| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me understand rain boots
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:18 am 
WRETCHED

On the heels of the fingerless gloves discussion, can someone clue me in on rain boots?

Like I bought some winter boots which I wear when it is cold/snowy and I would imagine rain boots would be for when it is rainy, not so cold? Are you supposed to wear them to your destination (like work) and then change shoes? Or are they an all day shoe? Are they generally comfortable?

Reason I'm asking is I wore my first skirt in a couple years a few days ago and I really liked it. I was thinking that maybe I'd get a non winter boot to wear with skirts and when I went looking, I saw quite a few rain boots. Are those good with skirts? I'm also clueless fashion wise. I don't do well with heels so I was looking at relatively low/minimal heels.

Post subject: Re: Help me understand rain boots
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:50 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Rainboots, to me, are a mild wet weather shoe. I'd wear them in the rain but not the snow - they aren't insulated so they would be freezing. As far as where to wear them, I wear them out grocery shopping, to the mall, etc, etc if it's weather appropriate. I wouldn't wear them out to dinner or at the office. I wear them TO work, but then change shoes once I'm here. Hope that makes sense!

Last edited by paprikapapaya on Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:14 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

paprikapapaya wrote:
Rainboots, to me, are a mild wet weather shoe. I'd wear them in the rain but not the snow - they are insulated so they would be freezing. As far as where to wear them, I wear them out grocery shopping, to the mall, etc, etc if it's weather appropriate. I wouldn't wear them out to dinner or at the office. I wear them TO work, but then change shoes once I'm here. Hope that makes sense!

Yeah this is pretty much how I use them.

When its pouring but too hot for insulated/ warm weather boots I pull out my rain boots and change when I get to work.

They are comfortable enough to wear for several hours at a stretch- I just don't like they way they look with office-type clothes but you need to remember that I am old and have no style.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:18 pm 
WRETCHED

Ok that makes sense. I'm old too :) I never had rain boots growing up so never quite understood them. I actually used to think they were to be worn over your shoes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:39 pm 
Dead by dawn

linanil wrote:
Ok that makes sense. I'm old too :) I never had rain boots growing up so never quite understood them. I actually used to think they were to be worn over your shoes.

I had rain boots when I was a little kid that did go over your shoes. Now I have a pair because there's a good portion of the year here that's wet but mild. I wear them to work and then change shoes but, yeah, I'd wear them to the grocery store or something. They're reasonably comfy and roomy enough to wear thick-ish socks with them. Mine are black with old-timey sailor style "tattoos" on them - I <3 them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:47 pm 
Chard Martyr

My rain boots (I call them wellies, even though I have no business calling them that because I'm not European, but I want to feel like I am... anyway....) are way too cold to be worn in anything but rain. However, last winter, I found some nice thermal sock-like things that you can purchase that go in the wellies to keep the feet warm. Mine are knee-high, and rubber is not very giving, material-wise, so as has been said, I wish I had the option of changing into different shoes at my destination.

Rubber + ice/freezing temps = not good.
Rubber + puddles = fun times!
linanil wrote:
Reason I'm asking is I wore my first skirt in a couple years a few days ago and I really liked it. I was thinking that maybe I'd get a non winter boot to wear with skirts and when I went looking, I saw quite a few rain boots. Are those good with skirts? I'm also clueless fashion wise. I don't do well with heels so I was looking at relatively low/minimal heels.

For wearing with skirts when it's not raining, you could get a pair of boots with no heels that are in brown or black that could go with a lot of different outfits!
... or did you already get your dress boots and were just asking about rain boots? Either way, yay for dresses and I'm glad you liked it!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:54 pm 
Bought $40 worth of Stonewall's Jerquee

It's funny to me that rain boots are so popular in North America as when I was growing up in Ireland (it rains didn't ya know!) you couldn't pay us to wear wellies. You could probably pay me now but that's cause I know what money is.
We had the option of green or black. The fanciest you could get were ones with a liner. All I remember is my feet freezing in them and them being two sizes too big.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:57 pm 
Chard Martyr

djsuz wrote:
It's funny to me that rain boots are so popular in North America as when I was growing up in Ireland (it rains didn't ya know!) you couldn't pay us to wear wellies. You could probably pay me now but that's cause I know what money is.
We had the option of green or black. The fanciest you could get were ones with a liner. All I remember is my feet freezing in them and them being two sizes too big.

Wellies are to you as umbrellas are to me.
And they are freaking cold!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:35 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

paprikapapaya wrote:
Rainboots, to me, are a mild wet weather shoe. I'd wear them in the rain but not the snow - they aren't insulated so they would be freezing. As far as where to wear them, I wear them out grocery shopping, to the mall, etc, etc if it's weather appropriate. I wouldn't wear them out to dinner or at the office. I wear them TO work, but then change shoes once I'm here. Hope that makes sense!

pretty much this. i would wear them as an all-day shoe casually, but not to work. when i was a kid i never wanted to wear rain or winter boots, and now i think they are just magical. i love going out in ill weather and still having dry feet!