| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: help me get back on track, plz!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:25 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I'm mostly making this thread to keep myself accountable and get some support from you guys, hope that's ok. :>

so here's what's up! over the summer, I got into a really good routine of eating super well and exercising at least five days a week. I went sugar/sweetener free, stopped smoking, wasn't eating past 8 or 9PM, took my coffee consumption down to about half a cup a day, started running, doing yoga, and going on 20-mile bike rides about every other day. I felt better than ever, had energy all day and night, had beautiful clear skin, slept well, never woke up tired, etc. I was ecstatic about life and loved everything. it was awesome.

then the semester started. and my schedule changed dramatically from only having a part-time job, to being on campus Monday, Wednesday, Friday 10:30AM - 5PM, Tuesday, Thursday 8:30AM - 6:30PM, and a part-time job of working nights and weekends. and of course the tiny bits of free time that I would manage to find here and there were dedicated to studying, homework, and color theory/design projects that took upwards of 10 hours to do.

at first I held on somewhat to my healthy habits; I'd pack enough food to last all day, would go to the gym on campus on my shorter days, sometimes ride my bike to school (about 15 miles one way), and still did yoga Saturday and Sunday mornings. however my classes got harder and my workload increased, and I found myself with less time for food preparation and less energy for being active. sometimes if I had worked a late night, I would come home and pass out immediately (or shortly after heating up an Amy's dinner or something), and the next morning I would be too tired to make anything, so I'd have to rely on eating on campus. that started happening almost every day. and my options there pretty much consist of paying $10 to go the dining hall and only being able to get salad, surviving off of granola bars and bagels all day, or getting these refrigerated pre-packed vegan, macrobiotic lunches that, while pretty delicious and healthy, are super expensive and definitely not filling.

and sometimes I would have some really awful days where I'd be super stressed and coming home from work at like 2 or 3AM (I work at Hard Rock Live, so lots of concerts and private banquets), and I would stop at Walgreen's to get Oreos and eat almost half the box while doing homework half asleep. not pretty. and not to mention that seriously messed with my circadian rhythm. there would be times where I'd be tossing and turning all night MAYBE getting an hour of sleep max and then having to go to school from 8:30AM to 6:30PM where I have to work with giant saws and climb really tall ladders to hang stage lights (I'm a theatre design and technology major). the amount of coffee I had to drink to get to a semi-coherent state was alarming.

but wait, there's more (if you're still reading I commend you)! about a month ago I got myself a boyfriend. he's about 90% vegan/vegetarian, as in he'll eat chicken wings once a year and maybe from time to time put cheese in his burrito. so eating with him is easy! and that's exactly what I started doing. because of my schedule, we can only really see each other for a couple hours at a time, so those hours usually involved us going out to eat. and there's tons of vegan-friendly restaurants and cafes around us, so we had plenty of choices. it was fun and everything was good until I realized how much money I was spending, how much crepe I was eating, and how I had almost entirely abandoned any kind of exercise in leu of spending time with him.

fast-forward to now. I stepped on the scale today and was absolutely terrified. I had anticipated gaining SOME weight, but definitely not 10+ pounds. and that's only since September. that's kinda sorta super depressing. and also, let's not even talk about my bank account. so I need to change things now before this becomes a long-term habit. and here's my plan of action:

[*]no more going out to eat. if my boyfriend and I want to hang out and are hungry, we'll cook together.
[*]no more campus food. I'll buy fruits and vegetables in bulk and make giant salads on the weekends that I could just grab and go weekday mornings.
[*]making time for exercise. I took the rest of the month and the first week of December off of work to focus on finals, so now I don't have an excuse to miss yoga. and those days that I can't do that, I will try to get at least a half-hour of running, biking, or some kind of exercise DVD in. as busy as I am, I KNOW I have time for something that only takes 30 minutes.
[*]attempting an ETL plan. jumping right into the strict regimen is a little much for me right now, but I am definitely going to try to reorganize my eating to being as nutritious as possible. I'll still be snacking, but it'll be on raw fruits and vegetables instead of junk.
[*]no more sugars and sweeteners. my boyfriend wasn't too happy with this because he loves my baking, so I made a rule that if I REALLY want some kind of sweet dessert or something, it's going to have to be raw. that way we can still have fun making it, but it'll only have natural sugars and fats from fruit and nuts.
[*]no more late-night eating. this should be easier now that I'm not working for a few weeks, but it's still going to take a lot of willpower and I would love to hear all your suggestions to help me curb it. :>

so I guess I've got my work cut out for me. but I'm looking forward to making these changes, so hopefully this will work out well. I'll be posting in here with how I'm doing to keep myself in check. any and all advice, encouragement, tips, etc are more than welcome. <3

