| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegetable Literacy
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:22 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I hope it's ok to post a vegetarian cookbook. I saw Deborah Madison speak today and had lunch with her. I was able to try 7 of the recipes from her newest book, they were all amazing! So, basically she defines different vegetable families and tell you how to use different vegetables together. It is really interesting and there are some unique (and delicious) combinations, for instance orange, pistachio and leak. I haven't cooked from it yet, but I can't wait to try some of the recipes. I have not spent a lot of time looking through it yet, but most of the recipes look pretty simple and veganizable.

Post subject: Re: Vegetable Literacy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:52 am 
Saggy Butt

I was excited to see this book, and thought it would be the perfect thing for the CSA season even with having to make vegan adaptations, until I saw the anchovy dressing. :(

Aren't all her other books vegetarian? I expected this one would be, and was not pleased to find out it wasn't. I don't know what else might be in there, I stopped looking at that point.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:52 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

This book sounds interesting. I think I might buy it and see if it inspires me to eat more veggies. It's kind of sad that as a vegan, I don't always get my 4 servings a day. It definitely doesn't look like a vegetarian book though. The sample recipe on Amazon had chicken stock as a optional ingredient. I wonder if maybe Deborah Madison isn't a vegetarian. Her website says that she specializes in "seasonal vegetable recipes," but doesn't use the word vegetarian or say that she is. Plus, there's a recipe on her blog that calls for "butter or lard."

At any rate, I have no problem with buying non-veg cookbooks and then adapting the recipes to my needs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:47 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

No DM is not a vegetarian and never has been. But, she has written mostly vegetarian cookbooks. In fact, when I saw her speak at a book reading she was even slightly negative about vegetarians and quite negative about vegans. All the same, I have a lot of her books and I like them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:47 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

There are so many fabulous vegan cookbooks out there I can't buy them all, so I have no interest in supporting her further. But damn it, I like her idea of writing a cookbook based on vegetable families! I get frustrated when people (gardeners who should know better) say chard is in the cabbage family, when it's actually a relative of spinach and beets!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:33 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Oh, sorry guys! I just read yesterday that she wasn't vegetarian and saw the chicken stock listed as an ingredient. I really thought she and this cookbook were at least vegetarian!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:56 pm 
Chip Strong

My sweetheart just got me this and it looks beautiful. (I'll keep an eye out for rogue chicken stock!!!)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:04 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yeah, it says chicken stock or water. I was told a few years ago by a chef that stock is usually not worth it and to use water anyway. I almost always skip the stock unless it seems like it would be detrimental to not use it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:50 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Her "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone" was my first veg cookbook. I found it hard to follow when I was a new cook, and now that I'm more experienced, I find the recipes kind of bland and boring. It's odd that someone who has a negative attitude towards vegetarians would write a vegetarian cookbook though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:51 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Has anyone made anything from this yet? I got it for my mother for mother's day because she's definitely more open to non-vegan cookbooks (sad), but now I'm second-guessing myself.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:03 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

This braised fennel was absolutely outstanding! I served it with rosemary pasta and beans. We loved this so much I can't wait to go to the farmer's market tomorrow to get more fennel. Really really good.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:18 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Cool!!! Did you go hear her talk?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:11 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I went briefly but had to leave early because of Esme! It was very sweet to hear her talk about her garden and cooking from it. I aspire to cook more from my garden now!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:29 pm 
Chip Strong

pastabake wrote:
Has anyone made anything from this yet? I got it for my mother for mother's day because she's definitely more open to non-vegan cookbooks (sad), but now I'm second-guessing myself.

I made the saffron cauliflower pasta! And topped it with some of the Kite Hill Cheese White Alder, which was nice there.

It was a little bland for my taste, but maybe something as simple as crushed chili peppers would have made it.

WAIT, I just looked at the recipe and it did call for a teaspoon of crushed chili peppers, which I don't think I forgot, so...I don't know.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:43 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I've never had fennel, but that looks great! I actually just saw the "slightly adapted" recipe posted here a few days ago: http://www.greenkitchenstories.com/brai ... on-tomato/

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:39 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Yes I saw that too! It's been making the rounds on blogs and it looked too good not to try. I'm making it again this weekend! I think served over polenta would be amazing.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:08 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

This arrived! It's a pretty book.

I'm probably going to make a couple things out of it before I give it to my mother, shhh.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:43 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I bought this for my mum too! My mum loves cookbooks but she never knows what to do with veggies much beyond salads and roasted potatoes, so she is going to be stoked on it. She also just retired and started gardening and doesn't know what a rutabaga is. I think it looks really cool!