| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Spring 2013 Cookbook Challenge **weeks 6 & 7** Chloe books
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:32 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Just an early post in case the cooking weekend warriors need a head start ;)

This is the official discussion thread for weeks 6 & 7 of our cookbook challenge. During this two week period from Monday April 29 – Sunday May 12, choose 6 recipes (or more or less depending on your schedule) from CHLOE'S KITCHEN (OR HER BAKING BOOK) by Chloe Coscarelli. Come back here to tell us all about the recipes you made and post photos** if you can! (**Go to this original announcement post ---
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26223
---- scroll down to find the instructions on how to insert photos into your comment post**)

ONLINE RESOURCES FOR CHLOE'S KITCHEN (AND HER BAKING BOOK) BY CHLOE COSCARELLI:

Recipes on her blog: http://chefchloe.com/vegan-recipes.html

Chloe's Kitchen: 125 Easy, Delicious Recipes for Making the Food You Love the Vegan Way
http://books.google.com/books?id=grRQZ7yHvq4C

Chloe's Quick-and-Easy Vegan Party Foods (from Chloe's Kitchen):
10 Delicious Recipes for Making the Party Foods You Love the Vegan Way (Google eBook)
http://books.google.com/books?id=t_bJRPA8ZwsC

Chloe's Vegan Desserts:
More than 100 Exciting New Recipes for Cookies and Pies, Tarts and Cobblers, Cupcakes and Cakes--and More!
http://books.google.com/books?id=xV1157ayb68C

Chloe's Vegan Chocolate Classics (from Chloe's Kitchen):
10 Easy, Delicious Recipes for Making the Chocolate Desserts You Love the Vegan Way
http://books.google.com/books?id=4UPMVcE2bZsC

HERE'S THE FULL COOKBOOK CHALLENGE SCHEDULE:

Monday March 25 – Sunday March 31: Disappointed that one of your much loved and/or under-used cookbooks did not get chosen for our challenge? Show us how crazy wrong we were not to vote for it! Your choice of cookbook!
Monday April 1 – Sunday April 14: your choice of any Isa/Terry cookbook(s)
Monday April 15 – Sunday April 28: Vegan Diner by Julie Hasson
Monday April 29 – Sunday May 12: Chloe’s Kitchen (+ baking book)
Monday May 13 – Sunday May 26: Cookin’ Crunk by Bianca Philips
Monday May 27 – Sunday June 9: Vegan Eats World by Terry Hope Romero
Monday June 10 – Sunday June 23: Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day by Tami and Celine
Monday June 24 – Sunday July 7: Let Them Eat Vegan by Dreena Burton

*If you personally decide to change up the order of the cookbook challenge weeks, please wait until the appropriate discussion thread is posted to share your food photos + comments**

**If you don't have Chloe's Kitchen and/or aren't interested in the online resources, feel free to continue to participate in our challenge by either:
(1) Continuing to cook out of any Isa and/or Terry cookbook and sharing your comments + food photos in this thread (online resources are here too):
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26359
and/or
(2) Choosing one of your much loved and/or under-used cookbooks and sharing your comments + food photos in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26246

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

Post subject: Re: Spring 2013 Cookbook Challenge **weeks 6 & 7** Chloe boo
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:52 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Thanks for gathering all the links!

I don't have any of her books (still waiting to see if I can get Chloe's Kitchen on hold from the library in time) so maybe I'll make something from her blog. Or maybe I'll just drool over all your pictures.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:12 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

This one is going to require effort from me. I'm not sold on anything I've made from her so far. I might concentrate on the sweet things since I haven't made any of her sweet stuff yet.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:16 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

i have some ideas already...the garlic kale, the sweet & sour sauce, pineapple salsa and the yoga cookies. i am making things that will go with other dishes of mine.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:19 pm 
WELFARIST!

Oh, maybe this will inspire me to try some untried recipes. I use her book a ton, but I really stick to my favorite established recipes from it. I actually just got it out to write my shopping list and I didn't even know about this thread. <3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:35 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Limone wrote:
Thanks for gathering all the links!

I don't have any of her books (still waiting to see if I can get Chloe's Kitchen on hold from the library in time) so maybe I'll make something from her blog. Or maybe I'll just drool over all your pictures.

me too. this is one of the rare instances where my library hold is taking a really long time. there are just 3 or 4 copies in the whole system, and i've been waiting my turn. still, i am so grateful my library does interloans with other libraries in the state.

not sure if i'll cook anything from the blog, i may just pick another cookbook to use during this challenge period and post my stuff in the challenge week #1's thread..... we'll see.......

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:18 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I've been meaning to make the Rosemary Tomato Galette ever since I got the book, so I'll finally try this recipe next week!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:43 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

This will be exciting! I've had Chloe's Kitchen for quite a while but haven't cooked from it yet. I'll definitely try the mac and cheese!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:12 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I'm excited to be back on board! I don't have her books, but it looks like there are plenty of online resources. I figure I'll buy this one eventually.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:23 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I'm so excited for these next two weeks! I've really enjoyed everything I've made from Chloe's book so far.

