| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: spring cookbook challenge - weeks 10 & 11 - VEGAN EATS WORLD
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:03 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Just an early post in case the cooking weekend warriors need a head start ;)

This is the official discussion thread for weeks 10 & 11 of our cookbook challenge.

During this two week period from Monday May 27 – Sunday June 9, choose 6 recipes (or more or less depending on your schedule) from VEGAN EATS WORLD BY TERRY HOPE ROMERO. Come back here to tell us all about the recipes you made and post photos** if you can!

(**Go to this original announcement post viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26223 and scroll down to find the instructions on how to insert photos into your comment post**)

ONLINE RESOURCES FOR VEGAN EATS WORLD

Terry’s blog: http://veganlatina.com/

Thank you to cakenstein and LazySmurf for sharing these links below!
Scramble Tofu Breakfast Bahn Mi: http://www.theppk.com/2012/10/scramble- ... t-bahn-mi/

Sauerkraut Mushroom Soup (Shchi): http://www.theppk.com/2012/10/sauerkrau ... oup-shchi/

Gluten-Free Kimchi Pancakes (kimchijeon): http://veganlatina.com/happy-kimchi-pancake-day/

http://veganlatina.com/punk-and-pumpkin-kibbe/

http://theblissfulchef.com/2013/03/vega ... ns-recipe/

**Shukriyya says there may be a chance for you international peeps, that the amazon.de preview offers a lot of recipes to see, won't work with a USA IP addresss...... Shukriyya says there are recipe previews for pages: 39, 41-45, 49-51, 53-57, 61-63, 66-69, 72-73, 92-93, and 99-100
http://www.amazon.de/Vegan-Eats-World-D ... 0738214868

HERE'S THE FULL COOKBOOK CHALLENGE SCHEDULE:

Monday March 25 – Sunday March 31: Disappointed that one of your much loved and/or under-used cookbooks did not get chosen for our challenge? Show us how crazy wrong we were not to vote for it! Your choice of cookbook!
Monday April 1 – Sunday April 14: your choice of any Isa/Terry cookbook(s)
Monday April 15 – Sunday April 28: Vegan Diner by Julie Hasson
Monday April 29 – Sunday May 12: Chloe’s Kitchen (+ baking book)
Monday May 13 – Sunday May 26: Cookin’ Crunk by Bianca Philips
Monday May 27 – Sunday June 9: Vegan Eats World by Terry Hope Romero
Monday June 10 – Sunday June 23: Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day by Tami and Celine
Monday June 24 – Sunday July 7: Let Them Eat Vegan by Dreena Burton

*If you personally decide to change up the order of the cookbook challenge weeks, please wait until the appropriate discussion thread is posted to share your food photos + comments**

**If you don't have VEGAN EATS WORLD and/or aren't interested in the online resources, feel free to continue to participate in our challenge by either:
(1) Continuing to cook out of any Isa and/or Terry cookbook and sharing your comments + food photos in this thread (online resources are here too):
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26359
and/or
(2) Choosing one of your much loved and/or under-used cookbooks and sharing your comments + food photos in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26246

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

Post subject: Re: spring cookbook challenge - weeks 10 & 11 - VEGAN EATS W
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:41 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I am going to join in on this one! This is such a beautiful book and I have a pantry full of worldly ingredients just begging to be eaten up. Fun!

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:48 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yay! Looking forward to this challenge so much. I won't be starting until next weekend because I get paid on Thursday. I do have the ingredients ready to make the daikon pickles. I know I made them before but they are all sorts of fabulous and I need a jar in my fridge. I'm still not done planning my menu for the rest of the challenge but nearly there.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:10 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

i do not have a lot of stuff some of the recipes call for but i have a few recipes i am going to try marked off.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:50 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i didn't do chloe's kitchen or cookin' crunk cuz life has been busy lately and i've been doing quick n' easy stuff for dinner. however, i miss playing along with the challenge but still find VEW a bit intimidating.

