| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: pizzas at wholefoods (counting cheez as a "topping" now.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Our Whole Foods doesn't even put cheese on their vegan pizzas. They do like a sprinkle of cashew parm. That's when you order it off the bar anyway. I've never bought a whole pizza there. Slices are 2 (bigguns!) for $5. I can handle that.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:10 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I haven't had WF pizza in a while, but that is infuriating. And don't get me started on SB and the soy milk charge. I have an SB card and used to treat myself to a cinnamon dolce latte every week and it wasn't that bad with the free soy, but am no longer doing that. fork them. 60 extra cents is probably what they pay for a container of soy. peas me off just like the cheese thing. Nobody charges customers for cheese and real milk. Grrrr.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:32 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I've never bought vegan pizza from WF, but this thread is making me never want to start, haha.

Lack of convenience is also the hardest thing about veganism for me. I used to live in the delivery area for this pizza place that made GOOD Daiya pizzas and only charged $2 extra (for a large pie, which is not that obscene of a markup over dairy cheese.) But I've since moved and there's nothing like that around here. Of course I can make my own pizzas in the oven, but it's annoying if you're with a group of people and they're like "Hey! Let's order pizzas!" and there's no vegan option. Last time that happened I ended up eating really bland, soggy fries from the pizza parlor. Hip hip hooray.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:25 pm 
Inflexitarian

I order cheeseless dominos all the time. It's pretty good. Maybe I'm weird.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:32 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Doesn't Dominos' crust have dairy in it?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:56 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

The thin crust is vegan. But it's so thin that it's not filling at all, IMHO.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:41 pm 
***LIES!!!***

They don't charge extra for vegan cheese at our wf. They put a crazy buttload of daiya on there and we totally love it. Enough to pay the twenty bucks. After all, even if we manage to finish the pizza, which we usually don't, it's less than we'd pay to eat out or take out pretty much anywhere else. Their vegan pizza by the slice, though, is always bad because they make it with their multigrain crust which is an abomination. Even their regular crust isn't really a pizza crust, but we accept it for what it is.

I like how this thread brought back the Starbucks angst. I haven't gotten over mine. Recently someone gave me a gift card so I went in a few days in a row and it felt great to not give a crepe about the cost because it was already paid for. Otherwise I don't go anymore except in emotional crises that can't be fixed otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:02 pm 
***LIES!!!***

allularpunk wrote:

Also their owner is a major finder of operation save America (what was operation rescue) last I heard. Also their pizza is gross.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:33 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Ariann wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

Also their owner is a major finder of operation save America (what was operation rescue) last I heard. Also their pizza is gross.

It can still be vegan even if it's gross and funded by ridiculous politics.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:01 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Are we talking about the Dominoes founder or current owners? The founder is an ultra conservative Carholic fundamentalist (Ave Maria, Florida and Ave Maria University), but I've never heard much about current owners.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:56 pm 
Inflexitarian

Ariann wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

I know nothing of the politics of the company, but I quite love their pizza. Loads of veggies, good sauce and herbs on the top. I don't mind the thin crust as that's all I've really ever eaten. My dad always ordered Thin crust pizza from Pizza Hut. Now their pizza is gross.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:36 pm 
***LIES!!!***

allularpunk wrote:
Ariann wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

It can still be vegan even if it's gross and funded by ridiculous politics.

Well, sure, but it's gross and its politics are gross. Just thought people should know! If you mosey over to the Parlor, you can see that many vegans care quite a bit about such things and some vegans (like me) think oppression of women and oppression of animals are linked, so we might be curious about the connection of companies to furthering the oppression of women.

lavawitch, as far as I know the company has not ever changed hands. They are also challenging contraception coverage in the health care law, of course: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03 ... udge-says/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:43 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

From the article you linked: The company, which is not connected to Domino's Pizza, has 45 full-time and 44 part-time employees, according to its court filing. Monaghan sold his controlling stake in Domino's Pizza in 1998 to private equity company Bain Capital and sold his remaining Domino's stock in 2004, according to Domino's Pizza spokesman Chris Brandon.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03 ... z2RAEtb2mF

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:41 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Ariann wrote:
Well, sure, but it's gross and its politics are gross. Just thought people should know! If you mosey over to the Parlor, you can see that many vegans care quite a bit about such things and some vegans (like me) think oppression of women and oppression of animals are linked, so we might be curious about the connection of companies to furthering the oppression of women.

lavawitch, as far as I know the company has not ever changed hands. They are also challenging contraception coverage in the health care law, of course: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03 ... udge-says/

I understand and agree with you. That being said, this is not the parlor.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:13 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

supercarrot wrote:
poopie, that's horrible! talk about making you feel like you're inconveniencing them. yikes! (and a whole bag on one pizza? ack! hello toilet, my best friend. let's hang out for a few hours.)

taco, i don't think my WF has general tso's. (does your store use beyond meat?) mine does have some really tasty lettuce wraps though. but it's not something i'd eat if i were in the mood for a pizza. :-)

SC, our WF does have vegan general tso's. It's in the prepared food case over by the sushi. You have to have them dish it out for you. It's not beyond meat, its seitan. It's also freaking awesome and I wish I could still eat it.

