| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Introduction
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:56 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi I am Tracy. I am attempting to transition to a vegan diet for various health reasons. I cook/eat a lot of vegetarian meals and I have experimented with vegan and raw meals before. I am a cookbook junkie as well and have several vegan and raw cookbooks in my collection. I joined PPK because I really like the exchange of ideas on the forums. Additionally, I will need some support during this period. Though many of my friends will be supportive there are other friends who will be critical or will put a lot of pressure on me to follow a vegan diet religiously. My life is stressful enough and though I know my friends love me and want what is best for me, I really don't think my diet is their business. At this point I am not volunteering any diet status to them. From what I have so far read this is a safe harbor for me. If there are other newbie threads tackling the issue of critical friends please point me in that direction. I hope everyone has a safe week ahead!

Post subject: Re: Introduction
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:06 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Hmm, if you're worried about people pressuring you to follow a vegan diet religiously, maybe hesitate to use the term "vegan" at first. I still called myself a vegan when i was in the transitional period and still had the occasional bagel with cream cheese and was phasing out the almost-vegan products in my pantry, but no one i was friends with really knew what a vegan diet was. You can just say "I'm exploring vegan options" or something similar. Most importantly, no matter what you say and what they say, remember that your body is your own, and it is your choice to put what you want in it.