| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Plum: Gratifying Vegan Dishes...by Makini Howell
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:23 pm 
Offline
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:25 am
Posts: 644
I was sick yesterday, or i would have reported this sooner, but this book looks really pretty. It's a hard cover. Vegnews was wondering if the "smoky mac" recipe was in there (and it was).

There are a lot of delicious recipes in there, but I actually ended up cancelling my pre-order. (partially because nothing SUPER grabbed me right away), but also because i'm trying to save some money.

but it looked lovely, and i think if my library gets it and i cook from it, I will get it again :)

_________________
A Vegan Julie/Julia Project: This Cycle: Great Gluten Free Vegan Eats! http://veganlydelicious.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plum: Gratifying Vegan Dishes...by Makini Howell
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:33 pm 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:42 pm
Posts: 2747
Ooh! I love Plum and Makini's food in general. I need to check this out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plum: Gratifying Vegan Dishes...by Makini Howell
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:08 pm 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:40 am
Posts: 537
Location: Seattle, WA
When you say "smoky mac", do you mean their Spicy Mac & Yease? That's their signature dish (has been for years) and the recipe most everyone has been wondering about.

_________________
Instagram
Fake Meat and True Love
Facebook


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plum: Gratifying Vegan Dishes...by Makini Howell
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:21 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:08 pm
Posts: 1148
Location: PDX
Here is a review by Grant Butler, "The Oregonian's" vegan columnist:
http://www.oregonlive.com/foodday/index ... _pour.html

_________________
Formerly Kaleicious. I still love kale, but no more than lots of other garden greens too! Orach is currently my favorite.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plum: Gratifying Vegan Dishes...by Makini Howell
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:47 pm 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 4665
Location: Portland, OR
I am so curious! I've had pretty (super) hit or (overpriced meh) miss meals at Plum since they opened. I'm expecting an advanced copy and will report back.

_________________
Instagram: @jdfunks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plum: Gratifying Vegan Dishes...by Makini Howell
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:05 pm 
Offline
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:25 am
Posts: 644
veganchubosaurus wrote:
When you say "smoky mac", do you mean their Spicy Mac & Yease? That's their signature dish (has been for years) and the recipe most everyone has been wondering about.

yes, that one. :)

_________________
A Vegan Julie/Julia Project: This Cycle: Great Gluten Free Vegan Eats! http://veganlydelicious.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plum: Gratifying Vegan Dishes...by Makini Howell
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:56 pm 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 4665
Location: Portland, OR
daisysunshine wrote:
veganchubosaurus wrote:
When you say "smoky mac", do you mean their Spicy Mac & Yease? That's their signature dish (has been for years) and the recipe most everyone has been wondering about.

yes, that one. :)


Just to clarify - it's not the Mac and Yeast in the book, it's a Smokey Mac (and is differentiated in the recipe description). I've been wavering on what to make first, and this recipe is up there, and I'm thinking it'll at least be similar...

_________________
Instagram: @jdfunks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plum: Gratifying Vegan Dishes...by Makini Howell
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:20 pm 
Offline
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 4922
Location: On The Road
jdfunks wrote:
I am so curious! I've had pretty (super) hit or (overpriced meh) miss meals at Plum since they opened. I'm expecting an advanced copy and will report back.


Just out of interest what have your hits & misses been? I'm planning to eat there in May & I'd like to try something awesome!

_________________
Blog || Twitter


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plum: Gratifying Vegan Dishes...by Makini Howell
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:15 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:26 pm
Posts: 1869
Location: santa cruz!
i ordered this book, on a whim, but I think I'm going to return it. It is super beautiful, but the very first ingredient in the very first recipe is "vegan cream cheese." Ugh, really? I'm totally not into processed crepe like that (no offense to folks who are), and I'm totally not into a supposedly fancy cookbook requiring me to go buy a tub of tofutti. Anyhow, nothing really caught my eye, and I've got enough books I love to keep me busy until I die.

_________________
Vegan Eats & Treats


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plum: Gratifying Vegan Dishes...by Makini Howell
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:35 am 
Offline
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:35 am
Posts: 77
ameyfm wrote:
i ordered this book, on a whim, but I think I'm going to return it. It is super beautiful, but the very first ingredient in the very first recipe is "vegan cream cheese." Ugh, really? I'm totally not into processed crepe like that (no offense to folks who are), and I'm totally not into a supposedly fancy cookbook requiring me to go buy a tub of tofutti. Anyhow, nothing really caught my eye, and I've got enough books I love to keep me busy until I die.

Thanks for the heads up, ameyfm. I almost purchased Plum as a pre-order but decided to hold off. After reading your post, I am glad I did. I suppose store bought vegan cream cheese and the like has its place, but it is definitely not what I would hope to see in a book such as this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plum: Gratifying Vegan Dishes...by Makini Howell
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:50 pm 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 4665
Location: Portland, OR
weaver wrote:
ameyfm wrote:
i ordered this book, on a whim, but I think I'm going to return it. It is super beautiful, but the very first ingredient in the very first recipe is "vegan cream cheese." Ugh, really? I'm totally not into processed crepe like that (no offense to folks who are), and I'm totally not into a supposedly fancy cookbook requiring me to go buy a tub of tofutti. Anyhow, nothing really caught my eye, and I've got enough books I love to keep me busy until I die.

