| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214 ... 546  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:44 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yeah, it kind of bugs me that gluten free and vegan go hand in hand so often. I am super happy that GF folks have options now and I sympathize with people who struggle to find options in restaurants, but damn. I'd rather not get lumped in with the gluten free people.

Also, I'm frustrated that so many people are doing the GF thing now because it's the latest trend and they think it's going to give them some magical health benefits. Some of the local vegan meetups I've gone to lately are full of the vegan + GF crowd, which means anything I make for a potluck has to be gluten free. I'm starting to not want to go to the meetups for this reason. I could make awesome cupcakes with affordable wheat flour, or I could spend my entire food budget for the week on buying GF flours and binders for people who don't really need them.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:59 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

most GF people i meet do it for stupid reasons....they will get super skinny or pregnant in the case of my boyfriend's team leader. she did get pregnant but i doubt it was because she went gf...

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:33 pm 
Chip Strong

OMG, that bugs the hell out of me. My Aunt (who I love to death but OMG lady...), who has done the gluten free thing a billion times to try to lose weight. She's also done that HGC injection thing (using homeopathic tintures), paleo, and god knows what else, these were just in the last few years... It makes me really sad. She's a really smart person and I don't get how she buys into this craziness.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:55 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

kimba wrote:
Yep. "Yeast is alive, right?"

Yes, whenever I've gotten the yeast thing from people they think it's not vegan because active yeast is alive.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:38 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

In my experience, most of the time it doesn't mean much when a server says something at a restaurant is GF anyway...it might be GF, but it's likely not really because it hides in too many things that most people don't think about unless they have to eat GF themselves. Some restaurants put a lot of effort into getting it right, but the majority don't.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:09 pm 
Inflexitarian

lepelaar wrote:
kimba wrote:
Yep. "Yeast is alive, right?"

Yes, whenever I've gotten the yeast thing from people they think it's not vegan because active yeast is alive.

I've gotten this a couple of times, but I didn't realize folks actually thought that way. I assumed they were making a bad joke.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:07 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Yeast is active. It rides a bike to work where it makes the bread rise by doing jumping jacks in the flour. Mighty yeast!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:11 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Hilarious.

The lady who said that to me was reading ingredients to see why something at a restaurant wasn't labeled as vegan (they label their vegan items). She read the ingredients and thought it was the yeast because it is alive. Turned out it was the honey.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:15 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

At the beginning of the seminar they read out loud the list of people who had ordered vegetarian/gluten free meals and I had to raise my hand when they called my name as being the only vegan. Some people's names were accidentally called for vegetarian meals and they stated strongly that they were not vegetarians and everyone laughed. Because being a vegetarian and not loving meat is ridiculous. I was served roasted vegetables on a bed of rice. It wasn't bad, but it was a portion for a 6 year old child. I guess vegans can get by on 200 calories for lunch when everyone else has a full plate of food. One of my tablemates started off conversation at lunch about how much he "loves vegetables" which was odd. I think he was feeling a touch guilty/threatened/defensive about his chicken. Another tablemate bitched that she was served too much food, and her giant piece of chocolate cake for desert was too big and too rich. Then she apologized for complaining as I ate my tiny scoop of melon sorbet, which had bits of unchewable seeds in it. But hey, I got to eat warm food and not my emergency Lara bar so I call it a success overall.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:08 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i had a breakfast meeting in a cafe and was treated to the "but it must be so haaaaaard for you" thing. as the other folks were eating muffins that looked absolutely repulsive. ecka. believe me, it's not hard to keep the disgusting crepe out of my mouth. not at all, actually.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:39 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

the forking comments here for the most part just forking makes me say fork!

http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=5760&catId=2

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:52 pm 
Semen Strong

I thought this was a fascinating blog by a small scale dairy farmer - he has only 200 cows and knows them by name and thinks he is a really God-fearing and kind man who cares about the animals. Reading it, and many of his misconceptions made me realize how dairy farmers think a little more. http://orangepatchdairy.blogspot.com/20 ... their.html

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:27 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

missmuffcake wrote:

Hoo boy. Those people need to chillax. A nutter butter must've killed their dad or something. I wasn't aware that the definition of vegan is "doesn't eat white sugar."

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:03 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

couroupita wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:

Hoo boy. Those people need to chillax. A nutter butter must've killed their dad or something. I wasn't aware that the definition of vegan is "doesn't eat white sugar."

