| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1543 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 62  Next
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:25 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Yes that might help. The stuff I make is much less sweet so works well for cheese. Wildwood plain has worked ok but I found Wholesoy to be a little on the sweet side.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I rinsed and started my feta today after a week of miso-ing. So tangy and fascinating so far!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:37 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

emmalv wrote:
Yes that might help. The stuff I make is much less sweet so works well for cheese. Wildwood plain has worked ok but I found Wholesoy to be a little on the sweet side.

Where I live I don't have many choices for plain yogurt (flavored yogurts are more varied). I used Yoso, which I dislike but is the only brand I came across. But I heard there was good coconut yogurt at Loblaws so I should investigate.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:06 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Minatomachi wrote:
emmalv wrote:

Where I live I don't have many choices for plain yogurt (flavored yogurts are more varied). I used Yoso, which I dislike but is the only brand I came across. But I heard there was good coconut yogurt at Loblaws so I should investigate.

I recently found that Yoso has a coconut yoghurt but have not been able to find it at Loblaws. The chocolate and vanilla flavours are VERY sweet but the unsweetened has less sugar than the so delicious brand coconut yoghurt, but it has a very pronounced coconut flavour, more so than so delicious. I used it in the cream cheese and although it uses just a bit of it to culture I could still taste it. Try it though if you can find it, it is very delicious and the texture and fat content remind me of dairy yoghurt.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:39 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

lululuv wrote:
dear VeganVamp (or anyone who's listening),

could you post the link to the youtube video of Miyoko making the cream cheese? i have the first printing of the book, which does not include the yogurt and i really want to try culturing/thickening it!

Thank you!

Hi! Someone else posted these links, thankfully - and it was nice to see it "live"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOUiYPhU ... ag&index=3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:07 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I'm guessing that people are struggling with the cream cheese due to the ambient temperature. Yogurt cultures like warmer environments than rejuvelac. So if it's only 60 degrees outside, your cream cheese will probably go bad before it cultures and thickens. If made properly, it will be very thick, like the stuff they sell (the dairy stuff). Find the warmest place in your house, or a low oven or dehydrator between 100 to 110 degrees. Summer is a great time to make cream cheese. It does not need anything else to be made thick. I guarantee it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:15 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

miyokoschinner wrote:
I'm guessing that people are struggling with the cream cheese due to the ambient temperature. Yogurt cultures like warmer environments than rejuvelac. So if it's only 60 degrees outside, your cream cheese will probably go bad before it cultures and thickens. If made properly, it will be very thick, like the stuff they sell (the dairy stuff). Find the warmest place in your house, or a low oven or dehydrator between 100 to 110 degrees. Summer is a great time to make cream cheese. It does not need anything else to be made thick. I guarantee it.

Great, thanks! It never occurred to me to try the dehydrator for cream cheese; it did work well when I experimented with some of the airdried cheeses. And good to know about yogurt culture versus rejuvelac, I'll keep that in mind.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:42 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Minatomachi wrote:
emmalv wrote:

Yoso is gross... I like Nancy's or So D.

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:52 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Just wanted to post that I've been on the fence about buying this book, mainly due to environment (it's tough for me to find a safe spot to air-dry anything due to cats and the occasional disgusting bug) but I went ahead and made the brie recipe that's available online and WOW. I'm not sure it's exactly like brie, but it's tangy and creamy and delicious and a huge bonus is that my kid is in love with it...it is absolutely awesome to be able to get her hooked on something that isn't Daiya because hey, I like Daiya, but it's like a non-food. I'll have to see about diving into the world of rejuvalec next!
and for the record, I used WholeSoy Plain Unsweetened which I don't see very often, as opposed to just the Plain.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:54 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I also thought my cheeses tasted quite similar. I made the gruyere, and thought it tasted a lot like gruyere. Then i made the cheddar, and it tasted very similar to the gruyere. Don't get me wrong, they were both delicious, but i definitely did not get a cheddary taste.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:06 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't know how "cheddary" the cheddar really was, but I thought it tasted pretty different from the gruyere.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:17 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