Thanks for the heads up, ameyfm. I almost purchased Plum as a pre-order but decided to hold off. After reading your post, I am glad I did. I suppose store bought vegan cream cheese and the like has its place, but it is definitely not what I would hope to see in a book such as this.


Yeah, it's interesting. Most of the processed ingredients seem to be 'elevated', as with the ener-g (my biggest pet peeve in a cookbook) and cream cheese, to become something new, but I despise buying that stuff as a building block. I haven't figured out what to make first yet, and making the 'soy cream' or whatnot as a building block, but will report back when I do. That said, it is a gorgeous book.

_________________
Instagram: @jdfunks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plum: Gratifying Vegan Dishes...by Makini Howell
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:06 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:26 pm
Posts: 1869
Location: santa cruz!
Yeah, and the pizza recipe that called for a "store bought crust" Whhhaaaa??

I have to say, it is really gorgeous. If I had gotten it as a gift or as a review copy, I'd probably keep it, but as it is, I'd rather lose $4 on shipping and get the rest of my money back.

_________________
Vegan Eats & Treats


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plum: Gratifying Vegan Dishes...by Makini Howell
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:54 am 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:18 am
Posts: 2732
Location: England
This book is weird. I loved it the one time I ate there, so I want to love the book, but it's weird. I don't mind vegan cream cheese etc per se, but when I saw a recipe calling for a package of Jamaican spiced tofu, I thought it had lost the plot a bit. I have no idea what sort of tofu they are talking about most of the time.

_________________
http://cookingtheveganbooks.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plum: Gratifying Vegan Dishes...by Makini Howell
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:01 am 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:18 am
Posts: 2732
Location: England
Actually the more I read this the more it is annoying me. I might send it back too.

_________________
http://cookingtheveganbooks.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plum: Gratifying Vegan Dishes...by Makini Howell
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:19 am 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:12 pm
Posts: 3835
Location: Canberra, Australia
Bummer! I was going to order this one soon but it sounds like I'd be better off with something else. I can deal with store-bought cream cheese, and maybe even store-bought baked tofu (though it takes like one page and barely any thought to include a basic baked tofu recipe), but insisting on specific types of baked tofu that are probably going to make up most of the flavour of the dish doesn't seem worth it at all.

_________________
Recipes. Rants. Raunch.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plum: Gratifying Vegan Dishes...by Makini Howell
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:05 am 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:18 am
Posts: 2732
Location: England
All the Tofu recipes call for something I don't think I can get here, she calls it silken but then says it isn't. I wonder if it's just one of those books that don't work outside the US?

This is entirely a personal thing but she seems very keen in mixing fruit into savoury dishes, and I am not. That is of course absolutely not a criticism of the book but is another reason why I am finding it hard to find much I want to make.

_________________
http://cookingtheveganbooks.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plum: Gratifying Vegan Dishes...by Makini Howell
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:56 am 
Offline
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:25 am
Posts: 644
Efcliz wrote:
All the Tofu recipes call for something I don't think I can get here, she calls it silken but then says it isn't. I wonder if it's just one of those books that don't work outside the US?

This is entirely a personal thing but she seems very keen in mixing fruit into savoury dishes, and I am not. That is of course absolutely not a criticism of the book but is another reason why I am finding it hard to find much I want to make.



yeah, I think so.
the "silken tofu - but not silken tofu" threw me off too.

_________________
A Vegan Julie/Julia Project: This Cycle: Great Gluten Free Vegan Eats! http://veganlydelicious.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plum: Gratifying Vegan Dishes...by Makini Howell
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:31 pm 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 4665
Location: Portland, OR
Ditto for smoked tofu. I happen to make my own every now and then, which is a plus, but I would never buy it for a recipe.
With something like that (and it's in a few recipes), I'm torn between respecting the author's creative intent vs. being annoyed. I still haven't made anything, but will report back when I do.

_________________
Instagram: @jdfunks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plum: Gratifying Vegan Dishes...by Makini Howell
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:27 am 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:18 am
Posts: 2732
Location: England
I make smoked tofu pretty often, but I don't think it's even an option to buy it here anymore in most places.

_________________
http://cookingtheveganbooks.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plum: Gratifying Vegan Dishes...by Makini Howell
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:54 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:26 pm
Posts: 1869
Location: santa cruz!
daisysunshine wrote:
Efcliz wrote:
All the Tofu recipes call for something I don't think I can get here, she calls it silken but then says it isn't. I wonder if it's just one of those books that don't work outside the US?

This is entirely a personal thing but she seems very keen in mixing fruit into savoury dishes, and I am not. That is of course absolutely not a criticism of the book but is another reason why I am finding it hard to find much I want to make.



yeah, I think so.
the "silken tofu - but not silken tofu" threw me off too.


Yeah, I didnt understand that one at all! Silken not silken is not a variety that I'm familiar with!

