| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Why is my parent looking back at me from the mirror?
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:39 pm 
Dead by dawn

People who only know my mom say I look exactly like her. People who only knew my dad said I look exactly like him. I don't usually really see either, although sometimes I'll catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror and absolutely see my mom for a split second. I do have both of their senior portraits and can definitely see myself in their younger selves. I can see the combination of them in my figure. I 100% have my mom's body-type, but she's fine-boned and very thin. I am just a sturdier version of her (with a butt) thanks to my dad's genes.

Personality-wise I am not much like either one. Closer to my mom, but that's not surprising since my dad's personality was broken by alcoholism and I spent more growing up time with my mom.

Health-wise, thankfully, I seem to lean more in the direction of my mom's side of the family. My dad and his mother both had hypertension and his biological father died young, presumably of heart problems. My mom and I have low-normal bp and her parents lived forever.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:38 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

My mother decided that she wants to go to my hairdresser (in her ongoing effort to copy everything I do). Today, my hairdresser said, "Wow, you look SO much like your mom!" ughughugh. I hate hearing that. I don't even think it's that true. I look a lot like my dad, too!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:57 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

My sisters and I recently looked at old pictures of my mom, and they pointed at me and said "You look just like Mommy!" (Yes, we still call my mom Mommy, but that's because she passed when we were kids.) Anyway, I'm kinda happy I look like my mom. She was pretty dang cool, and it'll be interesting to see what I'll look like at age 35 compared to her because she had 5 kids by then and I'll have none at that age. Just 10 more years...

Also, what I do remember about my mom is that I have ONE of her big toes. haha. Yes, I'm weird and I remember what my mom's right big toe looked like... My left big toe looks just like my dad's. I definitely have seen his big toe recently, and mine is exactly the same as his (except I have my paternal grandfather's bunion, so maybe I actually have his left big toe...)

WEIRD!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:57 pm 
Like Anal, But Backwards

My dad's starting to act more and more like his dad.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:58 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I have my mom's body and my dad's temper. Awesome combo, not.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:30 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I look a lot like my Mum and my sister looks a lot like my dad.

Personality wise.....Oy.....scary thought.

Actually, this thread made me want to dig up a bit about intergenerational violence. My folks both come from extremely abusive backgrounds. My Mum's dad would beat the shiitake out of my Mum and her brothers, and when she married my dad he disowned her. Oh, and her Mum called her a hors d'oeuvre (for marrying my dad). My grandma on my Mums side is a nice enough person, but very meek- so she never intervened to help the kids. My dads Mum tried to off herself a couple times when my dad was around age 12-15.....and he (my dad) and not her alcoholic boyfriend was always the one who had to save her. His dad was the classic deadbeat dad- I haven't ever met him.

Anyways- I've been examining how this dynamic has turned out in my childhood/life. It's weird because they appear to be the perfect parents- and they tried very hard to break the cycle of violence. I'm the only non-cognitively impaired kid my folks have, so my sister is a bit protected by this, but not completely. Anyways- has anyone experienced this? Sorry if this derails the threads topic...

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:09 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i am reviving this thread because yesterday i drove to a meeting wearing a ski hat, and took it off right before and i looked like something that had crawled out from under a rock, and this is Brazil and you Do Not Do That, especially if you're female. I looked like the saddest muppet and just didn't really care, and flashed back to my teen years and being so embarrassed about my mother not giving a crepe about how she looked. I am now officially my mother.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:42 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Everyone in my family is tall except for me and my paternal grandmother. She lived for 92 years so I'm hoping I have her genes. We all have our paternal grandfather's (and dad's) nose though.

My older brother looks so much like a younger version of my dad that it's scary and his son looks like a younger version of him. Like triplets born thirty years apart.