| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm coming to Seattle!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:13 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I'm going to be in Seattle with Nick from May 9th - 14th, yay! I have questions!

Where's good for breakfast downtown? We'll be jet lagged and awake super early. We're staying right near Whole Foods / Pike's Place Market so there's Cinnamon Works and a crumpet place right? Anywhere to get a bagel with cream cheese?!

Is there somewhere Downtown or in the U District to get Mighty O donuts? I really want donuts but Mighty O looks kinda far away and we wont have a car until the last day.

What are the must do touristy things? Nick wants to go to the Museum of Flight and the Boeing Factory, we also want to check out the Space Needle and perhaps the Experience Music Project & the Japanese Gardens. We like to wander around and check out cool neighbourhoods, record stores, book shops etc. Where's good for that stuff?

Also is it true that you can get vegan food at the ballpark? We're kinda up for seeing a game but we'd be even more up for it if there's food involved!

Most importantly who wants to hang out? Where would be a good place for a brunch / lunch / dinner meet up the weekend of the 11th/12th? Plum Bistro? Pizza Pi? Wayward? Araya's? Bamboo Garden? Veggie Grill? Somewhere else?

I'll also be back again with RandiJM after VVC. Probably June 1st - 3rd, does anyone have a sofa / floor we can crash on or want to hang out with us then? We definitely want to hang with PPKers!

Post subject: Re: I'm coming to Seattle!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:39 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yay!

Bang Bang Cafe in Belltown has vegan breakfast/brunch options. Also, Cafe Fonté just up from the market has a vegan tofu scramble (but it's like the only vegan thing on their menu, I think). Blazing Bagels are vegan and so are the Seattle Bagel Bakery ones (barring obvious exceptions like cheese bagels or whatever). There might be a coffee shop near where you're staying with one of those, but probably not cream cheese. If you can get to an actual Blazing Bagels location, they have vegan toppings.

Downtown, Whole Foods usually has Mighty-O's in the bakery section - I don't think they're quite as fresh as if you get them from the shop, but they're still tasty. Some coffee shops might have them, too, but I don't know for sure. In the U-District, Wayward and Sidecar (sorry, "Vegan Haven") usually have trays of them. Again, maybe some coffee shops do too. Hopefully someone else knows!

Touristy stuff: hmmm. I would say take a ferry ride. It's a good, cheap way to see some really pretty views. The Bainbridge ferry is a 35-minute crossing and Winslow (downtown Bainbridge) is kind of fun to walk around if you're so inclined (full disclosure: I live on Bainbridge Island). The market is kind of neat to walk through, I guess. The art museum's nice.

Yes! There is vegan food at Safeco. I haven't been to a game in a while but there should be Field Roast hot dogs (including chili cheese dogs!) and some Asian dishes (noodles, I think there are steamed buns now?). Plus, there's a Blazing Bagels in the ballpark. I've heard the garlic fries are vegan, but I think they're gross so I never looked into it much.

Meetups! I'm up for whenever/wherever. Is there any particular place or type of food you especially want while you're here?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:30 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

If you have a meetup on the 11th for late lunch or dinner I might be able to come!! I'm planning on being in Seattle that weekend for Mother's Day!

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:39 pm 
Grandfathered In

I second the ferry for a good touristy outing. Pike Place is good for a stroll, but it can get crowded. Capitol Hill is good for strolling, too, and peeking into stores. As is the Ave (what everyone calls University Way) in the U District.

And don't forget the Highline, on Capitol Hill.

I'm up for a hang-out or meet-up.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:42 pm 

Oh, yeah. I forgot the 12th is Mother's Day. The 11th would probably be better for us, too, then.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:36 pm 
Dead by dawn

I think Pinko covered all your questions (except she's wrong about the garlic fries being gross!) The 5 Point in Belltown also has vegan breakfast stuff. It's a dive but the scramble's pretty good.

I have a guest room and a sofa and I like PPK guests! I should be around when you and RJM are here.