_________________
Vegan Eats & Treats


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plum: Gratifying Vegan Dishes...by Makini Howell
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:23 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:45 pm
Posts: 462
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Just picked up a copy. Probably should have looked for this thread first, but I think I'll be fine with it.
The silken-not-silken-local-brand-tofu thing is weird, but I'm just going to use the firm silken I can find around here (Mori-Nu).

_________________
My username is silly, just call me Julie or whatever you think is best.
http://vasterthanempires.wordpress.com/
http://kale-igraphy.tumblr.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plum: Gratifying Vegan Dishes...by Makini Howell
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:15 pm 
Offline
Thinks Plants Have Feelings
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:58 am
Posts: 64
Has anyone made anything from this cookbook? I had a great sandwich at Plum a few weeks back and am curious about this book, but I read the comments above and know that sometimes restaurant cookbooks can have problems in scaling down the recipes. Anyway, if anyone has any comments about any food you've made from the cookbook, I'd be interested.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plum: Gratifying Vegan Dishes...by Makini Howell
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:35 pm 
Offline
Thinks Plants Have Feelings
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 1:58 pm
Posts: 60
This is one of the cookbooks I challenged myself to use this year, and I finally made enough recipes that I can keep it in good conscience.

Her tofu specifications drive me mad, but I've used water-packed firm tofu, pressed, for the basil soy ricotta, and it turned out fine. She calls for smoked tofu in the smoky mac, so I used some tempeh bacon I had on hand, and that was also fine. So while listing impossible-to-obtain ingredients is obnoxious, I've managed to cook my way through this book without them, with good results.

Good Ol' Fashioned Pancakes - these were a hit. I didn't make them gluten-free, but I otherwise followed her instructions to a T and had perfect results. Fluffy, golden pancakes studded with blueberries, amazing.

Peppered Agave Figs - I made these for a cheese plate and they were delicious, a nice sweet and savory bite.

Pesto Plum Pizza - Right up my alley. This is a great summertime pizza, as it's light and crisp.

Grilled Wild Mushroom Toasts - eh. They're fine, but I went through a lot of trouble making the different components (thyme vinaigrette, ricotta, sautéed mushrooms) for something that didn't taste that special in the end. If I want ricotta and mushrooms on toast, I can handle that without a recipe.

Linguini in Sauvignon Blanc Cream Sauce with King Trumpet Mushroom Scallops - This was the fanciest recipe I attempted from the book, and it came out great. I used dry linguini instead of homemade (not quite there yet in the kitchen), but I didn't miss anything. The sauce is really decadent and unique, I've never had anything like it before. The "scallops" were delicious, too. This is a great recipe to pull out for a special occasion.

Smoky Mac - Like most of you, I bought this book thinking I'd finally be able to make Plum Bistro's famed "mac & yease" in the comfort of my own home, far away from Seattle. I was disappointed when it wasn't there, but gave the smoky mac a chance. It's a delicious fancy variation of mac & cheese, with hints of garlic and thyme, but it is in no way related to the mac & yease I've had at the restaurant. I made half the recipe, since it calls for a buttload of daiya, and I wasn't about to take out a second mortgage to make it. Half the recipe was plenty and lasted me a few meals, as it's pretty heavy. As previously mentioned, I subbed the smoked tofu with tempeh bacon, and it got the job done.

Creamy Millet Corn Chowder - This is the healthiest dish I've made from the book, but rest assured, it's not the only one. I gravitate towards pastas and pancakes and pizza because I am only human, but Plum is chockfull of vegetable-centric recipes that I look forward to trying. This one took some finessing on my part, as she calls for reserving the millet cooking water, but expects it to be 6 cups. Mine was about 2.5. I added another 2.5 cups of plain water, worried I'd dilute it if I went for the full 6 cups, but it worked out fine. I accidentally added a whole 16oz bag of frozen corn, when she only calls for a cup, but it didn't hurt anything. More corn is almost always the answer. If I had a critique, it would be that I'd add more garlic and more cumin next time, but again...that might be because of all the extra corn I tossed in. I thought this recipe was great because it does taste creamy, without blending anything or adding non-dairy milk, and it's really filling.

All in all, mostly winners, though I'm not sure how many I'm itching to repeat just yet. I'll keep the cookbook around for now!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plum: Gratifying Vegan Dishes...by Makini Howell
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:31 pm 
Offline
Thinks Plants Have Feelings
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 1:58 pm
Posts: 60
Holy moly, the Fig Crepes with Ricotta, Arugula, and Agave Balsamic (pg 19) might be the best dish I've ever made. I used Kite Hill ricotta since I had it on hand, and used gluten-y all-purpose flour. I'm in heaven.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Plum: Gratifying Vegan Dishes...by Makini Howell
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:39 pm 
Offline
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:25 pm
Posts: 1671
Location: Los Angeles
femmefocale wrote:
Holy moly, the Fig Crepes with Ricotta, Arugula, and Agave Balsamic (pg 19) might be the best dish I've ever made. I used Kite Hill ricotta since I had it on hand, and used gluten-y all-purpose flour. I'm in heaven.


That sounds absolutely delicious! Can I come visit? (-;


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer