| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Physics cram music / weird crepe you find on your computer
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:41 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

So, I'm looking for music to put on repeat at an obnoxious volume (sorry birds; suck it up) and found all sorts of crepe in my iTunes that I have no recollection of buying.

For example: I apparently own two GNR albums. Why? I hate GnR and cannot imagine why I'd have bought these, or when. I have Appetite for Destruction on right now, and it's kind of working as the study music I need though.

Anybody else find stuff like this and wonder what they were thinking? I also apparently own a crepe ton of Celine Dion, but that's from way back when I liked her after seeing her in concert. This was before she was big and was just an opening act. I'm not saying who she opened for because you will all laugh at me. It was a last minute whim. Boyfriend and I were bored, heard a radio ad and though "why not." he bought me a tee shirt and dared me $20 I wouldn't wear it in public (I didn't).

Various albums I've used in the past are Twilight soundtrack, Petshop Boys Very, Goldfrapp remixes, and Hermes House Band with (Dutch people might remember this) some Fabienne mixed in.

I try to not use stuff I love since I don't want to wear it out or forever associate my favorite Madonna song with differential equations or something, because that would be tragic. I made that mistake with Very and the Goodfrapp. Also, stuff I hate a little helps me concentrate since I use the part of my brain that wants to be distracted to block out the annoying music.

Post subject: Re: Physics cram music / weird crepe you find on your comput
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:42 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

We have super different study music! I put on classical stations on spotify usually. Bach piano stuff is my fave. Once I listened to beauty and the beat on repeat for 8 hours writing a paper and it took me 2 years to listen again. Mostly I can't handle lyrics.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:00 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'll listen to opera sometimes, but only if I don't need to concentrate much since I'll start listening to that. Actually, some Wagner might work. I *hate* Wagner. I did try atonal stuff and that just gave me a headache. Philip Glass and I do not get along.

I moved on from GnR to Billy Idol, which is good, but my studying hasn't kicked into gear yet. Forcing myself doesn't work. I have to just find my zone, and then I'll be unstoppable. I figure tonight is my study music sourcing night. Tomorrow I'll get up early, go get a latte and the graph paper I like, maybe a new sharpie or two since I work by color coding everything, and then get busy.

I'm such a baby. I have so many requirements for study.

I took a practice test and got 7 out of 25 correct.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:25 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

When I need to buckle down and work on stuff, I usually dig out house mixes or goa trance mixes-- propulsive music without words, mostly, so it doesn't distract me much, but keeps me sort of mentally moving forward. I have DAYS of hour-long (or longer!) mixes floating around basically for just this purpose.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:29 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I like techno/trance for study too. I've got loads of Armin van Buuren art of trance episodes with the voice bits edited out.

Boy George has a bunch of stuff like that too, with good remixes.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:57 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

When I was taking my two semesters of chemistry, I listened to Plastikman's Consumed album constantly. Dark, minimal, spacy techno... seemed perfect, and it did not destroy my love for the album.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:52 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Get Spotify and then use the radio function after picking a favorite band, works for me.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:30 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i also find all sorts of bizarre things. now that i'm moving all my stuff to the cloud for travel i am finding music and files that i simply can't understand why i own or keep.

i have two levels of study music demands.
When I'm really, absolutely forked, I go to simplynoise.com and put it on oscillate, really loud. it does help me focus.
when i'm not so desperate, i have a few places on itunes radio that i like-- i cannot have vocals of any kind because they tend to screw up my writing:
under jazz: jazzradio dot com piano trios - non vocal
under classical: ABC piano
under ambient: groove salad or radio soma - both occasionally do get vocals though. also in this category is some "ambient pads and drones" that are decent.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

If I want to get shiitake done, I usually just shuffle my library. If I listen to something I'm specifically interested in listening to, I pay attention too much. And it's kind of like going back in time, because I rarely delete anything.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:04 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I had a cool iPod app that just goes through your library for 60 minutes, playing 60 seconds of random tracks. It's a great tool when you need to just sit down and do something for an hour. The only problem is I had to take all the opera and audio books out first. The opera mixed in was just annoying, and since a lot of operas have a gazillion smallish tracks, my library gets proportionally skewed.

I should see if there is a new similar app for my iPhone that would let you select stuff. I especially loved this for the last hour of my long 4 hr drives home when I was tired.

(I gave up on the physics after not trying very hard. My brain doesn't work anymore; I'm just too depressed. I moved the test to July 30.)