| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Soil for raised beds?
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:44 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

San Diego! I mean, they mulch greenery and probably don't intend to do composting per se, but since I know my kitchen scraps are good, I toss them in.

I'm afraid of doing my own backyard composting because in this magical kingdom where I have a bunch of fruit trees I also have tree rats who would probably love compost.

But do come visit! We can go to the dump!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:50 pm 
Tofu Pup

snarkyvegan wrote:
Michele LeAnn wrote:
To feed the soil in a compost-y way without the actual work of a compost heap, I just bury my kitchen scraps deep down into the beds.

I've done that myself and call it "in situ composting", no idea if there's actually a term for it. When I was a kid living in the country (circa 1976), my grandma would just throw the scraps "out yonder in the garden." She didn't even bury them.

I think the term I've seen most used is the "dig and drop" method. Who knows if that's the official term though, lol.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:14 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

snarkyvegan wrote:
BTW, if you need good vegan fertilizer and don't want to make your own, there's a vegan CSA farm out west that sells their own blend. I bought a bag and use it in all my flower pots and the raised beds that need a boost.
http://www.growveganic.com/

There's another one I can't recall the name of but it's made by a company that also sells animal products (blood/feather/bone meals).

You probably mean "Down to Earth," out of Eugene, OR. I think they used to sell from their website but stopped. Now you can buy their stuff on Amazon - and I know quite a few nurseries (and even my grocery store) in Portland carry their vegan fertilizer mix! I like it a lot.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:33 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

~Sz wrote:
One thing about raised beds vs the ground -- be sure to ask about any manure / enriched soil. You don't want it to be too hot. Actively composting soil and manure creates its own heat. I'm not exactly sure how to explain this so it makes sense.

Are you talking about bags of chicken/steer manure or bags of potting soil enriched with manure? You should only use manure in small amounts as fertilizer - not as a potting soil - but the enriched bags of potting soil should be fine for a planting base. You need a fairly big pile, such as an active 4' pile of compost (or an enclosed environment like the compost tumblers) to generate enough heat to damage plants! But too much manure/nitrogen in a mix can chemically burn plants.

And fresh manure from many species - not just cats, dogs, humans - can carry pathogens, which is why organic farmers have to age/compost manure before use. I think rabbit and horse manure are pretty safe, but someone correct me if I'm wrong!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:39 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Jill wrote:
Are you talking about bags of chicken/steer manure or bags of potting soil enriched with manure? You should only use manure in small amounts as fertilizer - not as a potting soil - but the enriched bags of potting soil should be fine for a planting base. You need a fairly big pile, such as an active 4' pile of compost (or an enclosed environment like the compost tumblers) to generate enough heat to damage plants! But too much manure/nitrogen in a mix can chemically burn plants.

Exactly; potting soil is fine for raised beds, just as it is fine for pots. That is what to look for.

The enriched soil that is not potting soil is what one needs to watch out for. At the nursery we go to it isn't labeled as manure, it is labelled just as enriched and described as too hot for pots. I'm not sure what is in it since I don't use it!

Thank for for the scientific clarification. I guess the go-to is to always ask since the bags are sometimes vaguely labelled.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:31 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

We're building raised beds this year, my compost bin is so heavy I can barely turn it so i'm excited to finally be able to dump it out. I'm also going to get some topsoil (cheap) and mushroom compost, does it matter how I layer these?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:36 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i wouldn't think so. but then again, you don't want the mushroom soil on top since it's essentially poop, and compost actually makes a decent mulch. so i guess as long as the mushroom soil is covered up, you should be fine.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:45 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I am a gardening noob and today I picked up Eco scraps potting mixed for a raised bed that I still need to put together. Anyone know if this will be ok? Not sure what I plan to grow yet (vegetables, possibly tomatoes, onions, maybe green beans)

I didn't really think that potting mix would matter.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:03 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

well, potting mix is better for pots. raised beds would do better with a more substantial soil like topsoil mixed with compost.