| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: puppy vaccines?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:49 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Hi dog people, I suspect my vet is taking me for a ride and wonder if you could tell me what is appropriate for new puppy vaxes.
At ~~month 3 he got a multi-function shot (distemper, parvo, adenovirus, flu, lepto, coronavirus)- actually it's two shots for the same illnesses. (?) It's called Vanguard Plus.
At month 4 he got the same multifunction shots, plus an intranasal kennel cough/flu one.
Now he is supposed to go back at month 5 for the multifunction again
And again at month 6
And again at one year.

This seems a little much to me, and he hasn't even gotten a rabies vax yet! I am thinking of bringing him somewhere else and just asking for a rabies shot because this all seems really completely ridiculous to me.
There is also the fact that each of these visits costs between $150 and $200, which is adding up to a total of $1000 for VACCINES ALONE. I mean, yes, I will provide what the dog needs but this seems a little bit excessive, and I'd like to have some money left over to get him fixed (which is another issue, since Dr Expensive "doesn't believe in castrating til he's at least 18 months old". No sweat, we will be changing vets presently, but I want to have some idea what I'm talking about when I go to meet the new vet.

I don't remember having this slew of vaccines when I was in the US and got Baby Whippet. There is definitely something wrong here, right????

Post subject: Re: puppy vaccines?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:06 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i don't think there's something wrong here. vaccines are always given as a series of shots; i'm pretty sure it's the same for baby people. it takes some time for the developing immune system to build up an appropriate level of antibodies, especially since the dose you're able to safely give to a young puppy is fairly small. all puppies develop immunity at a different rate--some respond right away, and some aren't fully immunized until 16 or 18 weeks--so you have to set a standard schedule that's safe for the slowest set. puppies need a minimum of three doses for most of what's contained in the combo vaccine. some vets give first vaccines at six weeks and then recommend boosters every three weeks, so your vet isn't doing too bad. rabies isn't supposed to be given until a dog is at least 12 weeks old, but there are sometimes local laws that affect the vaccination age. at any rate, there are medical reasons for what your vet is doing, and if you go somewhere else i imagine they will tell you the same thing.

that said, i think kennel cough should be optional unless your dog is routinely around other dogs, and 18 months for neutering is weird; most vets will do it by six months.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:33 am 
Seagull of the PPK

thanks, it was making me really frustrated, but i suppose when i think about it it's not unrealistic, just frustrating.
There is no reason for the bordetella that i can think of except for the fact that it enables him to charge another $60- the dog is a mutt (hybrid vigor!) doesn't board, travel or show, and is strong as a bull. The vet is a local guy-- our great vet lives far from us and when we had an emergency she wasn't available; in trying this new guy I was trying to stay local but there's something weird about this guy that creeps me out. i think i will keep looking for a new vet that's closer to us. in the meantime i am going to hit the humane society for the last shots and the neutering.
As my accent gets better and better i get fewer hassles for being a foreigner (like getting the "gringo tax") but i think this guy is trying to fleece me, so away i go. and that neutering thing is weird.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:18 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

What I remember was the combo vax three times with the last one at four months old at the same time as the Rabies, and repeating both at 1 year. Bordetella was optional. Last time I was working for the vet we were giving Leptosporosis because there were a bunch of reported cases locally, and also Lyme because it's all over the place here. I don't know if they vaccinate for either there, but I wonder if those might be other things he's giving too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:20 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

lepto seems to be in the combo vaccine (tho i really can't understand why he's giving two of the vials of the multi vaccine each time. They're different so it's not just a volume thing. i keep the barcode tags off the vials and they both say they're a combo vax. hm.
we have lyme disease here but no vaccine yet, so no shot. I wish I could get a lyme shot, i seem to have ticks all the time.

i talked to someone else who told me that their vaccines cost about $20 per visit so i am absolutely sure something is screwed up here.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:26 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

woah. yeah, i think the vaccine schedule is probably ok (i think we gave the rabies at 4 months and that was the last of the shots until 1 year), but the price is out of control! when i worked for a vet we charged for an exam for the first visit ($45), but they could get their follow up boosters without a visit and i think each of the shots was $10 or $15. $150-$200 per visit is definitely wrong!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:41 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

$150-200 a visit for each shot is odd -- can't a vet tech do this instead of a vet, which would waive altogether or significantly reduce the cost of an office visit?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:01 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

nimrod wrote:
$150-200 a visit for each shot is odd -- can't a vet tech do this instead of a vet, which would waive altogether or significantly reduce the cost of an office visit?

there are no techs- the entire practice is one vet (things are a bit different here)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:52 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I opted not to get the kennel cough vac for Lucy when she was a puppy and regretted it when she got kennel cough when she went to get spayed at a clinic. It was AWFUL. I would pay for a shot every year just to make sure that doesn't happen again. Also keep in mind that if you suddenly have to board your dog or you want them to go to puppy daycare for a day the kennel cough vac needs to be given a couple of weeks in advance for it to activate. Now that I am a groomer and my dogs go to work with me they have to get the shot anyhow.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:20 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

I agree tank, KC is nasty- the whippet, despite having the vaccine, had it as a wee one. She was constantly sick for the first year, poor lovie!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:53 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

tank wrote:
I opted not to get the kennel cough vac for Lucy when she was a puppy and regretted it when she got kennel cough when she went to get spayed at a clinic. It was AWFUL. I would pay for a shot every year just to make sure that doesn't happen again. Also keep in mind that if you suddenly have to board your dog or you want them to go to puppy daycare for a day the kennel cough vac needs to be given a couple of weeks in advance for it to activate. Now that I am a groomer and my dogs go to work with me they have to get the shot anyhow.

This. Kennel cough is no joke. Mare had it when we adopted her and it took her weeks to get better. She also got a secondary bacterial infection in her lungs. Sometimes I still hear her hacking cough in my dreams.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:46 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Update: yes, I was getting screwed. I found a new vet today, and we determined that the old vet is just plain cuckoo. He was charging me the standard price for the entire series of vaccines, only every time i went (triple dipping?), and he also had me down for at least one more booster that we didnt need. (another dip)
Nacho will be getting his last booster on Saturday (a series of THREE shots), and we also got a great referral for the surgeon for his fixing.

Thanks!!