| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Vegan Desserts by Chloe Coscarelli
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:17 pm 
Tofu Pup

I made the Banana Cake with Blueberries and Lemon Buttercream frosting for my husband's birthday. The cake itself is not overly sweet, while the frosting is sweet and lemony. It was really good! I've had much more success with the cake recipes than the cupcake recipes for some reason.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:50 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

LisaPunk wrote:
im not sure i understand why as ive never heard of baked goods getting better with age but it was most like a normal cupcake and not like a mouth of crisco the second day

I hear all the time that fat-free baked goods are best on the same day and that they will dry out quickly after that. My own experience has been that the fat-free baked goods I make get moister the longer they sit, and they are actually better after a couple of days. Cakes are especially nice as they develop a very shiny top that looks quite attractive. No need for icing!

I think with regular baked goods, keeping qualities depend a lot on temperature, humidity, and how they are stored.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:07 pm 
Saggy Butt

Has anyone tried either the celebration cake or the dark chocolate fudge cake? I'm making a birthday cake later this week and would appreciate any feedback.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:38 pm 
Nailed to the V

zinnia wrote:
Has anyone tried either the celebration cake or the dark chocolate fudge cake? I'm making a birthday cake later this week and would appreciate any feedback.

I sorta made the dark chocolate fudge cake last week. I used her recipe as a model, and then I subbed like half the oil with applesauce, reduced the sugar by like 1/4, used coffee in place of some of the water (or was it milk in her recipe?), and used a bit of whole wheat flour in place of just all-purpose. Anyway, even with all the tampering, mine turned out really good! Not too sweet, just nice and chocolatey. It kept well for days, too. I used a chocolate tofu mousse frosting on it, so yummy! Hope your cake baking goes well; good luck!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:33 am 
Saggy Butt

beethecookie wrote:
zinnia wrote:

I sorta made the dark chocolate fudge cake last week. I used her recipe as a model, and then I subbed like half the oil with applesauce, reduced the sugar by like 1/4, used coffee in place of some of the water (or was it milk in her recipe?), and used a bit of whole wheat flour in place of just all-purpose. Anyway, even with all the tampering, mine turned out really good! Not too sweet, just nice and chocolatey. It kept well for days, too. I used a chocolate tofu mousse frosting on it, so yummy! Hope your cake baking goes well; good luck!

Thanks! I've had inconsistent results with the recipes from her other book, so this information is very helpful.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:34 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

has anyone else made the cherry hand pies? I ate them all but I didnt like them much (oops...).

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:27 pm 
Tofu Pup

Has anyone tried the brownies? Mine were so greasey... the taste was okay/good. They also didn't firm up in the middle. Did anyone else have problems?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:52 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

2dogsand3cats wrote:
Has anyone tried the brownies? Mine were so greasey... the taste was okay/good. They also didn't firm up in the middle. Did anyone else have problems?

YES, I was just coming here to post the same thing. Mine were suuuuper greasy on the bottom and the inside was still doughy. I thought it didn't bake completely because my oven is wonky and the temperature fluctuates a lot, but if you had issues too....

I thought they tasted good and husband loved them, so I would like to modify the recipe a bit so they come out better but still stay fudgey and have the crackly top. Not sure what to do though. More flour? Less oil? If they bake longer I think they'll get too hard; the edges are already really crispy. :(

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:42 pm 
Tofu Pup

glad, to see it wasnt just me! I might try the recipe but with less oil/margarine. I was very happy with the fudgeyness AND the crackle top, both are hard to recreate in a vegan brownie recipe.

when I made them I did cook them longer (i think like 15mins longer) to get them not so as doughy but they never firmed up, the outer edges just turned into rocks.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:41 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I made the pumpkin cinnamon rolls and subbed mostly sprouted whole wheat flour because I didn't have enough white flour. I made them the night before and they were enormous when they went into the oven. Unfortunately I assigned the task of putting them in the oven and removing them from the oven to someone else, who I thought would do a good job but did a terrible job and baked them for the amount of time the book said, no questions asked! They were horribly undercooked, which I didn't realize until after we had frosted them. I put them back in the oven with the frosting on and they turned out okay, but I think they would have been awesome if baked correctly the first time. (oh, also I used coconut oil instead of EB for the filling, all brown sugar in the filling instead of part white, craisins instead of raisins, and added cinnamon to the frosting)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:48 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made the banana cobbler this past weekend. I think it might be my favorite recipe from this book yet. And it was super easy to make.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:01 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I just made the Raspberry Swirl Coffee Cake. I used fresh raspberries that I picked this morning. I followed the recipe exactly besides swapping 1/2 cup whole wheat flour for all purpose. It turned out wonderful. It is so moist and delicious. Perfect as written!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:14 am 

Made the chocolate chip cookies last night. I undercooked them a little (as I have a tendency to do since I hate overcooked cookies) but my kids still loved them. Great easy recipe with pantaloon staple ingredients.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:01 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my inlaws came to visit this weekend and i made a couple amazing things from this book.

