| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spring 2013 Cookbook Challenge **weeks 6 & 7** Chloe boo
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:36 pm 
Saggy Butt

I was feeling lazy tonight, so I made Chloe's 5 minute salad and heated up a leftover garlic bread from last night. I love the way the vinegar and avocado mush together to make a dressing. It's very tasty! I didn't have scallions, so I substituted a shallot. I also added some cucumber.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:34 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

allularpunk wrote:
daisychain wrote:
daisychain wrote:
Yeah, I think possibly her dishes are best served as a tiny portion with a massive salad. I also find she is a tad heavy on the salt.

That is how I've eaten all of her stuff so far! With a giant salad, haha! Yeah, tons of oil. I try to make the recipe as is the first time, but I feel like I could easily cut out a lot of it. I am surprised by her heavy handedness of salt, but do not mind it. I find that usually recipe writers err on the side of less salt just because so many people are sensitive to it. I like it!

I really should start doing that because in one weekend I undone all last weeks weight loss. Bah! It's still killing me that quiet a part of it is due to that pizza base. If it had at least tasted good then I wouldn't mind so much. The topping was fantastic..... just the base was bleurgh.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:48 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Here is a dumb photo of the Thai Chickpea Burger with Sweet and Spicy Sauce. Even though I messed up and added a bunch of oil to the burgers because I didn't read the directions right, they were good! I was afraid they'd be oily feeling in my mouth, but they were just a little mushy. I'm trying not to think about the added fat, haha...I mean it won't kill me, there's just also a lot of oil in the sauce and of course the avocado is fatty. I try not to overdo it, generally. Anyway, even though the sauce was just ok on its own, it went well with the burger. I'm finding this aspect of her recipes pretty interesting...the components separately taste just ok, but combined they are awesome.

Oh, I also made the Matzo Brei from her blog, but didn't take a picture because boy howdy is it ugly, and also...I don't love it. It's pretty bland, except for the pepper flavor, and the texture squicks me out. Like...wet bread. I thought it would turn more...fritatta-like, but alas. Just mush mush mush. I mean, I'm going to eat it because I do not waste food that isn't inedible, and it was a filling breakfast this morning (trying to solve my constant hunger problem with a protein rich brekkie), but I will not be making it again. (Oh, I also only added 1 Tbsp of marg and 1 Tbsp of oil instead of 4 and 3.)

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:47 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

We made Chloe's mac 'n cheese from her blog (I believe it's the same recipe in the book, only not baked & without bread crumbs), along with a side salad topped by the Shallot-Dijon Vinaigrette.

The mac 'n cheese turned out very good. I was put off by the sauce color, due to the tomato paste, but the finished product makes it look more authentic I guess. Instead of the 4-6 servings this was supposed to be, it turned out to be more like 8 servings. I mean, you use an entire lb. of pasta! It's good to have some to freeze though. My long macncheese-loving man really likes this one. I love a mac with broccoli to soak up all the delicious sauce. I cut down on the margarine too, but not the salt and it's a tad too salty for me.

I don't really know if the vinaigrette is good because I failed to cut down on the oil and now it's all I taste. Ugh!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:02 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

i was going to make the bbq sauce tonight but have enough of my store go to that will last this week.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

my copy just arrived at our library. sigh. oh well. it's been fun seeing what y'all have been making though! i'll be ready for cookin' crunk next week!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:19 pm 
Nailed to the V

bookwormbethie wrote:
my copy just arrived at our library. sigh. oh well. it's been fun seeing what y'all have been making though! i'll be ready for cookin' crunk next week!

Aww, what a bummer! I'm sorry about that. Well, at least now you have lots of good recommendations to go on if you decide to jump in at the last minute!

I made the New York Style Crumb Cake and the Chocolate Macadamia Cookies from her Desserts book. Both were huge successes! I made the Macadamia cookies to satisfy a chocolate craving, so that did the trick nicely. The crumb cake was for a potluck, and it was deeelicious! I had a hard time not keeping the whole thing for myself!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:49 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Has anyone made the fudge? Is it really "the real deal" as she claims? I don't want to waste my chocolate chips and coconut milk and time if it won't turn out right. But, I haven't had fudge in years, so if it's good, I gotta make it.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:01 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the fudge around Xmas time. It was not like fudge. It was more like a very stiff icing. I followed the directions but it could have been something odd. I still ate it and it was tasty, but I had to eat it with a spoon. I'd be interested to hear if anyone had luck with this recipe.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:40 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Pad Thai Noodles from her blog. These were good and super easy and simple to make. I added extra soy sauce because I am a freak and about 3/4 tsp of red pepper flakes to make it more awesome. I've never had pad thai, so I don't know if it tasted authentic or not, but for an easy peasy noodle dish, it was lovely!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:45 pm 
Tofu Pup

allularpunk wrote:
I'm finding this aspect of her recipes pretty interesting...the components separately taste just ok, but combined they are awesome.