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: help me get back on track, plz!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:29 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

This sounds great!! You're putting a lot of effort into this, no doubt it will be easy to get back into your routine. I'm also trying to figure out my own plan, if you want an internet "diet" buddy, let me know!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:13 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I have exactly the same problem. I used to dance or do yoga every day and eat very healthy all summer because I had time. Now I'm at school/work all day, I major in Chinese studies, so I spend most of my free time learning characters, preparing texts for classes etc. I'm so stressed that I don't sleep well, so then I don't have the energy to exercise and plan and make healthy meals. I feel that I've gained some weight and I really don't like it. So last weekend I planned my meals for the week, went grocery shopping and cooked. And it went very well. I had food to take with me for lunch/snacks and on a long day I only had to warm up food for dinner because I either had leftovers from the weekend or from shorter days. For me, it's all about the planning. I go grocery shopping (especially fruit and veggies) almost daily on my way home and if I don't have a list of what I need, I forget it because I have so many other things on my mind. And then I don't have proper food, so I overeat on bread with jam for example. (I live with my omni parents, so we do have food at home, but if I don't shop for myself I can only eat bread etc.) As for exercise, I've decided to do yoga every morning because I just can't bring myself to do it in the evening.
I hope I can stick with this.
Your plan sounds awesome and you seem quite determined to get back on track.
And thanks for making me realize I really don't want a boyfriend right now. That'd just be the end of it for me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:14 pm 
Dildo Queen

i know how it is. going back to school always forks things up. but when i'm at school i walk to different buildings around campus and walk to and from the parking lot which is usually a 10 minute walk one way.

it sounds like you're getting a lot of exercise in your classes hanging props and climbing ladders. so i would focus on nutrition and routine right now, rather than worrying about extra exercise if it's too stressful for you (until you get a study break). bike to school if you still can, or go for walks with your boyfriend at night. and make meal plans on saturdays, then buy groceries on sundays. this will really help you stay on track with food and you'll stay on budget more easily.

your goals sound good, and yeah, try to stop eating about 2 hours before you want to go to bed. this will help your food digest so that your body isn't working hard while your brain is trying to sleep at night. also, it will help you get back in shape. being a student definitely requires you to make a big effort to stay in shape and eat healthily because you're dedicating so much time and effort to other things that you're too exhausted to think extensively about meal plans and exercise.

you can do it. it just takes motivation whic hyou already seem to have. good luck. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:16 pm 
Dildo Queen

Anny wrote:
And thanks for making me realize I really don't want a boyfriend right now. That'd just be the end of it for me.

hahaha. i just realised something, alina. HAVE LOTS OF SEX WITH YOUR BF. like at least once a day. that'll burn 300 calories for you.

but yeah in terms of staying on a schedule for food and exercise and school work it's really hard to do that with a penis hanging around (no pun intended)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:15 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

You have a lot of goals there. There was a reason that you did really well when you had lots of time and fell into bad habits when you were busy. Cut yourself some slack and make sure your goals are reasonable in the context of everything else you expect of yourself. Good luck!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:29 pm 
Chard Martyr

mollyjade wrote:
You have a lot of goals there. There was a reason that you did really well when you had lots of time and fell into bad habits when you were busy. Cut yourself some slack and make sure your goals are reasonable in the context of everything else you expect of yourself. Good luck!

I agree with this! that sounds like a lot to do! I'm in school right now and doing well is very important to me so I've just accepted the fact that I'm going to need some help from time to time from store bought meals and frozen foods and I cut myself a lot of slack regarding exercise. No more going out to eat and no more on campus food sound like somewhat unreasonable goals for someone that is on campus as much as you are.