VeganVamp wrote:
While I don't want to put that "cream cheese" I made on any bagel and eat it straight, I did add some to a cashew/miso/noochy cream mixture I was using to replace sour cream/jack cheese in an ortega rice recipe. I'd made the recipe over the holidays with just the cashew/miso/nooch sauce, and it was yummy - but adding just a few tbsp of the cream cheese really gave the sauce a cheesy taste - and both my mom and bro (ardent ortega rice fans) said they couldn't tell the difference between this and the omni version (which uses 1# or more of jack and a few cups of sour cream...!). So I'll call it a victory.

Quoting myself to say that - after someone's great recommendation about a cream cheese-based dessert - I mixed my cashew cream cheese into a frosting for the VWAV Carrot-Macadamia-Coconut Cake. I was missing most of the ingredients recommended for the frosting in AVC, so I improvised with softened EB shortening, agave, a few splashes of soy milk, vanilla, and enough organic powdered sugar to offset the super tang of the cream cheese. And is it DELECTABLE! Nice and fluffy from a beat-down in the KitchenAid. It's pretty much the perfect carrot cake in existence. Company-worthy, for sure! And how impressive to say it's made with your own homemade vegan cream cheese!

I'll definitely try the cream cheese again, to see if I can get the right consistency and tang at the same time for some bagel enjoyment - but it's reassuring to know this cream cheese frosting can be a fabulous back-up plan if the straight cream cheese isn't just right.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:21 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Kappa carageenan and agar powder arrived today! I am now in business. Soaking cashews to make yogurt, which I had not realized was the primary ingredient in the meltables (duh), and also some cheddar.

Still enjoying my cream cheese frosting on my VWAV carrot cake - so good.

Q for anyone: the medium brown miso I purchased specifically for this book, and used it in the soft gruyere (which I subsequently mixed with carageenan today, and have it molding to make hard gruyere). The cheese is pretty darn brown - darker than the picture in the book, and that miso has a really strong taste. Since becoming vegan, my favorite miso has been the yellow/white mild miso, which is used is so many noochy cheese sauces (i.e., cashew queso on the ppk blog = my savior), and which I happen to adore.

Has anyone used the lighter miso in any of the AVC recipes? I'm thinking about it, just because I'm not crazy about the brown that I have (maybe it's simply a brand-specific preference?).

Happy cheese-making! My family already thinks I'm nuts, but wait till they see a jar of culturing yogurt out in the sun tomorrow...

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:11 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

VeganVamp wrote:
the medium brown miso I purchased specifically for this book, and used it in the soft gruyere (which I subsequently mixed with carageenan today, and have it molding to make hard gruyere). The cheese is pretty darn brown - darker than the picture in the book, and that miso has a really strong taste. Since becoming vegan, my favorite miso has been the yellow/white mild miso, which is used is so many noochy cheese sauces (i.e., cashew queso on the ppk blog = my savior), and which I happen to adore.

Has anyone used the lighter miso in any of the AVC recipes? I'm thinking about it, just because I'm not crazy about the brown that I have (maybe it's simply a brand-specific preference?).

So I had some of my chilled hard gruyere today. I was so worried about not overcooking it, that the moment it began pulling away from the sides, I took it off the heat and into the mold. I think it was too soon, however, because it wasn't particularly glossy/shiny - and while it's sliceable today, it's also mashable without a real "bite" (texture-wise).

Still, I sliced it onto warming corn tortillas to make mini quesadillas for dinner, and served them with So Good/So Green Sauce from VV. Yummy and toothsome and satisfying! Didn't get the stretchy melt, of course, but the cheese did meld together somewhat, and the taste was really good! NOTHING like that sour/bitter aftertaste and overall displeasure I've had with every commercially-available vegan cheese (Daiya, etc). Still picking up that strong brown miso note, however...