does anyone have some not-too-time-consuming recipe suggestions for me to try that don't involve using the oven (it's not broke it's just getting too hot to use the oven for cooking) and also do not call for speciality ingredients? my hubby really likes asian and mexican flavors. he's not sure what to make of dishes that have a lot of spices/sauces/herbs/flavors and such that he isn't used to.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:02 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

bookwormbethie wrote:
i didn't do chloe's kitchen or cookin' crunk cuz life has been busy lately and i've been doing quick n' easy stuff for dinner. however, i miss playing along with the challenge but still find VEW a bit intimidating.

does anyone have some not-too-time-consuming recipe suggestions for me to try that don't involve using the oven (it's not broke it's just getting too hot to use the oven for cooking) and also do not call for speciality ingredients? my hubby really likes asian and mexican flavors. he's not sure what to make of dishes that have a lot of spices/sauces/herbs/flavors and such that he isn't used to.

I put the coconut kale rolls with peanut sauce on my list to avoid the oven. I love rice paper rolls for a summer meal. I hope these are good. I think I'm going to add baked tofu to make it more of a complete meal.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

thanks, but i forgot to add that i'm allergic to treenuts, peanuts, and eggplant!
hubby does not like coconut!

however, that's a great suggestion for someone else ;)

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:50 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bookwormbethie wrote:

There are a bunch of recipes that I make as quick, weeknight dinners. I'm looking from the testing index (my hard copy got lost in the mail so a new one is on its way to me as I type!), so apologies if they're not in the book/are called something else.

Anyway:

- Tofu scramble banh mi (seriously, you scramble tofu and put it in a sandwich. Doesn't get much easier!)
- Pad kee mao (seems more complicated than it actually is. It cooks super quickly, so no hovering over a hot stove. You could also fry the tofu instead of baking if you really don't want to use the oven.)
- Massaman curry and green curry (probably a bit more involved, but still not unreasonable- and they make enough for leftovers so the time is like an investment, really)
- Roasted gnocchi (okay, so it uses the oven, but it's seriously so quick and easy. It's one of my go-to lazy dinners)
- Adobo! (I love it, but it's a bit too intense for some people so you know, use your judgement)
- Ma Po tofu (I remember this being really quick and easy, but also not my favourite- still good, but just a bit mild for my tastes)

I'm hoping that my book arrives soon or that I can find the recipe for the coconut kale rolls online- that one seems like a combination of two different recipes from testing, but it sounds delicious! I also bought a bunch of kale bigger than my head at the farmers market yesterday and need something to do with it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:28 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I've made over 75 recipes from this already so I'm not sure I'll be taking part in the challenge this time. I still definitely have stuff I havent tried that I want to, so maybe I'll pack a few of them in, but it certainly won't be 6.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:14 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

The scrambled chickpea eggs is quick and easy to make if you make up the oil a day or two beforehand. The lobia is quick and easy too. I've made that twice and loved it. It's also cheap to make which is an added bonus.

You could also try the curried avocado rolls and use fried tofu rather than baked. You could buy some sweet chilli dipping sauce instead of making the peanut dip. I'm planning that as a lunch later in the challenge. I've never actually made it but here's to hoping it tastes good!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:49 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I totally overloaded on sugar and fried things this weekend, and all I could face for dinner tonight was salad! I made the seitan bo bun, which I didn't make during testing but I'd heard a ton of great things about since. I'm definitely not the type of person to usually consider salad to be a proper meal, but this definitely swayed me! It's so good, really fresh but also substantial enough that I was totally satisfied.

When I told Boyfriend that I was making a salad for dinner, he said that he wasn't into it and would make himself something else. But when I sat down with my bowl he was all 'woah, what is that?' and had one taste before asking if I was going to finish it. Good thing I made enough for two anyway! He said it was the best salad he'd ever had, and he would happily eat it for lunch every day. Pretty high praise!

