| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 88  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:46 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

LP, if you are getting a sufficient amount of B12 for yourself, baby will be fine. I'm sure that all soy formulas have B12 too, but you can read the ingredients lists on their web pages. We used one not US-available, but it had B12 in there.

For the vitamin D, we used (still do) a spray that works great.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:30 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Is it evil that I've had a great day because my kid is a little sick? He's been really sweet and wanted to snuggle and read books/sing all day. Normally I can't keep up with him, so I was a bit worried about this weekend (my husband is away). Now I'm thinking it's been great for me, but not for little R...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:16 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Not evil. Although I felt that way earlier this week (he took a 4 hour nap, then slept for 12 hours at night one day), although now he is all better, and I am sick. Karma!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:13 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Will has a really red, blotchy bottom that I think might be from teething. When I changed his diaper last there was even a little blood on the diaper (from the little raw spots). He seemed to scream when we tried coconut oil or olive oil on it, so we decided to switch to disposables today and slather him with Vaseline. Any suggestions on what I could use with cloth that wouldn't sting him like the oils?

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:36 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Is that butt paste stuff okay with cloth? It works the best for Malka when she's raw.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:33 pm 
Semen Strong

Poor baby! I hope he feels better soon. We've been happy with Earth Mama Angel Baby Bottom Balm.

Here is a list of all the creams based on which are cloth-friendly and which aren't.
http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/d ... creams.htm

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:45 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Oh poor Will. Ada had a really bad blistery rash (a couple of open blisters) a couple of weeks ago. We normally use earth angel bottom balm but it hasn't been working on her bad rashes lately and seemed to be stinging the open blisters. We happened to be at the pediatrician for her check up and she recommended using the boudreaux butt paste or something else with zinc. So we got the butt paste and put her in disposables for a couple of days. And we did the same a couple of nights ago when she started getting a rash. We really need to wash our fleece liners from ages ago because the butt paste seems to be the only thing that is working on the bad rashes now and I don't want to keep using disposables.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:02 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I've used Boudreaux natural with cloth diapers, and it definitely stains them, and may do further damage as well. I still use it occasionally on cloth diapers if I don't have any disposables handy since it's the only thing that works on Lydia's diaper rash when it gets really bad and she gets those open blisters like sashi mentions.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:20 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thanks for the suggestions. I was afraid to use the Earth Mama balm if the other oils were stingy, but I'll give it a try. Tofulish, that list looks super helpful!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:26 pm 
Chip Strong

The butt paste is the only thing that works for us for bad rashes. We use it with cloth diapers without a problem, but we have a diaper service so maybe their super powered machines can handle it better than a regular home machine.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:21 pm 

Yeah, I don't worry about what kind of diaper cream we use with our diaper service either. I don't notice any sort of difference.

Hope Will gets some comfort soon (and Kdub).

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:22 pm 
Semen Strong

What would you do PPK?

We had a very nice playdate on Monday, and today my friend called me to tell me her child was running a 104F fever, which apparently was going around her daycare. The pediatrician told her that a lot of children are getting that particular virus now. She feels bad that L was exposed, but as of now L has no symptoms of being sick.

Should I cancel our playdates for the rest of the week just in case? That is my impulse, but I know I tend to be really overcautious here.

I hope she doesn't get sick, because I really am just starting to feel better after L was sick all of March, with one thing after another

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:23 pm 

I don't know, I'm really bad at stuff like this...I lean toward germs make us stronger but I don't appreciate being exposed to people who are clearly sick. I think it's a gray area. If she seems unaffected, why not just tell the parents before the play dates? Then they can decide what is comfortable for them?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:52 am 
***LIES!!!***

I am strongly feeling these days that exposure to germs makes you stronger UNLESS you actually get sick. Sickness just makes you weaker. I wouldn't hang out with a kid I knew had a fever. But we are all too weak around here from being sick so much this year to fight off yet another virus.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:26 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

The rule for most schools around here is 24 hours fever and med-free. I would probably stick to that rule with a play date. Are you wanting to cancel because Leela might get others sick or others might get her sick?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:39 am 

If L is symptom free, then I see mi reason to cancel. I mean, she's exposed to stuff like, everywhere, everyday do she always has the potential to develop something (cheery).

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:42 am 
Semen Strong

L is totally fine and has no signs of any sickness. My concern is that she might be in the incubation period and contagious even if she is symptom free. I tend to be very overcautious. I generally tell other parents but that is basically the same as canceling. Maybe its totally NBD and I need to chill more. Its hard enough to make friends without constantly cancelling plans

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:41 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Obviously it's up to you, but I don't think you need to cancel on the chance that Leela *might* have something. As long as she's fine, I say play away!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:28 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

if she's not snotty or visibly ill, i'd take her. i wouldn't even be letting people know about it. but if she had even a slight sniffle, i'd take that as a bad sign and cancel.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:53 pm 

Oi, holy smartphone typos!

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:56 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ugh. how long post partum should i expect to cry everytime i have to poop????

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:11 pm 

If you mean from tears, stitches, etc., I think it can take a good while (maybe even a couple of months). If you mean from constipation, I'd guess that you could/should talk to your doc even now.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:25 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yeah, it depends on what the pain is from. I didn't have tears, but experienced the joys of hemeroids (no idea how to spell that, sorry) for quite a while. I scarfed down prunes and made sure to drink as much water as I could possibly down. That seemed to help.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:45 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I was on stool softeners FOREVER, months and months, even eating super high fiber and lots of water. It can take awhile, but I have no idea why (hormones?). I've never been constipated any other time in my adult life. The hemorrhoids didn't help, either. I used my peri bottle for at least six months and then switched to cloth wipes to keep stuff from getting re-irritated.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:44 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

kdub wrote:
Yeah, it depends on what the pain is from. I didn't have tears, but experienced the joys of hemeroids (no idea how to spell that, sorry) for quite a while. I scarfed down prunes and made sure to drink as much water as I could possibly down. That seemed to help.

My hemorrhoids after Beet literally looked like my asparagus was wearing a Mickey Mouse hat and lasted...3 weeks? After Raygold, I had a friggin' vinyard. It looked like I had a marble and a piece of wood-ear fungus down there. Anyway, they last about 3 weeks before mercifully starting to shrink and until then, it felt like I'd been stung in the asparagus by a bee or something.

There are 2 things you can do -- not a huge help, but it's something. The midwives gave me condoms to fill with water and freeze and stick in my pantaloons. It was the only way I could sit down. They also gave me this gel (KY Jelly, IIRC) mixed with cypress and geranium essential oils and it helped take the edge off. I bet peppermint or something might help, too.

For the record, I had a second degree tear with Beet and a first degree tear with Raygold and they weren't a bother AT ALL -- probably because my hemorrhoids were so bad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 88  Next