I have a long bike ride up north earlier on the 11th and Mother's Day plans on the 12th, but could do dinner on the 11th.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:24 am 

Awesome, thanks for all the info Pinko! It's good to know we can get donuts at WF or in the U-District and I'm excited that there's food at the stadium - monkeytoes I will take your opinion of the garlic fries on board - I can't imagine how garlic & fries could be bad?!

We'll definitely try to take a ferry ride too, that sounds fun!

I always forget Mother's Day is in May in the US (it's March here), it sounds like dinner on the 11th would be better for people. What about The Highline (Good call FF). The food looks epic and I'm pretty into the cocktail menu! I'm totally open to suggestions though, we'll probably have already eaten at Cyber Dogs and Veggie Grill by then because they're right near where we're staying but I'm also liking the look of Pizza Pi, Wayward (I could probably just eat there for every meal forever and be happy!), Bamboo Garden, Plum Bistro and maybe Wild Ginger or Araya's.

monkeytoes wrote:
I have a guest room and a sofa and I like PPK guests! I should be around when you and RJM are here.

Yaaay! This is awesome news! I'll PM you soonish!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:56 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Is Highline 21 and over only?

I would suggest going to Araya for lunch so you can partake in the lunch buffet. I haven't been to Wayward for dinner, but their breakfast is super great, so I bet dinner is also good! There is also Moonlight, which is my favorite place to go for dinner in Seattle. They have lots of vegan fake meats, and a separate vegetarian menu. But I'll go anywhere!

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:28 am 
Grandfathered In

And Moonlight is right by my house.

I think the Highline is 21+, yes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:42 am 

I've never heard of Moonlight & I can't find a menu online. I love mock meat though, how d'you think the food is for someone with a chilli allergy?

katiejayne it looks like breakfast and lunch are now served all day at Wayward!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:11 pm 
Grandfathered In

jojo wrote:
I've never heard of Moonlight & I can't find a menu online. I love mock meat though, how d'you think the food is for someone with a chilli allergy?

Here's the Moonlight Café menu. (It might not be entirely upt-to-date, but close enough.)

The yellow ones are the vegan ones.

It's not very chili-ish. I wouldn't imagine that'd be a problem. But that's easy for the person without the allergy to say, I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:30 pm 

FootFace wrote:
jojo wrote:

Here's the Moonlight Café menu. (It might not be entirely upt-to-date, but close enough.)

The yellow ones are the vegan ones.

It's not very chili-ish. I wouldn't imagine that'd be a problem. But that's easy for the person without the allergy to say, I guess.

Awesome! It looks amazing! We're definitely up for eating there, there are a tonne of options & it definitely doesn't look too chili-ish.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:57 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I think I'm the resident musician here in Seattle, so here's some more fun stuff:

For record stores, Silver Platters in Queen Anne (near downtown) is AMAZING. And in Ballard (a neighborhood), you have Sonic Boom and Bop Street. Also, Jive Time is in Fremont, which is a really fun neighborhood to wander in.
Since I live in Fremont, here's the lowdown:
Flying Apron (vegan...mostly... and gluten free bakery) is actually really tasty lately and has fantastic coffee. There's a vegetarian cafe that's pretty good- Silence Heart Nest.
Ophelia's books is quite nice, with a street level and basement area for books. Lots of stuff to browse. There's a cool vintage mall, with lots of old records, clothes, furniture, jewelry, etc.
Dusty Strings is the best instrument shop in Seattle (but I'm biased) and is in Fremont. It's an acoustic-folk shop, so even if you don't play, it's fun to browse.
There's also a really cool under-the-bridge troll statue that's kind of A Thing.
Mischief Distillery and the Fremont brewery are both in Fremont, as is Theo chocolate, which does tours and has some vegan chocolate. There are a number of nice bars and pubs in the area, as well as a few venues if you want to catch a show (White Rabbit, Nectar Lounge, and the High Dive).

As for Ballard (within walking distance of Fremont), it's got some cute boutique shops and tons of bars and restaurants. Po Dog has Field Roast, and jhanjay is a vegetarian Thai restaurant. Also, some nifty venues there, too (Tractor Tavern, Sunset Tavern, Conor Byrne...)