This I absolutely agree! When I made the LA Style Chimichurri Tacos, I thought the tomato rice was just alright. Taco filling of mushroom and black bean was ok. Chimichurri sauce kinda oily and sweet. And sour cream a bit too salty. But when you combine everything together, somehow the magic happens. Everything tastes so right when put together.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:55 pm 

I made the Chipotle Chop Salad for dinner tonight (just leaving out the quinoa for the sake of convenience). It was pretty delicious. I'm excited to have it for lunch the next day or so. It's not too much to look at, but enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:12 pm 
Tofu Pup

Avocado Pesto Pasta was tasty. Simple to make. Just cook the pasta and toast everything in the food processor then you're done. I thought it tastes great, but it feels a bit heavy at the end since it was pretty heavy in oil. But overall, it was a good dish. Maybe next time I'll cut down the olive oil a bit.

Chloe’s Favorite Five-Minute Salad is another super easy dish to make. I'm surprise how good just rice vinegar + salt + pepper taste in salad. Now I know you don't even need oil in salad dressing to make it taste good. The smashed avocado added creaminess to the salad. I like it a lot.

In the book, it said the recipe is for 6 servings. I think that was a typo. The salad was barely enough for the 2 of us.

P.S. I'm making tons of dishes with avocado since it was on sale 3 for $1 this week. :-)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:28 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Woooohoooo! Avocados are finally ripe! I have mac and cheese left for tonight so will be leaving the avocados until tomorrow evening.

I had the falafel in my wrap yesterday. A little on the dry side since I baked them so I added some extra mayo that I had in the fridge at work. Going to use extra hummus today.

I think this weekend I am going to take a Chloe break and make my meals from AFR for next week. Although come to think of it I have broccoli so I might make the cheesy broccoli soup for lunches. Will start cookin crunk once I get paid later next week.

So, recipe tally so far: Mac and cheese, garlic bread, BBQ pineapple pizza, falafel, pancakes. The avocado toast and cheesy broccoli soup will take that to 7 recipes made. I didn't go with any of the sweet recipes in the end because I badly need to cut back on nice things.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:43 am 

I made the Green Curry Crepes today. I halved the crepes recipe and made it by hand. I had to add about 100ml of water to the batter when it was finally time to make them - the batter was resting for about an hour when I finally finished making the curry. However, it seemed really thick when I first made it, so I probably would have needed to add more water even if the batter had only rested the 30 minutes the recipe calls for.

As for the curry, I didn't have enough cilantro and coconut milk, so I used less of both. I also didn't have a jalapeno, so I used chili paste instead. I wasn't all that impressed with the curry, as I don't like cilantro much, but my SO really liked it.

Overall, I really liked the idea of eating curry in crepes but the curry needs some tweaking* to better suit my taste. Or maybe I'd just use a red curry instead next time (I think I'm not much of a green curry person).

*Following the recipe exactly might also help. ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:42 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I've totally fallen off the challenge bandwagon - life kind of exploded. But I'm going to have a go at a few of Chloe's even though I think this weekend ends her portion of the challenge. Maybe avocado pesto tonight, but with walnuts instead of pine nuts as I don't have pine nuts a d can't afford more grocery shopping just now.

Maybe her Mac and cheese, don't know how much soy milk I have though. What could I sub the agave with?

Have to take a closer look at her recipes online and see if I have all the ingredients for any of them. Which is doubtful.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:55 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

she says online than you can use sugar instead of the agave, Ill do that tonight.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:50 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

We made the LA Chimichurri Tacos last night, so that was recipe #4. The flavor of the rice was nice, but the recipe didn't specify how long to cook the rice. I wouldn't consider myself a total novice cook, but rice is not the easiest thing to get right for someone who is. I guessed on time, so it ended up being a little wet. I left out about half of the oil and agave from the chimichurri sauce. I don't think the agave was necessary at all. I can see this being a good jumping off point for dinners in the future, but I like the chimi sauces in Viva Vegan and AFR better.

For "recipe" #5, I made the Avocado Toast with nooch added. It's good, but my usual combo of avo/nooch/lemon and poblano hot sauce is still my favorite. The little bit of salt and pepper was nice, though. And the avocado I used was one of the most perfect avocados I've ever had.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:23 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I made the Mac N Cheese today. It tastes pretty bland and Ive eaten low-fat ones that tasted "richer" somehow..

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:52 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Really enjoyed the avocado pesto, even though I subbed walnuts for pine nuts and halved the oil. I can't imagine using the full half cup! One quarter cup was perfect.

Hubby didn't love it. I will definitely do pine nuts as I think the walnuts were the part throwing him off. But either way he will have to learn to like it since I will probably make this pretty regularly.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:33 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Ever since pine nuts got stupidly expensive I ALWAYS sub walnuts for them. I don't think I've eaten a pine nut in 3 years.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I made the straw and hay pasta today. It was very "meh". The sauce tasted mainly of tahini. The sun-dried tomatoes lightened it all up a bit, and I also bulked it up with some baked tofu, otherwise it would have been incredibly boring. Would not make again.

Can't believe I've managed to make 5 recipes during these two weeks though! I'm proud of myself.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:05 am 
Tofu Pup

Limone wrote:
Ever since pine nuts got stupidly expensive I ALWAYS sub walnuts for them. I don't think I've eaten a pine nut in 3 years.

It was $19.99/lb in the bulk section of my supermarket!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:11 am 
Tofu Pup

Wasabi Sesame Noodle Salad was lovely. It was light, and tastes great. I like it cold. This would be a great lunch when the weather is hot.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:18 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I had the avocado toast for dinner. My avocado was perfection. I really enjoyed it. I really would never have thought of this on my own.

Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next