| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Feeding Toddlers is Annoying
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:37 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

jewbacca wrote:
Sometimes I just think I'm better off making dinner and throwing it on the floor, because that's where it ends up going. Just sayin'.

Ha! Seriously. PB&J is the only thing Lydia will consistently eat that is calorie dense. Every thing else is usually rejected. Even spaghetti with red sauce isn't eaten half the time, and that used to be her favorite food. She will at least eat most fruits and veggies, but she needs calories and protein too. Sigh. At her last ped visit, her BMI percentile was 2%. Eep. At least the ped isn't worried yet....

Last edited by helbury on Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:45 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Love the thread title. After working with kids for ages, I should be prepared, but the whole "I've lovedthis food for months, but now I won't take one single bite ever" phase drives me insane. Olives, sweet potato, baked beans, cucumbers, tomato soup...all bit the dust after the first of the year.

She's off the scale height and weight wise (just over 34" and just under 34lbs) though, so clearly she's not wasting away. :p

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:08 pm 
Semen Strong

Ugh. I was cleaning up and she was eating her lentils and then out of the blue, she carefully and deliberately just poured them all over the carpet and the couch. I had one of those angry moments, when you see red, and had to take a mommy time-out (didn't say anything of course) just to calm down.

And sometimes I feel like it would be easier to just throw money onto the floor and burn it, because all the organic berries and veggies end up as garbage anyway, and that way I wouldn't have to scrape them out of the carpet - ash would be significantly easier, I think.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:37 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Ugh. Lu has decided to stop eating anything besides hummus and tortillas. Seriously, like hummus and tortilla for three straight days. He's not only turning down his usual favorites like watermelon, strawberries, pasta, and smoothies, he's angrily tossing them back at me! Welcome to age two?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:10 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

equus wrote:

We're doing BLW with the baby but did purees with our oldest, so part of me wonders if that's why. Mommy-guilt is a beast!

Don't guilt yourself. We did purees with our oldest and BLW with our youngest who is now 22 months old.

The pureed child was hard to get to eat anything. She's 5 now and has a great diet.

The BLW child was eating table food by 5-6 months with some pureed packs of food here or there because I wanted him to be used to all food textures. He was an amazing eater up to about 2 months ago. Its killing me that he is becoming SOOOOOOOO picky!

Last night for dinner Miles ate 2 taco shells. A few of them would get a tiny little bit of avocado on them. Two nights before he wouldn't eat dinner at all. Its so frustrating because like I said above he was the most awesome eater ever!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:13 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Raspberry Swirl wrote:
Ugh. Lu has decided to stop eating anything besides hummus and tortillas. Seriously, like hummus and tortilla for three straight days. He's not only turning down his usual favorites like watermelon, strawberries, pasta, and smoothies, he's angrily tossing them back at me! Welcome to age two?

Ha! Miles just started eating hummus and tortillas! Every time in the past his Dr would ask how he was with eating and I would say he's great and list a who slew of awesome healthy foods that he eats. She always said "well don't get used to it because between the ages of 2 and 4 kids just stop eating." Miles is almost 2. I kinda hate her for being right!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:22 pm 

JENNA wrote:
Raspberry Swirl wrote:

Ha! Miles just started eating hummus and tortillas! Every time in the past his Dr would ask how he was with eating and I would say he's great and list a who slew of awesome healthy foods that he eats. She always said "well don't get used to it because between the ages of 2 and 4 kids just stop eating." Miles is almost 2. I kinda hate her for being right!

Lu turned two in February, and now he's officially picky. I hate it! He's already underweight, so this will make that so much harder. Yesterday he requested a smoothie, but only a "Daddy smoothie". Since his daddy was out of town and not available for smoothie making, I made him a smoothie. It was rejected. This morning he ate tortillas and hummus for breakfast. Again. For lunch I made him some tvp meatballs (a former favorite), which he ignored and just picked at some toast. Then he asked for hummus. *sigh*

How will they survive toddlerhood without food? Goodness.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:59 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

The twins I nanny for no longer have any foods they'll consistently eat. They'll eat plain quinoa, bananas, noodles and clementines more than half the time, but not always. I don't think K has eaten a vegetable in months though sometimes she will take one, take a bite, spit the bite out onto the floor, and repeat until it's all gone and there are slobbery chunks of veggie everywhere.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:37 pm 
And you never will.

poopieboy was such a good eater until right around when he turned 2, then it definitely went down hill. We're doing a lot better now - he has a lot more foods that he will eat again that he would consistently refuse just a couple of months ago, but I'm sure we'll go through more phases of picky eating before it all evens out.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:53 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

JENNA wrote:
Don't guilt yourself.

indeed. by the time the kid is a teen you will have gone through this THOUSANDS of times. [and still going]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:03 pm 

Sigh.