Work was insane, so no yogurt or cheddar today <sigh>. But cashews are soaked and ready when my schedule finally is.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:12 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

VeganVamp wrote:
Kappa carageenan and agar powder arrived today! I am now in business. Soaking cashews to make yogurt, which I had not realized was the primary ingredient in the meltables (duh), and also some cheddar.

Still enjoying my cream cheese frosting on my VWAV carrot cake - so good.

Q for anyone: the medium brown miso I purchased specifically for this book, and used it in the soft gruyere (which I subsequently mixed with carageenan today, and have it molding to make hard gruyere). The cheese is pretty darn brown - darker than the picture in the book, and that miso has a really strong taste. Since becoming vegan, my favorite miso has been the yellow/white mild miso, which is used is so many noochy cheese sauces (i.e., cashew queso on the ppk blog = my savior), and which I happen to adore.

I went back and forth with my editor about what to call the miso. In Japan, it's pretty straightforward, but here, every maker calls it by whatever creative name they come up with. So I thought to make it easy, that I would specify it by the color - medium brown, not too light, not too dark. But perhaps one person's medium brown is another's dark brown. It's better to err on the side of light than dark, so if your "medium brown" miso isn't working for you, use the yellow/white one.

Happy cheese-making! My family already thinks I'm nuts, but wait till they see a jar of culturing yogurt out in the sun tomorrow...

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:57 am 
Tofu Pup

I'm hoping that someone can answer my question. I'm a recovering alcoholic and am very careful with what I eat. For instance, I'll only use non-alcoholic vanilla extract, and I will not eat anything that's cooked with alcohol (it's not entirely cooked out, regardless of what you may have read). It sounds like rejuvelac contains trace amounts of alcohol. Is there any substitute for rejuvelac that I can use that's 100% alcohol-free?

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:03 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

miyokoschinner wrote:
I went back and forth with my editor about what to call the miso. In Japan, it's pretty straightforward, but here, every maker calls it by whatever creative name they come up with. So I thought to make it easy, that I would specify it by the color - medium brown, not too light, not too dark. But perhaps one person's medium brown is another's dark brown. It's better to err on the side of light than dark, so if your "medium brown" miso isn't working for you, use the yellow/white one.

Fabulous. The one I have is actually called "Mild Brown Miso" - but I wouldn't call it mild...! The yellow/white, on the other hand, is perfectly pungent and flat-out addictive. I'm excited to try another AVC recipe using it, now that I have the official go-ahead. =)

Thank you for the reply, Miyoko! I enjoy watching your videos - you are awesome at what you do, and so personable/accessible/down-to-earth. And what a treat that you are so generously replying to and reassuring we cheese makers-in-training here on this thread.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:45 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

stevesfe wrote:
I'm hoping that someone can answer my question. I'm a recovering alcoholic and am very careful with what I eat. For instance, I'll only use non-alcoholic vanilla extract, and I will not eat anything that's cooked with alcohol (it's not entirely cooked out, regardless of what you may have read). It sounds like rejuvelac contains trace amounts of alcohol. Is there any substitute for rejuvelac that I can use that's 100% alcohol-free?

Rejuvelac shouldn't have any alcohol. If you were to add a little sugar and let it ferment longer, you might get some, but rejuvelac doesn't have any, as far as I know. Here's Wikipedia on the issue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rejuvelac

There are also cheeses that use yogurt as the starter, although the cultures in it are different, yielding a different flavor.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:38 pm 
Tofu Pup

First post!

So far, I've made the following, with varying degrees of success: rejuvelac, basic cashew cheese, brie (book recipe), yogurt, mozzarella (blog recipe). I don't have a blender yet, so this was all using a food processor.

I have a ton of questions, but I'll limit myself to a few here --

Brie (book recipe): I liked the result, and my girlfriend ate almost the whole thing which I take as an endorsement. However neither the taste nor texture were similar to dairy brie. The taste was pleasant and mildly cheesy, but without specifically brie-like flavors.

