| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Weight/powerlifting
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:21 am 
Impressive boner

Any other PPK lifters about? How are you doing? Do you have any specific aims or plans?

I'm not training at present due to a painful rib dysfunction, but I've recently begun to follow Talia Van Doran and would love to get as strong as her (148lb bench press, 375lb deadlift, 315lb squat). At the moment I can squat 126lb and deadlift 115lbs but I've never bench pressed in my life. My military press is 60lbs. I perform snatches and jerks with kettlebells and once my back is better I'm going to resume competition training with an 8kg weight, aiming for 20 reps per minute with the ultimate aim of 10 minutes total (5 mins on each arm).

I told Baby Godzilla that I'd try to squat his Dad's weight by this time next year, so I'm aiming to double my squat weight. I'm also really interested in powerlifting.

Post subject: Re: Weight/powerlifting
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:25 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I weight lift!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:31 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'll contribute in this thread! As I posted in the daily workout thread, I very recently just started to do some heavy lifting; I'm following the New Rules of Lifting for Women program. My heavy lifting is not heavy at all right now. As I also posted over there, I'm doing this on my one so am erring on the side of caution figuring out my weights, plus I'm using dumbbells (don't belong to a gym). I've used 30 pound dumbbells for deadlifts but know I can do more than just that 60, so perhaps today i'll use the 35 or 40's and take it from there. I need to look into getting a rack set if I'm not going to join a gym.

I've dabbled with kettlebells here and there but nothing very heavy - 15 lbs. I've used them more for light strength/keeping the heart rate up type workouts, but I do like them for this purpose.

I hope your back gets better soon 8ball. Being injured sucks.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:49 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I do some weight lifting stuff with my trainer. Mostly kettle bells but also occasionally some olympic bar.
I really like it a lot. I love the feeling of pressing my legs DOWN into the ground.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:14 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I've been lifting weights for almost 2 years, nowadays 4 times a week. I'm really digging upper/lower body splits which seem to be what's working best for me. I'm mostly doing it to gain weight and get bigger, but of course the strength gains aren't unwelcome either.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:46 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I powerlift and I LOVE it. I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5. I've made a lot of gains in a short time and now I am slowing down my weight increase to focus more on form. For whatever reason, I just can't get ass-to-grass with a bar on my shoulders. I think it's more of a balance thing than a weight thing, but I've been ending the last few sessions doing overhead squats using a wooden dowel and going ass-to-grass. I'm hoping that will translate to better form with weights.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:08 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

j-dub wrote:
I powerlift and I LOVE it. I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5. I've made a lot of gains in a short time and now I am slowing down my weight increase to focus more on form. For whatever reason, I just can't get ass-to-grass with a bar on my shoulders. I think it's more of a balance thing than a weight thing, but I've been ending the last few sessions doing overhead squats using a wooden dowel and going ass-to-grass. I'm hoping that will translate to better form with weights.

I don't do ATG either, I've tried it but my knees always start hurting. I go to parallel and that has worked fine for me.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:21 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I've started Stronglifts again! I'm in my third week (well, will be tomorrow). I really enjoy it. I used to lift every day, but moved house and didn't like the gym so much, then moved again and the local gym was really ill-equipped. I bought a load of scandalously cheap weights and bars on Gumtree, and pretty much the only thing I want is a squat rack.

I used to be noticeably muscular, but now I'm merely not-scrawny.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:09 pm 
Impressive boner

Hi there all you awesome lifters!

I squat lower than parallel otherwise I get knee problems. Once or twice I've felt close to getting stuck and have been glad of the safety bars.

Any good links for Stronglifts or New Rules of Lifting resources?

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:20 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

8ball, this is the Strong Lifts 5 x 5 that j-dub mentioned: http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/.

I'm not crazy about the guy's personality, but whatever. I'm not there yet, but I bought 15lb dumbbells and have been approximating the workout. I was doing the same with 10lb dumbbells, but I needed something heavier!! I'm going to work with these for a bit then move to an Olympic bar at the gym.

I don't do asparagus to grass, but things that help me go a parallel or a bit below are a tiny bit wider stance and being barefoot. I think barefoot (well, in socks) has made the biggest difference.

My goals are to be able to do a pull up, headstand and handstand.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:07 pm 

Oh yeah, his personality is forking atrocious. If I read some dig about being "weak like a girl" one more time I am going to hunt him down and squat him. Honestly, I just skipped over everything but the details of the actual program.

ndpittman, other than overhead press which is my forking nemesis, I have to say everything got easier once I moved up to the barbell. It's a lot more stable than dumbbells so your form will be a lot better. I wouldn't be surprised if you are ready for the Oly bar but you're just not feeling ready for it. That being said, I gain muscle and strength really quickly so my progression may not be comparable to most women's. Or maybe it is! I know that for a long time I had a mental block about what I could lift because "women are naturally weaker" and "women have less upper body strength". Yes, because we don't forking train it! I was convinced for years that I couldn't do a bench press with an Oly bar because I'd drop in on my face. I'm now benching 80 lbs like it ain't no thang (that's a lie, it's totally a thang).

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:47 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

8ball wrote:

There's a good support forum for NRoL4W here. I'm halfway through the first stage. I used to lift several years ago, but in the intervening years I switched to Gold's Gym and varied my focus a lot (yoga, pilates, spin, high-rep/moderate-weight classes like Body Pump, etc). I also started running, which I still do on a lighter basis.

But now I'm back to lifting and loving it. Well, I wasn't loving it yesterday -- lots of lower-back soreness following Friday's deadlifts. But mostly I love it.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:04 pm 

Ratched wrote:
8ball wrote:

There's a good support forum for NRoL4W here. I'm halfway through the first stage. I used to lift several years ago, but in the intervening years I switched to Gold's Gym and varied my focus a lot (yoga, pilates, spin, high-rep/moderate-weight classes like Body Pump, etc). I also started running, which I still do on a lighter basis.

But now I'm back to lifting and loving it. Well, I wasn't loving it yesterday -- lots of lower-back soreness following Friday's deadlifts. But mostly I love it.

I was experiencing lower-back pain when I went up to 135lbs so I backed off and did 125 for a few days until I felt no pain and had great form. Now I'm feeling good.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:28 pm 

I wish you could come be my gym buddy, j-dub! The people at my gym don't seem like dicks, but I'm still intimidated as hell. I did talk to one guy I work with who's a gym rat about maybe coordinating so he could walk me through some stuff/spot me. I get very anxious about doing something for the first time (in general), but I know if I do it a couple of times I'll be fine.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:08 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

j-dub wrote:
I was experiencing lower-back pain when I went up to 135lbs so I backed off and did 125 for a few days until I felt no pain and had great form. Now I'm feeling good.

That's good advice. I think I'll bump down a little on my next deadlift day. I'm also ruminating on whether to switch from conventional to sumo style. I used to pull sumo, since I have a long torso relative to my arms and legs.

FWIW, getting laced into a corset helped the lower back pain yesterday -- I had one friend pulling my arms, and another tightening the laces with her foot firmly planted on my asparagus for leverage. Go figure. I didn't even wear the thing for very long, we were just goofing around. I think all the pulling/pushing during the process was like an assisted stretch.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:43 pm 

ndpittman wrote:
I wish you could come be my gym buddy, j-dub!

I would love that!

I promise the first time will feel awkward and you'll think everyone is staring at you (no one is!). By the third time you'll be all "I got this".

And now I am off to google Sumo style deadlifts.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:52 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I do AtG for squats but it took me about 6 months to really get there. It's a lot of work. I have injured knees and thought I couldn't do it. With a lot of practice and training you can. You just have to want to do it to be honest. It's specially hard for women because of the tightness of the knees and muscles around the ankles (and that bit above the ankles in the back which I'm spacing on, it's late).

I'm not so amazing with the powerlifting. Trying to get there but I do kettlebells twice a week.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:43 am 
Impressive boner

I'm curious about sumo deadlifts too. I do them with kettlebells but not with the olympic bar.

I saw a video covering the Jefferson deadlift a couple of days back. You straddle the bar and lift it up between your legs. It's meant to be good for people who suffer pain doing a traditional deadlift.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:31 pm 

8ball wrote:
I'm curious about sumo deadlifts too. I do them with kettlebells but not with the olympic bar.

I saw a video covering the Jefferson deadlift a couple of days back. You straddle the bar and lift it up between your legs. It's meant to be good for people who suffer pain doing a traditional deadlift.

I feel like it would be really easy to sac yourself (if you are a nut-sacked person)! I think I am clumsy enough that I would end up pulling it into my beej and then fall over face-first onto the weight plate. It would make for a great "you shouldn't be at the gym" .gif though...

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:53 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I saw that Jefferson deadlift via Nia Shanks earlier in the week -- I love how the guy discreetly addresses the nutshot-potential.

My lower back pain was probably the result of my back being too weak for the weight I chose. My program is structured so there are two different full-body workouts. You do workout A and workout B twice each with 2x15 reps at the start, then twice each at 2x12, twice each at 3x10 (where I am now), then twice each at 3x8. I have one more A and one more B at 3x10. I figure when I switch to 3x8 sets next week, I'll try to increase my squat and deadlift weight again.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel frustrated that my weights are so light ... I'm squatting about 71% of my bodyweight, and I'm not a big girl. But if I look at where I was four weeks ago, I'm already stronger. So that's something.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:52 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Ratched, I think I am arriving at the same conclusion as you - my legs could probably handle more weights but my back can't. (I feel this is a similar issue when it comes to pushups.) I'm frustrated too when I think how much I used to be able to squat and what I'm doing now, but hey, its a place to start from.

As far as ATG, I never thought about it before... I always just thought a squat was parallel, but I am a complete noob to heavy lifting. I'll try later and see how horrible it is!

I am not certain I'm using the correct weights though - maybe I need to re-read that chapter. (That's the downfall of using the book - I know I haven't retained each detail and need to go back and reference.) I went a little heavier for the 2x12's than the 2x15's, because I figured that's the point if I can handle the weight. In general when you do a prescribed set, whether it be 15 or 5, is the goal to use a weight that will allow you to just complete that set? Ie if you need to rest for a few seconds in the middle is it too much weight?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:30 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

My husband is buying a bench with a leg curl doo-hicky, about 325 lbs of weights, olympic bar, and curl bar from a neighbor. I'm excited!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:57 am 
Huffs Nooch

Not a powerlifter or a weightlifter per se but I am a gym rat. Workout style is basic - dips, pull ups, squats, gymnastic rings, sprints & that's about it.

Interesting to see the perpetual 'how deep should I squat' issue mentioned. For the record the shearing pressure on the knees is much greater at parallel than it is further down - if you only squat to parallel you spend longer in this position ergo much more pressure on the knees than if you go lower. Obviously if you're a powerlifter you only want to go as shallow as you can get away with so you maximise the weight you can lift (and thereby accept it may not be optimal for your knees), but if you're just lifting for general strength gain or bodybuilding purposes it's much better to decrease the weight and increase the range of motion. No sadder sight in the gym than some idiot doing half-squats with more weight than he/she can handle.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:33 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

eta: nevermind, wrong thread!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:21 pm 

I think tomorrow is the day I start with the olympic bar! It depends on a lot of things, but I'm excited about the prospect. (If it doesn't rain, I want to run instead. I'm getting a hair cut in the afternoon, but don't want to set an alarm, so if I wake up early enough and it's raining, that's the plan.) Ha, I'm super dedicated. It does just feel good to know that it's about time anyway.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45  Next