If the weather's supposed to be nice, wandering around Green Lake is fun. Not a ton to do there, but there's a good pizza place that serves vegan pizza, and the lake and park are really pretty...it's also very close to Mighty-O.

Also, if you guys want to catch a show and need a ride, PM me. Like I said, I work in an instrument shop and know lots of people in bands and such, and I know you're into music from your posts!

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:15 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Shoot, okay, and...

Venues in
Capitol Hill: Barboza, Neumo's, and the Comet Tavern are great.
Downtown: El Corazon, The Crocodile, ...I don't hang out much in downtown or Belltown, so I'm at a loss for around here.

Capitol Hill: so many amazing restaurants. Also, like others said, really fun to browse in some of the shops. There's a really cool used bookstore called Twice Sold Tales. Cats live in the store, and it's so fun to wander through. Babeland has a location in Capitol Hill if you're into female positive sex shops. There's a Stumptown location on Capitol Hill if you like coffee and Stumptown is my favorite. Bauhaus Books & Coffee is an institution, has good coffee, and a really nice view if you want to sit and catch your breath or read your emails. We have free Wi-Fi in basically every coffee shop. If you walk past and want one, Cupcake Royale usually has a vegan chocolate cupcake that isn't too bad. If you like arcade games (!), Capitol Hill has the Unicorn (upstairs) and the Narwhal (downstairs) with lots of them.

Fremont has an arcade bar, too, and it's cheaper- Addaball.

The sculpture park downtown is free if the weather is nice. Of course, walking along the waterfront is, too.

U District: If you like ice cream, there's a Full Tilt there- they have at least three or four vegan flavors every day. Honestly, I'm not the biggest fan of hanging around the U District, but the campus is super pretty and I guess walking along University Way is worth it for about ten minutes. It's mostly restaurants, banks, stuff students utilize.
However...right near Wayward/Pizza Pi/Pigs Peace is a theatre called Wing-It Productions. They do (typically) funny improv shows on Fridays and Saturdays.
I've heard tell the bars over there are only OK- lots of students, obviously, but it's cheap. The Neptune is a GORGEOUS venue, but more money than the others I mentioned.

I think I've exhausted everything I can think of. Again, any questions, please ask!

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:09 am 

Woah, missd! So much info! Thanks!

I am indeed into music & was hoping you'd stop by with some recommendations! I'll definitely try to check out some of the record stores you mentioned. I'll PM you if there are shows we're considering heading to and we'll definitely try to check out Freemont. It sounds like there are loads of cool things there. There's a gig on at High Dive on the 9th which sounds totally up our street (especially The Piniellas - we <3 The Ramones / Riverdales etc) but I think we might be way too jet lagged for a gig that night.

I can't believe there's an arcade bar called The Unicorn & The Narwhal! That's epic! I like the sound of Wing-It productions and I think RandiJM will too so I might leave that until the second part of the trip.

I'm also into female posi sex stores, ice cream and catching up with Instagram / e-mails in coffee shops... I can't wait to draw all of these places onto my maps!

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:48 pm 
Grandfathered In

Posi sex store: Toys in Babeland on Capitol Hill.

Ice cream: Full Tilt always has vegan flavors, and there's a shop in the U-District.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:41 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Hey hey!! Are we going to do a meetup on the 11th? I can't make it down there until dinner (I'm selling bicycle chain earrings at the farmer's market up here that day until 3pm). If you guys are interested I'd be down for dinner somewhere! I should be able to get there at 6 at the earliest.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:28 pm 
Grandfathered In

I hope so.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:24 pm 
Dead by dawn

I can do dinner.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:45 am 

We're definitely still up for dinner!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:11 am 

We're in, too. Where should we go?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:17 am 

I think we were leaning towards Moonlight?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:46 pm 
Grandfathered In

Just to keep it convenient for me!

(Beware: they often run out of brown rice. No, I don't know how this is possible either.)

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:19 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Yes Moonlight! It is my favorite!!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:25 pm 

Mmm, I love Moonlight too! What time do we think? Do we need a reservation?