The texture was much more firm than dairy brie. Dairy brie is a little runny at room temperature. The cashew brie was almost sliceable, even after sitting at room temperature for an hour -- you could cut intact slices with a knife, although they would spread somewhat when transferring it onto a cracker. I'm assuming this is because the refined coconut oil is solid at room temperature. Did other people's brie turn out this way? Or is this a result of using a food processor instead of a blender?

(I'll note that in the food processor, before refrigeration, the texture looked spot on. Maybe I just have to heat it before serving?)

Yogurt: My yogurt developed a strong aftertaste. I'm still not sure what this was about. I bought a thermometer so I'm fairly certain that the temperature was correct during culturing. The yogurt smelled *amazing*, and set reasonably well, but the taste did not match the smell unfortunately. Has anyone run into this? Because of this, the mozzarella (blog recipe) I made from it had the same aftertaste.

One question I had about the yogurt is: how do you cover it during the culturing phase? I closed the mason jar I cultured the yogurt in, which seals it pretty well.

Thanks everyone for all your tips on this thread!

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:04 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thanks so much Miyoko! Now that I know rejuvelac is "safe" for me, I'm going online and purchasing your book. Can't wait!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:18 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Great balls of meltable mozz!

A few hurdles and worries, but I persisted and ended up with this glorious, gooey, salty, delicious mozzarella which I cannot WAIT to use on pizza with homemade crust tonite!

I can't believe how easy the cooking/whisking part was. The trickiest part of the process was making the yogurt, because I'm in a cool climate, and had to put my jar into a large thermos to help retain heat (my oven won't go below 170º). The yogurt did appear to separate just a bit - however, I pushed on with my blending and then culturing overnight, and the texture appears just PERFECT today. The remnants from the pan were AMAZING - just like the "real thing" (dairy mozz), and the only persuasion I needed to NEVER EVER buy fake cheese again.

Vegan cheese without any nooch involved?! It's a reality! Miyoko for the Nobel prize! What a revolutionary. ♥

Trying to add my pic, but don't think I have it down right...

[pix]http://instagram.com/p/Z3Qni0i_KN/[/pix]

ETA: --->blah, still not doing the pix link right, ACK!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:35 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

edp wrote:
Yogurt: My yogurt developed a strong aftertaste. I'm still not sure what this was about. I bought a thermometer so I'm fairly certain that the temperature was correct during culturing. The yogurt smelled *amazing*, and set reasonably well, but the taste did not match the smell unfortunately. Has anyone run into this? Because of this, the mozzarella (blog recipe) I made from it had the same aftertaste.

One question I had about the yogurt is: how do you cover it during the culturing phase? I closed the mason jar I cultured the yogurt in, which seals it pretty well.

Hi! For culturing, I did close my yogurt jar with a piece of foil under a screw-top lid (just to protect the yogurt from anything lingering in the lid/metal), and then put the entire thing into a large thermos padded with some towels. Took about 8 hours - still wasn't very tangy, but a really nice smooth taste/texture. The next morning, I had some liquid that separated at the bottom of the jar, but I was able to make meltable mozz this morning with it, yahoo!

I didn't notice an aftertaste to the yogurt OR the cheese (although I haven't had a real serving of the cheese yet, just tastes as I was scooping). Maybe it's the brand of yogurt that was your starter mixed with the type of non-dairy milk that made for a certain taste when combined...? I used Coconut Bliss plain yogurt as my starter, and Earth Balance unsweetened soy milk.

Thanx for sharing your stories!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:01 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

the tag is [IMG] not [PIX]

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:13 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

supercarrot wrote:
the tag is [IMG] not [PIX]

And then paste the link between the two tags? I tried and am getting an error.

I'm sure there is a thread with instrux on this - I shall search! Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:38 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

the link has to end with whatever format the photo is (whether it's .jpg or .gif etc.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1543 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 62  Next