| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10641 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206 ... 426  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:54 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

In restaurants I say "can't" for all of the reasons laid out above - I'm hopeful the request will be taken more seriously because health reasons and allergies are implied. However if I am talking to a friend or something, I tend to use something like "I avoid" because "can't" sounds like I'm deprived, which I am certainly not, and "won't" rings a little preachy to me.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:06 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I say "can't" at restaurants and to other people. When it comes to junk and unhealthy foods I say I "don't" eat that. Just don't get now the don't stuff is a preference and the can't stuff isn't. Plus I'm allergic to shrimp and I think mildly lactose intolerant, do cant really means I can't.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:34 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

i was reading a diet/lifestyle forum and a book author claimed when she started eating clean foods/detoxing/green juice her eye color changed. i find this to be super dumb.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:00 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Here's mine. American measurements. I am overwhelmingly grateful for all the amazing cookbooks out there and most of my favourite cook books are American. I know you guys are used to cups as a measure but they really fork me right off- if you weigh everything you dirty 1 bowl. When I use cups I not only dirty all the different cups and spoons but also tip ingredients all over the bloody kitchen!

This was hardly ever a problem pre-vegan, I hardly ever used American cook books. It's not you guys seriously, I love you guys, but I forking hate cup measurements. There I said it.

I'm slowly working my way through my favourite recipes writing down weights as I go.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:16 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

bothersome: when someone you sort of know from real life msgs you on FB to say "let's get together for sushi" [because of my name i guess they assume i must be japanese and love sushi. whole nother problem.] and then PSs, i guess after seeing that my username involves the word "vegan" and i like 100000000 vegan things "Oh you're VEGAN? I am so sorry. Hope you're not offended."

should i be offended? if so, why? did sushi kill my father?

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:35 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Cgvegan wrote:
It's not you guys seriously, I love you guys, but I forking hate cup measurements. There I said it.
SECONDED

I have a measuring cone thing that has US cups on it AND THEIR EQUIVALENT WEIGHTS for flour, sugar, oats, cocoa... it's a really useful thing to have.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:31 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Cgvegan wrote:
Here's mine. American measurements. I am overwhelmingly grateful for all the amazing cookbooks out there and most of my favourite cook books are American. I know you guys are used to cups as a measure but they really fork me right off- if you weigh everything you dirty 1 bowl. When I use cups I not only dirty all the different cups and spoons but also tip ingredients all over the bloody kitchen!

THIS!!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I kind of thought you guys were silly until I used weights for baking. That shiitake is infinitely easier than leveling off cups and shiitake. For regular cooking though, meh whatever.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:56 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Gulliver wrote:
Cgvegan wrote:
It's not you guys seriously, I love you guys, but I forking hate cup measurements. There I said it.
SECONDED

I have a measuring cone thing that has US cups on it AND THEIR EQUIVALENT WEIGHTS for flour, sugar, oats, cocoa... it's a really useful thing to have.

I need one of those. Where did you get it?

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:07 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Desdemona wrote:

Ahahahaha Pig Won't! My parents actually used to call me Pig Won't when I was little and obstinate. Now I am big and obstinate - born to be a Won't!

I actually use 'don't', as in 'I don't eat that', though.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:17 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Cgvegan wrote:

so wait, how do you do it elsewhere?
do you use a bowl and a scale???

that does sound a lot easier.

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:21 pm 
Grandfathered In

But a cup is a unit of volume, not weight. (A cup of one substance won't necessarily weigh the same as a cup of a different substance.) I don't understand baking, I guess.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:25 pm 
Mediocre Tart

LisaPunk wrote:
Cgvegan wrote:

that does sound a lot easier.

We judge it by the extent to which a sock is filled with flour and ration accordingly.

I am a sock cup convert, I have to say. I don't understand you deniers any more!

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:59 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

What I don't understand with cup measuring is how, if a recipe needs a cup of chopped carrots, how can you go to the shop and know how many whole carrots will be needed.

Maybe it's easier if you've used cups forever or maybe my spacial awareness (is that the right maths thing?) is not good but I frequently over or under buy.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:50 am 
WELFARIST!

A lot of recipes will say something like "2 cups diced carrots (about 3 medium carrots)". Also, I don't know what it's like to shop in another country but we usually buy our carrots bagged.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:58 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

jogirl wrote:
I need one of those. Where did you get it?
A hardware store that did kitchen stuff, but I think I've seen them in Sainsbury's.

LisaPunk wrote:
Yes.

creep wrote:
I kind of thought you guys were silly until I used weights for baking. That shiitake is infinitely easier than leveling off cups and shiitake. For regular cooking though, meh whatever.
Yeah, for anything other than bread and cakes, I measure things by eye. The world is not going to end if you put in half a carrot too much.

