| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: non-food things to do in Chicago
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:12 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Hi Windy City PPK-ers,

I'm going to have one free day in Chicago this week. I've got more places I want to eat then I'll have time to try (the Diner! Handlebar! the vegan Mexican place), but I'm looking for some suggestions on places to visit or see during that time that aren't too expensive. I love most museums and wandering around interesting neighborhoods.

A friend suggested Andersonville, so I may do that. I went to the Art Institute a few years ago, and really enjoyed that so I may go back if it's too cold to explore outside.

Post subject: Re: non-food things to do in Chicago
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:09 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

The Art Institute just opened up a Picasso exhibition that looks really good!
http://www.artic.edu/exhibition/picasso-and-chicago

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:19 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

There is so much to do in Chicago. I was there for a full week and didn't fit in all the things I wanted to do. I really enjoyed Adler Planetarium because I'm a bit of geek. I would have loved to go to the Art Museum but I was with my ex and he just wasn't into that type of thing at all. The natural history museum is by those two also. Millennium Park is definitely worth going for a walk around if it is a fine day.

Navy Pier is great if you are around on a weekend evening. When I was there there was fireworks so it was extra great.

John Hancock and Sears are great if you fancy a nice view. I preferred Hancock Centre because the day we went up was a really clear day and the day we went up Sears was a dull day.

The boat trips are pretty good too. Freezing but good.

I also had to do a lot of stupid walking around to see spots where batman had been filmed. My ex is obsessed with Batman (he goes to see it once a week while it is in the cinema) so I had to endure finding where scenes were filmed then bringing him to see those spots since he was a bit of a moron who couldn't organise a peas up in a brewery. I also had to go to the cinema in Chicago to see Batman there purely because we were in Chicago. I did manage to fall asleep in it for about 30 minutes. He was disgusted.

Enjoy your trip there! I loved every minute of it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:07 am 
Inflexitarian

I always recommend the show Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind, which is billed as a play of 20 acts in 60 minutes. It can be a little pricey for me (costs something like $10 plus the roll of a die- so between $11 and $17) but it's always super fun and a very classic Chicago thing to me. Also a good thing to do after eating at the Ethiopian Diamond...

When you go to the Handlebar, I would recommend walking around Wicker Park a bit and checking out Quimby's (an independent bookstoe/zine shop that has lots of self-published and local things). The Renegade store is in that neighborhood too, plus lots of other cool shops.

The Art Institute is always awesome and there's always way more to see there than I can ever finish seeing. Same for the Field Museum. I liked the Chicago History Museum alright but wasn't very into the planetarium- I just don't think it's that good as a museum. I've never been to the Mexican American Art Museum in Pilsen but it's always free and I've heard nice things! It's a smaller place but the neighborhood of Pilsen is another good one to wander around; there's lots of beautiful murals all around and a strip of galleries around 18th and Halsted and some vintagey and thrift shops a bit farther west on 18th. It's an interesting community that has a strong Mexican community but increasingly is being gentrified (like every part of Chicago?). I know I met a cool person not too long ago who does bike and walking tours of Pilsen with a few different themes, including urban agriculture and murals; I could try to find that person's name and contact info if you'd be interested.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:38 am 
Tofu Pup

Chicago is really a great place to visit. Many museums and parks are there which make that place a wonderful one. Everyone should visit there once.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:01 am 
Tofu Pup

RobeyJason wrote:
Chicago is really a great place to visit. Many museums and parks are there which make that place a wonderful one. Everyone should visit there once.

Key word here "visit" during daylight hours.
Just messin with ya RJ

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:22 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I wonder if the Museum of Holography is still here? And don't forget art galleries.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:27 am 
Inflexitarian

nope, no museum of holography, sadly. i don't think it's existed since i moved here in 2009. i visited once on a school trip as a kid and i really wanted to go back. alas.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:55 pm 
Nooch of Earl

the Museum of Surgical Science is, I think, still around, if you like random quirky small museums.

I took a trip to the Holography museum as a kid as well and loved it.. Another awesome field trip we did back then was Art Golf.. It was basically minigolf where each hole had been designed by a professional artist, and it was our teacher's way of sneaking in an awesome trip to us before graduation under the radar. ;)