| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garden Chat
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:14 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

solarization. (but this also kills the worms.)

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/loa ... 75816.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soil_solarization

or you can put cardboard or a bunch of layers of newspaper and then new soil. by the time your plants root down into the lower soil, the basil will be smothered. (but also, if they keep coming back because they've reseeded themselves, this won't kill the seeds, and if you till in the future, they can come back)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:50 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Planted all my starter morning glories!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:54 pm 
Married to the wolfman

My snap peas are blossoming! The first edible thing of the year is going to be edible soon! (Well, technically, I could eat some of the lettuces or garlic now, but.)

Also, I have another mystery plant. Well... Three mystery plants. They're either cucumbers or melons... I decided to start some of whichever, then forgot what I'd planted. I started some more of each (and labeled them this time) and now I'm just waiting to see what those look like so I can compare.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:54 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Thanks super carrot. Maybe the newspaper idea would be good. The worm killing makes me sad.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:23 pm 

use a minimum of 3 layers of paper. and if it's a windy day, you can dip the paper in a bucket of water to keep them from flying away before you get the soil and mulch down. (it doesn't need to be a windy day, even.) it's much less frustrating if you separate the paper into the layers before wetting.

you can even use this method for making a new garden if you're converting a lawn. just cut it short and get to work. (oh, also, overlapping is good.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:28 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

coldandsleepy wrote:
Also, I have another mystery plant. Well... Three mystery plants. They're either cucumbers or melons... I decided to start some of whichever, then forgot what I'd planted. I started some more of each (and labeled them this time) and now I'm just waiting to see what those look like so I can compare.

From my admittedly limited experience growing one type of melon, I think the leaves may be fairly different? Cukes have dark green, thicker and somewhat prickly leaves from fine hairs. The melon I've grown has thinner, lighter green and more rounded leaves with softer hairs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:09 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

What's the best way of removing a cornus? I'm not adverse to attacking it with weedkiller, but there is a problem of the soil being questionable afterwards.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:33 am 

tree or shrub form? tree is easy. cut it at the base, drill holes and drip some of the roundup concentrate into the holes. (if you don't want to buy roundup, it might work with bleach. couldn't hurt to try) they both break down into pretty innocuous substances over time, bleach will essentially become table salt.) after a year, then you can use a stump dissolver.

if it's a shrub, as long as you remove the crown, you shouldn't have to remove the roots. without a crown, roots are generally unable to produce a new plant. some plants ignore that, obvi, but most die without a crown. (i googled, and it looks like Cornus sericea can sprout from roots, and even if burned lightly encourages the seeds to sprout. so if you have a flamethrower, you can cut it at the base, char the crown and then go around and burn the ground enough to boil the roots, then that should work.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:38 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Jill wrote:
From my admittedly limited experience growing one type of melon, I think the leaves may be fairly different? Cukes have dark green, thicker and somewhat prickly leaves from fine hairs. The melon I've grown has thinner, lighter green and more rounded leaves with softer hairs.

I think the leaves may be more easy to distinguish when the plants are bigger. The seedlings look almost identical (at least with this variety of cucumber and this variety of melon) initially. They're pretty generic-y looking two leaf little green things.

The mystery ones got big enough that I transplanted them, and now they've all developed third leaves, which are (I think) the first "true" leaves... so I should look again and see if they definitively look like either plant yet.

My definitely-cucumber seedlings just started to sprout today too, so I'll have those to compare to soon! (The definitely-melons haven't sprouted yet.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:45 pm 
Married to the wolfman

No, I just looked again and I'm still stumped. These are mine:

They're either "Noir des Carmes" melons or "Bushy" cucumbers, and I swear I've google images'd the hell out of them and at this size, I can't tell the difference between them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:53 pm 

oh, yeah, it's impossible to distinguish closely related plants by their cotyledons. (i didn't know people called cotyledons "leaves") but still, let this leaf grow larger and then try to figure it out. either way, you can grow them all next to a fence and then if it's a melon, you can support the fruits with old pantyhose slings.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:38 am 
Married to the wolfman

GARDEN DRAMA.

A friend gave me a bunch of green bean seeds in the fall. She labelled them with the variety. I looked it up before I planted and saw that they were a bush type and planted them in a spot and a manner that's good for bush beans. And then a couple days ago... one of them sprouted what looked suspiciously like a vine. I went out to have a good look at it this morning and it's climbing up the support for a nearby tomato plant. The other ones all have vines now too. FORK. These are pole beans!

(I looked it up and the variety she labelled it with, "Blue Lake", can be pole or bush!)

The only bamboo I had left were little pieces (like 3-4 feet tall) but I made a support out of them for now and maybe I can carefully extract them and put taller ones in when I have some.

The definitely-melons and definitely-cucumbers have all sprouted in their little cups now, and the ones in the ground are bigger... I think the ones in the ground are melons based on the first true leaves, because they're not fuzzy and all the pictures I'm seeing of first leaves on this type of cucumber, the leaves are at least a little fuzzy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:44 am 
Married to the wolfman

Oh, and, my younger son killed the ONE hot pepper plant I was successfully growing outside, but the bells & hots I started indoors a week or two ago have started sprouting so I've decided not to disown him for now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:34 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Coldandsleepy, we stick extra poles in all the time for pole beans, but they do need to be sturdy! If your space is limited and this isn't a good space for 8' beans, pull them out and replant. Seeds are cheap; space isn't. Or, you can probably transplant them someplace better, if available.

