| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Talk to me about your 10 month olds...
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:19 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

... or your older kiddos when they were ~10 months old!

Some good friends of ours are getting married in the Cook Islands in November, when Westiebaby will be a bit over 10 months old. It's a ~four hour flight, we'd stay at a self-catering freestanding house so wouldn't have to worry about overnight noise or getting resort food or anything, but I'm just a bit wary about how much hard work it might be to keep up with an active small person on a tropical island. We'd look at staying roughly four days.

Good idea? Bad idea? What are/were your littlies like at that age, i.e. what can we expect?

Any travel stories or just insights into that age+stage would be hugely appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Talk to me about your 10 month olds...
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:52 pm 
Semen Strong

How comfortable is westiebaby with walking? How childproofed is the house? (It sounds so nice!)

Leela would have been at dream in a childproofed house, because she was still pretty wobbly while walking, so it was easy to keep up with her. Now she is so much faster, but even so, I'd go to a tropical island in a heartbeat with her!

It just sounds so NICE!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:58 pm 

haha, she's not comfortable at all so far, she's only 4.5 months old, which is why I don't really know what to expect by the time she's 10 months.
The house is fairly sparsely furnished, so I imagine it to be very easily childproofed. The last time we were there it was February and I subsisted pretty much solely on free coconut, mangoes and papaya gathered from the trees outside and blended, sliced, or mixed with duty-free vodka... I imagine we might go a bit easier on the vodka this time, but I'm hoping there's still enough fruit ripe in November for that to make up most of our diet...

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:09 pm 
Semen Strong

I had a total brainfart on her age! The house sounds like heaven - I think having your own fridge and access to fruit and baby-friendly meals would make a big difference. I'd go, in a heartbeat. I'm now having vacation fantasies!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:32 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I personally wouldn't do it. UNLESS..one of our mom's came with us to watch the baby/toddler during the wedding. Bringing kids to a wedding is a pain in the asparagus and you have to usually leave early and can't fully enjoy yourselves because one or both of you is going to be preoccupied with tending to the kid. If it's a day wedding then it usually happens during nap time and well kids kept from their naps is never a good idea for anyone.

If it was vacation only then I would do it. Especially since you will have a house with a kitchen instead of a hotel room/no kitchen. That's easy.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:54 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I don't know, Sven started walking at 1 year so for us the time right before he was walking was kind of a golden age! He was still content in a high chair, shopping cart, or our laps (as soon as he was walking he always wanted to be down) so if Westiebaby isn't walking yet the plane ride and wedding should be relatively easy! I would go for it in a heartbeat. Hopefully the wedding won't be super uptight if it's on an island and you'll have a little leeway to walk with Westiebaby if you need to. I loved that age, and even though right now I'm totally loving Sven at 16 months, 10 months was definitely easier!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:06 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

We travelled a lot last summer when babynut was nine months. She was crawling, pulling up, and cruising. Our flights ranged from 3-6 hours. It was great! I'm so glad we did it. Like mandycoot said, she was content on the flights and easy to manage since she wasn't really walking yet (although she was at ten months, but still wobbly and slow). The only time I was stressed during our trips was when we tried to delay her nap by a half hour and it backfired. After that, we worked around her schedule and everyone was much more relaxed.

An island with food at home sounds perfect. I personally don't like going out to dinner with babynut, and this set up supports staying in around bedtime.

As far as the wedding itself? Depending on the timing, maybe a babysitter or wearing her so she can nap through it (babynut naps in the baby carrier pretty regularly, I don't know if that works for you).

Have fun!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:10 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I just remembered that we took Sven to a wedding at 10 months, too! It was local, but it went into the evening and I was able to wear him in the Ergo and gently bounce him to sleep. I wore him for a few hours and he stayed conked out. It was great! Like Butternut mentioned, f it's a day wedding hopefully you could pull off a nap this way if she'll let you!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:00 pm 
Married to the wolfman

