| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45685 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1422, 1423, 1424, 1425, 1426, 1427, 1428 ... 1828  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:18 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

mumbles wrote:
Like isn't just, or even very often, a filler word. It's a discourse particle. There's also the quotative like: Then she was like, "Shut up!". It's more meaningful than, say, "forking" as an intensifier, which people seem to get less upset about, even though it's a cuss word. Oh, I know why. Because like is associated with teenage girls, and forking is associated with teenage boys and PATRIARCHY. I"M SORRY DID I BLOW YOUR MIIIIND?

you did blow my mind!

This is interesting, I'm examining my reactions to people saying "like" now and maybe it has less to do with the word but how I perceive the people using it. When I think about it, I have noticed that with some people it doesn't bother me, but with others it does, so it's probably more about my own preconceptions than the words they're saying.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:20 pm 
WELFARIST!

mumbles wrote:
It's more meaningful than, say, like, "forking" as an intensifier

(Could not resist).

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:22 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I say like all the time. It's not a filler word. It has a pretty specific meaning. Speech evolves.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:26 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

Mumbles, you blew my mind too! woah.

In most everyday conversations, I don't notice and don't care about people who say "like" a lot. The few times that I did notice it and got annoyed were in a more professional setting. Like this one time when a friend of mine was giving a talk for her art show. She said it a lot more than usual. I suppose it was because she was nervous, but it made it sound unprofessional, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:28 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, I'm not going to stop using it. Decision decided and whatnot.

As for my cat, she knocked over my suitcase and pulled down some towels while she was in there, so she did have a soft place to sleep. I just didn't stay at my place last night and can't remember if I saw her when I came home this morning before I started hearing the plaintive, soft meows that generally mean, 'Help me! I am trapped!' Also, I'm torn between feeling like a mean cat mama and wanting to make R. Kelly references to her that she will not understand.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:32 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

joyfulgirl wrote:
Mumbles, you blew my mind too! woah.

In most everyday conversations, I don't notice and don't care about people who say "like" a lot. The few times that I did notice it and got annoyed were in a more professional setting. Like this one time when a friend of mine was giving a talk for her art show. She said it a lot more than usual. I suppose it was because she was nervous, but it made it sound unprofessional, in my opinion.

I like how you snuck that "like" in there.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:38 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

torque wrote:
Mars wrote:
I wrote myself a to-do list yesterday and so far I've already crossed off half! 12/23!

this is inspiring, as i have a to-do list that is frightening in its length and complexity. also i have lists scattered everywhere.

You gotta mix in really easy stuff in your lists to help keep you feeling motivated! Like "Steam Beets" or "Buy some computer paper". There's a trick, too that my friend taught me, I didn't do it for this list, but I like to do it sometimes for sure; if you notice you accomplish something (anything, even small, like say you randomly decide to sweep even though it's not on your list) you should write it down on your list and then cross it off! Totally helps keep the steam going for Getting Shittake Done!

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:50 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Mars wrote:
torque wrote:
Mars wrote:
I wrote myself a to-do list yesterday and so far I've already crossed off half! 12/23!

this is inspiring, as i have a to-do list that is frightening in its length and complexity. also i have lists scattered everywhere.

You gotta mix in really easy stuff in your lists to help keep you feeling motivated! Like "Steam Beets" or "Buy some computer paper". There's a trick, too that my friend taught me, I didn't do it for this list, but I like to do it sometimes for sure; if you notice you accomplish something (anything, even small, like say you randomly decide to sweep even though it's not on your list) you should write it down on your list and then cross it off! Totally helps keep the steam going for Getting Shittake Done!

Yes, I totally do that! I write down the most trivial things I need to do, just because I know it will make me feel good to cross them out, and I write down things I already did, and then cross them out! Just the other day, I went to the post office, and looked in my planner to cross it out, but then realized I hadn't written it down. So I wrote it down right then and crossed the shiitake out of it.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:56 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I am stupidly annoyed about this! I know it's stupid but I want to complain about it somewhere.

I get this coffee subscription thing where you pay $15 a month and they send you 2oz samples of fancy coffees from 4 different roasters, and then you get free shipping when you order a full bag of one of them (you still have to pay for the bag of coffee). The service also has a bunch of other coffee beans and coffee brewing stuff for sale on their website.

SO ANYWAY, I got my box last week and looked at the prices of the coffee on their website. This week, when I went to order my coffee, they'd upped the coffee prices, but only on the coffees I can get free shipping on. Everything else on the site was the same price.

I emailed them about it and told them it didn't really count as free shipping if you were charging more for the coffee than you normally do. I wouldn't normally pay $15 for 8oz of coffee; the free shipping is like the reason the whole thing is worth it. Grumble grumble, I was looking forward to my bag of water avenue coffee.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:00 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I do that with lists too!

I don't mind my students using "like" within reason--some of them DO use it as filler. It takes the place of "um" or a pause, and with some of my students it seriously seems like it is EVERY OTHER FREAKING WORD. Which is grating and exhausting to listen to.

Plus, it has gotten to the point where it is showing up in some of their writing. Not as a comparison but as a pause or interjection kind of thing. That is not appropriate for polished academic essays. However, I've seen it used very effectively in narrative fiction (I'm thinking specifically of David Foster Wallace, but I'm sure others do it as well). Like with many issues of contemporary language and code-switching, I think there's a place and a time for "like"ing, and being able to turn it off or at least tone it down when needed can be advantageous. Just like I say fork all the time with my friends, I recognize that I shouldn't say it while teaching. I don't resent that or feel repressed or judged or anything. It's just different context.

"Like" rant aside, here's what I came in here to ask:

What do you call it when you're sitting on the toilet and you blow your nose so hard that you poop?

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:04 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I like forking.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:16 pm 
WELFARIST!

DarthCupcake wrote:
What do you call it when you're sitting on the toilet and you blow your nose so hard that you poop?

Bloop?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:32 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I totally do my lists like that too. It reminds me of the one Frog and Toad story where Toad write a to-do list and it blows away on the wind, so he can't do anything because he doesn't know if it was on his list or not.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:34 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I do that, too! And I'm a list-lover. Partly due to my obsessive-compulsive tendencies, partly due to the fact that it keeps me on track and motivated when I've got a to-do list going. Good think I work for the company that makes post-its, I go through them so quickly.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:45 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I am home sick. Feverish and kind of weak, but not headachey or stomachey.
So I get a call from a California number and ignore it, fall back asleep. They leave a message, and I listen to it.
It's my best friend/roommate's mother. Calling to tell me he was arrested last night and is in jail, currently waiting to be arraigned.

On one hand, I have no patience for anyone who gets a DUI. On the other, he is my best friend and his family is calling me in a panic because none of them live closer than Sacramento (Colorado, Arizona, and Chicago). And, honestly, I'm really glad he's OK. But I'm pissed he didn't call me LAST night to pick him up. I just...ugh.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:11 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

rentaghost wrote:
AP these habits can be eliminated if you really want to!

being taped and forced to watch yourself and list your own nervous/linguistic tics also helps. My education coursework required me to do that while I was teaching and I don't know if I've said "um" or clasped my hands more than once a year since then. How embarrassing!

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:20 pm 
Chard Martyr

I hate speaking because I use so many filler words when I'm nervous (which is often), and I feel really embarrassed because I never have any problems getting my point across writing. But this also gives me an enormous tolerance for people who do feel the need to talk too quickly and use too many nervous filler words.

I once wrote a play in which there was a character whose voice I wrote thinking I'd overkilled on the filler words. It was later performed and it sounded perfectly normal.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just posted the link to my fundraising page. Now I have to do it. I just hope I reach my goal. I thought it was pretty modest, so it'll be embarrassing if I don't make it.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:55 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

somehow it never occurred to me that vader is also leia's father. jeez. derp.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:12 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

Geeze, spoilers.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:24 pm 
WELFARIST!

I wanted to go to this poetry/local authors reading thing tonight in the east end, so I showered, ate, dressed, put make up on, waited down at the bus stop for ten minutes, but bus wasn't coming and it was making me late and I didn't want to be late at a thing where speakers were speaking, so I started wandering back home and then I sort of hovered between the bus stop (thinking I can still make it if the bus comes now!) and going home and was undecided whether or not I should still go and then the bus came and I was too far away from the bus stop to rush down and stop it and it drove by me. Argh. So now I'm home, with make up on, alone on a Friday evening. The alone on a Friday evening part is nothing new--but having make up on is. I'm bummed too and feel sort of self-sabotagey, like I should have tried harder and not given in on the bus so soon or I would have caught it and maybe had a fun evening.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:28 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Well, you already have make-up on, why not take that as a sign, and go out to a local more-casual thing where timing doesn't matter? Like, go grab a drink and imagine funny scenarios with the other patrons/bartenders... or go somewhere where there is often live music, even if the music sucks, it might be nice to get out since you already got yourself up for it.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:32 pm 
WELFARIST!

Well, I would were I a more outgoing type...but now I'm home, changed into sweats (make up still on!) and about to watch the Ottawa/Pittsburgh playoff game. And doing a bit of work. I'm consoling myself by telling myself that I'm going downtown tomorrow morning (to run errands--but still!) and hopefully going to see The Great Gatbsby with my nephew some time this weekend. Also, this author thing is third Friday of every month so hopefully I can go next month! I should have left my apartment earlier to begin with, really...

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:57 pm 
Semen Strong

mumbles wrote:
Like isn't just, or even very often, a filler word. It's a discourse particle. There's also the quotative like: Then she was like, "Shut up!". It's more meaningful than, say, "forking" as an intensifier, which people seem to get less upset about, even though it's a cuss word. Oh, I know why. Because like is associated with teenage girls, and forking is associated with teenage boys and PATRIARCHY. I"M SORRY DID I BLOW YOUR MIIIIND?

I have nothing but love for you right now!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:00 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I spent today essentially teaching Revolution 101 and How To Successfully Fight Back Against the School.

If I get fired and/or make enemies... It was PROBABLY worth it.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45685 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1422, 1423, 1424, 1425, 1426, 1427, 1428 ... 1828  Next