RE melons/cukes, yes cotyledons will look the same, you need a little more growth.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:10 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i planted yellow pole beans last year and can you believe, they turned out to be bush beans. i was so pissed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:23 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

This year I'm employing a 'ahhh fork it' manner of gardening and it's working really well! I scattered a bunch of spinach seeds in one spot, and some radish seeds in another, then dumped a wee bit of store-bought soil on top and some seaweed fertilizer I've had for ages. They're totally growing well and I have't done shiitake to them! I scattered a bunch of random flower seeds in another spot, too, those are sort of coming up but not as well, don't know why but the great thing about this new gardening technique is I haven't invested hardly any time or money into this so when things don't turn out I don't really care. Rather than years past where I would try really hard and still totally hit or miss results. It does help however that I planted so many perennials I got for free last year so it looks like my garden is way more fancy than I feel like it should be. All these nice beautiful plants I had forgotten about completely surprising me! (Lavender! Thyme! Blueberry! Hellebore! Frittelaria! Euphorbia! Geum! Peony!) Also I totally have a bunch of terra cotta pots on my patio that get a lot of sun and I'd put all the broken and sad succulents (fancy indoor varieties!) in them even though I thought they'd probably not over-winter (I mean they were free so who cares?) and I guess the combo of the terra cotta and the concrete patio they're on make it totally warm enough and they are all thriving and looking sexy as fork.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:31 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Awesome Mars!

I'm kind of similar in my approach. To me, it is all one big experiment, so it doesn't really matter if I succeed or fail... It's just fun to see what happens. This year I think I bought $20 worth of seeds, and planted free seeds other people gave me, etc and even if I don't get a ton of edibles out of it, I've gotten way more than $20 of amusement out of it.

Thanks for the advice on the green beans Jill. I've decided to leave them where they are for now and if it ends up being a huge problem I can always hack them down later.

Torque, it makes me a little happy to hear that an experienced gardener like you got tricked by beans too.

I'm going to plant something non-edible in my garden for the first time! We have an area of dirt that gets very little sun (maybe 2 hrs a day, probably less) and I've been puzzling over what to do with it. I've read that columbines can grow well in that kind of shade and that in warmer climates shade can actually be better for them. So I got some seeds and they're sitting in my fridge chilling (literally) for a month before I plant them out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:58 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Growing non-edibles is SEXY AS FORK! Yeah columbines!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:17 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I have not previously seen the point in growing anything I can't eat, buuuuut now I'm just kinda hooked on growing anything and I'm all out of sunny spots to put foodstuffs!

So I mentioned my peppers I started inside have sprouted, right? I had read that I should take them outside for a couple of hours each day to harden them off. So I've been doing that, and the weirdest thing is happening to them. The tips of the leaves look... burnt? On all four of them. Does that mean I've put them in the sun for too long or... something?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:10 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I didn't plan on gardening this summer since we're moving next month so I just ignored everything on my patio. Be damned if my kale survived the winter and is pretty huge now, the green onion ends I randomly put in some soil a few months ago are huge, the avocado pits I threw out there turned into 3 baby trees, and a bunch of my herbs came back to life after disappearing over winter. I guess I'm sucked back in! I planted some summer savory only to notice today it's an annual, which sucks. I like perennial herbs!

Anyone know how long kale will live? They only got big this year, so it'd be super cool if they could survive for a bit!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:37 am 
Seagull of the PPK

kale is a biennial where it's warm enough to be. it's usually grown as an annual in a place where it's too cold to overwinter.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:34 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I've got most of my plants potted! I bought 2 regular basil plants, purple basil (not doing well...), Thai basil, grapefruit mint, a strawberry plant, 2 tomatoes (1 heirloom, 1 meant for patio gardens), a habanero pepper, flat leaf parsley, oregano, thyme, rosemary, dill, a dahlia because it's pretty, aloe, and three silly looking succulents. My balcony looks so lovely!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:43 am 
Married to the wolfman

fork! I have been diligently checking my tomato plants for aphids since one of my plants had a problem with them last year. I came out to check today for the first time in about a week (long week, sigh) and two of my tomato plants have forking whiteflies on them. Not a ton, the one with more has maybe 10 flies per leaf and it's not every leaf... But still. They're adult which means I must have missed the eggs despite checking, right?

I'm not sure what to do now!

Also, something dug up one hill of my probably-melons. Really? Really. The other hill is doing well though.

My cilantro is going crazy. It's probably time to seed some more.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:56 pm 

spray them off with water and get yellow sticky cards.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:39 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I was at the market today and noticed they had passion fruit, so I bought a couple and am germinating the seeds. They were also sampling cherimoya, so I snuck out about 20 seeds with the intention of germinating those, too. I don't have a yard to grow anything in but I imagine the cherimoya will do fine with my four indoor citrus trees, mango, and pineapple. Whatever I can't fit in my apartment will either be surreptitiously planted around the neighborhood or rehomed.

If anyone in the Bay Area wants passion fruit or cherimoya seedlings, let me know!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 33  Next