One of my kids was walking at that age, the other one was crawling/cruising. We traveled to visit people and stayed in unbabyproofed houses and overall it was great. In some ways it's massively easier to do that sort of thing when they're so little.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:02 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Oh yeah, I wore the sleeping Emperor for like two hours at a wedding once. It worked for us, and was worth it to get to go to my friend's wedding and stuff.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:23 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I have a 10 month old right now - he crawls and stands. We can basically take him anywhere within his "awake" times and he is happy as a clam to be held, sit on our laps, be put in a high chair, etc. Even in areas that aren't extremely baby proofed he isn't so bad because although he will eventually get into things it takes him awhile to find them and he is pretty predictable for what he will go for. I would go for it!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:40 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I would totally go for it as well but do have some reservations about the wedding part too...some kids will be fine, especially in a carrier close to you and hopefully drifting to sleep, but for others it might be too much stimulation (or maybe that's just 'cause there was real loud music during the reception at the last wedding I went to). I agree that if there's a nice outdoor area you may be saved, but there could be potential to have to leave early and/or miss portions of things...as long as you go into it expecting that, it'd be fine. And the rest of the trip absolutely sounds worth it!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:48 pm 
Chip Strong

I would definitely do it! We flew cross country for the first time with Ada (so about 6 hrs) when she was 9 months old. At that point she was just starting to crawl. I think it was much easier to travel then for us because we could still carry her in the ergo for naps. We just walked around wherever we were. She was not really eating any solid food yet so we didn't have to worry about finding food that she would eat. The whole trip was much easier than I thought it would be and she loved just constantly seeing new things.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:28 pm 

Thanks so much for all the advice! I love the sound of a happy crawling/standing/tottling baby and she's really happy being in a sling/wrap now so I imagine/hope that will still work in another 5 months.
I'd also quite like to be pregnant again around the end of the year, so I guess if we don't take this opportunity it would probably be a long time before I'd feel like doing anything like this again [husband is not very ...forthcoming... with being helpful, so wrangling two babies on my own sounds much much harder!]

The wedding itself will be very low key, only ~15 people, on the beach, and some drinks and snacks afterwards [and walking distance from where we'd like to stay] so I hope it wouldn't be too stressful for her/me.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:34 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

That actually sounds like the idea situation! I hope you go an have an amazing time!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:40 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I would do it! We flew 5-6 hours to weddings when Scarlett was 3 months and 10 months and both times it went fine. I think I probably have a relatively easygoing baby and I take no credit for that, but for us it was not a big deal.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:42 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I would do it. The main advice I will give is to have a bedtime routine with a lovie that you can bring with you. By 10 months, she will be much more aware that she is in a new place, and that can really disrupt sleep. But if you have a solid routine, that will help a lot. Both of my kiddos have blankies and bedtime music on an ipod with speakers that we can pack. They are the best little travelers and I think it helps that they know that wherever they are, if the blankie comes out and the music goes on, it's time for bed.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:43 pm 

Butternut wrote:
We travelled a lot last summer when babynut was nine months. She was crawling, pulling up, and cruising. Our flights ranged from 3-6 hours. It was great! I'm so glad we did it. Like mandycoot said, she was content on the flights and easy to manage since she wasn't really walking yet (although she was at ten months, but still wobbly and slow). The only time I was stressed during our trips was when we tried to delay her nap by a half hour and it backfired. After that, we worked around her schedule and everyone was much more relaxed.

An island with food at home sounds perfect. I personally don't like going out to dinner with babynut, and this set up supports staying in around bedtime.

As far as the wedding itself? Depending on the timing, maybe a babysitter or wearing her so she can nap through it (babynut naps in the baby carrier pretty regularly, I don't know if that works for you).

Have fun!

Do you have any tips for flying with a baby (other than keeping the nap schedule)?

(And eating tropical fruit on an island does sound like heaven. I hope you have a wonderful trip oncewerewesties.)

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:58 pm 

Oh, nothing too exciting. We always take two carriers, in case she is fussy in one or the other. I prefer to use my ring sling, it's small and can double as a cover/blanket on the flight.

We try to pack very light, so her stuff is always in my carry-on suitcase. It helps me to keep all of her clothes in a reusable shopping bag inside my suitcase. When I get to destination, I can just grab that bag and have all her stuff together. I also have a backpack with all the baby stuff I need for the day in it: diaper stuff, extra clothes, small toys, food, etc.