OREOS ARE NOT VEGAN. OREOS HAVE BONE-CHAR SUGAR. STOP CALLING YOURSELF VEGAN.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:07 am 
Chip Strong

And those comments are why people give the "OMG YOU MUST BE CRAZY" face when someone says they're vegan.

Excuse me while I got eat my gmo, non-organic, bone-char sugar and palm oil filled oreos. I am such a bad person.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:31 am 

When people find out I'm vegan and want to "bond", so they start talking about how they know someone who is vegetarian! Or how they don't eat meat with every meal! Or how they ate some beans once and didn't throw up! Annoys me as much as the "I could never do that I would diie!" comments.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:59 am 
Ninja Master

missmuffcake wrote:

!!

"true vegans do not eat anything with white sugar....do not be swayed...it must be organic and not processed!"

shiitake, I'm doing this all wrong guys.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:08 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

A comment I got on a tofu recipe I pinned on pinterest:

"Yucky I'm not making or eating that nasty carcinogen buger I will never stick that poisonous crepe in my body ever. Soy causes thyroid cancer makes kids delvop at a younger age and causes other health problems I will never put that carcinogen crepe in my body ever."

Sure sounds like one of those weirdo health vegans to me.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:21 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Most people who hear Im vegan will either ignore it, get hostile, ask me if it's difficult/why I do it ... AND say "Oh, I dont eat much meat anyway." Why do they always say that? Do they expect a pat on the head? And everyone says it, people who eat meat once a week and people who eat it with every meal.

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:28 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Love Child wrote:

"Yucky I'm not making or eating that nasty carcinogen buger I will never stick that poisonous crepe in my body ever. Soy causes thyroid cancer makes kids delvop at a younger age and causes other health problems I will never put that carcinogen crepe in my body ever."

I follow you on pinterest and just saw that. I don't know if it's a health food vegan or an omni, but it's forking rude. Who comments on someone else's pin like that? Don't like it? Just move on to the next pin. what the fizzle? I know he's probably just a troll, (I notice he doesn't have a single pin himself) but I couldn't resist responding.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:31 am 
WELFARIST!

The vegan police are back on my instagram. Hey, if I tag something as vegan? It's forking vegan. Don't be all like, 'What's the white stuff?' about the fake cream cheese on my bagel. Derp, it's vegan cream cheese! Or do I live in a world where other vegans really don't know that vegan cream cheese exists?

(Yes, I know that some new vegans and also non vegans probably don't know about vegan cream cheese. It still makes me stabby.)

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:34 am 

Love Child wrote:

Sounds like a paleo omni to me. There's a lot of misinformation about soy floating around as fact around that community (which has a huge overlap with the gluten free community, and drives me nuts).

VeganinBerlin wrote:
Most people who hear Im vegan will either ignore it, get hostile, ask me if it's difficult/why I do it ... AND say "Oh, I dont eat much meat anyway." Why do they always say that? Do they expect a pat on the head? And everyone says it, people who eat meat once a week and people who eat it with every meal.

I was just talking about this with a friend yesterday -- how an omni always claims they don't eat much meat when confronted with a vegetarian of any sort. And then they eat it 2 or 3 times a day, and when you go to their house they never have anything without meat in it.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:48 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

baps wrote:

"true vegans do not eat anything with white sugar....do not be swayed...it must be organic and not processed!"

That person posted that a few times, I wanted to see what else they posted - looked on their FB and they are posting that over there too. Wow, kinda sad.

Love Child wrote:

Reminds me of some of these people on a 'healthy living' community I read that is tied to a book. Soy is soooooo bad but paleo is okay! Agave = the devils drug, bad stuff there! Some crazy thoughts. I think diet/lifestyle authors are like those Kool-Aid pushing religious leaders...

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:53 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

karichelle wrote:
Love Child wrote:

Sounds like a paleo omni to me. There's a lot of misinformation about soy floating around as fact around that community (which has a huge overlap with the gluten free community, and drives me nuts)./quote]

Yeah, could be paleo omni as well, they're pretty similar to "health vegans" in many ways, I've noticed.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:48 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Recently, I've been having to deal with guys that I previously dated being like, "Yeah I dated her. She's vegan" or some crepe like that. He wasn't vegan, veg for a while actually because he wanted to try it out. But he apparently said it as if to say "yeah, that's what I had to deal with". forking lame.

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214 ... 546  Next