| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:36 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Rachwins wrote:
So I had mine fitted on Monday, and I haven't stopped bleeding since. It started as dotting, and now it's like I'm on a REALLY heavy period - I got through a tampax in two hours. Is this normal?

I'm not massively happy about mine. I was sold on getting the coil idea by 'lighter/no periods' and I wanted to come off the hormones from the pill. No-one mentionned there were two types, meaning it was no hormones or no periods, until my fitting appointment, by which time I felt it was too late to back out, and went for the non-hormonal one.

No-one mentionned about the crazy heavy periods until I came home and did some research afterwards, and I really don't want those, I used to have ridiculously heavy/painful periods and I can't face a return to that. I'm a little concerned that the two days of heavy bleeding I've had since the fitting are pointing towards it though. The uncontrollable crying that used to come with the heavy/painful periods has also come back, which also sucks as I came off the pill to make me a less mental, not more!

Rachel, I had mine fitted last Wednesday & it took until Sunday / Monday before I started feeling better. I was bleeding a lot for the first three days & I was a crying mess too! I also came off the pill to make me less mental & was feeling like the iud was making me much more mental but I'm definitely okay now. I think the crying could be a side effect of comimg off the hormones! I've had a tiny bit of spotting since I had sex on Monday but nothing like a real period. Whilst I'm oversharing the string's didn't seem to cause a problem during sex but I'm convinced my cervix was more sensitive than usual, maybe it's bruised from the insertion!?

Also they (the ladies at the sexual health clinic who seemed like they deal with IUD's all day every day!) specifically told me not to use tampons for at least 3 weeks so I don't know if that could be making the bleeding worse? I hate pads, they creep me out, but it could be better to try to use them than possibly making it worse?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:51 am 
Smuggling Raisins

This is true, I wasn't happy about using the tampon but I woke up this morning to find my knickers had turned into a scene from jaws and I didn't have anything else to hand!

I'm glad you went through the same thing, that's made me feel a lot better!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:10 pm 

Rachwins wrote:

I'm glad you went through the same thing, that's made me feel a lot better!

Yay! I'm glad!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:02 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

esme wrote:
sorry you're going through that rachwins, but in general, yes, the copper one will make you bleed more heavily and can give you worse cramps. the hormonal one will do the opposite.

if you've come off of hormonal bc, then of course you're going to have some of the mental stuff be messed up.

no offense, but if you didn't want to get the non-hormonal IUD, you should have backed out at the appointment. no one is going to yell at you for that. when i went to my insertion appointment, i noticed that they had the hormonal one out on the table so i asked and it turns out they ordered the wrong one (i have a copper one). there's no way i would have let them insert the mirena because i wanted nothing to do with hormonal bc. i would have been miserable for 5 years with the mirena and instead i spoke up and now i'm perfectly happy with the copper IUD for 10+ years.

It's going to sound creepy, but you're sorta my IUD idol. When people worry about heavy bleeding, I think of your posts on the old thread--I remember you had some issues and didn't know if you'd still kept it. Glad to hear it's going well after the initial bloodbath! (How long have you had it now?)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:53 pm 
protein lump

yeah... it was my first or second period after insertion that was REALLY heavy. i was soaking through super absorbency tampons in less than an hour and it was awful for a few days and then it stopped. i've had a couple annoying bleeding episodes since then. the last one was this past summer where i bled for, like, 3 weeks. it wasn't heavy or anything - just enough to be totally annoying.

i've had mine for... 3 1/2 years now?

i still totally love it even though it's caused some drama and i will absolutely be getting another one when it's time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:21 am 
Level 7 Vegan

My insertion story for those waiting to get theirs who want to hear 'em all:

I went in after taking 800mg of ibuprofen an hour beforehand only to have my appointment delayed an hour, so it had basically worn off. Whatever. Go in, have quick pelvic exam to determine status of uterus. That's fine and dandy, never had a problem with a pelvic exam. The first thing they left in my uterus was OK- it was uncomfortable, but it didn't hurt. Deep breathing made it tolerable. The measuring thing KILLED. I sucked in a huge breath and squeezed my eyes shut and the clinician had to demand I open them back up.
then the actual IUD insertion also hurt a bunch, but once it was out, I was OK. directly after, minor cramping. It wasn't until around four that afternoon (I got it put in at eleven) that it really started hurting, like the worst cramps of my life. I slept through the worst part. It hurt until mid afternoon today (got it in yesterday morning).

