| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:14 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Thanks kara kara. I definitely scoop rather than spoon. That said, I used dry measures for the flour and a wet measuring cup for the oil and milk. I wonder if that made a difference. I'll try halving the oil next time!

I think that the temperature problem is with my oven. I know the thermometer read 350 when I put the cookies in, but now I think the temp may have gone down again after that. It's an ancient oven, but I won't be using it that much longer. I'll have to try again with the newer oven in my new house.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:47 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I had the same problem, lepelaar. I added more flour until the dough was workable, but that caused them to be pretty tasteless and with a pretty dull texture in the end.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:59 am 
Shopped till she dropped

Bakers in the US almost never weigh dry ingredients. Instead we typically use dry measuring cups for flour, sugar, etc. I don't know why, since baking is science and the little cups can be so innacurate. It's just not in our history.

Scooping flour into a dry measuring cup will mean you end up with a little extra weight, since it gets all packed together. If you have dry measuring cups around, try weighing out how much you get when you scoop a cup vs. spoon flour into a cup vs. weigh it directly. You might be surprised how much it differs.

If I have time today, I'll bake cookies (for science!) and let you know what I find.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:50 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

When I make that recipe, I either add an extra 1/4 of flour or reduce the oil to 1/3 cup. Both work wonderfully. The first time I made them, the same thing happened with mine, lepelaar! Totally gooey dough that was unrollable and they took something like at least double the time to bake, and still were weird. Now, with the changes I mentioned, they turn out just fine. I think I still bake them a couple minutes longer though. Also, get an oven thermometer if you can!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:39 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Being a Brit (and a geek) I weigh these recipes as I go the first time and use the weights thereafter. I've got the habit from bread making of weighing liquids as well, then you don't have to wash any measures. I find I have to increase cooking times on pretty much everything in the book (maybe its my oven).

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:09 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

lepelaar wrote:
Thanks kara kara. I definitely scoop rather than spoon. That said, I used dry measures for the flour and a wet measuring cup for the oil and milk. I wonder if that made a difference. I'll try halving the oil next time!

I think that the temperature problem is with my oven. I know the thermometer read 350 when I put the cookies in, but now I think the temp may have gone down again after that. It's an ancient oven, but I won't be using it that much longer. I'll have to try again with the newer oven in my new house.

yeah it's really a bummer that this recipe is not fool proof. the amount of oil is way too much. i made them once and was very disappointed. i ♥ isa and terry but am so confused by blog comments of people who love this cookie recipe, i guess they ♥ really oily cookies or something?

i plan on giving this recipe another whirl, but definitely definitely reduce the oil by half.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:44 am 

Yeah, I baked them in two batches (small oven) and while the first batch was cooking, I added a lot more flour to the second batch and they definitely came out better! I'll have to experiment with the flour:oil ratio. I didn't measure, but just kept adding until the texture of the dough seemed closer to what they were describing. I also need to find a better oil than sunflower as a canola sub. (Or find a source for canola in the Benelux.)

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:57 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

lepelaar wrote:
Yeah, I baked them in two batches (small oven) and while the first batch was cooking, I added a lot more flour to the second batch and they definitely came out better! I'll have to experiment with the flour:oil ratio. I didn't measure, but just kept adding until the texture of the dough seemed closer to what they were describing. I also need to find a better oil than sunflower as a canola sub. (Or find a source for canola in the Benelux.)

Surely you must have canola in the Benelux? It's the most common oil in Sweden! Koolzaad(olie) should be the Dutch word if Wikipedia is to be believed. I pretty much always reduce the oil and sugar in all the recipes in this book. I haven't made the basic chocolate chip cookies in a long time, but I recently made the whole wheat version (using graham flour and a wee bit of all purpose flour, I never know quite what to do about the whole wheat pastry flour issue) and they were lovely. I used chocolate buttons and had to reduce the amount of chocolate too!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:25 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I had the same problem the first time I made them - I ended up just doing a cookie cake. The last time I made them, I took someone's suggestion to cut the oil in half and it was perfect. I could actually roll the cookies into balls with no problem. I also always have to bake them for a few minutes longer than the recipe recommends.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

fyi: i scooped the flour and did not spoon it

okay i remade the choc chip cookies and cut down the oil to 1/3. i still found the dough still to be a bit loose, definitely not stiff as the directions indicate. i did a test batch of about 8 cookies and surprisingly they came out well which surprised me cuz the dough was a bit gloppy on the baking sheet. i chilled the rest of the dough for 1 hour and baked. i used a cookie scoop for both batches and with both batches the dough was too wet to press it down a bit but the oven's heat took care of that for me. the cookie's flattened out a bit, and puffed up nicely, nice round cookies.

they taste really good, but my cookies are a bit damp/sticky/oily to the touch.... i'm wondering if it might be from the humidity in my kitchen? i've had the door open today and my kitchen is pushing 80 degrees right now. if i had the cookies "cooling off" in there on racks, could that have caused the outside of the cookie to be a bit sticky/damp/oily?

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:55 pm 

fruitbat wrote:
lepelaar wrote:

Surely you must have canola in the Benelux? It's the most common oil in Sweden! Koolzaad(olie) should be the Dutch word if Wikipedia is to be believed. I pretty much always reduce the oil and sugar in all the recipes in this book. I haven't made the basic chocolate chip cookies in a long time, but I recently made the whole wheat version (using graham flour and a wee bit of all purpose flour, I never know quite what to do about the whole wheat pastry flour issue) and they were lovely. I used chocolate buttons and had to reduce the amount of chocolate too!

Oops! I didn't see this until now!

