| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1421, 1422, 1423, 1424, 1425, 1426, 1427 ... 1847  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:04 am 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 3634
Location: Nashville, TN
Hey guys! If you have a yorkie that needs to be groomed, and you can't tell the groomer what you want, and she has to really drill you to get "about an inch all over," please don't come back two hours after you pick up the dog and say it was supposed to have a schnauzer head. No one said the word "schnauzer!" Go away.

Yesterday was annoying.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:44 am 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 4902
Location: WV
I found a bag full of first, second, and third place ribbons in the storage space that was going to be thrown away...and I kept them. So now that's a part of my life. Yesterday, I gave T a first place ribbon for being the best boyfriend, and then last night I dreamed that someone gave me a second place ribbon for something, but I can't remember what, but it bummed me out. I'm pretty pumped to just randomly hand out ribbons for things now. I imagine that, at first, I'll be pretty liberal about it...just giving out ribbons all the damn time, and then as my supply dwindles it'll be more of a big deal because the ribbons will be scarce. Also, second and third place ribbons will only be given out ironically and in good humor.

I am giving this way too much thought. I feel drunk with power...the power of handing out ribbons. Also, there is one best in show ribbon that is going to have to wait for a really, really special occasion. What will it be??

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:02 am 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 2820
Location: Boston, MA
Efcliz wrote:
8ball wrote:
Your boob must be comfortable!

I've noticed that a lot of young adults in Nottingham punctuate every segment of their sentences with the word 'like' and make their statements sound like questions. I haven't noticed it in any other city I've been to recently. I can't, like, think of any reason for them to, like, speak in this way except that perhaps they, like, aren't really sure about what they're, like, saying? Once I notice it I can't un-notice and start inwardly counting the 'like's in each statement.


Stoke too!

This is really common in the US now with teens and 20-somethings in particular, I've noticed...must have migrated over to you guys.

_________________
"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:50 am 
Offline
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:39 pm
Posts: 3962
Location: the Eug
allularpunk wrote:
I found a bag full of first, second, and third place ribbons in the storage space that was going to be thrown away...and I kept them. So now that's a part of my life. Yesterday, I gave T a first place ribbon for being the best boyfriend, and then last night I dreamed that someone gave me a second place ribbon for something, but I can't remember what, but it bummed me out. I'm pretty pumped to just randomly hand out ribbons for things now. I imagine that, at first, I'll be pretty liberal about it...just giving out ribbons all the damn time, and then as my supply dwindles it'll be more of a big deal because the ribbons will be scarce. Also, second and third place ribbons will only be given out ironically and in good humor.

I am giving this way too much thought. I feel drunk with power...the power of handing out ribbons. Also, there is one best in show ribbon that is going to have to wait for a really, really special occasion. What will it be??


I love this! This would work so well in conjunction with an idea I had yesterday for a huge collaborative project.

I had dinner last night with someone I need to stop referring to as a friend and start referring to as an acquaintance. She could be an amazing person. She is angry at me and my art partner because we do the things she wants. But she never joins in the things we do and she never does them for herself. And even when I am angry with her for the way she treats us... mostly I am so sad at how sad she really is.

_________________
Don't mind my breasts and vagina, I'm a gay man.---Idatetatooedguys.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:50 am 
Offline
Keepin' It Seal
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:32 pm
Posts: 3773
Location: PORTLAND!
choirqueer wrote:
joyfulgirl wrote:
I did it! They look awesome. Also, the friend I'm making this for just texted me to ask if any store-bought frosting is vegan. She's making me vegan cupcakes to have at the party! And this is why I put in the effort to make her son an awesome play kitchen.


Pictures!!

Here's a sample pic. Nothing is glued in place yet, but this is the plan. and those are the knobs I spray painted during my lunch break :)
Image

_________________
Because my big floppy labia make it soooo hard to park! --Erika Soyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:01 am 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:35 pm
Posts: 6649
Location: Norristown, PA
joyfulgirl wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
joyfulgirl wrote:
I did it! They look awesome. Also, the friend I'm making this for just texted me to ask if any store-bought frosting is vegan. She's making me vegan cupcakes to have at the party! And this is why I put in the effort to make her son an awesome play kitchen.


Pictures!!

Here's a sample pic. Nothing is glued in place yet, but this is the plan. and those are the knobs I spray painted during my lunch break :)
Image


You're amazing. This is amazing. :D

_________________
Man, fork the gender card, imma come at you with the whole damned gender deck. - Olives
Did you ever think that, like, YOU are a sexy costume FOR a diva cup? - solipsistnation
blog! FB!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:04 am 
Offline
Seagull of the PPK
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:46 pm
Posts: 7895
Location: Brasil
Quarantined wrote:
Efcliz wrote:
8ball wrote:
Your boob must be comfortable!

I've noticed that a lot of young adults in Nottingham punctuate every segment of their sentences with the word 'like' and make their statements sound like questions. I haven't noticed it in any other city I've been to recently. I can't, like, think of any reason for them to, like, speak in this way except that perhaps they, like, aren't really sure about what they're, like, saying? Once I notice it I can't un-notice and start inwardly counting the 'like's in each statement.


Stoke too!

This is really common in the US now with teens and 20-somethings in particular, I've noticed...must have migrated over to you guys.

i think i first heard this in the mid 80s, like walkman-era. it was labeled "valleygirl talk" and supposedly came from California.
I had a teacher in middle school who forbid the word in her classroom, written or oral. It was rather complicated.

[here we have the same thing but the word is "tipo", sounds like "cheapo"]

_________________
Buddha says 'Meh'.--matwinser
I'm just a drunk who likes fruit. -- Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:20 am 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 2820
Location: Boston, MA
torque wrote:
Quarantined wrote:
This is really common in the US now with teens and 20-somethings in particular, I've noticed...must have migrated over to you guys.

i think i first heard this in the mid 80s, like walkman-era. it was labeled "valleygirl talk" and supposedly came from California.
I had a teacher in middle school who forbid the word in her classroom, written or oral. It was rather complicated.

[here we have the same thing but the word is "tipo", sounds like "cheapo"]

yeah, the disturbing thing is I feel like it's become mainstream and acceptable in the US, not sure about other places. I even hear people using "like" constantly in work and professional settings. Whereas during the valley girl era it seemed more like a subculture thing, and then became something only preteens did, and were chastised for.

_________________
"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:24 am 
Offline
Keepin' It Seal
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:32 pm
Posts: 3773
Location: PORTLAND!
choirqueer wrote:
joyfulgirl wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
Pictures!!

Here's a sample pic. Nothing is glued in place yet, but this is the plan. and those are the knobs I spray painted during my lunch break :)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8258/8746688161_715321921d.jpg


You're amazing. This is amazing. :D

<3 Thank youuu! <3

_________________
Because my big floppy labia make it soooo hard to park! --Erika Soyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:38 am 
Offline
Not a creepy cheese pocket person
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 3971
Location: Austin
Quarantined wrote:
torque wrote:
Quarantined wrote:
This is really common in the US now with teens and 20-somethings in particular, I've noticed...must have migrated over to you guys.

i think i first heard this in the mid 80s, like walkman-era. it was labeled "valleygirl talk" and supposedly came from California.
I had a teacher in middle school who forbid the word in her classroom, written or oral. It was rather complicated.

[here we have the same thing but the word is "tipo", sounds like "cheapo"]

yeah, the disturbing thing is I feel like it's become mainstream and acceptable in the US, not sure about other places. I even hear people using "like" constantly in work and professional settings. Whereas during the valley girl era it seemed more like a subculture thing, and then became something only preteens did, and were chastised for.

I've never understood why this bothers people. Filler words like these are really common across all cultures. Eh, um, ah, em, so, well. You probably have one you don't even notice that you use.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:43 am 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 2820
Location: Boston, MA
Well, I just think it sounds bad, but I understand this might become a heated topic. We all have our peeves and preferences about language usage, and I'm sure I use filler words and expressions that might annoy some people.

_________________
"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:18 am 
Offline
Just Loathin' Around!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:17 pm
Posts: 7116
Location: bindlestiff
joyfulgirl wrote:
Here's a sample pic. Nothing is glued in place yet, but this is the plan. and those are the knobs I spray painted during my lunch break :)
Image

This is awesome!!

_________________
Ovoids=not vegan --invictus

Panda With Cookie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:53 am 
Offline
Impressive boner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:57 pm
Posts: 4031
Location: Nottingham.
mollyjade wrote:
I've never understood why this bothers people. Filler words like these are really common across all cultures. Eh, um, ah, em, so, well. You probably have one you don't even notice that you use.


It doesn't bother me as such, I just noticed it yesterday being on a bus with many university students. Lots of them were using the exact same filler word and phrasing statements as questions. I notice 'um' and 'erm' a lot too. When people use these several times in any sentence I get very distracted and focus on them rather than what is being said.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:15 am 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:20 pm
Posts: 484
Location: somewhere in London, loving my life in the rain
I feel sure 'Like' has been punctuating speech for several years wherever I've been, certainly in London.

mollyjade wrote:
I've never understood why this bothers people. Filler words like these are really common across all cultures. Eh, um, ah, em, so, well. You probably have one you don't even notice that you use.

People recognise filler words as filler words though and don't tend to type them when writing unless making a point of the hesitation. But I often see 'like' written as a normal word in the text (for example I often see it on ppk!) which I always notice, because I find it like sooo strange to type it - but I'm old!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:23 am 
Offline
Dead by dawn
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 pm
Posts: 7799
Location: Seattle
rentaghost wrote:
I feel sure 'Like' has been punctuating speech for several years wherever I've been, certainly in London.

mollyjade wrote:
I've never understood why this bothers people. Filler words like these are really common across all cultures. Eh, um, ah, em, so, well. You probably have one you don't even notice that you use.

People recognise filler words as filler words though and don't tend to type them when writing unless making a point of the hesitation. But I often see 'like' written as a normal word in the text (for example I often see it on ppk!) which I always notice, because I find it like sooo strange to type it - but I'm old!!