Good luck with whatever you do, but I find it's much easier to take small steps towards my goal rather than trying to do everything at once.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:41 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I tend to do the same thing as you, and say that I absolutely can't do or eat any more of something, which generally just leads me to feeling guilty if I break the self-imposed rule. Rather than saying NO eating out, NO sugar, etc., I'd probably just say that I'm going to limit those things as much as possible just to eliminate guilt if you get too busy and have to break a rule. But it looks like you're on the right track! :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:33 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

semiautomatic wrote:
Anny wrote:

hahaha. i just realised something, alina. HAVE LOTS OF SEX WITH YOUR BF. like at least once a day. that'll burn 300 calories for you.

but yeah in terms of staying on a schedule for food and exercise and school work it's really hard to do that with a penis hanging around (no pun intended)

Yeah, having lots of sex sounds as a great exercise program. Now if only I could have a boyfriend living under my bed and he would only come out for sex and then just crawl back under the bed so I could do all the other things I need to do without distraction.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:41 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Wow, you sound like you are motivated and ready to roll! Good for you!

I'm also trying to get myself back together after doing really well all summer. I went low sugar on the 1st, and I think that was a good first step. Today I went for a run (I've had my gym clothes in my locker, I've just been lazy and making excuses for myself), and I packed a great lunch: tofu scramble wrap with avocado, 3 clementines, an apple, and some nuts. Yum! I feel so good when I eat like this, I hate that I stop. I think your salad idea sounds great. I may do that, too.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:26 am 

you guys are totally awesome, thanks for the encouragement! :D

yesterday was a pretty decent start. I made a big salad that should last me all week, spaghetti squash with veggies for a few days, a spicy cabbage and carrot soup for when it gets too cold to just eat fruits and vegetables, and a couple lara-ish bars. my boyfriend and I did go to Mellow Mushroom for dinner, but we both regretted it. the cheese they had was weird and they didn't tell us it was going to be an extra $3, so our medium pizza with only ONE topping ended up being almost $20. gross. we both decided that that was going to be the last time we'd go out to eat for a long time.

Quote:

I won't be beating myself up too much if I don't meet every single goal all the time. the list is more like something to eventually aspire to, I know I won't be able to just quit everything cold turkey immediately and expect to seamlessly fall into a routine of perfect eating and exercise.

Quote:
Yeah, having lots of sex sounds as a great exercise program. Now if only I could have a boyfriend living under my bed and he would only come out for sex and then just crawl back under the bed so I could do all the other things I need to do without distraction.

exactly my dilemma, hahahah. yesterday I didn't get to sleep until 2AM because we were up watching movies all night, even though the both of us had homework and studying to do.

Quote:
I'm also trying to get myself back together after doing really well all summer. I went low sugar on the 1st, and I think that was a good first step. Today I went for a run (I've had my gym clothes in my locker, I've just been lazy and making excuses for myself), and I packed a great lunch: tofu scramble wrap with avocado, 3 clementines, an apple, and some nuts. Yum! I feel so good when I eat like this, I hate that I stop. I think your salad idea sounds great. I may do that, too.

I bought a massive bag of clementines at Costco the other day. they're one of my favorite fruits and I've been eating at least like 3 a day. :9

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:36 am 
Seagull of the PPK

can i just jump in and point out, congratulations, you quit smoking, and that is probably the biggest thing you could do for your overall health at this point. when you're feeling low about yourself i hope you can remind yourself that you did it, and use it as momentum to get other changes in order.
it's a BIG DEAL and i hope you give yourself sufficient credit for quitting. Bravo!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:44 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:26 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Great plan!

I know I'm having to really focus on healthy eating this month due to the general explosion of holiday foods. Well, that and my always-present desire to snack all.the.time. My goal is to maintain my current weight through the end of the year -- in other words, avoid the traditional holiday weight gain!

Oh, and I run and bike also..... and I'm in Florida (about 1.5 hours south of you)... so boooyaah :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:06 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

If you have a crockpot I would crack it out and see if that can help you out.

