| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Juicer Recs?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:17 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I'm sure this was also posted on the old boards...

Whats a good juicer? I'm looking to spend no more than $350ish, so I don't want commercial quality, but something that will stand up to everyday use. Not interested in a Vitamix.

Post subject: Re: Juicer Recs?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:09 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Breville makes very sturdy, high-quality juicers. They also come in a variety of price ranges. I have the $250-ish one and I couldn't live without it now. Everyday use doesn't phase it. It's annoying to clean but that's true for any juicer.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:52 pm 
Tofu Pup

I have both a Breville and a Champion. I bought the Breville because it's faster and you don't have to chop up your fruits into small bits. That said, it doesn't juice greens very well. You'll see whole leaves in the bin after juicing...even when you wad up the greens and turn the thing to low. The Champion is slower and you have to cut up your apples and lemons, but it gets every bit of juice out of those fruits and veggies including greens, plus you can run the pulp through again and again, extracting everything. The Champion also makes nut butters and frozen fruit sorbets and has attachments. I bought the grain grinder and it totally rocks (works wayyy better than a vitamix for making flour).
Anyhow. I would get a Champion. They cost about the same as a Breville.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:03 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My model of Breville pulverizes the heck out of greens and gets all the juice out. I actually only use it for greens and the occasional lemon or apple as I'm not that into fruit juices and I've never had any whole leaves come back. Different models will produce varying results within the same brand. It's all a crapshoot, really.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:21 am 
Saggy Butt

corinajean wrote:
Anyhow. I would get a Champion.

Yeah. I know nothing about juicers, but my dad has a Champion that he bought over 20 years ago and we use it to make nut butter all the time. It's so great.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:49 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

I have the Omega Vert and love it so, so much. I'm happy to answer questions rather than wax rhapsodic over this, my favorite machine. (A major deciding factor was its single auger, which was recommended to me by the Raw Food World's Angela.)

Here is an ungainly link: http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... D4Q8wIwAg#

Mine was a gift, so I don't know the purchasing details.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:59 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Bumping because apparently it is 50% off today.
http://www.omegajuicers.com/gma

ridiculous deal if you've been looking for one....

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:18 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I just got a Breville and I LOVES IT!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:40 pm 
Nailed to the V

I had a champion for years and loved it....was a quality product that worked great!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 am 
Saggy Butt

I have the Omega 8006 and I love it! I started with a Breville but it didn't handle greens very well, and left a lot of wet pulp, even when I put it back through again. I get a lot more juice out of the Omega, and it has no problem juicing lots of greens. Highly recommended.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:25 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I also have the Omega 8006 and I love it. I started w/my moms juiceman jr and it was fine but as its a centrifugal juicer it didn't do greens so well and apparently the heat caused by the grater thing causes the enzymes to die faster/oxidize faster.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:25 am 
Naked Under Apron

Bumping this because I want to buy a juicer this weekend! I think I've decided to just get the Breville Juice Fountain Plus. It's relatively inexpensive, and was the top pick from Cook's Illustrated (and they said the juice tasted fresher than from a masticating juicer). Also a couple friends have it and love it.

I am worried about the leafy greens though. The kinds of juices I most want to make are the green ones- with kale/spinach, apples, cukes, lemon, and ginger. Does anyone have experience with this particular model and greens? So far in this thread we have one yay and two nays for Brevilles and leafy greens, and online reviewers seem divided as well.

Breville does have a new model- the Crush- that is similar to the Omega Vert and the Hurom Slow Juicer, but that is significantly more expensive. (http://www.brevilleusa.com/beverages/ju ... crush.html) Do the differences really matter? Do greens just not juice that well anyway?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:13 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

greens juice really well in a macerating juicer, not a spinning juicer. the breville looks like a spinny. I have one of each, and used to get frustrated with it. if you're going to juice greens and something juicy together (kale and cukes, for example) you could probably do the leafy together with the cuke, but greens alone you will get almost no juice.

i was amazed, once i got the omega, to see how much actually comes out of greens. for some things (grapes, apples) i prefer the centrifuge juicer, but the macerating one is really amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:44 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Hmm, seems like they all have their pros and cons, which makes it tough to choose! I'm going to buy from Bed, Bath, & Beyond, and they will take anything back, so I can exchange it if I'm unhappy.

I like that the slow juicers are supposed to be able to do it all, and be nice and quiet too. Whether or not they really work that well, I don't know. Plus they're so pricey!

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:48 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Anyone have experience with the Breville JE98XL?

Can't spend more than $150 and want to be able to juice all kinds of fruits and vegetables, including greens. Would really appreciate any recommendations.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:36 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I recently got a Champion and think that it doesn't do greens very well. It's funny how you get so many different opinions for the same product. If I do greens I add them together with something else, it seems to do better that way. But nut butters, love it. And banana "ice cream"...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:37 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Any updates on juicers? I'm looking at an Omega 8006 and am wondering if users are still happy with it. I read that the screens break frequently on them?

Also - I currently make a lot of nut butters in my VitaMix - and it's a pain to get them out of the container. Would it be easier in the Omega? And does anyone use it to make pasta?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:27 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I've been making blender juice for almost three months while sort of looking for a good blender deal. I found this one today:

http://www.passwird.com/deals/533395db6 ... -at-buydig

So I hopped on it. The juicer has four stars on amazon and it comes with the Cuisinart standard 90 day refurb warranty. I'm pretty stoked to not pre-chop veggies twice a week and squeeze a cold, wet ball every morning.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:38 am 
Seagull of the PPK

I still love my Omega. I didn't have anything break besides that auger the first time (freak thing). but i don't use it super regularly. i am using it lately to make tortilla masa, which is a use I never expected. and for some random things i only do a few times a year (guava jam, grape juice) it is just the bomb to not have to strain out seeds and things.
if anything does break, their customer service is fantastic. they express shipped the replacement parts to me in brazil, put it that way.

my friend makes nut butter in hers- i only make peanut so can only speak to that-- personally, i find it is not as creamy as i'd like. my friend says if i used enough oil that wouldn't be a problem but i'm already pushing 3/4c of oil for 1K of peanuts, and that's kind of a lot. so what I do is crush the peanuts into "flour" in the omega and then mix the oil and etc in the food processor (at least, that's what i did til Crackers McShardley bought the farm, now i need a new processor). it's still a bit coarser than store PB but great for PB cups, cooking, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:41 am 
Saggy Butt

I've had my 8006 for almost three years now and I love it. I haven't had any problems with the screens. I used to have one of the Breville centrifugal juicers, and I was always frustrated at how little it could get from greens and how juicy the pulp was, even after I put it through again. The Omega does a great job with greens and you get so much more juice in general. Definitely recommend it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:51 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Thanks so much for the input! Most of the online reviews for products seem to be from people who have just bought them rather than long-term users.

Torque, I make nut butters in my VitaMix and don't need to add any oil to them, so I probably wouldn't use the Omega for them. They probably aren't the creamiest (not runny at all, other than tahini) but all spread easily.