| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 709 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Project Runway (spoilers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:44 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Stanley and Daniel were really boring, yes. Michelle's collection was interesting and a lot of it I'd actually wear. Liked the utilicoat! Clearly none of the judges who were making fun of her being styled with too many bags has ever had a toddler. :P

With Patricia, I thought the horse hair cloak everyone thought was so fantastic was just really fug. I thought that as a way to channel a Native American influence it was really cheesy and stereotypical, plus...fug. But the blue dress I actually really liked! I didn't love the truffula wig, but the dress itself was fine. And I liked the other dress they all thought was so terrible, so what do I know, I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:04 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I didn't understand why Stanley had so many unfinished pieces. When Tim visited him he seemed like he had everything done!

Daniel should have shown that leather coat he molded in the sunlight. I know, Ew, leather, but if you pretend it was somehow vegan leather, I thought the silhouette was cool.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:47 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I thought Daniel & Stanley's looks were boring. Also I thought Daniel acted odd, like when he saw Michelle...

I liked Michelle's stuff, esp, the biker pants and all the cool details! Steam punk but more tough!

Patricia - interesting but it needed to flow better.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:22 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I am a little grouchy knowing that the last EIGHT contestants all showed on the runway. I mean, I get how reality shows work, although it's a tiresome formula (I guess just letting everyone do all the challenges and judging them on the entire body of work would just not bring the dramaz).. but knowing that this "only the last 3 get to show at fashion week - sorry daniel, you can't!" stuff is just a bald-faced lie bothers me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

yeah i've always been confused about that bit... if they let 8 contestants actually show at bryant park, can't you just say all 8 are the winners and not just that final 3? i've never gotten that part. obvious for spoiler reasons, i assume that heidi does not say which of the 8 are the final 3, the ones the judges deemed "worthy" to show.

do the other 8 contestants get a giant budget too?

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:36 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

They never address it, but I'd assume that they all get the same budget. It would be pretty obvious if 3 or 4 of the designers had twice the money for materials as all the others - it would negate the whole "decoy" aspect. There haven't always been THIS many decoy collections, though. I wish the producers would allow a normal break between seasons, allowing them to time the final 3-5 with Fashion Week instead of just showing however many happen to be left.

The only difference this year from previous years is that this time the individual collections weren't identified (according to TLo, who were there). Every other year, the designers got to introduce their collections. I imagine they all got a chance to film a fake intro, which will be patched in on the final episode (along with a ton of applause during the shows, which TLo always says totally fake).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:38 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Also, I don't know that their budgets are "giant". In the earlier years, they definitely were (seems like I remember maybe $15-30K?), but they never tell how much they get anymore. If I remember correctly, at least one season the designers were only given $5K for their collections. They also used to get about 3 months and now only get maybe 6 weeks. It's no wonder the finale shows have gotten progressively worse!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:52 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

zelavie wrote:
They never address it, but I'd assume that they all get the same budget. It would be pretty obvious if 3 or 4 of the designers had twice the money for materials as all the others - it would negate the whole "decoy" aspect. There haven't always been THIS many decoy collections, though. I wish the producers would allow a normal break between seasons, allowing them to time the final 3-5 with Fashion Week instead of just showing however many happen to be left.

The only difference this year from previous years is that this time the individual collections weren't identified (according to TLo, who were there). Every other year, the designers got to introduce their collections. I imagine they all got a chance to film a fake intro, which will be patched in on the final episode (along with a ton of applause during the shows, which TLo always says totally fake).

who/what is TLo??
i don't even understand the concept of the decoy collections, what is the point of getting to the final 3 - 5 (and that's a whole other annoying thing, just pick 3 and don't do another elimination! remember when the season finale was just one episode?!) and then still having eliminated contestants show at bryant park?

a normal break would be great, because the true "winners" (or those the judges deemed worhty) would get to show and there would be no decoys.

and that is so weird that the designers can't even introduce their collections. that makes no sense at all. what's the point of getting to fashion week if you can't even identify yourself and your stuff?!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:29 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

zelavie wrote:
Also, I don't know that their budgets are "giant". In the earlier years, they definitely were (seems like I remember maybe $15-30K?), but they never tell how much they get anymore.

This season they had $10k, Heidi told them before they all went home to work on their collections.

I agree that they could change the production schedule so that less designers show at fashion week. Even so, because of the internet the pictures will always be leaked so maybe it's a good thing that they have the decoys. Plus it if you just watch the show and don't look for the collections ahead of time, it's not really a spoiler.

I wonder what kinds of opportunities the non-finalists get out of showing though. Is there something in their contract that says what they show is property of PR/Lifetime and can't be sold? I'm sure some of them do end up with job or design opportunities regardless.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:36 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

bookwormbethie wrote:
who/what is TLo??
i don't even understand the concept of the decoy collections, what is the point of getting to the final 3 - 5 (and that's a whole other annoying thing, just pick 3 and don't do another elimination! remember when the season finale was just one episode?!) and then still having eliminated contestants show at bryant park?

a normal break would be great, because the true "winners" (or those the judges deemed worhty) would get to show and there would be no decoys.

and that is so weird that the designers can't even introduce their collections. that makes no sense at all. what's the point of getting to fashion week if you can't even identify yourself and your stuff?!