According to my measuring cone:
1 US cup = 225ml = ¾ UK cup = 110g wheat flour = 125g rice flour = 150g dried fruit = 200g lentils = 210g rice or sugar = 100g almonds = 110g cocoa or cornflour = 70g rolled oats or breadcrumbs.

(All are slightly rounded for convenience and measured by eye).

I don't do pounds and ounces.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:18 am 
Not NOT A Furry

creep wrote:

Of course- who weighs stuff for a soup?!

And so happy I'm not alone!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:24 am 
Not NOT A Furry

FootFace wrote:
But a cup is a unit of volume, not weight. (A cup of one substance won't necessarily weigh the same as a cup of a different substance.) I don't understand baking, I guess.

Weights don't depend on how you scoop or level, so there's less guessing. And though a cup of oats isn't the same as a cup of sugar, 200g of each weighs exactly the same!

You can't normally sub stuff cup for cup anyway.

Baking bread has got me into the habit of weighing everything, including liquids. For most liquids 100ml=100g, so that's another thing I don't have to dirty!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:26 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm kind of the odd one out. I've lived in Europe for almost two decades, and I still rely on my US measuring cups. I don't own a kitchen scale, and the only thing I ever convert is temperature. I also tend to mainly buy US cookbooks, not because I'm not interested in European ones but as a side effect of having worked in a bookshop that specialized in books from America.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:34 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

KatyCarr wrote:
What I don't understand with cup measuring is how, if a recipe needs a cup of chopped carrots, how can you go to the shop and know how many whole carrots will be needed.

Maybe it's easier if you've used cups forever or maybe my spacial awareness (is that the right maths thing?) is not good but I frequently over or under buy.

My spatial awareness is way better than my sense of weight. I can totally just eyeball carrots or whatever, but if I go by weight (my favourite veggie place lacks convenient scales) I generally end up getting 2 to 3 times more than I actually need because weight is hard.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:28 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Tea wrote:

My spatial awareness is way better than my sense of weight. I can totally just eyeball carrots or whatever, but if I go by weight (my favourite veggie place lacks convenient scales) I generally end up getting 2 to 3 times more than I actually need because weight is hard.

Same here! Or I don't get nearly enough, because I think, 'Surely this is 2 pounds!' and it's really only, like, 1/2 a pound. Apparently, I'm a wimp when it comes to hefting potatoes.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:20 am 
Chard Martyr

Tea wrote:
KatyCarr wrote:

Pay by weight places are evil! The foods I like are ALWAYS the heaviest (I load up on lots of water-filled veg, pickled beets, dal, saucy dishes with extra sauce, potato salad, etc and ignore the light stuff like green salads, rice etc...and I always end up paying a ridiculous amount for my meal. I will never master the art of the pay-by-weight buffet.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:24 am 
Seagull of the PPK

lepelaar wrote:
I'm kind of the odd one out. I've lived in Europe for almost two decades, and I still rely on my US measuring cups. I don't own a kitchen scale, and the only thing I ever convert is temperature. .

yeah, i guess maybe my case is a bit different, because the places where i live/have lived use cups and weights both (and, interestingly, nobody here uses scales although all recipes are in weights-- we instead measuring cups that show weight equivalents, like gulliver mentioned) and i just can't really be bothered with the scale. another thing to drag out of the cabinet [yes, i sort of eyeball everything cuz i'm lazy]

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:57 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

KatyCarr wrote:

i think for savory dishes it doesnt matter as much cause if you have 3/4 cup carrots instead of 1 full cup it's not gonna make a difference.
a lot of recipes, like someone mentioned, will say "about 3 medium carrots"
i usually will scribble how many of something it took me to get to the measurement into the cookbook the first time i make it. i do this with lemon/lime zest because i can never tell.
1 tbsp lime zest might be like 2 limes for all i know.

the recipes that tell you how many of something are definitely the most helpful.

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:06 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Cgvegan wrote:
...if you weigh everything you dirty 1 bowl. When I use cups I not only dirty all the different cups and spoons but also tip ingredients all over the bloody kitchen!

I usually only dirty my teaspoons and maybe two cups (if a recipe calls for 1/3 and 1/4 multiples, not just one). I take the smallest denominator and multiply. You don't need to use 1 cup and 1/4 cup- 4 1/4 cups is 1 cup, after all.

Yay, fractions. Maybe I'm just too American to understand, but the idea of weighing things to bake seems ridiculously complicated- put more on, take some off, keep waiting till it's right, whereas I scoop, level, and bam. done.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

Reply to topic  [ 10641 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206 ... 426  Next