| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 870 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garden Chat
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:41 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Tea, Squash family plants can be a little sensitive about their roots being disturbed. Were they in individual pots or did you have to separate them when you planted? I've had mixed results anytime I've had to break up root balls - especially for cukes, but I've seen others do it with better success! So give them time and see what happens.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:38 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Tea wrote:
I've never heard of damping off. I looked it up and it's some sort of fungal issue. The people who lived here before me had stuff growing very successfully in the exact same place, and one plant even survived the winter and is still sitting happily in a corner with no symptoms. Everything else was growing fine before, where would that suddenly come from?

Damping off is caused by a range of microorganisms that are probably already present in your soil. It's usually only a concern for newly germinated plants before they build up sufficient defence mechanisms.

Jill is probably right, they're just pissed at being moved (which if you think about it, isn't really something plants have evolved to do).

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:47 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

What supercarrot said: cotyledons are supposed to die off, that's normal.

The plant in the foreground looks to me like it may just have sun scorch probably because it wasn't acclimated slowly enough to a sunny spot. Happens when seeds are started indoors. Sort of like us if we haven't been in the sun a while, we scorch. New leaves should not have the same sensitivity.

These plants are beyond the damping off stage. But for future reference, and this is NOT a wives tale, chamomile tea can be sprayed no the soil around the base of a new seedling to combat the fungus. It doesn't always work but has worked for me for most of my tomato seedlings. Tomatoes are especially susceptible to damping off. Again, these plants are beyond that stage.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:01 pm 
Inflexitarian

snarkyvegan wrote:
These plants are beyond the damping off stage. But for future reference, and this is NOT a wives tale, chamomile tea can be sprayed no the soil around the base of a new seedling to combat the fungus. It doesn't always work but has worked for me for most of my tomato seedlings. Tomatoes are especially susceptible to damping off. Again, these plants are beyond that stage.

Thanks for the suggestion! I guess a few of what we planted is already in the small plant stage, but we also put down several seeds, some of which are juuust beginning to sprout. So you mean a bit of chamomile tea around new seedlings before any sign of issues?

Sunscorch makes sense... it was very very sunny for the first couple of days after planting.

Thanks everyone for the advice :)

One last question, unrelated to the above: I mentioned there's one plant I assume was planted by the previous tenants which survived the winter and is still hanging out in a corner. I don't recognize it, and haven't had much luck trying to figure it out by comparing to plants on google image search. Any idea what it is?

http://imageshack.us/a/img109/7423/20130522095801.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img11/9778/20130522095808.jpg

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:11 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

collards! or some type of brassica, lots look similar. (they're biennial. it's about to flower you can let it go to seed and then save some for a fall crop and next year.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:32 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I've never had damping off when direct seeding outdoors. But I also have not direct seeded the more delicate stuff like tomatoes or peppers. Squash, melons, cucumbers, beans, the sturdy stuff, all direct seed very easily. So long as squirrels don't dig them up. I've sprinkled cayenne powder around things that are freshly planted to keep the squirrels from digging there. But you have to reapply it after the rain. And then there are squirrels that do it anyway. Gangster squirrels.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:46 pm 
Inflexitarian

snarkyvegan wrote:
I've never had damping off when direct seeding outdoors. But I also have not direct seeded the more delicate stuff like tomatoes or peppers. Squash, melons, cucumbers, beans, the sturdy stuff, all direct seed very easily. So long as squirrels don't dig them up. I've sprinkled cayenne powder around things that are freshly planted to keep the squirrels from digging there. But you have to reapply it after the rain. And then there are squirrels that do it anyway. Gangster squirrels.

Darn gangster squirrels!

I think I'm in a pretty good place as far as hungry animals go. I'm in downtown Toronto and my backyard is completely enclosed, with a very high fence made even higher with wire mesh. I don't think I've ever seen any squirrels anywhere near my backyard (though I have seen raccoons on the neighbours roof). Also, most of the stuff we planted is on your list of sturdy stuff, so hopefully all will be well :)

Also, I never actually read up on how squash plants grow. We planted butternut squash (pictured), as well as pumpkin seeds and zuchinni seeds. I'm reading about how crazy all three of those are in terms of vines and runners and, assuming no problems, it sounds like my backyard has a high probability of becoming a very exciting place.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:27 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Remember those beans I mentioned that I had thought were bush beans but ended up being a pole variant with the same name? The first one (I staggered the planting, not super on purpose) is now over eight feet tall and showing no signs of stopping. Crazy! They all seem to be doing great.

