| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3434 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 138  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:18 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

luckyklutz wrote:
I kind of love out and backs because it's easy for me to note my progress, it's like a visual countdown!

I have mapmyrun that tells me how I'm doing, mileage wise. I tend to run loops that get me back home but don't do out and back. Most of the time if I do an out and back, I feel really unmotivated to go OUT. (at some point, I'm like well, might as well turn around now)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:35 pm 
Dead by dawn

I do both loops and out-and-backs for training runs, but yeah, an out-and-back race is pretty dull. Seattle is a really beautiful city to run in, but the St Paddy's Day dash was (a) an out-and-back, and (b) ran along the ugliest, dullest stretch possible of a major arterial. Not exactly inspiring, but it was still fun because the energy of a crowd just is.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:18 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Out and back races also suck because when you're on the out you see people who are already on the back! One time I did a 10K where there was also a 5K option, and the 10K people just went around the 5K loop twice. I didn't like that one either.

My long run the other day was supposed to be 9 miles, so I planned a route I thought was 9, but then when I was done my ipod told me it was really 10. My ipod always UNDERestimates, so who knows how long I really went. Whoo!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:08 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I started running in January, ran my first 5K a few weeks ago. I've fallen in love with running (run between 3-4 miles a day). I'll do an 8k this summer and trying for a half marathon in September! The Asheville half! Today I ran 4 miles, and it felt so good!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:29 pm 
Inflexitarian

I tried running again after taking a bunch of time off. My IT band still started hurting around 2km. Arrghdfgdhdd this is so frustrating. I did a ~60km off road bike race last week and it didn't complain even a little bit.

I've read online that strengthening the gluteus medius and/or maximus can help, so I've started doing exercises for that... Someone earlier mentioned form drills might help. Any specific suggestions? I tried new, properly fitted shoes. I obviously don't have proper form or something.

(also yeah an obvious next step is probably visiting a doctor. I'll do it tomorrow.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:33 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

what about the roller? i hear so much about that but have never tried it. is it worthwhile?

if i had to do a professional for this i'd probably go to a PT. mine [when i hurt my knee] gave me lots of options for stretching and such.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:28 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I fell today, YAYAYAY. Damn potholes on the greenway. I hate having to dodge every crack, but apparently it's a necessity or you'll end up banging up your knees as I did. Got up and kept running, though, and my pace wasn't horrible considering. Crazy windy, too.

4.5 miles

p.s. Tea, I just recovered from an IT band injury this winter. I found that standing, crossing one leg over the other and then stretching your hands down to the floor (sort of like a hamstring stretch but with your legs crossed) really helps. Like so:
ETA that is not me in the photo, just someone from Runner's World.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:30 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yes, get the roller. It really helps. I use it for my calves in order to avoid PTT and PF, but when I first started running my IT band hurt and that helped. Otherwise, if it keeps flaring up, you may want to lay off the running and cross train for a bit. In the meantime, stretch, foam roll, and do your strengthening exercises (clams and squats come to mind). Runner's World has a lot of info as well, and the people in the injury forums are generally helpful too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:43 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I have runner's knee! Ow! I can't decide if I want to go on my run tonight. I know I should probably rest, but the pain isn't that bad, just a bit dull and persistent.

I know I need to get a gait analysis and buy quality shoes, but I need to wait until I get my tax refund.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:55 pm 
Inflexitarian

Doctor suggested it might be an injury to the lateral ligament in my knee (LCL? She didn't call it that specifically, but that's the only thing that matches what she said on google), probably acquired at the same time I had a minor ankle sprain 6-ish weeks ago, recommended a specific PT covered by university healthcare. I'll call them shortly.

I'm googling details about that sort of injury and seeing things like "n number of months to recover" and getting angry, mostly at myself because the previously referenced ankle sprain happened because of a drunken sprint-race.

eta: At the very least I can be satisfied that I won said race.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:02 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

obvs a doc will know better, but there are degrees of injury- i tore my MCL and it took forever to heal, but it was torn, worst case scenario. yet injury also could just be inflammation, or somewhere in the middle. it could be anything, i hope you find out exactly what it is and send it packing!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:07 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I've been running a fair bit since my last post and it's getting a lot easier. I'm back down in Cornwall so the route is hilly as opposed to the flat runs I was doing back home. I'm running a between 6-7k when I go out, and for some reason I find it easier than just the 5Ks on flat ground. Perhaps it's because it's a scenic route, and the downhills are great. And I saw a rooster on my run. BTW I was running along the seafront. Things get weird when you go to Cornwall.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:11 pm 
Saggy Butt

thepaddlingbaker wrote:
I started running in January, ran my first 5K a few weeks ago. I've fallen in love with running (run between 3-4 miles a day). I'll do an 8k this summer and trying for a half marathon in September! The Asheville half! Today I ran 4 miles, and it felt so good!