first i made the raspberry coffee cake for breakfast one morning and it came out amazing. everyone repeatedly said how amazing it was. i would have cooked it 1 minute longer as it came out a little tiny bit wet but otherwise it was awesome. i just ate the last piece and im sad it's gone.

then for grandparents day we also had my parents over and i made the celebration cake and again so good. came out perfect. yummy and moist. i didnt use a Chloe frosting recipe though as i didnt like one i made for cupcakes before that was mainly just shortening. since i knew i was serving it to people who normally dont eat vegan and not just my husband and myself i wanted a slam dunk so i frosted it with just the vegan fluffy buttercream frosting from VCTOTW.

it came out great. ive never made a layer cake before and i was so proud of the end product!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:14 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

My guy bought me a torch for my birthday and I made the creme brulee on the weekend. Didn't get a blogworthy photo this time but will make it again for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:09 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I am going to buy this book ... this week-end ... I am swooning reading all the comments ...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:43 am 

I made the peanut butter cookies this weekend. I was really happy with how they came out. I've had bad luck w/pb cookies lately. These were so simple and delicious.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:25 pm 
Nailed to the V

I took the book's pumpkin whoopie pie recipe and converted it to a sheet cake. Once I had the sheet cake cooled, I made the frosting that goes with the pies in the book and frosted half the cake. Then I folded the unfrosted half on top, creating a giant sandwich cookie cake thing. Then I cut it into squares and stuffed my face. These are goood.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:58 am 

It's Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada. I made two desserts out of the book for the occasion. I made the maple sandwich cookies. Me and my DD went the bulk barn to find a maple leaf cookie cutter. They only had a jumbo sized one and a mini one, no regular sized one. We went with mini, our logic being that since you have to ice and sandwich two together the jumbo size would be to big. Well we rolled and cut dough again and again and again. LOL! It made about 100 sandwich cookies in the end. They were tasty and my girls loved eating the dough scraps. We did have leftover maple icing which we used to frost our pumpkin cupcakes. We made the pumpkin whoopee pie recipes but made 12 big cupcakes instead and frosted with the maple icing. These were amazing, so good and the maple icing works perfectly with the pumpkin cupcake. Will definitely make these again.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:17 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I made the pumpkin cinnamon rolls last night, and they are good but I don't think anything can beat the vegan yum yum recipe. The pumpkin dough was really good, so I think I might combine the two recipes. The main difference is in the VYY book she adds butter and sugar to the bottom of the baking dish, uses way more filling in the actual cinnamon rolls, and has a cream cheese frosting. I made the VYY frosting for the Chloe rolls but not the other stuff and I found the buns were too dry. I also used dried cranberries instead of raisins, and they were a really good addition! I kinda want to try the other version (it's a youtube video) where she adds a can of cranberry sauce to the cinnamon filling. That sounds like gooey deliciousness.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:59 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i made the chewy ginger molasses cookies yesterday and they came out really good. also came out really pretty.
i used blackstrap molasses because it's all i have and they were still really yummy not too bitter or anything

they were comparable in taste to the blackstrap ginger cookies from VCTOYCJ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:53 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I made the pumpkin cinnamon rolls a couple of weeks ago and they were outstanding.

I also made the salted caramel cupcakes a while back and I seem to have had the same problem some others have had. They sunk in the middle and were super moist. They tasted good. The frosting was incredibly sweet though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:10 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i made the German Chocolate Cake for my husband's birthday and it tasted soooo yummy.

it has canned coconut milk in the batter and it makes it almost moussey puddingy like.
so moist and yummy.
however it calls for 2 cups of coconut milk in the cake and one can of coconut milk is like 1 2/3 cup. BUMMER! i actually had a tetra pack of drinking coconut milk that i used to make up the missing 1/3 cup and it worked fine.

i will say however the cake literally fell to pieces after i cut it. i kind of think it was my fault though.

the cakes may have needed a tiny bit more cooking and then i didnt cut the dome off the bottom layer and then i put a lot of filling in the middle so i think it was generally a very unstable cake!

so it fell apart into a billion pieces as soon as i cut it BUT it was SO yummy. just looked like crepe!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:41 am 

I made the pb cookies for Christmas and the first batch was *slightly* overdone because I forgot that I had made them smaller than the recipe suggests. They tasted bad when they were cooling on the rack, but 2 days later they taste SO good! I am really glad I didn't toss them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:37 am 
Saggy Butt

I made the baked chocolate donuts with the chocolate ganache. They were so good. I only made 1/2 the recipe and got 6 nice sized donuts. We gobbled up four of them right away. This was the closest thing to Devils Food Cake, if I remember that from long time ago. They tasted more cake like (dense, not soft and fluffy) than donut like but that was OK with me as I always tried to stay away from donuts in the past - too fattening, fried, too addicting. The ganache - OMG, I can just eat that right out of the pan.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next