| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rest Days?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:21 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm curious how often you guys take rest days. Are they planned? Do you just take a day if your body is feeling worn down? Or do they happen unintentionally, ie, life/work gets in the way, preventing you from being active or doing your planned workout?

I end up taking a rest day usually once a week, although sometimes its twice and sometimes I'll go more than a week. I tend to rely on how my body feels but mentally I prefer not to take rest days... But I don't know if this is beneficial either (from a physical progress standpoint), so I'm trying to answer the question of even if I cross train with different activities every day, is it better to just do nothing once a week? There's a lot of info out there and its all conflicting, as expected on the interwebz.

Post subject: Re: Rest Days?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:28 am 
Dead by dawn

My coach schedules me a rest day once a week. She puts it in strategically, either because I've just finished an intense stretch of days, or because she's got me ramping up in the days following the rest day. It's not always clear to me when I look at my schedule for the week but she's pretty much always right. On top of that I take an occasional day when I just feel to exhausted to contemplate training... you do have to listen to your body. The way I see it, recovery is as important as training stress because training forces your body to adapt but recovery (whether it's rest or easy workouts) are when your body makes those adaptations.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:44 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I take one "rest" day per week, but I try to go out and walk on that day for at least an hour and I continue to stretch on that day. I do build rest weeks into my training schedule where I continue to exercise, but at low intensity and without time goals or anything like that. I'll do a few rest weeks after a fairly intense cycle of training.

I think it's important to do at least one day per week where the intensity is really low, but I'm not convinced you need to spend it completely immobile. Also remember that overtraining will manifest itself not just in sore muscles, but in irritability, trouble sleeping, change in appetite, etc... so be on the lookout for those signs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:00 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

monkeytoes wrote:
... you do have to listen to your body. The way I see it, recovery is as important as training stress because training forces your body to adapt but recovery (whether it's rest or easy workouts) are when your body makes those adaptations.

Monkeytoes is spot on.
I find it fun to push myself to exhaustion, to try and reach goals of over exertion, but then I definitely rest as hard as I've worked. I drink electrolytes on my rest days (I always drink at least 64oz / day; more when I'm hiking or biking hard, of course); something about the electrolytes help in recovery, along with extra protein and just good eating in general on the off days.

Resting is super important! I love pushing limits, but recovery is essential.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:11 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

monkeytoes wrote:
My coach schedules me a rest day once a week. She puts it in strategically, either because I've just finished an intense stretch of days, or because she's got me ramping up in the days following the rest day. It's not always clear to me when I look at my schedule for the week but she's pretty much always right. On top of that I take an occasional day when I just feel to exhausted to contemplate training... you do have to listen to your body. The way I see it, recovery is as important as training stress because training forces your body to adapt but recovery (whether it's rest or easy workouts) are when your body makes those adaptations.

I'm in this boat as well. I do one full rest day a week, and I will sometimes also have an "active recovery" day in there as well, where I'll do an easy workout. I'll also skip workouts if I feel super crappy. Recovery is crucial to any kind of training, and it's way better to take a day than to get overtrained and have to take a bunch of days or a week or more.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:27 pm 
Dead by dawn

almiratanner wrote:
I do build rest weeks into my training schedule where I continue to exercise, but at low intensity...

Yes, in addition to a rest day every week, my training plan goes in cycles. Usually two or three "build" weeks followed by a "recovery" week. Recovery week is still usually only one day off, but the rest of M-F is low intensity and/or short duration. (I do sort of laugh at the weekend at the end of a recovery week because it never looks much like "recovery" though by then I've a day off and four days that were less taxing.)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:44 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I never schedule rest days- I find that my life/ my body has a way of working them in for me. I can generally count on 1-2 days everyweek that my schedule can't accommodate any time for working out, other times, after like 5-6 continuous days, my body just needs to rest. The other way I have rest days is because of the weather- I run outside and sometimes it just too cold/ too rainy to get out there. But even on days off, I still at least take the dogs for a leisurely hour long walk.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:51 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Thanks guys. I just have to try to "let" myself take a rest day, even if my mind thinks I need to go all out. I'm for sure an A type personality, so my healthy habit, to borrow from the other thread, is to remind myself that recovery days are just as important as training days. And, like many of you, those recovery days are still incorporating walking with my dogs. The one pouts and acts like its the end of the world if she doesn't go, so I'm usually guilted into it anyway. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:21 am 
Tofu Pup

Hey all, one thing I learned is that people can hit a plateau over the course of one or a few months even with rest days built in.

-take a couple or few rest days when you're healthy and well.
-Sleep with a watch on with a second hand and take your pulse first thing when you wake up. don't move to pick up the watch, don't sit up, just move your arms slowly into position so that you can get the best reading. say you count the beats for 30 seconds and then multiply by 2 to get your resting hear rate.
-pick any day of the week and keep taking your resting heart rate on that day.
-if your pulse is higher than normal, your body needs more rest!

example:
my resting hear rate is 42. Say that morning I'm in my high 40's one morning. I will then know if I continue my current work out retinue as is, I'll need two rest days next week. If I'm in the mid 50's, I'll take a two rest days this week.

hope this helps prevent any exhausted or fatigue feelings!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:49 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Thanks Lvl99wc, that's interesting. I like that I won't be able to argue with science/physiology, lol, but I'll also know "no, I really am tired" versus "ugh, I just don't feel like getting up today." In your experience then, do you always take 2 days when your body dictates it needs rest? And if your heart rate is steady and you otherwise feel ok you just keep going with whatever workouts you want to do? I'm just curious only because I never thought to employ the methodology you suggest.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:05 am 
Asked Santa for a pony

TexTroosers wrote:
I never schedule rest days- I find that my life/ my body has a way of working them in for me. I can generally count on 1-2 days everyweek that my schedule can't accommodate any time for working out, other times, after like 5-6 continuous days, my body just needs to rest. The other way I have rest days is because of the weather- I run outside and sometimes it just too cold/ too rainy to get out there. But even on days off, I still at least take the dogs for a leisurely hour long walk.

I do this too. Usually i have at least one day a week where something comes up, so if I scheduled a rest day I would wind up taking two.