I haven't checked in Belgium, but canola/rapeseed is considered a specialty product in the Netherlands (even though it's actually grown here!) and not easy to find. There has been some renewed interest in it lately because a culinary TV personality (Wouter Klootwijk) did a show about it. But it's not readily available at most supermarkets and when it is sold, it's marketed as an expensive foodie product. (E.g. "The tastiest secret from Dutch soil revealed".)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:35 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Making the chocolate chip cookies tonight. The dough tastes pretty good so I'm hopeful!
This cookbook is so cute!! I wish I had money to buy it, but for now I'll have to use my library's copy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:33 am 
Tofu Pup

I love this book.

I have made gingersnaps, chocolate chip, pb blondies, oatmeal raisin and gingerbread men before going xgfx.

Using the tips in the beginning i have made chocolate chip and mexican chocolate snickerdoodles gf style. The only change I had to make was the addition of 1/2 tsp xanthan gum.

Loving still being able to have cookies (that don't cost and arm and a leg)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:29 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I made the city girl snickerdoodles a few days ago and my friend and dude both really liked them! I wasn't in much of a cookie mood, just had some energy to burn that only baking would cure, but I had one and they were pretty dang tasty.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:06 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I made the chocolate pretzels yesterday. They were a hit! The only thing was that I had to refrigerate the dough for a while before shaping, and then keep the parts I wasn't working with in the fridge while I made pretzel shapes out of the 1/4 of the dough I was. That may be because it was a hot day though and the dough would probably be less finicky if I made these in the Autumn or Winter. Which I will, because they were awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:09 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

has anyone ever made the chocolate fudgy oatmeal cookies?
i made them today and the batter seemed really wet and they came out super undercooked. i just had to stick them bake in the oven for 5 more minutes.

i dont *think* i made a mistake

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:15 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Did they turn out okay after you cooked them more? I made them a while ago and they turned out fine (better than fine - like baked chocolate haystacks, yum). I don't think my batter was overly wet though.

I was planning to make cookies to take into work this week and now I think I will make those again!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:45 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

you know what? it's gotta be my fault. ive never had an Isa recipe fail so bad.
some of them came out better after 5 more mins in the oven but some still fell apart when i tried to put them on the cooling rack.

i dont know what i did. i thought maybe there was a typo that missed editing in the book but if other people have made them and they came out fine it must have been me.
i dont feel that great today so i probably forked something up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:56 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

The Chocolate Fudgy Oatmeal Cookies turn out perfect for me every time. Their texture and flavor is one of my favorites of any cookie ever. They should be maybe a bit undercooked in the middle, to create the fudginess, but certainly not raw.

I hadn't made cookies in ages and felt like whipping up a pretty batch last weekend. Made the Chocolate Crinkle Cookies and they were lovely! I subbed rice syrup for the corn syrup and they spread and cracked just fine. The amount of powdered sugar called for in the recipe was way too much, I had probably 2/3 left over even though I coated each cookie very generously.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:56 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i made the spiced sweet potato blondies yesterday and i had another underdone baking issue.
now im starting to think it's my oven :-(

though ive made savory things in my oven and had no issues so im perplexed.

i have an oven thermometer so i know it was the right temp wheni put them in.

i baked them for an extra 10 mins and they still came out underdone.

im planning on making the pumpkin pie brownies this weekend too because i wanted to see which recipe i liked better for thanksgiving so i guess if those get screwed up too then i KNOW it's my oven

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:08 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i made the spiced sweet potato blondies yesterday and i had another underdone baking issue.
now im starting to think it's my oven :-(

though ive made savory things in my oven and had no issues so im perplexed.

i have an oven thermometer so i know it was the right temp wheni put them in.

i baked them for an extra 10 mins and they still came out underdone.

im planning on making the pumpkin pie brownies this weekend too because i wanted to see which recipe i liked better for thanksgiving so i guess if those get screwed up too then i KNOW it's my oven

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:19 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ok i made the pumpkin pie brownies yesterday.
i think i made a few mistakes. well potentially one mistake.
the recipe calls for "bittersweet" chocolate.
at the store i could either get unsweetened baking chocolate or semi sweet in the same bar form.
i hemmed and hawed a bit and went for the unsweetened.
im thinking i chose wrong after tasting the final product??
it's not bad by any means but i think it's a tad bland which is weird for a dessert.

also im not sure what the pumpkin part should be like upon completion. i baked it for longer than called for and chilled it in the fridge over night and the pumpkin part is still a bit wet.
the brownie part does seem done though.

im starting to seriously wonder about my oven. the weird thing is i have an oven thermometer and i always wait til it's the right temp to put stuff in cause i know when it beeps claimed it's preheat its about 25-50 degrees too cold.
the only thing i can think of is one side is hotter than the other since my spiced blondies seem to be done more on one side than another
OR if the oven thinks 300 degrees is 350 degrees then its cooling down while cooking or something.
i dunno.

it's about 7-8 years old. that's not old is it?
i made several cakes that came out perfectly like a month or two ago so im just baffled.
it's cookies/bars i keep screwing up

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:24 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Yes, you should have gotten sweetened chocolate. Semi-sweet is usually between 50-60% cocoa, while bittersweet is in the 70s--still quite sweet.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:32 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i think im gonna try and make them again next weekend as i was seeing what i want to bake for thanksgiving. so ill try the semi sweet.
it will also give me an opportunity to track what's going on with my oven.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:58 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

So yesterday I made the chocolate chip cookies and it says to bake for max 9 minutes, but after 9 minutes mine looked completely undone so I left them longer, until the edges were very very slightly colored... it might have been 16-18 minutes. Well, they are delicious of course, but crunchy, not chewy at all obviously. Basically like the biscotti you buy. I remember now that someone else had the same "I don't trust they are done" issue, ah well, I knew I should trust Isa!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next