Supercarrot, thanks for your advice re: the leaves on that one tomato. I pulled them off and it hasn't generated new diseased looking ones. (The weather has been great though.) I'm glad I didn't dig up the plant... It's so healthy looking, like four feet tall and three feet wide and covered in fruit and flowers.

Speaking of which, I am *amazed* at the size of the three tomato plants I have in the ground. Compared to the ones I've done in containers, they are so freaking huge.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:49 am 

it's just like bonsai. root mass = shoot mass. your plants will only ever be as large as your containers. unlimited space for the roots = huge plants.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:02 am 

supercarrot wrote:
i had a kiwi fruit that was a bit too mushy, so i collected the seeds and they're hanging out in the fridge right now. in a few months i'll pull them out and see if i can germinate any of them. *fingers crossed*

i had a LOT of seeds, so some i planted directly in the soil without refrigerating them, and i just got sprouts! (21 days FYI, the refrigerator wasn't needed.) they're so cute!! i can't imagine such a tiny little sprout will turn into the behemoth of a vine, but i'm looking forward to it. if anyone in the area wants one, just let me know. i'm gonna let them grow up a bit, but you're more than welcome when they're sturdier. (hopefully they don't go all viney from the get-go.)

butterfinger me was taking the plastic wrap off of the experimental greenhouse, and i dropped it, but there were so many sprouts that it doesn't even matter.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:17 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

So I finally moved out of a flat and into a bungalow with a garden! And I'm so excited to finally be able to grow things. Also the soil here is NOT CLAY which is the only type of soil I am used to. When I lived with my parents, their soil was really clay type and you could grow bugger all in it, and it was SO hard to dig. Now things can grow a lot easier. I've got some herbs growing (fresh herbs, finally!) and a few Sweet Peas and Fuchsias, and some potatoes. Mum bought me some strawberry plants and a blueberry bush too, yes! :)

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:55 pm 

supercarrot wrote:
collards! or some type of brassica, lots look similar. (they're biennial. it's about to flower you can let it go to seed and then save some for a fall crop and next year.

Even better, eat the flower buds in stir fries or salads when they're still tight (like mini broccoli), along with tender new leaves. If you keep harvesting them more will be produced.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:35 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I scored at the local green grocer last weekend. I got callaloo and tomatillos. I don't think I've ever eaten a tomatillo before. What to do with them if I get any?
And I love callaloo, my m-i-l cooks it once in a while. I've never grown it before and can't wait. Since they like the heat they should do well in our hot and humid summer. Although since I bought it the temperature fell to almost freezing last night. Luckily I haven't planted them yet.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:51 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I love frying tomatillos, caramelizing them, and then blending them up with hot peppers and avocados, it's makes a yummy salsa or sauce for enchiladas.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:39 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Transfer of tomatoes, zucchini, peppers and chilis completed! The plants looked a bit stressed of course, but they seem to have already recovered. There will be lots of rain tonight and tomorrow, so I only watered them a bit. The look awesome!!! And they have so much room for the roots, I hope they will get big and sturdy. Yay!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:47 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I finally did some weeding today after neglecting the heck out of my garden. I found so many volunteers and surprises! Tomatoes! Dahlias I thought I killed! Tomatillos I think... Sweet Peas I planted too late so thought they wouldn't take! Platt's black brass buttons! Nasturtium!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:48 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Booooo so much wind yesterday, broke many of my poor plants' leaves *sadface* I hope they can recover!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:43 am 
Inflexitarian

What I thought might have been collards sprouting, I'm now pretty sure are pigweed sprouts. And they're everywhere! Aaaah! I'm thinking wait until they're a little bit taller, because right now pulling them would amount to pinching every square inch of the garden. But, maybe I shouldn't delay. Is there an easy way to pull ~10,000 tiny sprouting weeds?