You could definitely easily make some veggie rich lentil rice soups that are ETL friendly (I've also made fake indian with frozen cauliflower, canned chickpeas, potatoes, canned tomato and curry powder. My rice cooker with timer makes the rice during the day). When super busy I cut some slack and use frozen veggies too, since they are pre cut and cheap to boot. I usually only bother with chopping and sauteeing an onion before putting it into the crockpot, rest can be frozen (they will be very soft though!). You come home from school/workand eat previous dinner, chop it all up the night before, sautee the onions, put it all in the crockpot, put the pot in the fridge. Pull it out in the morning and put it on low, toss in frozen vegs. If you have a timer, even better, because you have 2 hours of wiggle room before its getting too warm for food safety and longer if there are frozen veggies in there, so it can start in 2 hours and cook til you get home.

If you have a salad spinner, I made the hugest possible container full of salad and packed it in there (paper towels every few layers to keep the leaves from getting soggy) and could eat out of it at least half a week. I'm gonna start doing that again after thanksgiving (though that will put a hamper on my "eat down the pantry" regime a bit, I will just focus on the leftover beans and rice and millet before stopping ETL again and getting back to noodles etc.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:47 am 
Ninja Master

I feel your pain. I lost 30 pounds between the end of last year and about May this year and then I had a crappy couple of months and got lazy, stopped dieting and going to the gym and when I weighed myself last week I'd gained back 6 pounds. SO GUTTED!

I'm trying to get myself back into it so I can drop that half a stone again before christmas and then lose the rest early next year.

Good luck with your plan!!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:57 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Your plan is wonderful!! I wish you the best of luck in keeping it. I know you can do it. :)

One thing that has helped my fiancé and me was purchasing a cheap little rice cooker! We picked one up for around $30, and on Sundays we make a big pot of rice, quinoa, or something of the like. So then for our lunches, we divide it up into little tupperware containers with beans (I eat half a can for lunch, he eats a whole can) and take it for lunch with a big container of greens. Mix it all together and add some tahini dressing, and bam! It's a delicious and healthy lunch. I'm getting hungry just typing about it. :)

Oh, and congrats on quitting smoking. That's huge!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:37 pm 

I've been doing pretty well so far! I think most of the reason is because I'm not beating myself up for 'breaking' some rules. like last night I didn't get home from class until 11PM, and I was starving so I had some soup and shredded wheat biscuits, but at least it was healthy and sugar-free!

Quote:
can i just jump in and point out, congratulations, you quit smoking, and that is probably the biggest thing you could do for your overall health at this point. when you're feeling low about yourself i hope you can remind yourself that you did it, and use it as momentum to get other changes in order.
it's a BIG DEAL and i hope you give yourself sufficient credit for quitting. Bravo!

thanks so much! it is one of the things I'm most proud of, and I hope to never get back into it.

Quote:
If you have a crockpot I would crack it out and see if that can help you out.

Quote:
One thing that has helped my fiancé and me was purchasing a cheap little rice cooker! We picked one up for around $30, and on Sundays we make a big pot of rice, quinoa, or something of the like. So then for our lunches, we divide it up into little tupperware containers with beans (I eat half a can for lunch, he eats a whole can) and take it for lunch with a big container of greens. Mix it all together and add some tahini dressing, and bam! It's a delicious and healthy lunch. I'm getting hungry just typing about it. :)

unfortunately I don't have a crockpot, but I do have a rice cooker so I'll definitely try out your idea when I get bored of all that salad, hahah.

oh, and this Sunday morning I signed up for a 35-mile bike ride in Clermont, where it's really pretty and also kinda hilly. I'm super excited but I haven't been riding as much as I should be so hopefully it won't tire me out too much.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:13 pm 

ok, so the past week has had a couple ups and downs, but I've got my eating back on track for sure. although now I've found that I have absolutely no energy for anything more than light exercise, ie: yoga a couple times a week and a 5 - 7 mile bike ride. this is really disappointing for me, since I used to be able to do 15 - 20 miles a day no problem. :/ I went to a physician last week and got some bloodwork done, so sometime next week I should know if I have any deficiencies or anything. but for now, I bought a multi-vitamin and I'm gonna start taking that instead of just B-12 supplements, so hopefully that'll help!

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]