| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1411, 1412, 1413, 1414, 1415, 1416, 1417 ... 1847  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:09 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Tofulish wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
The case in Cleveland is making it hard for me to remember why I'm adamantly anti-death penalty.

The death penalty wouldn't be applicable there anyway, unless there is a murder, that I don't know about (I haven't read of anything that would approach that except for the miscarriages).

This is the Supreme Court case that says that the death penalty is too harsh to be used in any case where the victim doesn't die. The facts of the case are pretty triggering. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennedy_v._Louisiana

Quote:
"The court concludes that there is a distinction between intentional first-degree murder, on the one hand, and non-homicide crimes against individuals, even including child rape, on the other. The latter crimes may be devastating in their harm, as here, but in terms of moral depravity and of the injury to the person and to the public, they cannot compare to murder in their severity and irrevocability." The opinion concluded that in cases of crimes against individuals, "the death penalty should not be expanded to instances where the victim’s life was not taken"

Unfortunately, the county prosecutor claims he's going to try for the death penalty for each of the miscarriages. I have huge problems with that. What he did was evil, but it wasn't murder. At least, not from the details that have been released so far.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:59 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yeah, death penalty had been mentioned. I have no idea if it's prosecutorial posturing or actual possibility, but either way, I can't find much outrage at the idea as easily as I normally would.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Sometimes I think that, but then I see someone who's probably innocent get executed or shiitake like what Jerome Manning is going through, with stay of execution within hours.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:19 pm 
WELFARIST!

I hate that something like dying my hair is so anxiety ridden. I put all of my fears into my hair. I don't know if that made any sense.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:12 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

PP, that would have scared the crepe out of me too.

It's Friday!!!!! A few more hours then I'm free of the buttwipes for 2 whole days!!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:24 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

^you know you can buy them at the shops for home use, yeah? by the dozen, even

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:29 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Hehe! I prefer the home variety. They stay in the bathroom where they are meant to be. The ones at work like to wander around the building wiping stinky poo all over the place and making everyone else miserable with their stink.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:49 am 

does anywhere besides Australia say "poop" in a way that rhymes with "whoops" or (kind of) "put"?

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:56 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I still don't understand why Internet Vegans lose their shiitake over kale and oreos. Both are fine, neither is amazeballs.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:59 am 

^add speculoos and nutritional yeast to the list!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:02 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Kale and Nooch I get... Speculoos and Oreos... Nope. But I'm a savory man.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:41 am 
WELFARIST!

Kale all the way, speculoos is too sweet and rich for me.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:51 am 

I'll take speculoos over kale any day

(as evidenced by the speculoos bikkies on my table right now..)

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:08 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Bikkies! The macaw asks for bikkies sometimes. Not as often these days, but that was one of the first words he learned from my mom.

Cointreau, Kahlua, amaretto, and fra Angelico might have been overkill. Too lazy to hunt up vodka and almond milk. I guess at least I refrained from dumping in some Sambucca. I need these cramps to go away already. I forgot that I had so much to choose from again since my aunt inexplicably sent me a giant box o'booze.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:31 am 
Ninja Master

Kale is gross. Speculoos, nooch and oreos are all awesome though.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:39 am 
Seagull of the PPK

joshua wrote:
does anywhere besides Australia say "poop" in a way that rhymes with "whoops" or (kind of) "put"?

i don't know if this is an irish thing or a brooklyn thing or (more likely) one of those weird intercultural things, but my grandma always said it that way, although usually as a plural. I never heard anyone else say it!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:44 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Honestly I am a little relieved that Speculoos is so expensive at my local supermarket because I can usually talk myself out of buying it. That stuff's dangerous.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:57 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I sort of get speculoos, but I was in to is for like, the whole winter when it was first available here.
but now I dunno, I taste it and it's just overwhelming and my throat closes up and I want to spit it out because SO MUCH SUGAR AND NOTHING ELSE.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:02 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

oh yeah, also:
I'm graduating tomorrow omg?
???
?
???????? ?
I feel like I'm supposed to be relived or excited or?
but I just need this piece of paper to keep studying what I love?
maybe being a non-trad in every institution ever has dampened my appreciation for social and educational milestones?

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:51 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

kilgore trout wrote:
Holy shiitake, PP! What an asparagus.