Also, yesterday at breakfast, we had no bread to serve with our usually fruit/cereal/yogurt, etc. I gave Freya part of a tortilla that we had in the cupboard. She nibbles eagerly, but then after about a few seconds, she starts stroking it with her finger and saying something. I come closer and ask her what she needs and she again strokes the tortilla and says "hummmm" "humm" and points to the fridge. Did we have any hummus? No. A sad sad moment. :(

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:16 pm 
Semen Strong

Awww! Hummmm!

I'm trying to get Leela to use signs or words for food. You know, instead of screeching at the fridge so we have to guess. SQUAWK! Followed by irate whinging if you didn't guess that that meant olives. And sometimes, if you didn't get the right thing she eats it and then carefully dribbles it on the carpet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:33 pm 

I am really thankful that part of F's language spurt is a healthy vocabulary of food terms. It's funny to see what words she chooses though too. We eat pears nearly every single day, but she doesn't say pear (just yesterday I think we've hear some sort of p word maybe). Yet she knows apple, which she eats maybe once/week. She doesn't say (or sign) water, but she clearly says "tea", which she doesn't not like at all! (though now, she likes to pretend with her tea set)

Still trying to work out how much to accommodate her at dinner. Tonight, we had a barley veg/lentil pilaf, peas, bread and smoothie. She's not touching the pilaf or the peas. She eats some of the bread (with hummus!), but then K says that the smoothie is a bit not too sweet (the avocado wasn't ripe enough it seems, but I couldn't taste it because I'm allergic to bananas). So, she's going to eat just a half slice of toast w/hummus and be done. But then, I offer her a plum since her smoothie is gnarly and she demolishes it. Sigh. I sooo want to say sometimes "just TRY it for god's sake". She loves oniony stuff like the pilaf, so if she could just take one bite I think we'd be good to go, but no.

Argh argh argh.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:03 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I am definitely also torn between the get SOMETHING nutritious into her urge and the "I'm not a short order chef" response. I feel like I get doubly punished because whatever she doesn't eat at meals gets extracted by force from my boobs. Feh.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:24 pm 

Tofulish wrote:
I'm trying to get Leela to use signs or words for food. You know, instead of screeching at the fridge so we have to guess. SQUAWK! Followed by irate whinging if you didn't guess that that meant olives. And sometimes, if you didn't get the right thing she eats it and then carefully dribbles it on the carpet.

Remy will tell us what he wants...but what he wants is always "sandwish" (peanut butter sandwich). We have a clear plastic baby gate at the entrance to the kitchen and on an especially bad day he will stand at the gate while I'm cooking a non-sandwich dinner and put on the most ridiculous dramatic performance ever. "Noooooo! Sandwish! What are you doing to meeeeeeee! I am so mad at youuuuuuu!"

They should send culinary students to my house to prepare them for high-pressure kitchens and crazy chefs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:12 pm 
***LIES!!!***

My kid! She eats! It's amazing! Yesterday she ate oatmeal, a bunch of a bagel, some apple, grapefruit, tofu, pasta with peas and EB, part of a bean-adilla. Whose kid is this?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:17 pm 

Woot! Go Malka!

Freya's taken a good turn lately too. After months of the cool "no" to a dozen previously loved foods, she's now tried many again (cucumber, olives..not sure what else now).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

refinnej wrote:
She's off the scale height and weight wise (just over 34" and just under 34lbs) though, so clearly she's not wasting away. :p

Totally OT, but OMG, she is nearly Raygold's height and weighs more!!! Go Freya!!!