I don't say 'like' as a pure filler word, although it still creeps in excessively when I mean 'about' or 'approximately' as in "I ran like 5 miles." I definitely, like, type it sometimes as, like, a filler word but only ironically! Sometimes I want my post read in that voice to make a point. I would think typing it was strange if I didn't think someone was doing it on purpose. But I am old too.

_________________
facebook
"The PPK: Come for the pie; stay for the croissants." - tinglepants!
"Cockblocked by Richard Branson- again!" - Erika Soyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:35 am 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:20 pm
Posts: 484
Location: somewhere in London, loving my life in the rain
I had a work colleague who used to say 'sort of' as her filler. Once I noticed it it drove me mad as she'd say it once, twice or sometimes even three times in most sentences! Not many fillers are two syllables, I used to think about how much longer it took her than necessary to say anything!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:42 am 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 2536
Location: Connecticut
mollyjade wrote:
I've never understood why this bothers people. Filler words like these are really common across all cultures. Eh, um, ah, em, so, well. You probably have one you don't even notice that you use.

I agree with this. One of my professors in the education department is pretty blatant about her hatred of the like-habit, but I listened to her lecture for 3 hours a week and she definitely had her own filler words and phrases. I try not to overuse it but I don't think it's the worst thing ever.

_________________
"I never do anything you say, Isa. When I cook from VWAV and it says to add one cup of flour, I add three cups of olive oil! Now who wants some forking muffins??"-ExpiredSanity
Tumblr
Cast Iron & Cupcakes
I guess I have a Twitter now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:46 am 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 4902
Location: WV
I say 'like' soooo much. But I don't feel like I sound silly...it's just how I talk, maybe. I'm actually a little self conscious about it, but am not sure how to stop, because it's just...something I do!

Also, I am pretty sure that I accidentally locked one of my cats in a closet for over 12 hours last night. I feel pretty bad about it.

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:53 am 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:20 pm
Posts: 484
Location: somewhere in London, loving my life in the rain
AP these habits can be eliminated if you really want to! When I was about 15 I thought swearing was cool and consciously worked on getting 'fork' into almost every sentence - it was 'forking' this and 'forking' that! By the time I'd realised it was not cool it was an entrenched habit but I did manage to stamp it out by concentrating for a fraction of a second before I spoke, sort of being on a one second delay!


Last edited by rentaghost on Fri May 17, 2013 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:53 am 
Offline
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:04 am
Posts: 2420
Location: UK
joyfulgirl wrote:
Here's a sample pic. Nothing is glued in place yet, but this is the plan. and those are the knobs I spray painted during my lunch break :)
Image

That is absolutely brilliant!

_________________
Everyone turns into Boo Radley, if they live long enough ~ seitanicverses


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:01 pm 
Offline
Wears Durian Helmet
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:13 pm
Posts: 854
Location: Seattle, WA
allularpunk wrote:

Also, I am pretty sure that I accidentally locked one of my cats in a closet for over 12 hours last night. I feel pretty bad about it.


Was there something fluffy or soft to sleep on? Or at least a place to curl up? If so, I wouldn't feel to bad. My cats are awesome at opening closet doors, and we don't always see them when we close the door, so they've gotten stuck in closets for a few hours at a time before, too. They don't seem to mind, they like to nap in them. When they want out they'll start doing a really pitiful yowl and give a "how could you do this to me?!!!???" look when we let them out. Then five minutes later they will be trying to open the closet doors again. Cats are weird.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:02 pm 
Offline
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:24 pm
Posts: 5381
Location: BRLA
People are often aggravated by the way I talk. I say like, right?, and yeah-no no-yeah. I don't care if it aggravates anyone, I'm a free bisque, baby.

_________________
The thing about this thread is, it's dumb. - IJDI


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:08 pm 
Online
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:41 am
Posts: 7398
Location: Portland
Boyfriend and I applied for a great apartment. We heard back from the landlords that our application and references look good, so if the background and credit checks go okay, I think we will get it! My fingers are so crossed.

_________________
If you spit on my food I will blow your forking head off, you filthy shitdog. - Mumbles
Don't you know that vegan meat is the gateway drug to chicken addiction? Because GMO and trans-fats. - kaerlighed


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:15 pm 
Offline
rowdily playing checkers
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:53 pm
Posts: 2991
Like isn't just, or even very often, a filler word. It's a discourse particle. There's also the quotative like: Then she was like, "Shut up!". It's more meaningful than, say, "forking" as an intensifier, which people seem to get less upset about, even though it's a cuss word. Oh, I know why. Because like is associated with teenage girls, and forking is associated with teenage boys and PATRIARCHY. I"M SORRY DID I BLOW YOUR MIIIIND?

_________________
"Tits are inconsequential, but someone pass me that kitten" ~ papayapaprikás


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:16 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:57 pm
Posts: 5092
^Hoping you get the place, Jordan!

_________________
"I'm sorry! I'm Canadian!"


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1421, 1422, 1423, 1424, 1425, 1426, 1427 ... 1847  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: caterpillar and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer