| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 760 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:56 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

We made the pumpkin cheesecake for the first time this weekend. Pure bliss! It was totally worth paying a HUGE amount & having to order the pumpkin puree online.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:22 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

beanspark wrote:
Shukriyya wrote:
Many of the creamy pies use cashews. It's probably best to browse through the book at the library or a bookshop before buying it, so that you can see how many of the recipes you could use.

Most of the time the amount of cashews called for is 1/2 cup, which is not that much, so maybe you could sub the cashews with something else? Silken tofu maybe?

Macadamia nuts? Soaked almonds?

as i mentioned above, i'm allergic to peanuts + all nuts so your suggestion won't work for me :( but maybe for someone else :)

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I think the book is still worth it for the crusts, fruit pies and other bits and pieces (chocolate truffle tart!). There are a bunch of things in there that I can't make (banana allergy), but there's even more that I can and do make all the time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:17 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

thanks y'all, i requested an inter-library loan and the book is on its way to me! i look forward to seeing it in person!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:39 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

um yeah, i am totally buying this. i requested an interlibrary loan but i got a chance to flip through it at the bookstore earlier today. isa and terry totally had me at 'blueberry hand pies.' for this recipe alone, i will buy the book!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:46 pm 
And you never will.

quark wrote:
poopiebitch wrote:
Anyway, I made the maple pecan pie for xmas, but turned it into a chocolate bourbon pecan pie. Whoa yum.

Ooooh, how did you do this? Or is it a trade secret? Chocolate pecan pie is an old fav of mine!

Oops! I guess I should have checked this thread in the last two months! Probably irrelevant now, but I subbed 2 Tbs of the soy milk for bourbon (more if you like it more boozy), and added 1/2 cup chocolate chips to the mixture before pouring it into the crust. It got so fudgy and delicious.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:02 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

hi everyone. my hubby's birthday is coming up soon and i was thinking about making the old-fashioned chocolate pudding pie on page 163. have any of y'all made that? did it turn out super yum? everything firm up a-okay? i'm intrigued because the pie does not use silken tofu or agar agar!

i have a peanut + all tree nut allergy so i was going to sub soy milk (regular and not unsweetened i assume) for the almond milk.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:30 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

It's the best! Totally perfect. Subbing the milk will make zero difference. Just use whatever you have.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:33 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ZOMG. Why did I wait so long to make the famous Strawberry & Rhubarb Crumb Pie?!
I got some fresh rhubarb from a coworker's garden, so I finally had the perfect reason to make it - and, wow, I almost feel like calling in sick just so I can stay home and eat pie all day. It is DIVINE.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:14 pm 
Huffs Nooch

This may be a dumb question, but: Would the amount of fruit needed change if I used those teeny wild blueberries Trader Joe's sells instead of normal-sized blueberries?

I Googled a bunch of recipes for both blueberry and wild blueberry pies, and it seemed like generally the wild blueberry recipes called for more cups of fruit than the straight-up version, but the amount ranged pretty widely in both types of pie, so I'm not feeling very confident about guessing.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:52 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Yeah, if it's measured by the cup and not weight then add an extra cup or so. Extra berries never hurt no one!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:12 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Interesting. To me wild blueberries are normal and the giant American ones are pretty new in shops (sold as large blueberries). I've never adjusted the amount of berries (at least not consciously) in anything I make. Though, I have to admit that I'm shamefully underutilising this book because wow! American pies are really huge!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:01 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Just made the Grasshopper pie and oh my gosh it's soooooo good! NOMNOMNOM. Hopefully I won't die of a sugar coma.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:33 pm 
Saggy Butt

I made the Maple Pecan Pie finally last night. I'm sorry I waited so long to make this. It was incredible. It has been a very long time since I've had pecan pie but I recall it being so sweet. This pie had just the right amount of sweetness. I served it to some omni family members and thought it was one of the best pecan pies they have tasted. Now, I need to figure out how to incorporate chocolate into it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:10 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Oh my.. Banoffee pie is too good!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:20 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

violettequeen wrote:
Oh my.. Banoffee pie is too good!

Isn't it?! I could go for a big piece of that right now...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:15 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I made the key lime pie yesterday as a belated birthday treat. Like a number of people here I found it too gelled but the taste was still amazing. I searched discussion about the pie and found the link to the PPK recipe Isa originally posted: http://www.theppk.com/2008/11/latchkey-lime-pie/ which cleared things up a bit.

The problem I had with the recipe in the book was that initially it said to bring the almond milk/agar/ tapioca mixture to a boil but it doesn't say when or how much to turn it down. I was cautious of having a liquidy mess so I turned it down some but probably not as much as I should have. Next time, and there definitely will be a next time, I will cook it with a little less heat and it will likely not be as gelly-like (as per the PPK directions).

Still, if a friend had given me a piece of this I would have raved about how good it is. I love how it is just barely sweet and very limey. Very nice on a hot summer evening.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:18 pm 
And you never will.

I make the key lime pie a lot, and I always now reduce the agar to 1 1/2 tsp. It turns out perfectly every time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:03 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Ah, excellent idea poopiebitch. WIll do that next time. I reduced the agar slightly in the lemon bars from V'con the second and subsequent times I made them too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:51 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

That frangipane!!! Made it for the first time today with apples (I already had those) and it was divine.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:08 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

It's kind of hilarious to me that I've had this book for awhile now, and just made the summer fruit buckle cake (with peaches) twice last week. Guess I just really am more of a cake than pie person (lazy). Still, this book is gorgeous and I want to make so many of them, even if just for special occasions or as gifts. I need to get a bigger pie plate though. Mine is super shallow.

However! I brought the book home with me last week and my mom drooled over it and is totally going to buy it for herself. Yay for more vegan pies in the world (and hopefully they will be timed with my visits)!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:06 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

The summer fruit buckle is in the oven now. It smells divine. I can't wait to try it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:48 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Has anyone made the maple pecan pie substituting for the tofu? It seems like it would be a winner at family dinner but my omni sweetheart's omni momni doesn't want to eat soy.

(I kind of love that my sweetheart said "Just throw in a flax egg, right?" Because I am a vegan magician.)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:47 pm 
Semen Strong

Erinnerung wrote:
b.vicious wrote:
I'm making the Cosmos apple pie, and it says to turn down the temp after 25 mins, but doesn't specify what temp to lower it to. I'm going with 350 and hoping for the best.

I just checked the instructions from testing and 350 is right! Good job.

Thank goodness for this thread!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:49 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

madeleine.teacup wrote:
Has anyone made the maple pecan pie substituting for the tofu? It seems like it would be a winner at family dinner but my omni sweetheart's omni momni doesn't want to eat soy.

(I kind of love that my sweetheart said "Just throw in a flax egg, right?" Because I am a vegan magician.)

I haven't tried this, but since the tofu is to stabilise the custard I wonder if you could double the cornstarch instead? And up the quantity of pecans a bit to make up for the loss of volume?

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 760 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next