| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Spice rack solutions!
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:34 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

paprikapapaya, i love your setup. (especially that they're different sizes and colors and designs.)

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:05 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I am enjoying looking at pictures of your spice setups a bit too much.

As for mine, I have this two-tiered lazy-susan thing that I keep on a shelf below my counter. It's awesome because it rotates, so you don't have to have to pull out every single spice to get to the ones at the back. I keep my lesser-used spices in the middle of the circle so the ones I use often are right around the edges for minimal digging.

The only downside is that depending on the height of where you keep the turntable, you may have trouble fitting larger jars on it... most of my spices came from Penzeys so they're in their (rather slender) 1/2c and 1/4c jars. You can fit lots of those on there no problem. I also have a few square and oddly-shaped jars from the supermarket that I've managed to squeeze in. The three or four enormous jars I have that just won't fit are kept off to the side on the same shelf. I buy most of my spices in bulk now, so I keep baggies of the extra bulk spices in the hard-to-reach cabinet above the fridge and just refill the jars on the rack as needed.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:51 pm 
Chip Strong

allularpunk wrote:
I wish I could have a rack like that in my kitchen, but alas, no empty walls. I do, however, have a crazy amount of cupboard space and have a large cupboard designated to my spices.!

If you don't have empty walls, the supercarrot solution also works standing on a shelf! It is maybe not super earthquake safe but it works and you could totally put them in your cupboard on that clear nubbled shelf liner for added stability so you don't knock the whole shebang over if you're grabbing spices quickly.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:08 pm 

you can hang them on the inside of your cupboard doors.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:04 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

paprikapapaya wrote:
Here's ours:

I bought the tins, epoxied magnets (the rare earth kind that are superstrong) to the back and dipped the lids in chalkboard paint. It works great. AutumnVegan did this project first and I copied since it was such a good idea.

We bought and assembled extra tins for more spices which is a good thing since we've added several spices since this photo was taken.

This is amazing!

(And what is the cool word cloud hanging to the left?)

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:30 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

allularpunk wrote:
I wish I could have a rack like that in my kitchen, but alas, no empty walls. I do, however, have a crazy amount of cupboard space and have a large cupboard designated to my spices. Round glass jars on the bottom right, square tins on the bottom left. Whole spices on the middle right, bigger tubs on the middle left. Top shelf is all overflow with bulk stuff. I actually really love the way it's set up, and I finally have enough room to add more if I need to!

If the cabinets are tall, you can add a tension rod to balance bottles on to utilize that vertical space.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:01 pm 
WELFARIST!

You guys are so clever. I'm happy with my setup now, but if my spice collection expands, I will look into it!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:02 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

PP, I love your set up! Where did you get the tins?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:59 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Move over supercarrot- check out my rack... err cabinet:

Ok joking aside I can't help cry a little when I see it. We're moving soon though so hopefully better arrangements in my future! I've bookmarked everyone's favorite spice solution on amazon, but it'll be a while before I manage to order it.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:24 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We have over 100 spices/blends right now on a big lazy susan in our rental house. It's JUST big enough. Some of the larger bags with whole spices fall off when it turns, because we're running out of room. I think it's okay right now, like just starting to get on my crowded side, but it drives my husband nuts, and I have to find things for him. I'm able to remember what the tops of jars look like for individual spices, because I'm a crazy person, but I guess his brain doesn't work that way.

I do keep several whole spices for Indian cooking though, so I have a bunch of large mason jars, which obviously won't fit in drawers or those door-hangy things. We're moving into a new house soon, and I'm trying to think of a more organized solution. I have a feeling they'll be taking up a section of our pantry this time, which isn't necessarily ideal because it's not right next to the stove, but if anyone has any better ideas, I'd be up for hearing them.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:27 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

A friend of mine linked to this on facebook, and I just HAD to share it here: Magnetic Periodic Table of Herbs and Spices

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:50 pm 

hmmm. i wonder why they chose to put sesame seed down with the leaves, and cilantro and parsley up with the seeds.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:54 pm 
Chip Strong

Does anyone have one of these swivel spice racks?

I don't have enough cupboard space to devote a cabinet (or even really a shelf) to spices, so this looks like it might be a good solution.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:42 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Can't do photos since I moved outta there, but I loved my spice rack, 'twas so pretty. I bought three of these: Just the rack, it doesn't come with those jars.

And then for jars, well I would always buy, clean off the labels and save these jars after using the paste, and these jars. It perfectly fit either five of the tomato paste jars, or four of the Thai True. I liked using the Thai True ones the best because they held a bit more and I like a wider mouth for my spices 'cause I'm a pincher.

Anyways, I hung them on a wall in a vertical line, so it was just a giant colorful spicy heaven. I need to have all my spices in clear containers with no labels. I want to see them! I write what they are in sharpie on the lid. And just a little citrasolv will remove that sharpie when you're done. But now I've seen PP's lids I would totally chalkboard paint dip the lids.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:28 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I found a big rack at Goodwill for $5, nailed it to the wall, and filled it with spices. Some of the jars are from IKEA, but the rest are just mason jars of various sizes. The tiny 4oz ones are perfect for spices.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5