Yesterday morning I stopped at a gas station I don't normally go to on my way to my internship to grab a Clif bar (two forking dollars!) because I was super hungry, and the attendant was an older guy who made some really creepy comments about my body type which I tried to brush off as misguided compliments...until he asked me where I worked. I just kind of mumbled "Not around here" and hightailed it the fork out of there. In retrospect I wish I hadn't bothered to be like...mildly polite about it? I dunno, it keeps bugging me. And I hate that there's a weird part of me that's socialized to think that I'm being oversensitive and that it's a compliment when a perfect stranger tells me I'm slender because holy shiitake you have no right to say that, dude, and it's not a compliment, and I just want a goddamn snack, leave me the hell alone.

A few weeks ago I had a weird situation like this, except it was crazy awkward. One of my workstudies is a large girl. I'm sorry, I don't necessarily know how to say that in a PC way, but she is just bigger than me. It's not a big deal. She's totally self confident and awesome, and even if she wasn't self confident and awesome, it wouldn't matter. I am smallish. The old dean of our school came in for a meeting with the current dean and she and I were sitting side by side, working. He didn't recognize me at first (it's been probably 8 years since we last had a conversation), but then he did. He said, 'You look skinny.' No exclamation point or anything, just...a statement. What's totally dumb is that I weigh more than I did the last time he saw me, but whatever, that's not the point. I said, 'Um. Thanks? I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean by that...' And he said, 'It's a compliment.' And I just said, 'Ok, ok...' And then he left. Granted, this dude is like, 70, but that doesn't necessarily excuse that sort of thing. But I could sense her listening in...and it was just so weird. Like he said this thing to me in front of a heavier person, and saying it's a COMPLIMENT, just...I don't know...does that imply that her body type is not good enough for him? That's sort of how it felt. After he left, I turned to her and just said, 'Ok, wow, no one should ever say anything like that...I don't consider that a compliment. The way my body is shaped is nothing for someone to comment on.' And she said, 'Yeah, that was really rude.' And it was just so uncomfortable. I've told other people this story that immediately assume I felt uncomfortable because I ASSUMED she felt bad about herself, but that's not it. I just felt uncomfortable because he basically made a comparison between us without saying as much, and then walked away.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:04 am 
Seagull of the PPK

booberthefraggle wrote:
oh yeah, also:
I'm graduating tomorrow omg?
???
?
???????? ?
I feel like I'm supposed to be relived or excited or?
but I just need this piece of paper to keep studying what I love?
maybe being a non-trad in every institution ever has dampened my appreciation for social and educational milestones?

You are supposed to be frigging proud. good for you, super fraggle. you have made some amazing and awesome things!!

I am working like a house on fire and listening to Figaro and typing at, oh, approximately the speed of light. Yeeeeeeeha!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:26 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Nooch is amazing and Speculoos is awful. Oreos are awful and kale is yumtown.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:27 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

lavawitch wrote:
Yeah, death penalty had been mentioned. I have no idea if it's prosecutorial posturing or actual possibility, but either way, I can't find much outrage at the idea as easily as I normally would.

It outrages me because you change around the situation slightly - like say he had been at the house with the women and the cops knocked on the door. If the charge is the same for kidnapping and rape as it is for murder, why would he NOT murder the key witnesses against him? It's really the precedent that's scary.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:47 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I have wisdom teeth coming through and they KILL. Why is it not warm enough for ice cream?! That might help. It hurts even to eat bread. GRRR. Living off Rich Teas dunked in coffee.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:05 am 
Semen Strong

Fee wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

It outrages me because you change around the situation slightly - like say he had been at the house with the women and the cops knocked on the door. If the charge is the same for kidnapping and rape as it is for murder, why would he NOT murder the key witnesses against him? It's really the precedent that's scary.

That is very true, plus the problem with charging someone with 5 counts of murder for causing 5 miscarriages is that that is the kind of case that makes bad law. Today it is used against a kidnapper who beat his victim, but tomorrow it could be used against a mother whom prosecutors feel caused the death of her fetus. And sadly, that isn't that far-fetched in the US. Vehicular feticide is a crime in Georgia punishable by 15 years in prison.

http://www.alcoholismrehab.org/drunk-dr ... -accident/

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with charging someone for killing a fetus, but the charge should be for feticide rather than murder, because if its murder, then we're heading down the slippery slope to fetuses being legally treated like full human beings, and that can have repercussions on our abortion debates.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1411, 1412, 1413, 1414, 1415, 1416, 1417 ... 1847  Next