| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I need a new hair dryer.
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:21 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Hi PPK,
I'm in the market for a new hair dryer, as my current one is about 7 years old and dying a slow death. My stylist recommended I get a ceramic dryer with at least 1875 watts. I have fine hair but a lot of it, and my hair sucks up water like a sponge, so it takes awhile to dry. I'd like the dryer to have multiple speeds (low/high is fine) and multiple temps (low/high and a cool shot). My current dryer is a Conair. My stylist recommended looking at TJ Maxx and Marshalls for a salon-quality dryer at a cheaper price. I don't know which brands are cruelty-free as far as hair accessories go.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Post subject: Re: I need a new hair dryer.
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:32 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The only two brands I can think of off the top of my head that make blowdyers and are cruelty free are Conair and Paul Mitchell, though there could be others I'm forgetting. Honestly, I'm a cosmetology student, and love my pro-dryer for working on other people, but at home I use a Conair dryer and have had it for years without issue. I would check and see if Conair has a dryer that fits your requirements. Otherwise the Paul Mitchell dryers are fantastic, but very expensive.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:11 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I've had this one for a few years and I'm super happy with it. I have no idea whether Babyliss is a cruelty free company, but they don't make products other than tools as far as I'm aware (I'm assuming that's the issue with some of the other common brands?). I went through two T3 dryers before getting this one and even though the Babyliss is heavier I like it much better - works really well/fast and has held up to daily use with no problems.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:59 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Okay, looks like Babyliss is owned by Conair. So that's good.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:37 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I have a Hot Tools model that I really love, and was recommended to me by a stylist friend because apparently they're good quality for a decent price. It works great. I have no idea if they are an independent company or owned by someone else (a quick Google search didn't tell me anything) but they don't make hair care products, which is what the vegan issue concerns?

Mine is actually a tourmaline model (though it fits all your other requirements, and they do make an ionic ceramic model), which is probably the less vegan option in the tourmaline vs. ceramic debate, since you have to mine a precious metal and I'm sure that exploits the planet and people and animals and stuff. I didn't really realize what tourmaline was when I got it!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:44 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I have the same one as Pinko and like it as well. I don't use it very often, though--mainly just when it is below freezing out (or when I am straightening my hair).

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:48 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I love my Parlux - I read recs before I purchased it about a ear or two ago. The company is Italian and I'm not sure if they're owned by another company.