And, our WF will sell you frozen pizza dough. White or brown, in a huge dough ball that could easily make two pizzas if you like a thinner crust. I used to make one huge mega pizza with it. I love their pizza dough! Also, wish I could still eat it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:34 am 

There is a restaurant here that has Daiya for pizza, and at first they counted it as a topping, then they stopped doing that and I was happy and complimented them on it, and they "liked" my compliment on Facebook, then the next time I went in they were counting it as a topping again. I asked about it and was given that line about it being expensive.

The thing that REALLY p's me off about the vegan tax is that we are subsidizing cow dairy with our income taxes in the U.S...part of the cost is paid by the government. So I've already had to pay for something I don't consume, then I have to pay a high price for the thing I really want to eat. I'd love for our tax dollars to stop going to subsidize cruelty.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:14 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

allularpunk wrote:
Ariann wrote:

I understand and agree with you. That being said, this is not the parlor.

Yeah guys, if you want to debate about Dominos and/or supporting businesses with politics you don't like, please start a new thread.

This thread just proves that someone always has it worse and better than you, so we're all free to bisque about whatever vegan thing we can't get. Unless you live in Portland or Austin, then STFU. Just kidding. Sort of.

The WF in Nashville wasn't very vegan-friendly if we're talking about the food bar and bakery stuff. I remember being able to get a really good selection of local raw desserts and a couple of cookies, but that was about it. Baked tofu on the salad bar and stuff like that. This was all pre-Daiya, though. And then the WF in St. Louis is also lacking in that department because St. Louis is big, but still not super-vegan-friendly, but since it's so close to Chicago you can get Chicago Diner cake and I hear they carry Upton's wraps now too.

If the pizza is not that great, I wouldn't keep buying it if you lose a topping. If something is really good, i'm happy to pay the vegan tax. But I won't buy something sub-par just because it's one of the few vegan conveniences I can get (don't ever ask me about the HFS and their awful vegan cupcakes).

But I just moved to a place where I can't get soy yogurt, so fork all y'all.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:21 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Can I just point out again that there is no evidence that Dominoes is woman unfriendly. The media is just using the "dominoes founder" line as a hook to an article about a tiny company nobody cares about.

Not trying to prolong the discussion, but it seems unfair to just leave that hanging there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:40 pm 
***LIES!!!***

lavawitch, thanks for that, I was misinformed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:05 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Ariann wrote:
lavawitch, thanks for that, I was misinformed.

Misinformation seems the point of that article. Journalism at its finest. Actually, I think I'm going to bring it to my GeD glass tonight because we are discussing staying on topic and not using extraneous details. I have a small, nice group, so I know we can use it without getting bogged in politics.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:05 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Going back on topic: we have a pizza place here in Baltimore called Brink Oven Pizza which has a really big pizza made with Follow Your Heart. We also have a Two Boots which has the V for Vegan pizza which is realllllly good. But around where I live the only place that delivers is Papa Johns which we frequently order from. Their bread sticks and garlic sauce...mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:17 pm 

oooh! I just heard about Two Boots Pizza and i'm really excited. I think they sub daiya for $1, which is certainly reasonable. I too usually go for the papa john's route. I find i don't miss the cheese as long as it is covered in veggies and garlic sauce.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:23 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've only ever had vegan cheese pizza in Berlin, and while it was awesome, I always just get pizza from small italian pizza places. Extra tomato sauce, lots of herbs, onions, olives, potatoes, artichoke, pineapple etc, and then I make them top it off with garlic oil. It's delicious and totally recommendable - but it has to be decent italian pizza! Otherwise it's just like an open faced sandwich.
I would love the option of vegan cheese pizza from a pizzeria, but it's not something that I miss. It seems like Denmark is pretty far behind in the fake meat and fake cheese options - it exists, but it's crazy expensive, far between and not something you can get in any restaurant or takeaway place.

What I would REALLY love was a reliable source of nooch - I can only get a somewhat bland tasting, 18 dollars for 2-3 cups kind here.