Congratulations on your first 5k. It feels good the first time you get to 5k doesn't it? Good luck with the rest of your training.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:12 am 

God, the wind here will NOT let up. Please stoppppp. I ran 4.5 miles today despite it.

I sort of kind of entered the non-guaranteed lottery for the NYC Marathon yesterday. ONLY TIME WILL TELL. I'm not going to be devastated if I don't get selected – I'm doing the NYRR 9+1 thingy (run 9 NYRR qualifier races, volunteer at 1 NYRR race), which means I'll get guaranteed entry in 2014. But it would be cool if I did!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:32 am 
Dead by dawn

Good luck in the lottery alice! I ponied up my $11 yesterday too, but my chances are considerably slimmer since I'm in the not-in-NY bucket. Can't win without playing though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:32 pm 
Inflexitarian

I was able to run 5k! I could have kept going, too, but stopped because it started to rain and I didn't want to push my luck. The PT gave me some exercises and stretches to do (turns out my right hip muscles are helluva weak compared to my left). It hasn't been long enough for those to have any effect yet but while there she also taped up my knee a bit and it turns out knee tape is pretty much magical.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:33 pm 
Dead by dawn

Oh good, I'm glad your PT was able to give you some stuff to do. It seems like most people have a weak/lazy side. Stick with it and you should see some good results.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:57 pm 

monkeytoes wrote:
Good luck in the lottery alice! I ponied up my $11 yesterday too, but my chances are considerably slimmer since I'm in the not-in-NY bucket. Can't win without playing though.

Oh man! You have to tell me if you're selected! I do feel like it's going to be very difficult for us non-guaranteed folks because of the Sandy cancellation last year, but $11 was worth the risk to find out.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:20 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

alice1drland wrote:
–I'm doing the NYRR 9+1 thingy (run 9 NYRR qualifier races, volunteer at 1 NYRR race), which means I'll get guaranteed entry in 2014. But it would be cool if I did!

I'm doing this too. I've done 4 so far and I have another one coming up. I'm trying to get them out of the way as early in the year as possible. Good luck with the lottery!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:25 pm 
Dead by dawn

alice1drland wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

Oh man! You have to tell me if you're selected! I do feel like it's going to be very difficult for us non-guaranteed folks because of the Sandy cancellation last year, but $11 was worth the risk to find out.

Yup, I guesstimated my chances at 5% last year but definitely less this year because of all the deferrals. I wish they still let you in automatically if you lost the lottery three years in a row. I'll get in someday, dammit!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:40 am 

monkeytoes wrote:
alice1drland wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

Yup, I guesstimated my chances at 5% last year but definitely less this year because of all the deferrals. I wish they still let you in automatically if you lost the lottery three years in a row. I'll get in someday, dammit!

Do they not? This is on the marathon website for guaranteed entry qualifications:

Applicants who would have qualified for 2013 marathon entry by being denied entry three consecutive times (2010, 2011, and 2012) and who were not accepted via an alternative method such as through an international travel partner, sponsor, or charity.

And yeah, Butternut, I'm totally getting mine out of the way as soon as possible, too. I'm running the Run as One this Sunday, volunteering and running in May, packed my June with races... I think by the time July is up I'll have 2 races left to fulfill. Something like that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:40 am 
Dead by dawn

My understanding was that they stopped doing it last year but the people who already had one or two rejections under their belts were grandfathered in. They just have so many more qualifiers these days that there's fewer slots left for non-qualifiers.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:55 pm 

Ahh, I see. That makes sense. That sucks, though!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:52 pm 

Today, I ran a charity fun run for my grandfather-in-law's 90th birthday! We were celebrating his birthday and his 45 years of running. The run raised $10,00 for charity, the mayor came, and it was covered by several local media outlets. I hope I'm still running when I'm 90!

Here's a news story about Ben if you want to read it: http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Grotsk ... story.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:59 am 
Saggy Butt

How cool is that? What a guy...

I was in London yesterday & ran along the canal. It was the first time I was able to run in 3/4 length trousers & a vest under my jacket. Whooo, come on Spring!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3434 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 138  Next