My best toy for flights is hands down the wallet. I had a wallet that I wasn't using, so I packed it with expired credit cards, old memberships, etc. She loves pulling out each card, handing it to me, and then putting them back it, repeat times a thousand! Hours of fun that takes up little room in the bag. Snacks are also key to happiness on planes.

Now that she walks, when we have layovers we make sure that she runs around as much as possible to wear her out before we board.

I don't know if any of that is helpful, but it has worked well for us so far.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:01 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Quote:
Now that she walks, when we have layovers we make sure that she runs around as much as possible to wear her out before we board.

Definitely this! We flew with DD when she was 13 months old and had a three hour layover. I made her walk, run, and play the entire time. Along those lines, a 3 hour layover is actually better than a 45 minute one where you will basically just be going from one plane to the other. You want enough time for your kiddo to get the wiggles out before having to sit again. Obviously for babies too young to have the wiggles, it won't matter.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:45 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Sounds like an amazing trip!!! I would totally do it, but I also took V from SoCal-Tokyo at ~18 months because I'm insane. I decided to leave her with family instead while I went to Guam last week, though, because of the flight distance.

It sounds like V was maybe on the active end at that age. Honestly, I thought around that time was the hardest age in general. We were living out of a hotel and she was crawling from about 6 months on, and really whipping around rooms from about 8 months. It's really hard to childproof a space you don't own, and that can be exhausting. (For us, the cat litter and cat food were the most annoying things, probably not an issue for you, and crawling into the dishwasher is going to be an issue anywhere..) She was not content being contained or still at all... and the days could feel so long and lonely. BUT on the other hand, she napped in the umbrella stroller easily enough, food was easy - around 10 months they suddenly start eating much more solid food, but I found that a 4 oz fruit puree squeeze pack and a few odds and ends would pretty much feed her for the day. Cereal Os and peas were GREAT at that age, because they would keep her busy for a while.

The most popular toys at that age for us were stacking cups...just building and knocking over towers...and keys were popular.. Unfortunately for us it was not really an age where she would be self-entertained. She didn't have much interest in being read to.. I highly recommend the gymboree "Baby Play" book - their toddler one is good too but basically the baby one will give you lots of activities to do without having to buy a ton of toys or special baby items, so if you're not good at improvising baby activities in a hotel room it might help.

I think you could really improve your vacation by hiring a babysitter/nanny in the Islands. Your friends might know somebody, or there might be a service (these can be expensive, but a pre-vetted person for a few days might be totally worth it)

The flight will seem long, but think about keeping Westiebaby entertained in 10 minute chunks. Unfortunately at that age they're hard to keep entertained with tvs or ipads yet...a little older and I would say invest in a portable dvd player, they're like $100 and lifesavers for us now... but at that age? I think finding quiet, absorbing activities will be difficult, but you'll live through it. I've always bought V her own seat (the Tokyo trip and last week to Chicago) and I think it would have been hellish managing her in my own seat, so if you can swing it I recommend the extra plane seat.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:39 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I second the recommendation of an extra seat. We flew without the extra seat on a 5 hr trip and it was kind of hellish, although Malka was a bit older. At 10 months Malka was walking and exploring with confidence, but there's no way to know what WestieBaby will be doing then. She could be totally placid and entertained by people watching (rather than people climbing, poking, kicking, grabbing).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:44 pm 

So we're back and it was an awesome [if tiring] trip!

Westiebaby was a star on the flight over, napped for an hour in the Manduca, sat in the bassinet and played with some toys, ate lots of snacks, wandered up and down the aisles with me, and had no issues with the ascent or descent, amazing.

Rarotonga was beautiful as ever, she found the chickens hilarious, loved looking at all the semi-feral dogs who wander the island, and had a ball in the sea/on the sand.

The wedding went really well, I had her napping in the Manduca till about 10 minutes before it was scheduled to start, which saw us through till 7pm [after dinner] when I popped her back in and she slept through till 9pm when her and I walked 'home' along the beach and left my husband to continue partying it up!

Our accommodation was perfect, she loved crawling everywhere, walking around the bed, and hanging out on the lawn. She even made herself at home in the wardrobe!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:57 pm 

Aw, I'm glad it went so well! It looks like heaven and westiebaby is adorable as always.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:24 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

wow! what a great trip!
sounds like westiebaby is a great travel baby!
she looks cute as ever!