fuss at all since most restaurants in town have a vegan option anyway, but the rest of the group decided unanimously to go to the only all-vegan place in town so I wouldn't be left out! completely blew me away, plus the food is really good so everyone was way happy.

also, yesterday a friend (not at all vegan, but has had to deal with me for 3 years so has heard it all) was mentioning the vegan dinner thing to someone I don't know and we went through the whole "oh you're vegan? I was vegetarian for a while, I think I could do the vegan thing but I REALLY love cheese" song and dance and my friend just turned to them straight faced and said "well, that's a stupid excuse." and it shut that person right up!

I no longer have to fight my own battles of food choice! people have my back!
(the several dozen cinnamon buns I bake them every semester probs has something to do with it)

Ok but was your sandwich THE SIZE OF YOUR ENTIRE FACE? :D

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:09 pm 
Dead by dawn

A teammate brought bakery muffins to track tonight for a post-workout treat and I wasn't paying much attention 'cause, you know, the treats are never for me. And then I heard him telling someone they were vegan and gluten free and I was so excited! Yay for muffins I didn't have to bake for myself! (And then my friend E, who's celiac, came jogging up from her last lap and was offered a muffin and turned it down until I told her they were gluten free and we did a little happy dance together, but I guess that's a Gluten Free Pet Awesome.)

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:18 am 
Chip Strong

emmalv wrote:
Homemade vegan cookies I bring to the office have evolved in status from objects of mistrust to objects of request.

That is the best! My sweetheart's family now puts me in charge of desserts for family meals/occasions after being trepidatious the first time - "How can you bake anything without eggs?" &c. Sweets are a game changer!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:45 pm 
WELFARIST!

Went to a family gathering last night of a family that is not my own, and the guy cooking all of the food made me roasted portobellos with fancy truffle oil and quinoa with asparagus and cherry tomatoes! So nice! And it was, like, not at all a big deal that that's what I was eating while everyone else ate fried chicken. I love nice, accommodating omnis.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:38 am 
Semen Strong

You know how sometimes people will say that veganism is expensive? Well this Homesteading page sets out how to feed your family on $12 pp a week, and its almost all vegan (there is a little dairy which is very easy to sub out). http://www.doctoryourself.com/eatwellcheap.html

It is an older site, but it brings home how easy it is to eat cheaply if you are eating vegan.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 747 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 30  Next