So, overall, not so bad. Honestly just annoying. Minimal bleeding, too. The clinician said it was a really easy insertion, though.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:44 pm 
Like Anal, But Backwards

The PPK has been a better source of sex ed than any lesson at school.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:57 am 
So Totally Yiffy

thisheregiraffe wrote:
Ok, I am really interested in getting one but I'm concerned about the pain. How badly does it hurt when first inserted?

I got mine put in soon after I gave birth, so I barely felt it. It felt like a short period cramp. As someone else said, if you've never had anything inside your cervix before, it will probably hurt pretty bad.

I've had my mirena in for 4 years now, and will probably get a new one in another year. I've had no problems, except randomness in my periods. Sometimes it will be 6 weeks before I have a period now, sometimes my periods will last 8 or 9 days. All of my periods are pretty light.

IUD's are awesome! I got the birth control shot once and spent 90% of the three months after crying or angry. High levels of hormones are not for me!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:40 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

I have had the copper IUD for 6 years. I am having it taken out next month. It has become too uncomfortable. My periods are heavier, cramps are worse, and I feel for more sensitive in my lady area (I can't even use tampons anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:34 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I just had my 2-month check up. It's actually been 10 weeks since insertion, because my/my doctor's schedules. The results of the follow up: Everything is awesome!

I already wrote a bit about my Paragard (the copper, non-hormonal IUD available in the US)at my one-month mark, but here's an update now that my little copper friend and I know each other a little better:

Periods: Before paragard, I used to have a 4-day period, not too heavy, one day of bad cramps. I've had 3 Paragard periods so far. The first two were 5 days, medium-to-heavy for all 5 days, and 3 days of cramping. (For only one of which is ibuprofen necessary.) This third period lasted 6 days but I was down to 2 days of cramps. It seems like my uterus is getting used to its new buddy.

Sex: It's so nice not to be paranoid about condoms slipping/breaking! When we had sex before the Paragard, there were usually 1-2 days a month when my cervix was lower than normal (and/or extra sensitive? It's totally related to the time of the month), so if it got bumped, it'd hurt a little. If that happens with the Paragard, the pain is more noticeable. No big deal, but I need to shift positions now when that happens, whereas it was more tolerable before.

Strings: My strings only curl around my cervix for about 2 weeks of the month. The rest of the time they just hang. They don't bother me or my boyfriend. We have sex about 6 times a week, and in 10 weeks my boyfriend has only felt the strings twice--each time about a week after my period, so again, I think it has to do with the time of the month/position of my cervix.

The only real difference I've noticed in my body, beyond the extra day of bleeding, is that I now get cramps when I ovulate. They're not bad, but it's so weird to know when I'm pushing out an egg!

I hope you guys don't mind the TMI (this is the ppk; of course you don't), but I know when I was considering my IUD I ate up every single story--positive or otherwise--and wanted nitty-gritty details. So, for the record, I really love my IUD, and so far, it's treating me right.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:43 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I'm getting the Mirena put in on Tuesday. I've read a bunch from the old boards about IUDs but never seriously considered it. Turns out my combo pill that I am/was on is probably what is screwing up my blood pressure and making it crazy high. The doctor said this was the next best option for me... I'm a wuss for pain, so I hope it goes ok. And now the whole strings poking my bf is making me nervous!

I'm lucky though, because my student insurance covers it 100%.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:37 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

thisheregiraffe wrote:
Ok, I am really interested in getting one but I'm concerned about the pain. How badly does it hurt when first inserted?

Someday I'm going to dig up my old post from the other PPK and paste it here- but the bottom line is, everyone experiences different levels of pain because everyone's body is different. Don't let other peoples' stories of horrible insertions deter you (not saying it's going to deter you)! I, personally, experienced zero pain. No pain. At all. The 600mg of ibuprofen taken beforehand probably helped a lot, but just remember, it's entirely possible that you will have little to no pain, too.

(I didn't mean to rant directly at you, this is sort of a general reminder)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:09 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

vegetalion wrote:
Everything is awesome!
So, for the record, I really love my IUD, and so far, it's treating me right.

I am getting a Paragard this Friday, I am really excited and hope it goes as well for me as it did for you!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:02 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Nicole wrote:
vegetalion wrote:
Everything is awesome!

I am getting a Paragard this Friday, I am really excited and hope it goes as well for me as it did for you!