Shitty Instagram photo:

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:44 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Terry let me share her recipe for Ethiopian Lentils here:
http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2012/10 ... miser-wet/

I haven't made it but there is also a simple egyptian lentil soup that might interest you.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:32 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

tomorrow i am making mediterranean baked tofu and roasted broccoli with sage, then serving with with yellow rice and some date chutney...faux indian...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:04 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I'm still working on refining this, but I made an index that groups the recipes in this book by region/country, in case anyone is like, 'Hey I want something Middle Eastern!' Hopefully it is useful. You can download the PDF here.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:36 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:33 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

AP, that is awesome!

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:26 am 

Thanks! It was actually fun to do, and got me a lot more familiar with the recipes.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:52 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Last night I made Mediterranean Baked Tofu and Roasted Broccoli With Sage.

Mediterranean tofu: so I did not use white wine and replaced that with acv. Also my oven was packed with broccoli so I let it soak in the marinade and then poured all of the mixture + tofu into a lidded pan and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. It was good but I bet better baked.

Broccoli with sage: love it! I used a chunky sea salt and I am not a huge salt fan but everything just came out so bright and tasty. I will be eating this again!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:50 pm 

I've got the White Rice and Black Beans on the stove right now and it smells amazing! I'm reducing the cooking time to what it says on my rice package, though, which is 9 minutes as opposed to 20 something. Last week I followed a Robin Robertson recipe that said to cook white rice that long and it turned into total mush after just 15 minutes, so I'm going with my gut from now on!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:29 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

allularpunk wrote:
I'm still working on refining this, but I made an index that groups the recipes in this book by region/country, in case anyone is like, 'Hey I want something Middle Eastern!' Hopefully it is useful. You can download the PDF here.

thank you! i wished the cookbook featured this organization too, you rock!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:38 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

i posted the pic from my food the other night on my blog...i wanted to make the tempeh-rizo tomorrow but do not have liquid smoke. i think i will try the mustard tofu soon!

http://www.missmuffcake.com/2013/05/lon ... ading.html

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:24 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I've made a few things so far.

Yesterday I made the coconut kale spring rolls with peanut sauce. I had to make so many substitutions to this (shopping mishap) that I probably will try making it again later in the week just to see what it really should be like. I added baked tofu, used lemon instead of lime, udon noodles instead of thread noodles, apple instead of pear...I think you see where this is going. They were really yummy and the sauce was excellent. I'm excited to try it again with the right stuff and the variation with avocado. Also, for the coconut haters out there...they were not overtly coconutty. Just a hint.

Tonight I made the sesame panko tempeh, the sauce recommended for it, and the roasted beet salad with dill vinaigrette. Delicious.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:23 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

For my first VEW challenge recipe I made the Greek Eggplant Lasagna (Pastichio "Vegani") for a family dinner. All the individual components were so delicious as I assembled it, I couldn't wait to eat the whole dish, and it did not disappoint. It was a lot of work, but so worth it.

#2 Korean Veggie Bulgogi (Sweet Soy BBQ). So good! I did tofu and two types of seitan. I didn't have enough 5 spice seitan left in my freezer, so I also did some VV white seitan. Both were great. I used plain old white button mushrooms because I didn't have time to go shopping for fancy mushrooms. They were delicious, but I'd love to use oyster or king next time. This was not at all in the recipe, but I also threw some very thinly sliced konnyaku in the marinade and grilled that. Grilled konnyaku is amazing. We enjoyed our bulgogi so much and can't wait to do it again soon!

#3 Sesame Mung Bean Sprouts to accompany the bulgogi, were very quick and easy to make. I was worried that the sprouts would get over cooked and gross in boiling water, but they turned out nice and tender while maintaining their texture.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:28 am 

White Rice with Black Beans was tasty, if a little boring (I mean, rice and beans, y'all). Tasted better with the avocado and a squirt of lime. Only ended up cooking it for 11 minutes, though. 20 would have turned it to mush city.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:25 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Le Sigh. Went to go buy supplies today and the fresh tofu hadn't arrived yet. Won't be able to get back in until Saturday evening. Also won't be able to get my online shop delivered until then too so I will go wild on Sunday cooking.

On a plus side..... I did manage to find pandan leaves! Only took me 5 months to find them!

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next