TLo is Tom & Lorenzo (http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/). They're bloggers, and their blog began as Project Rungay back in season 3 or 4. They're pretty amazing, know all kinds of insider info, and go to the final show every season.

The reason for decoy collections is so that the show can be open to the public. If, say, Michelle, Patricia, and Stanley had been the only ones to show at Fashion Week, then everyone there would know that the other 5 got eliminated in the interim - and that info would be public knowledge within about 5 seconds. I get the purpose, I just wish they'd time it better so that showing could be an actual privilege for those final 3 or 4.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:42 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I came here only to say 'out loud' that I hate Nina Garcia. That is all.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:50 am 
Tofu Pup

I never disliked Nina in general, but her very obvious disdain for Patricia has been hard to handle in the last few episodes. Her disdain for Patricia's work has bordered on positively mean without any hint of being constructive.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:52 am 

I really miss Michael Kors.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:35 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

monochromaticgirl wrote:
I never disliked Nina in general, but her very obvious disdain for Patricia has been hard to handle in the last few episodes. Her disdain for Patricia's work has bordered on positively mean without any hint of being constructive.

I like Nina, but I have also found her disdain distasteful. It seems that once they decided that Patricia is "crafty" rather than "high fashion" they don't even pretend to have any respect for her, except for Heidi. I'm not necessarily crazy about Patricia's work and she would probably be better off if she found a perfect collaboration with someone who could run with her unique textiles. But, really, Gretchen, what the fizzle. After Gretchen, a lot of the things said about Patricia are in what the fizzle territory.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:22 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

lavawitch wrote:
monochromaticgirl wrote:

I like Nina, but I have also found her disdain distasteful. It seems that once they decided that Patricia is "crafty" rather than "high fashion" they don't even pretend to have any respect for her, except for Heidi. I'm not necessarily crazy about Patricia's work and she would probably be better off if she found a perfect collaboration with someone who could run with her unique textiles. But, really, Gretchen, what the fizzle. After Gretchen, a lot of the things said about Patricia are in what the fizzle territory.

Seriously. Patricia's work isn't anything I would wear personally, but I'm blown away by all of it. Out of these three, she's most apt to showcase a true Fashion Week-worthy collection (in the sense that it'll be more avant-garde, less off-the-rack style). I still don't think she's going to win the whole thing (her clothing would be tough to market in retail stores), but I think she has the right spirit for the competition, and it's frustrating to see the judges (except Heidi) dissing her every week.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:21 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

lavawitch wrote:
I'm not necessarily crazy about Patricia's work and she would probably be better off if she found a perfect collaboration with someone who could run with her unique textiles..

I think something like that would be an interesting way to go. Pairing artists with people that can make something that is fashion forward out of the unique textiles or ideas. Or if they did an all avant garde spinoff Patricia would be perfect for it.

I get the sense that Heidi just wanted her around because she makes the show a little less predictable though. Last week I'm pretty sure I heard Heidi say "how sad would it be for the people at home if they don't get to see her collection?" She's being treated as a curiosity.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:10 pm 

I love how much Michael Kors loved Patricia. I was so happy he came back for the finale!

I didn't really care for Michelle throughout the competition, but she definitely had the best collection.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:15 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I liked Patricia's collection because it was unique...Also the bloomers over tights is something I would wear and do wear!

Michelle's stuff was cool, I would have liked to see more. Anatomical bleeding heart - yes please! The styling made the sweater pop and when it was on the hanger I was like - no way!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:30 am 

Yeah on the hanger I wasn't feeling it. Tim even said don't show it, but the judges loved it.

I thought Patricia did a really good job too and I am glad her "weird" pieces like the head pieces were complimented.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:26 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

i did not care for Patricia in the beginning but she grew on me, i liked that she got to shine.

michelle has cool pieces - i liked them with more details going on but i tend to over accessorize so...

ohh - stanley's stuff was really boring, church lady like. i could see his mom wearing his stuff. there was no way to make some of the looks sexy or young...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:29 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

so glad michelle won, i've been rooting for her since the beginning. and let me just say that amanda is freakin' awesome. amanda and michelle work so well together and amanda genuinely seemed happy to be there, do whatever was needed, and be supportive, that says a million about her character. remember how joshua declined to help anthony ryan in the all stars finale? boo! amanda is awesome!

and yay for michael kors! he looked like such a rock star when he walked down the runway, and quite a bit giddy ;) very nice that he was the special judge for this finale.

i still don't get it when people ooh and aaah all over patricia's stuff, i'm not a fan but i'm glad others are. i did though very much like that dress that had the long red sleeves, that was pretty stunning.

stanley's show, wow, that was a disappointment, a snooze fest. i expected tons more from him.

i look forward to the reunion show. it looks like moustache man daniel still has a crazy grudge against michelle, can't he just let this go?!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:17 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

bookwormbethie wrote:

i look forward to the reunion show. it looks like moustache man daniel still has a crazy grudge against michelle, can't he just let this go?!

i get a creepy vibe from him.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:57 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

missmuffcake wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

i get a creepy vibe from him.

that's exactly how i feel about richard :( not a fan.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:31 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I don't know if he's creepy, but what makes someone apply to be on that show when they know so little about sewing??

I mean, I guess there was Anya and all, but she was a quicker learner.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:38 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

The reunion show was okay...I just wanted to tell Daniel to chill. I think his anger towards Michelle was just over the top...His happiness seems so forced.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 709 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 29  Next