A couple of weeks ago I made the Mocha Almond Cake for my roommates birthday. I'm counting that towards my total since it was a new recipe for me and it came out delicious! I'll post a picture soon.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:31 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Woot. I'm first. I made the avocado pesto pasta tonight. It was just for me, so I quartered it and it was the right amount. I have had this on my to try list for ages so I knew I'd love it and I did. I added the optional sun dried tomatoes. I really hate it when authors describe stuff as 'a bunch' (I sincerely hope none of the authors I test for have learnt that from my feedback!) because there's just no way to know how much that is. I just guessed the basil until it tasted right. Will definitely make again.

I like this book a lot. I could definitely do without all the pictures of Chloe. What I've made so far, if anyone is interested: cheesy broccoli soup (I didn't either make this or eat it but my cheese eating husband did and loved it so I'm counting it). Sea salt fries - very similar to how I do my fries normally so I liked them. Avocado toast - yeah, it's obvious but it reminded me of it. LA Chimichurri tacos - really liked this meal, a few components but way worth it. Garlic bread - made garlic bread a trillion times over the last 30 years but really loved this version. Spag Bol - liked it but astonishingly too rich for me. Country meatloaf and golden gravy - halved the loaf as per instructions but think I must have made a mistake somewhere because it was way way too liquid. Tasty though. The gravy was delicious.

My plans for this book are a bit off because I'm not following a normal schedule for the next 2 weeks. But I'm planning for sure the sweet potato gnocchi, the moo shoo pancakes (with bought pancakes I've been needing to use up for years), the cashew udon soup and the tomato rosemary galettes. I really want to do the mango masala panini but it won't be during this challenge.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:56 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Efcliz wrote:
I like this book a lot. I could definitely do without all the pictures of Chloe.

Haha, I thought the same exact thing. I don't own the book but I looked through it at the library before and was sort of weirded out by the number of pictures of her. Not that she's bad to look at or something, but a large number of pictures of one person grinning is... odd.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:20 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I got her book through inter-library loan a few days ago. I have to say, the only recipes that are really exciting me are the desserts. I'll make a few of them, but probably shouldn't live on cookies, cake, and candy for the next two weeks.

Efcliz, thanks for posting what you've liked. I might try that broccoli soup.
Seitanicverses, what are your favorite tried and true recipes that you keep making out of the book?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:32 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I LOVE Chloe's Kitchen! Everything that I've made has been amazing. So far I have loved...
- Spinach-Artichoke Dip (tasted just like a restuarants'!)
- Cesar Salad (Tasted just like the real thing!)
- roasted maple brussel sprouts (tasted like candy!)
- Acocado Toast
- Pancakes
- Best Ever Mac and Cheese (Amazing!)
- Vodka Penne and garlic bread (incredible)
- Chinese take out chow mein
- Teriyaki Wok Vegtables
- Bannana cupcakes made into a sheet cake
Seriously Chloe can do no wrong. Everyone I have cooked for has loved everything! This book is very omni friendly.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=24501886[url][/url]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:03 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

bookwormbethie wrote:
not sure if i'll cook anything from the blog, i may just pick another cookbook to use during this challenge period and post my stuff in the challenge week #1's thread..... we'll see.......

bookworkbethie, do you think it makes more sense to post non-Chloe stuff in the week #1 thread or in this thread with a disclaimer since it's happening at the same time as the Chloe stuff? I'm not really in love with anything on the blog either, so I think this week I'd like to give myself a themed challenge instead of one tied to a specific cookbook.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:50 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I checked this book out from the library a few weeks ago and have not been inspired to make anything. Now it's overdue, so it's basically an expensive coffee table ornament until I get unlazy enough to return it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:05 am 

For me one of the good things about the challenge is to try something I'm not especially inspired to make. Otherwise you may as well just keep on making things you already know. One of the points is to get something unexpected?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:01 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Going to make the broccoli soup today without the bread bowl because I have a head of broccoli in the fridge that needs using.

I'm thinking of doing the mango masala panini next weekend. Might make one of the cookies during the week also.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:36 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I made the German Chocolate Cake from Chloe's Desserts, and didn't get any photos of it. Honestly, it wasn't much to look at! Really tasty and rich though. It made a lot of extra filling for me, so I froze some of it. Very sweet, didn't need all of it!

Would definitely make again when the GCC craving strikes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:56 am 
Saggy Butt

For people looking for good savoury options, I like her black bean and mushroom tacos with mango salsa on her blog. Haven't tried anything else yet but want to try her amazing pumpkin cupcakes that won the cupcake wars. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:49 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The broccoli was fit to walk out of the fridge so no broccoli soup for me. Oh well. Will buy some during the week.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:19 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Efcliz wrote:
For me one of the good things about the challenge is to try something I'm not especially inspired to make. Otherwise you may as well just keep on making things you already know. One of the points is to get something unexpected?

I agree wholeheartedly, but I don't have any of her books and the selection of the recipes on her blog is rather limited. I may give them another look and pick one anyway though, just because!

I hit up the supermarket yesterday and got a whole ton of Korean ingredients, so I think my unofficial theme for the week will be veganizing recipes on Korean cooking blogs. A lot of them are *almost* there anyway (just finding subs for fish stock and stuff like that) so it should be fun.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:07 pm 

Ooh yum, do that! I love love love Korean food!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:28 pm 

Why didn't I read the tomato galette recipe properly and take note of all the time the pastry needs to spend in the fridge?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:30 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I made her seitan today. It's pretty standart but I like it better than most more elaborate ones (eg with yeast and chickpea flour, etc).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next