I hope so too! Let us know how it goes. If you can, take Ibuprofen beforehand, and try to stay away from reading too many IUD stories on the internet between now and then (I found they made me reallly nervous).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:50 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

vegetalion wrote:
Nicole wrote:
vegetalion wrote:
Everything is awesome!

I hope so too! Let us know how it goes. If you can, take Ibuprofen beforehand, and try to stay away from reading too many IUD stories on the internet between now and then (I found they made me reallly nervous).

I had my consultation last night and all of the pain information is really freaking me out. :( Like to the point where I don't want to get it now.

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:13 pm 

Don't let the pain deter you! I got mine put in this afternoon. It wasn't as bad as I thought. Maybe because I have an 'amazingly cooperative cervix' as the lady who did it put it. Right now, I'm in bed because it feels like really horrid period cramping. Not fun, not going to lie, but I'm sure it could be worse.

On the other hand, I have an amazing boyfriend who walked me home from the campus health center, made me a hot pad from a towel, washed my dishes and put tea, water, and a brownie next to my bed. What a winner.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:54 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

simplybecause81 wrote:
On the other hand, I have an amazing boyfriend who walked me home from the campus health center, made me a hot pad from a towel, washed my dishes and put tea, water, and a brownie next to my bed. What a winner.

Jealous!

I've had Mirena for a year - everything is great. No period. I will say I thought I had a high pain tolerance but this was tough. I've never given birth though. I'm curious, is removing it painful?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:03 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

My insertion was so awful (mirena, 6wk after giving birth) that I will not go to a doctor that doesn't give some sort of injection ending with "cane" when I do get mine out. I've been thinking about removing it and going on the pill (for various reasons) but I think I'll just take the pill, too. But really, THE PAIN WAS WORTH IT. I now have regular, mini periods which are the best ever, I don't get pregnant and the strings do not bother my penis-ed partner. I think the IUD is a great step for many women looking for something safe and easy. For all of the pregnancy worries I had while on the pill/condoms, the pain of the IUD insertion was nothing. Plus, if I want "teh babby" again, pop!, I'm fertile in minutes after removal. I think the IUD is wonderful. It also satisfies my urge to carry something in my womb.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:21 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Poor Sra. Nooch! I'd heard that insertions soon after giving birth were easier--I'm sorry that wasn't the case for you!

It's so weird how different bodies react so absurdly different to the same stimuli. I think if I'd had an injection, the injection would've been the most painful/longest-lasting part of the ordeal! My insertion was only a total of 10 -15 seconds of pain (broken up between the sounding and the insertion), and the cramps afterwards weren't any different from period cramps.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:41 pm 

Sooo had it put in Tues, and now it is Fri. Wed was ok in terms of cramping, and Thurs not too bad. Today I only took 200mg ibuprofen in the morning and that is it. Only some random cramping but nothing major. Hardly any spotting. Finally just felt for my strings and man that was weird... I'm excited to not have to take a pill everyday. Hopefully all goes well for the next 3 months and it stays in/in the right spot. I'm secretly afraid every time that I poo that it'll expel or something.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:23 pm 
Chard Martyr

Had anyone been on Depo before switching over to an IUD?
I was on Depo for 4 years, loved not having a period, but hated the weight gain. Have been birth-control free for two years now and exploring my options... not really troubled by pain, so that's not scaring me off.

Point is: haven't been on hormones for two years, and I don't really care, but don't exactly want the weight gain factor. Do want the less frequent (if possible) period factor. Never even thought about an IUD. Was initially on Depo because I'm awful about taking a pill every day.

Comments/helpful suggestions? Oh, also, I'm uninsured.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:42 am 

If you are uninsured, the IUD (depending on which one you get) may have a hefty price tag. I know mine was around $800 (plus there was an insertion fee), but insurance covered the whole cost.

I did discover today that after a bit of feisty time last night, the slight cramping feelings have returned a bit. Ah well, must be since it was soon after insertion, and it is still settling or something...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:58 am 

simplybecause81 wrote:

I did discover today that after a bit of feisty time last night, the slight cramping feelings have returned a bit. Ah well, must be since it was soon after insertion, and it is still settling or something...

That happened to me too, I've had it a month now & it's stopped happening!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:00 pm 

Double post!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:18 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Mine failed me and I got pregnant when I was anything but ready to have a child. Now I am afraid of all birth control because I chose the copper iud w/o hormones...I am too scared to try hormones.

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 29  Next