Beetroot still -- STILL! -- likes to be fed sometimes (and will sit there annoying us into compliance), otherwise his appetite has always been huge (no idea where it's going, as he is slender) and he used to eat adult-sized portions (when he was, like, a year old, I shiitake you not). Raygold eats these almost comically tiny portions (except when I made Gingerbread waffles and he ate 5), but has at least 3 full-sized poops a day. Maybe he is secretly eating...something when I'm not looking?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:13 pm 

I'm trying to make cooking dinner and prepping lunches less complicated for me. This means trying to teach my partner some basic kitchen skills and give him a few recipes he can be successful with (he cannot cook at all-no knife skills or common sense). So I'm keeping a big batch of cooked plain chickpeas in the fridge at all times. I taught him how to make hummus. He can make baked tofu, too, so we try to have a batch of that pretty much all the time. I'm also roasting sweet potatoes fries every couple days to have on hand for easy snacks/lunch. I tried to teach my partner how to do that, but he is so awful with the cutting that I was worried he would lose a finger trying to slice the sweet potatoes, so no go there. I do baked falafel often, maybe I can teach him that next. These all help make easy lunches and snacks my partner can pack easily so they are good no matter what is on the agenda.

I discovered that babynut will eat steamed kale by the fistful if it has a yummy dressing on it, so my backup dinner lately is a bowl: quinoa, chickpeas, steamed kale, and balsamic vinaigrette from AFR. I also do bowls with udon noodles and peanut sauce which is always a hit. All stuff i usually have on hand. She loves it. Now for how long? I wish she liked the tofu salad from VWAV as much as I do. That would be another super easy staple. I need to start brainstorming staples for summer when I avoid turning on the oven.

What are your staple foods that make feeding baby/toddler healthy easy (sometimes on the go) with little prep?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:35 pm 
Semen Strong

I buy the Trader Joe's dumplings. They cook up easily and she holds them in her hand and they are pretty calorie dense. Not nutritionally amazing, but L will always eat them. Today she ate 4 along with lentil soup for lunch. She had her soup, and then just ran around the house with a dumpling in each fist, eating them. I'm sure you could make them from scratch and throw some beans or tofu in there.

My other staple for L is scrambled tofu. I toss in a lot of nooch, chopped kale and high protein tofu and I feel good about giving it to her. For on the go stick it in a tortilla. Oh and soups - lentil soups, cabbage, chickpea and rice, avgolemono, cream of mushroom, any soup is a hit with L. The chunkier ones, she drinks the broth and eats the soft veg chunks by the fistful and the very soft soups just get drunk straight. The only downside is that she is in a period where she loves pouring things from one container to another, so if not monitored, then bad things happen. But we have a dog, so.....

I love the idea of healthy easy toddler meals, looking forward to seeing what others share. I feel pretty guilty most of the time that she doesn't eat better and we do give her things like cake, ice-cream and chocolate and way too many crackers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:42 pm 
***LIES!!!***

My big innovation is cooking a ton of stuff on Sundays and packing into individual servings (like i am the first person who thought of this). This week I did red lentil and quinoa breakfast mush (thanks tofulish for the idea), steamed and puréed spinach (added to my breakfast mush each day and to Malka's pasta), tofu scramble, tempeh salad, and pasta with peas. I also cut up a watermelon and portioned it out. Malka only ate the pasta and peas and a tiny bit of watermelon, but the rest has made my breakfasts, lunches, and dinners super smooth and stress free. I also made beanadillas for dinner two nights using Costco tortillas and salsa and canned refried beans. Malka was a huge fan.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:14 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Butternut wrote:
I'm also roasting sweet potatoes fries every couple days to have on hand for easy snacks/lunch. I tried to teach my partner how to do that, but he is so awful with the cutting that I was worried he would lose a finger trying to slice the sweet potatoes, so no go there. I do baked falafel often, maybe I can teach him that next.

could you cut up the sweet potatoes into fry shapes and freeze them cut up? [i think you might need to soak them in something first so they don't turn color but don't quote me on that]. even make up the falafels and freeze the patties and then just pull out when needed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:37 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

It's really sad when I get excited that he will eat a sunbutter and jelly sandwich. My kid won't touch vegetables. It drives me nuts. I need to think of new ways to offer them. He used to be such a good eater, now all he wants is veggie dogs and pouches that taste like fruit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:14 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Miles has started eating slightly like his old self again this week. Thank goodness because my husband is away all week! I though of this recipe of mine that I would make all the time for Reno when she was super picky. Its for a tomato sauce that has kale, carrots and red bell pepper in it. Its great for the days that you don't have the energy to try to get them to eat kale or broccoli as is. :)

http://good-good-things.com/2009/10/picky/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:11 pm 
***LIES!!!***

This morning Malka ate like two tablespoons of peanut butter straight for breakfast. It was so awesome that she willingly ate something with fat and protein in it. And kept asking for more!