Also, I'm kind of regretting not sprouting things inside first (or at least shoving toothpicks in the ground everywhere I placed seeds). Aside from the pigweed sprouts which are very obviously weeds (on account of being literally everywhere in the garden) I can't tell which sprouts are weeds and which are not... I tried google image searching seedlings but to my untrained eyes most of them look almost indistinguishable. I will just have to wait and see what they look like in a few days :)

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:58 pm 

My local ACE hardware place has crazy cheap prices on their garden plants. I guess because they grow their own stuff from seed. So check them out if you have one locally. Mine was 40 cents each for tomato plants and everything else you can think to grow in a garden. They're small when I bought them but now my tomato plants are about two foot tall.

So I bought a bunch. My question is: what would need staking or a support of some kind? Like I know tomato plants need support, but what other vegetables and what could I use? I bought squash, zucchini, bell peppers, as well as cantaloupe and watermelon which I know don't require staking, right?

Also, I sectioned off a huge chuck of backyard and filled it with cedar and cypress mulch. That's ok for garden plants?

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:49 pm 
Inflexitarian

snarkyvegan wrote:
The plant in the foreground looks to me like it may just have sun scorch probably because it wasn't acclimated slowly enough to a sunny spot. Happens when seeds are started indoors. Sort of like us if we haven't been in the sun a while, we scorch. New leaves should not have the same sensitivity.

It seems to be getting worse.. here's a new photo: http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/3909 ... 190205.jpg

Do you think that's still just sun scorch and not anything to worry about? I'm also worried I might be watering too much, or too little. My soil is rather sandy, so even if I water it a fair bit in the morning it is dry again at night (testing by sticking in finger to the second knuckle).

Also: The zucchini is definitely sprouting! Or maybe the pumpkin.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:11 pm 

cut it off. it's damaged and can let in diseases. it seems like the plant agrees, and is starting to cut ties. the other leaves look fine. it's just a leaf. they're like geckos. they don't generally care if you cut off a limb.

also, don't get them wet at night. that can make them get fungusy (and squashes are notorious for being susceptible) if you absolutely need to water them a second time, do it midday. (however it'd be better to amend the soil next year with some compost to help it hold more water. this year, you can get soil moist granules. poke your finger a few times around the plant and pour in some granules. they'll expand when you water, and then allow your plants some protection against drought.

but if they're not wilting, they're fine.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:08 pm 
Semen Strong

I am actually glad I started my seedlings indoors, because I really would have no idea what is and isn't a weed. Even now, I have a plant that is showing up everywhere that I just don't recognize, but its not anything familiar so I assume its a weed!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:33 am 

my basil plants keep dying! what am I doing wrong? do I need to grow them indoors?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:12 pm 

Tea - Good advice from SuperCarrot. To conserve soil moisture you might want to mulch too. Even a little extra soil, up to the level of the cotyledons on your squash, would be helpful if you can't find anything organic/better to use.

Vixki - lots can go wrong with basil, so it's hard to know offhand. Symptoms?? They do like warm weather and are especially vulnerable to damping off and other fungal diseases until consistently warm days (and nights) arrive. I often don't plant out until mid-June in my garden.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:32 pm 
Huffs Nooch

After proving I don't have a black thumb by keeping my potted Christmas fir alive (it's named Jennifir.... yuk yuk), I bought a couple plants in mid-May for myself: some rosemary, a cajun belle pepper plant, and a blackberry plant. The rosemary seems to be doing okay, though one is looking a little less verdant green - maybe it needs more water?

I carefully repotted the blackberry today into a much larger pot, so it'll have room to grow. I also moved it away from my sprinklers; the lower leaves keep getting brown edges so I suspect it might be getting too moist? The upper leaves look shiny and green, still, so I guess I'll see.

The cajun belle is doing amazingly well. It gets hit by the sprinklers and I water it if it looks dry. There's already a big flower bud that's quintupled in size since I got it, and it's grown in height and width, and sprouted even more buds and leaves. :D I'm VERY excited about it! This is my first serious attempt at gardening, and since I can't plant in the ground it's involving lots of random tubs and the few terra cotta pots I have, haha.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 870 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 35  Next